Four Hours: The Nürburgring 4Hr Companion & Competition

• Thread starter Famine
  • 989 comments
I was considering the Motorsport Elise today actually while completely stock - it feels like a car that can do 8'52's while stock, although I'm sure it would actually need modification and with the MR setup the tyres would be hard to manage. That's why I wanna take something 4WD that won't spin the wheels and make me safer on tyre wear...

EDIT: Actually, I have now decided on a car to use for the event - I've bought a Corvette ZR1 which I have simply given Sports Mediums and nothing else. No oil change done, and it did an 8'50 taking away an approximate guess of time away for mistakes made. So it should easily beat the R8 LMS as well, but I still haven't taken into account tyre strategy and also mistakes I might make - and I made a lot of them in practicing. Still, I'm only looking to beat the S2k Turbo at least so my job will be easier there.

Last edited:
Updated my race report:
On Sunday 23.10.2011, i decided to do the 4hrs again.

Car: Golf IV R32 '03
PP: 519
Horsepower: 420
Weight: 1216kg
Tires: Racing medium

Top speed on Döttinger Höhe: 291 km/h (drafted) and 281 average

Grid:
1) BNR34 Skyline GT-R V spec N1 base '00
2) FT565 twin turbo Audi TT
3) S2000 GT1 '04
4) 400R '96
5) Stage II R32
6) CT230R '08
7) Golf IV R32 '03 (driven by Crowoodl)
8) Skyline GT-R R-tune (R34) '99
9) Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) '03
10) BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06
11) GRAN TURISMO Skyline GT-R '01
12) NISMO 380RS Super Leggera

Finished 1st, infront of the HPA TT. I was 29secs in the lead the last lap, then he pitted.

How about a race briefing in video form?

A new challenger could be:

Daihatsu MIRA TR-XX Avanzato R (J) '99 :dopey:
(you can get this BEAST to 200+ hp on about 640kg, PP are MORE then 500)

Why not use a fully upgraded Suzuki Cervo/swift? Actually I did think about the swift. Might have to test it after the zero.

I was going to do a proper writeup of my race, but as things went from interesting to odd, a small note shall suffice.

I've long been looking to get back to the track with a good, fun car that would be a challenge to myself (I'm still trying to find my own sweet spot), but due to work and other commitments, it's sadly taken far too long.

However, on a slightly hungover Sunday I finally got to do my race. I'd been testing 500PP Sports Soft setups for the Lotus Evora, Honda NSX Type R '02 and the BMW M3 CSL, and eventually settled on the M3 CSL, which is stock with drivetrain upgrades, a new suspension and SS tires.

During offline practice it did 9:09 with a few mistakes here and there, so I was pretty confident I could win - if I drove properly. Sadly, being slightly hungover doesn't do a world of good for driving ability, so I had some messy early couple of laps, clocking in the 9:30 range. This was also partially due to the car feeling different compared to offline practice.
I assume this is due to me not enabling tire/fuel wear in practice, but it really felt a lot heavier and very understeery, which caught me out too many times.

But after 5 laps going into the pits, I was called up to do some work, so I saved progress and went away.
Came back yesterday afternoon, now with a clear head, did my pit duties and trundled along. I'd spent part of monday trying to figure out what was wrong with the understeery bit and came to the conclusion it didn't actually feel like I was lacking grip, so I decided to cure the understeer with violence!
Yanking the wheel hard seemed to do the trick, and properly picking the right battles with corners seemed to save the tires too.
Along with keeping on the actual track, that meant I got 3 really quick laps and the last 2 slightly slower. Clocking around 9:10 on the fast laps and 9:20 on the slow ones. Seemed ok, even if I'd lost a bit of time on the first stint.

But some things started to make little sense to me. I'd already noticed I hadn't gotten my normal first reset lineup - but it doesn't actually seem to conform to the ones C-Zeta posted. I had the HPA FT565, which I'd counted on as being the fastest, but it was far surpassed by a Mine's Skyline (didn't make a note of the exact model, but it was blue!). It was very, very fast and on 5 lap stints it just kept pulling away.

Regardless, I went on to my third stint which was overall quite uneventful, although I went from being 2:25 down to 2:45 down. Apart from that Skyline, I felt I kept up well.

But then things turned very odd.

Coming in on lap 15 for my third pitstop, I didn't get a fuel/tire confirmation box up, autopilot drove straight through the pits, and continued on to the track. It seems Mr. Spectre Bob had decided to take over and did a lap, losing a minute in the process. A third of the way through lap 16, I suddenly got a prompt asking me for fuel and tires, which I accepted.

Fortunately he came into the pits at the end of lap 16, prompt came up again and I once again accepted - and it continued to drive straight through.

But only this time, it left me in control. This car was not meant to go 7 laps on those tires, but I managed quite well. Not a single mistake, while still pushing as much as you can on shot tires, so I was well pleased despite the obvious setback. I was at least still in the running for 3rd.

But well, you don't just drive on tires. You drive on fuel too, and given my 5 stop strategy, I'd only filled for 6 laps + change, so I ran out of fuel going into Karussel. :ouch:

Then it was just a matter of limping back to the pits, clocking a 13:18 lap and knowing I was now over 9 minutes behind. Everything from then went fine, and I eventually finished 7th (and got classified 2nd as the leading car was too far behind me to get classified).

But I have a question:
I consider myself a reasonably good driver, quite stable and able to clock nearly similar times (I was doing 9:08.5 - 9:13.2 on the hot laps on good tires every time after adjusting to the car).
But at 500PP on SS, surely this should be doable? Even without the bug, I would've been about 3 minutes down.
I realise the M3 CSL doesn't exactly sport a fantastic top speed, but that goes for so many cars.

So the question from me is: Did I just pick the wrong car or am I really 10 seconds slower per lap than the others who've done it with SS?
Then again, re-reading the list it dawns on me that not many have done it on SS, and I have no idea how good those few other cars are. So maybe I am doing alright afterall.

Really you need to be no slower than 9'12 on any racing lap. You will be losing a bare minimum of 30s on a pit stop and up to 50s on a long fuelling stop. If that's every 5 laps, you're running effective 9'22 averages across the race and that's not going to win the race. The slowest normal AI runs 9'16s averaged across the race.

power up console, Arcade Mode, 7 laps race on Spa, went to A-spec, got my login bonus, went straight to the N4hrs and got that
Now fingers crossed if I can replicate that.

Edit: Seems like it. Reboot of console, a 2 lap race in Arcade Mode and then straight to the N4hrs yielded the same 4 grids, didn't bother to check the others.

Hm.

Oh terrific. It seems like the type of race you do now affects your lineups - you get this set of grids for an Arcade race, I get the earlier set of grids for a Seasonal and, yes I just tested it, I get a third complete different set of grids for an A-Spec race...

🤬!

In other news, I'm running a sub-470PP car to beat the two rabbits. Not only that but it's largely stock - a bit detuned with ballast and a wing trim - and it's in keeping with the field :D

Edit: Oh, shazbat! I just did a couple of practice laps with the car in varying modes of trim, then put it into a Seasonal to skip the first grid and get the second grid with the R8 LMS and Turbo there... Guess what? Wholly new, never-before seen grid.

I'd hazard a guess that it's not the type of race you do but the exact race (or series - this was a Supercar Seasonal, previously I'd been doing Compact Car seasonals) that determines the new lineup. Or something.

*headbutts desk*

Last edited:
To be honest, this whole 'line up' scenario is well beyond me. I tend to take what comes without the rabbits so long as the car is powered accordingly.

I wanted to have a bash today but alcoholism came between us. :(

What I have noticed, in my experience, is that the starting grid is now more in tune with the car one is contending. This may have been already stated but I thought I'd give it a mention anyway
Before S2 I found myself lined up against a strong grid with even a moderately competitively car. It now seems that, from the last few 'test runs' I've found the line up to be more in the competitive league than getting a hit and miss line up.

After using my RUF RGT '00 for some online racing, I decided to to give it another shot at the 'Ring. I have my pit crew install a few parts and end up with the following spec's:

Horsepower: 337
Weight: 1390 (60kg of ballast was added)
PP value: 480
Tires: SS (sport soft tires used throughout race)

On the starting grid were the usual suspects:
1) Mine's BNR34 Skyline GTR Vspec
2) FT565 Audi TT
3) Amuse S2000 GT1
4) NISMO 400R
5) HPA Stage II R32
6) HKS CT230R
7) RUF RGT '00 (driven by GTsail)
8) NISMO Skyline GTR R-tune
9) NISMO Fairlady Z Z-tune
10) Mine's BNR34 Skyline GTR N1 base '06
11) Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GTR '01
12) NISMO 380RS Super Leggera

Fromn the start I get dropped to 10th place but immediately pass the Mine's BNR34 Skyline '06 in turn one and take over 9th place in the race. I go up the inside of the NISMO Skyline R-tune in turn three and quickly take over 8th place. The NISMO 400R is a bit slow on acceleration coming out of the GP chicane, so I pass him as we make the final left-hander on the GP circuit. The NISMO Fairlady Z Z-tune is fairly slow going thru turn one on the Nordschleife circuit proper, so I pass him as well and take over 6th place. I reach the rear-bumper of the 5th place HKS CT230R as we get to Adenaur Forst, but can't find an opening to get past. I continue to follow closely and when the HKS slows going thru Wehrseifen, I muscle my way past and take over 5th place.

When I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 2, I have the NISMO Fairlady Z-tune along-side me and I'm 11.5 seconds behind the leading FT565 Audi TT after a 9.16.9xx lap. The Fairlady drives past and is closely followed by the HKS CT230R, so I lose two places going into turn one. I out-brake the HKS CT230R going thru the turn and re-take 6th place in the race. In an effort to stay ahead of the HKS CT230R, I carry too much speed into Mutkurve and drive off into the grass for a little armco rubbing. This causes me to lose the position to the HKS CT230R. I continue on without my right-side mirror and I'm able to catch and pass the HKS CT230R going thru Pflanzgarten III (perhaps due to my newly streamlined RUF!). The HKS CT230R drives past me going down Dottinger, but I think that his top speed is limited to about 170mph, so I'm able to draft back past him as we get to the Antoniusbuche overpass. Lap # 2 was done in 9.05.7xx.

I begin lap # 3, 17 seconds behind the leading FT565 Audi and get immediately passed by the HKS CT230R going down the S/F straight. I dive in towards the apex of turn one and take the position right back! During lap # 3, I push my RUF hard but can't quite catch the 5th place HPA Stage II before Galgenkopf, so I don't get the draft down Dottinger that I had hoped for.

When I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 4, I see that I'm 19 seconds behind the leader of the race. I think that the 5th place HPA Stage II is slowing down a bit because I'm able to catch and pass him going thru Breidscheid with ease.

I begin lap # 5 some 21 seconds behind the leader. About half-way thru lap # 5, I have to slow down since my tires are nearly gone, however the good news is that so are the tires of the four front-runners, since I can see that they are all starting to come back to me. I catch a slowly moving NISMO Fairlady Z-tune when we get to the Kleine-Karussel. I take the inside of the turn and pass the Fairlady for 4th place. The Fairlady Z-tune had recently been leading the race so his tires have really fallen off. I dive into the pits at the end of the lap for a new set of SS tires and see that I've used 56 liters of fuel. I decide to take on 26 liters, which will give me a total of 70 liters for my next stint. Already in the pits are the Mine's BNR34 Skyline Vspec and the FT565 Audi. The Amuse S2000 GT1 continues on, so he takes over 1st place in the race. After about 5 seconds, the HKS CT230R drives past the pits and takes over 2nd place in the race. After another 5 seconds, the NISMO 380RS Super Leggera also drives past the pits and takes over 3rd place in the race. After 32 seconds, my RUF gets released, so I beat both the Mine's BNR34 Skyline and the FT565 Audi out of the pits which means that I'm now in 4th place.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 6, I see that I'm 52 seconds behind the leading Amuse S2000. The HKS CT230R is in 2nd place and the NISMO 380RS Super Leggera is in 3rd. The three leaders are all on 6 lap tires so they start to come back to me during the lap. I catch a slowly moving NISMO 380RS Leggera going into the Kleine-Karussel so I easily pass him on the exit. The 2nd place Amuse S2000 is just entering Galgenkopf, so I will try to catch him as well. The Amuse S2000 accelerates pretty slowly after Galgenkopf so I pull along-side as we get to the T10 checkpoint. The Amuse finally gets some traction because he immediately drives past me going down Dottinger. I slide over into his slipstream which enables me to drive past him just before the Antoniusbuche overpass. When I start my drive up the S/F straight, I see that the 1st place HKS CT230R is in the pits, so I drive on past and take over the lead of the race!

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 7, I see that I have a 13 second lead over the 2nd place FT565 Audi. The Mine's BNR34 Vspec in now in 3rd place, the NISMO Fairlady Z-tune is in 4th, the Mine's BNR34 N1 base '06 is in 5th, the HPA Stage II in in 6th, the HKS CT230R is in 7th, and the NISMO Skyline R-tune is in 8th place.

When the 2nd place FT565 Audi crosses the S/F line to begin lap # 8, I see that I have a 12 second lead.

When I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 9, I can see that the 2nd place FT565 Audi is only 3 seconds behind me. This is an estimate only because the game does not flash the split time when the Audi crosses the S/F line for some reason. During lap # 9, I drive smoothly and increase my lead over the Audi to about 6 seconds before the run down Dottinger. This is still just an estimate because timing and scoring has stopped working. I wonder if they've taken a lunch break?

When the FT565 Audi crosses the S/F line to begin lap # 10, I see that I have a 2.7 second lead. Timing and scoring is back! They only took 9 minutes off for lunch! The NISMO Fairlady Z-tune is 6 seconds further back in 3rd. The Mine's BNR34 Vspec is right behind the Fairlady Z-tune. The other Mine's BNR34 is about 20 seconds further back in 5th place. The HKS CT230R is somewhat further back in 6th place, and the Amuse S2000 GT1 is in 8th place, behind the HPA Stage II R32. Even though my tires are pretty worn out, the lap goes pretty well, so when I dive into the pits at the end of the lap I still have a 4.5 second lead over the 2nd place FT565 Audi. I have my pit crew install another set of SS tires and give me 54 liters of fuel. The FT565 Audi follows me into the pits. About 25 seconds later the 3rd place Mine's BNR34 Vspec joins us as well. After another 10 seconds or so, the 4th place HKS CT230R drives past the pits and takes over 1st place in the race. After another 2 seconds or so, the second Mine's BNR34 joins us in the pits. Quite a crowd!

Just as I get released, the 6th place Amuse S2000 GT1 crosses the S/F line and begins lap # 11. Since the Amuse is going full speed, he easily beats me to turn one and takes over 2nd place in the race. Both the 7th place NISMO Fairlady Z-tune and the 8th place HPA Stage II R32 hit the pits as I get underway. The Amuse S2000 beats me to turn one by about 1.5 seconds. At the first checkpoint on lap # 11, I see that I'm 16 seconds behind the leading HKS CT230R. Eventually I need to catch him, but right now I will try to catch the Amuse S2000 who is only a little bit in front of me. I get close to the Amuse S2000 going into Adenaur Forst, and then close again going into Ex-Muhle, but both times the Amuse accelerates away from me before I have a chance. I close up again going thru the Karussel, but still not quite close enough to give the Amuse a scare. I reach the Amuse's rear-bumper going thru Brunnchen and give him a nice tap to remind him who has better tires! I give him another tap when he slows too much under braking for Schwalbenschwanz. With my fresher tires I'm able to carry more speed thru Galgenkopf, so I pull along-side the Amuse as we begin the drive down Dottinger. At the T10 checkpoint we are side-by-side and then the Amuse starts to edge in front of me, so I slide over and catch his draft. The Amuse drags me up to 178 mph before I bounce off the rev-limiter.

I continue to follow the Amuse S2000 and begin lap # 12 in 3rd place some 11 seconds behind the leading HKS CT230R. The Amuse S2000 is a bit slow going thru turn # 3, so I drive past and take over 2nd place in the race. The leading HKS CT230R is moving a little slower than normal (he's on badly worn 6 lap tires), so I catch and pass him going thru Pflanzgarten III and take over the lead of the race!

I cross the S/F line and begin lap # 13 with a 3 second lead over the HKS CT230R who heads into the pits. At the first checkpoint on lap # 13, I see that I have a 23 second lead over the FT565 Audi who has taken over 2nd place. The NISMO Fairlady Z-tune is in 3rd, the Mine's BNR34 Skyline Vspec is in 4th, the Mine's BNR34 Skyline N1 base '06 is in 5th, the HKS CT230R has dropped back to 6th place.

I have a 24 second lead over the FT565 Audi when I begin lap # 14. I dive into the pits at the end of lap # 14 and take on 38 liters of fuel and some new SS tires. While I'm in the pits the FT565 Audi drives by and takes over the lead of the race.

After 37 seconds in the pits, I get released and start off after the Audi. The 3rd place NISMO Fairlady Z-tune has just started up the S/F straight when I get underway. So he's just behind me as I go thru turn one on lap # 15. At the first checkpoint on lap # 15, I see that I'm 18 seconds behind the leading FT565 Audi. The Audi pits at the end of lap # 15, so I drive past and take over the lead of the race again.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 16, I see that I have a 27 second lead over the HKS CT230R. The FT565 Audi is now in 3rd, the Mine's BNR34 Skyline Vspec is in 4th, the Amuse S2000 is in 5th, the NISMO 380RS Leggera is in 6th, the Mine's BNR34 Skyline N1 base '06 is in 7th, and the NISMO Fairlady Z-tune has fallen back to 8th place after a slow pit stop.

When I begin lap # 17, I see that I have a 36 second lead over the HKS CT230R.

When I begin lap # 18, I see that I have a 41 second lead over the HKS CT230R. I head into the pits at the end of the lap and take on 44 liters of fuel.

I get released from the pits just as the 2nd place HKS CT230R enters the pits for his stop. At the first checkpoint on lap # 19, I see that I have a 7 second lead over the 2nd place FT565 Audi. The Mine's BNR34 Skyline Vspec is in 3rd, the NISMO Fairlady Z-tune is in 4th, and the Mine's BNR34 Skyline N1 base '06 is in 5th place.

When I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 20, I see that the 12th place car is in the pits. My guess is that its the NISMO 400R. When the FT565 Audi crosses the S/F line to begin lap # 20, I see that I have a 9 second lead. When the 60 minute timer comes up, I see that I have a 14 second lead over the 2nd place FT565 Audi.

When the FT565 Audi dives into the pits at the end of lap # 20, I see that I have a 17 second lead over him as I begin lap # 21. At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 21, I see that I now have a 70 second lead over the HKS CT230R who is now the 2nd place car.

When the HKS CT230R crosses the S/F line to begin lap # 22, I see that I have a 74 second lead over him. At the end of lap # 22, I head into the pits and get a new set of SS tires and add 50 liters of fuel to my tank.

I get into and out of the pits before the 2nd place HKS CT230R shows up, so the race certainly looks to be mine! At the first checkpoint on lap # 23, I see that I have 25 second lead over the HKS CT230R.

When the 2nd place FT565 Audi crosses the S/F line to begin lap # 24, I see that I have a 36 second lead. The HKS CT230R has fallen back to 3rd place in the race due to his worn tires.

When the 2nd place FT565 Audi crosses the S/F line to begin lap # 25, I see that I have a 41 second lead over him.

When I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 26, I see that there is 9 minutes and 29 seconds left in the race. I also see that I have 50 second lead over the 2nd place FT565 Audi. At the T10 checkpoint I have a 1 minute and 50 second lead over the 2nd place FT565 Audi who must have pitted. I slow down since I need to waste 25 seconds and cross the FINISH LINE after a 9 minute and 33 second lap for the WIN!

Total race time was 4 hours 0 minutes and 3 seconds.

As you can tell, by the end of the race, my RUF was the class of the field. All the other cars seemed to fade more than I expected. The RUF RGT is a bit of a handful on worn tires, but on fresh tires its very fast and I highly recommend it. I was not keeping track of my exact lap times, but my race notes say that I did four 9 minute flat laps (lap # 7, lap # 12, lap # 16 and lap # 24). So the RUF RGT can certainly win the race with a lower tune than the 480PP value that I had.

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Weight: 1390 (60kg of ballast was added)

Glad I'm not the only one running the same ballast. I figure that if the cars we get are wet weight, they still don't account for the driver. 👍

:sly: - 60kg, my actual weight to the T. :lol:

To be honest, this whole 'line up' scenario is well beyond me

Essentially, the grids are preset. Whatever car you have, if you boot the game up and go straight to N4, you get this grid:

1 Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R Vspec N1 base '00
2 2007 HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT
3 Amuse S2000 GT1 '04
4 Nismo 400R '96
5 HPA Motorsports Stage II R32
6 HKS CT230R '08
7 (player)
8 Nismo Skyline GT-R R-tune '99
9 Nismo Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) '03
10 Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06
11 Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01
12 Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera

And they're all always in the same colours. If you now back out and try again, you will get this grid:

1 RUF CTR2 '96
2 Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08
3 Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06
4 Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
5 HPA Motorsports Stage II R32
6 Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera
7 (player)
8 Amuse S2000 GT1 '04
9 Nismo 400R '96
10 Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01
11 Amuse/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350Z RS
12 Opera Performance 350Z '04

And they're all always in the same colours too. If you keep backing out and trying again, you will always get the same grids in the same order, every time.

However, if you boot the game up and do something else that involves driving a car on a track against other cars, you'll get a different first grid. If you, for instance, go to the Seasonals, go to the World Compact Car and do a race there, then come back and do N4, you'll get this grid first:

1 Nismo Skyline GT-R S-tune (R32) '00
2 Mine's Lancer Evolution VI '00
3 Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R Vspec N1 base '00
4 AEM S2000
5 RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" '87
6 Nismo Skyline GT-R R-tune (R34) '99
7 (player)
8 RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7
9 High End Performance G37
10 Amuse/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350Z RS
11 HPA Motorsports Stage II R32
12 RUF CTR2 '96

And in the same colours every time. Back out and go back in and it'll be this grid:

1 RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" '87
2 AEM S2000
3 HPA Motorsports Stage II R32
4 2007 HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT
5 Amuse/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350Z RS
6 Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
7 (player)
8 Opera Performance 350Z '04
9 Amuse S2000 GT1 '04
10 Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
11 Art Morrison Corvette'60
12 Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06

Aaaand in the same colours every time.

What appears to be happening now is that, depending on the series (and perhaps the specific race) you do, the first grid is completely different. I get the same grids doing the any WCC Seasonal first, every time and I get the same grids doing any Supercar Seasonal first, every time, but they differ from each other. An A-Spec World Compact Car race first generates the same grids every time, but again different from the previous ones. An Arcade Mode race generates the same grids every time, but again different from the previous ones.

Normally, I'd want to generate a no-rabbit grid (haven't found one since Spec 2.0) but this time I wanted an R8 LMS/S2k Turbo grid (which I knew came from Seasonal first, then race, then back out, then race). Unwittingly I stumbled upon a completely different grid by doing a different Seasonal...

In other news, I'm running a sub-470PP car to beat the two rabbits. Not only that but it's largely stock - a bit detuned with ballast and a wing trim - and it's in keeping with the field :D

Wing trim? :odd:

Sounds like a racecar to me.

Still pretty impressive even if it is.

Detuned?

We are still keeping with the 95% and up power limiter aren't we? ;)

Right then.
Car used: Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
Tuning: None at all, including no oil change, Sports Medium tyres.
PP: 570PP
Power, Weight, PWR: 621bhp, 1508kg, 411.8hp/tonne

Grid (Lineup 3 after console reset)
1. Amuse S2000 GT1 '04 - Grand Prix White
2. 2007 HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT
3. Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06 - Bay Side Blue (M)
4. RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" '87
5. Opera Performance 350Z '04
6. Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01
7. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09 - Jetstream Blue Metallic Tintcoat
8. High End Performance G37
9. Nismo Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) '03 - Diamond Silver Metallic
10. Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo - New Formula Red
11. RUF CTR2 '96
12. Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera - White Pearl (3P)

Lap 1 - 9:01.460

Jump up to 4th at turn 1. Catch the HPA at the start of the Nordschleife, then catch the GT1 just before Schwedenkreuz - very nervously, then see the leading Yellow Bird planted in the gravel at Aremberg. He courteously stops as I go past, and I'm leading already. Stay there till the end of the lap, 1.187 ahead of the normal S2k GT1 (the Turbo isn't through its own traffic yet). Judging by my tyre states I can safely do at least 4 laps before pitting.

Lap 2 - 9:08.024

Starts OK enough, but the S2k Turbo jumps to 2nd then I get a terrible amount of sliding and let it past. Then he runs away laughing, making me very cross in the process. Mistake at the last corner lets the S2k GT1 get by too. Now in 3rd. Tyres don't look like lasting 4 laps.

Lap 3 - 9:18.493 - pit-in

Both S2k's now long gone. HPA stays very close for a lot of the lap, before getting by right at the end of it when I go too slow out of the last corner. Pit in at the end of the lap, with my rear tyres already looking rather lowly in life. Come out way down in 11th only in front of the Yellow Bird.

Lap 4 - 9:47.267 - pit-out

Get past the Opera Performance 350Z at Klostertal, get past the Gran Turismo Skyline at Pflanzgarten despite it being annoying and forcing me off to get the pass in, end the lap right with the High End G37.

Lap 5 - 9:06.976

Get past the G37 into Turn 1 although it decides to try and fail at cutting me across, annoyingly. Have quite a bad crash at none other than Schwedenkreuz - again proving why it is my absolute least favourite corner in the whole game. Many cars up ahead have pitted...

Lap 6 - ? - pit-in (race saved)

...and through them all I end up in 4th. Don't see another soul up the road though until I see what I believe to be the 380RS ahead at the last corner. Can't get past it, and knowing how low that thing is down the field - and the fact I can't pass it - bodes well for the rest of the race...

Race saved for now - I'm too tired to work at full capacity for now.

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll call it quits. I'm definitely not gonna win, and to be honest I don't think I'll finish that high up the order anyhow.

Last edited:
I ran the FGT seasonal and met a non-rabbit grid after for a test run. I just put this down to chance as I've never been experimenting with line-ups. Until now.

If there is a formulae to this grid then I am well beyond finding it.

I'm aware that making the odds count in one's favour is essential for a win, but what about just turning up in a motor and taking a chance?

Does GT need to be so methodically worked out? :(

In a word, yes. We need the greatest chance of victory we can get. ;)

Aren't we, for lack of a better English expression, missing a trip here?

I've always been a firm believer that GT will provide. I don't question it's motives, it just delivers.

The new lineups are rather welcomed by me as long as they can be reproduced. Pre Spec2 I would have had to skip 20 race starts to get a LMS and GT1 turbo grid. Now I only do a quick arcade race and it's there.

I found the first 'straight to N4' grid the closest so far with a bit left to chance. Or the one I mentioned above for a fast challenge.

Stupid thing is I did quite a few test runs pre Spec2 to find the ideal near stock car to run in SHs. With the change in physics all my results a worthless because I struggle to preserve the tyres more now. Back to square one just as I fancied taking on the next challenge at last thanks to pitstop saves.

But on the other hand GT gained so much depth for me. It's so much fun doing the intelligence before the race. Must be a strange person. Probably. But what the heck, Olaf Manthey can pack up now ;)

Famine would you fancy putting down the lineups/grids in a google spreadsheet? I would be happy to contribute a little whenever I can.

Still pretty impressive even if it is.

Detuned?

Famine is the LAST person who would violate the 95% rule. He absolutely DETESTS the power limiter.

As to whether his choice is a race car... The 2 rabbits are race cars, despite the lack of a number plate. So beating them with a race car is fair play, as long as it's not a detuned LM car or some such.

And yes, Famine does have a habbit of doing the impressive when he sets his mind to it. I had a feeling he would turn his gaze to the rabbits at some point and my records would be ashcanned.

Oddly, I usually put a rear wing on my N4 cars, just for show. It's a tuned car race, so might as well make my car look tuned :D

This one only has adjustable rear downforce, but it's as standard.

Detuned?

Yeah, I put it to 96.0% (it's actually made little impression on the power curve - usually there's a wee flat spot) and put just under 60kg of ballast in to bring it to 469PP. At 100% and no ballast it was 480PP and running - and I 🤬 you not - 8'31 laps...

What is this beast of a car?

That reminds me, I need to put in my signature:

Famine. Is there anything he can't do?

Vauxhall VX220 Turbo '00
187-181 hp, 1005 kg (416-411 PP), Racing Softs
vs. first lineup (with the HPA TT, S2000 GT1 (non-turbo), HKS CT230R, etc)

(cont from https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6088641#post6088641)

I'm posting this as an addendum to my original race report in this thread in order to preserve the integrity of the submission. I've had a chance to look at the replay and these are the additional salient data:

Total time (26 laps): 4:02:41.832
Winning margin: 0:00.145
Average lap: 9:33

Finishing order (again, first grid):
Amuse S2000 GT1
HPA TT
HKS CT230R
380RS Super Leggera
Mine's GT-R '06
Nismo Z Z-tune
Mine's GT-R '00
HPA R32
Nismo GT-R R-tune
Gran Turismo GT-R '01
400R

Also, lap times missing from original post:
10- 9:10
24- 9:20
Also, the gap at the start of 26 turned out to be 25 sec.

I notice that no one commented on my report, as if perhaps it is doubted (and that the front page result summaries were updated to its exclusion, but perhaps the lapse was mine by neglecting sufficient data). While I'm not the most active poster, I assure that my report is neither frivolous nor inaccurate. If concerns exist about the worthiness of my experience, I'd be interested in having a chance to address them.

The 2 rabbits are race cars

Technically the S2k Turbo is and always has been a tuner, as has everything else that isn't the R8 LMS, IS F RC (race cars) or the RUFs (who are considered road cars in this game despite being clearly tuner, guess it's just for the Porsche effect). Tyres that cars come on tend to dictate what they exactly are, and the S2k Turbo comes on SS like many other tuners.

And of course, that makes it all the more annoying it can run with a GT3-spec racer. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Technically the S2k Turbo is and always has been a tuner,

And of course, that makes it all the more annoying it can run with a GT3-spec racer.

Sorry, race car. If it comes "stock" with adjustable downforce front and rear, and runs equal to race cars...

Last edited:
OK, now you're just bragging...

I'm considering putting it on Sport Softs to slow it up and still beat the rabbits :D

It's obscenely fast. Nothing to do with the driver.

I notice that no one commented on my report, as if perhaps it is doubted (and that the front page result summaries were updated to its exclusion, but perhaps the lapse was mine by neglecting sufficient data).

Or I just missed it. It happens.

Last edited:
3 hours in to my 2nd attempt in the Prius TC, (Previous post,) and I'm now 2 minutes up on the HPA TT so this should pan out to quite a decent victory. My best lap last time (which I didn't win) was an 8'52.xxx, but with the 100kg of ballast (set fully to the rear) that I've got this time, my best so far was a 9'02 set way back on lap 2! I've also been a lot more consistent with my laptimes this time (usually between 9'07 & 9'12.)

Once I've finished this attempt, which I should do tonight, I'll put the full 200kg of ballast on for my next attempt and see how that goes...

I do love my Prius TC. I've pretty much driven nothing else since the DLC and it's got over 1,000 miles on it already. I might need to purchase another one at this rate...

Last edited:
Oddly, I usually put a rear wing on my N4 cars, just for show. It's a tuned car race, so might as well make my car look tuned :D

Yeah, I put it to 96.0% (it's actually made little impression on the power curve - usually there's a wee flat spot) and put just under 60kg of ballast in to bring it to 469PP. At 100% and no ballast it was 480PP and running - and I 🤬 you not - 8'31 laps...

Just checking. ;)

I'm considering putting it on Sport Softs to slow it up and still beat the rabbits :D

It's obscenely fast.

Apparently.
Sounds like a very good find.

My ...Ahem.... production car with no wing, I seem to have underestimated a little.
Its now down to 479 PP, but its getting a lot more difficult.

BTW, the lineup scramble was also in some races in GT4.

Dotini did some experimentation withit in the 200 A-spec point thread.

He found that after running different events, the lineup scenarios in some races would be altered.

Clio/Lutecia Trophy?

That's actually what I'm going to try next time :lol:

One hour and 8 laps gone and I'm 4s ahead of the R8. He has... a bad fifth lap. So long as I manage my fuel, this isn't going to be tricky.

Or perhaps it's the other, S2000 shaped, Amuse that the AI doesn't use... The R1.

Or perhaps it's the other, S2000 shaped, Amuse that the AI doesn't use... The R1.

That is my personal favorite tuner. What a rocket.

But since I already did this race in that I'm betting Famine didn't pick it. Besides, it doesn't have adjustable downforce, despite the "stock" rear wing.

I had already thought about using the Clio Trophy but didn't want to be the first to use a "numbered" car. :lol:

Last edited:
Back