**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 24/02/12**

So here's what I have to say about this car.....

I LOVE IT. XDesperado sent me one and another showed up in my UCD an hour later, so I left one stock and tuned the other. Stock, this thing is very well balanced, not too tail happy, and very grippy. It's light and tossable, so you can through it around however you please. Put it on CH tires and it becomes immediately apparent that this likes to drift. There's one very annoying problem with a totally stock version though, the gearing. It's terrible for drifting in my opinion. It's still very easy to drift, but it could be a lot better. Luckily, this nagging problem is a quick and easy fix. All I did was buy the FC transmission and set the top speed to 137 MPH, and it worked fine.

This car is NOT, a drift weapon that will automatically net you 20,000 points at Tsukuba, but it is a good drift car nonetheless. If you're new to drifting, this should be an okay car to try, but remember, it doesn't have much power at all.

Like I said, I netted a second one, and fully tuned this one, setting up the LSD to 60/60/20, making the same transmission changes, and fully tuning it. I don't remember if this can get the supercharger AND the turbocharger upgrades, but I know the other AE86's have both, and that I had the High RPM turbo kit on mine. I didn't need to make any changes to the suspension, and I just kept the Height adjustable sport kit on, and it worked out quite well. That's also good If you don't know how to set up a drift car. I do though, and could probably make this a little better, but I really like the way this car drifts already, so I didn't make any changes.

On SSR5 reverse (One of the locations for the current drift events) I got over 14,000 points, which is very good for a car with such little power. It isn't going to stop people from using the Speed12, V8 Vantage, or Buick Special anytime soon, but this is a very enjoyable car.

Unfortunately, it's not perfect. Just like all of the other AE86's, it doesn't get much power at all. Less than 300 HP in fact. Luckily, it is very lightweight, meaning that it's still fun to throw around, but I still wish you could get around 400 HP in an AE86. Since it has very little power, if you're a drifter who is used to cars with anywhere from 450 to 1000+ HP, you have to learn to take a much different entry line to drift, or at least I do.

That's just about the only downside to this car though, other than the annoying transmission setup. I like the styling, though obviously not everyone will. Other AE86's can't get black hoods or similarly styled wheels, which I think complement the cars styling very well

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts on the car.

Here's a quick overview of the pros and cons on the car.

Pros
+ A ton of fun all of the time

Cons

Overall

I hope you enjoyed reading my notes on this amazing car.

~Turtle
turtle.gif

Last edited:
Another Car Of The Week, another one I've had in my garage and never driven!

I liked this one as it's another nice drive, quite easy to handle really, I didn't change tyres or anything and I wasn't trying to drift as I can't do it very well. However, a few the photos I've saved seem to show some smoke!

Tsukuba

Clubman Stage 5

Top Gear Track

Cheers

Here's one I took a long time ago during the PSN outage.

EigerNordwandShortTrack.jpg

Should have my review up sometime tonight. Sorry about the delay, but last night I was in some pretty good races, and I got side-tracked.

-McClarenDesign's-
-Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff-
"The car trains the driver." -Bunta Fujiwara​

Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (Shuichi Shigeno Version)

When we showed up at our offices this week, we expected to test another Alfa Romeo. Two weeks worth of reviews, two Alfas, so the only question was which one.

So you can imagine our surprise when our producer showed up in a rusty, old Toyota Corolla loaded with a trunk full of tofu, and a license plate that reads "ILVTOFU." After a few questions, it was clear that; A) this wasn't a joke, and B) the owner of said Corolla is a fan of tofu, and doesn't actually love to "F-U."

Right, so what we've got is the Japanese equivalent of a teenage pizza delivery driver's car. Despite a few quick laughs, our producer informed us that this car helped launch a revolution in motorsports, and that it deserves our respect.

2i3l82.jpg
Image Source​

Don't look at me, he said it. He's the one that wants you to put your next teenage son or daughter behind the wheel, convinced that it'll turn them into the next Ken Gushi. Well, we'll see about that.

According to Polyphony Digital (via Translator-san)
Translator-san
Known in Japan as the "Hachi-Roku" (Eight-Six), the popularity of the AE86 Levin/Trueno platform has not diminished in the more than 25 years since it first appeared. And the Trueno here is of special interest- it is owned by Shuichi Shingeno, the author of "Initial D," a very popular comic book series in Japan in which the AE86 plays a pivotal role.

While chassis rigidity was improved by beefing up some body panels in key areas, the car's overall stock curb weight was reduced by 100 kg, thanks to installing a carbon composite hood in place of the much heavier stock unit.

The AE86 enjoyed a long and varied tuning history, from carburetor conversions to superchargers to turbo kits. The method chosen for our car is perhaps the most common of AE86 upgrades: conversion to a 4-barrel throttle body. Further upgrades like the high-compression pistons and a high-lift camshaft heped bring out the famous engine's character even more, imparting it with an exciting power curve where the engine response felt sharp and the torque delivered generously with increasing revs.

A powerful MoTeC engine control unit was utilized for superior control, enabling the engine to attain a 207 hp maximum output, which is very close to the physical limits under normally aspirated tune. The exhaust system made use of an HKS manifold and Trust muffler to extract the most performance from the engine... plus it sounded really nice.

After reading and watching the Initial D series, it becomes quite clear that the author has an immense love for this car. In the series, a young Takami Fujiwara uses it to make his nightly tofu delivery runs while discovering how awkward being a teenager really is. As it turns out, young Takami has been driving since before he was allowed to carry a drivers license, and has become quite good at touge passes, or downhill mountain runs. And his girlfriend is a hooker. Isn't this every adolescent boys fantasy?

And now, it's our turn to prove just how good this Corolla is. Will it make us drifting gods like our young friend Takumi, or will our middle-age shine through and prove how ultimately rubbish we really are? In order to find out, we must first throw out the tofu, ditch the paper cup, and hit the track.

Producer
You have to keep the cup.
What do you mean we have to keep the cup? The water will get everywhere...
Producer
Wanna work next week?
...fine.

After our performance crew looked over the car, we noticed a few things. First, no changes were needed. This car, theoretically, should run like a top. Checking the fluids and service history of the car proved that nothing extra was needed to make this car better than it already was. No engine refresh, no oil change, and the tofu in the trunk leads one to believe you could even eat off the paint on the car. Not even Jesus takes this amount of care in his car. Second, the car was delivered in High Tech Two Tone livery, to which the locals refer to as "Panda." I'm not making this up.

Performance as Purchased: February 13, 2011, High Tech Two Tone (White)
Displacement: (CLASSIFIED)
Max. Power: 217 hp @ 7,100 rpm
Max. Torque: 132 ft-lbs. @ 6,700 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,205 mm Height: 1,275 mm Weight: 825 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 441
Mileage: 326.0 mi.

Well that can't be right. How is a racing genius supposed to tool around with only 217 hp? That's almost as bad as asking Vin Diesel to run around in the next Fast and Furious movie in a 4-cylinder Fox-body Mustang. It's like giving Ayrton Senna a Honda Civic rather than an F1 car. Does anyone have a clue as to what is really going on? Am I being punked, or whatever the hell it is?

Producer
Just test the damn car!
AE86SSRX.jpg

Right. First up is a short trip to our Super Secret Run X to perform straight line tests of speed and acceleration, although I don't know what good it'll do. 217 hp is barely enough to deliver my groceries, let alone teleport some alleged "demon" around Mt. Akina. However, we were astonished by the supposed 4-AG's responsiveness, and eagerness to rev straight up to Jupiter. Our health-and-safety approved, clinically stable racing driver managed a 0-60 mph of only 0:06.028, and a quarter mile time of 0:14.619. In the American car market, that's right around modern muscle car performance.

For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:35.905, 0-100 mph: 0:14.223, Max. G-Force: 0.62G, Top Speed: 155.9 mph

And that got us to thinking. What if... What if we added just a little more power. Surely a man who keeps his car in such immaculate condition would know something was up, but this car just kept begging and begging to go faster, and who are we to deny a car anything?

Producer
A better question would be "who are you to test anything?"
After a bit of arguing and alleged fisticuffs, we set our disgruntled producer off on an errand that would ensure he'd get the proper data he wanted, and we'd get our fun. He agreed (with a bit of persuasion) to take Mr. Shigeno-san on a tour of the facilities, while we set about scavenging any spare parts we could out of the rental supercars scheduled for upcoming tests. The result of which scattered unknown parts from our track all the way to Spain, but we ended up with a Stage 3 engine kit, titanium racing exhaust, Stage 3 turbo kit, a better transmission and drivetrain, upgraded the suspension and threw on a set of racing slicks. The carnage left behind by the donor exotics looked part mechanical, part medical, but what we ended up with was something straight out of Frankenstein's laboratory.

The turbo and engine kit added an additional 82 hp. and 66 ft-lbs. of torque, for a total of 299 and 168 respectively. Again we thrashed the track, our racing driver firing on all cylinders.. or what-have-you.. and promptly established a 0-60 mph of 0:04.356 and a quarter-mile time of 0:12.921. With a bit of tuning and tweaking, we might be able to break into supercar territory! From a bloody Corolla!

For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:32.164, 0-100 mph: 0:10.376, Max. G-Force: 1.01, Top Speed: 153.6

After a quick celebration, we received word that our producer was on his way back. There would be no time to undo everything we'd torn apart, but if we hurried we could get the 8-6 back to near-as-perfect condition before they returned. Quickly, the crew swept the parts under the exotics, taped some body work, and they were at least passable. So long as no one tried to start them. Or move them. Or happen to look under them.

4aTofuRun.jpg

The next day we were greeted by our host at a new track being developed in Japan. However, currently there were no roads leading to the track that were actually fit for our cars, as they'd all been chewed up by the construction vehicles. We'd have to parachute our crew, equipment, and the car onto the track via Japanese military helicopter.

Mt. Fusterkluc. The locals call it a profile of the best touge corners in all of Japan, but I find it scary as hell. Shuichi-san is taking me on a lap in his AE86, and I can't help but wet myself. On one hand, it is rather embarrassing. On the other, it's not nearly as embarrassing as flying over a cliff, which I'm clearly about to do.

And then, as if touched by the hand of God himself, he brings it all back inline as if nothing were happening. Through a turn nicknamed "The Nipple," the car glides through what is clearly a breaking point, just before being saved from the wall by nothing more than the compression of both air and space. This car, through the use of no electronics or wizardry, defies both religion and the laws of physics. With the proper inputs, it becomes a scalpel in a surgeon's hand.

In my hand, it's just another stupid Corolla that won't bloody well turn. The understeer is epic, the back end unpredictable, and the track is rushing up at frightening speeds. Shuichi-san just sits in the passenger seat, looking amused, then yanks on the wheel and all is right with the world.

How in the hell did he just do that?

After a few laps and some coaching, I'm able to extract more and more from the car. Strangely, I'm also more in-tune with my surroundings. Shuichi-san teaches me to hear things I've never heard before, like the precise pitch of the tires as they approach their cornering limits. Or the approach of the turn and angle of attack from miles away. I learn the rhythm of the track, and how to induce the car's natural tendencies, not react or panic. Into the night, I became hooked.

It's sad that more companies aren't able to produce cars this good anymore. Yes, the name "Panda Trueno" is a bit daft, but then so is FR-S. It's cheap, underpowered, and extremely under-appreciated. Because there isn't very much power, I can feel confident putting my teenage daughter behind the wheel. I can't however, be confident that she won't be texting, so I'll have to eventually show her how to drive the thing. I'll have to become Bunta, and mold her into the next legend. Although the actual tofu shop no longer exists, the spirit remains, as evidenced by Toyota's upcoming 86 GT.

Perhaps now is also an appropriate time to start saving for her fines. Till then, I'll drive the car around. I may even see about getting one of those vanity plates.

ILVTOFU​

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtplanet: GTKitty4Prez :gtplanet:. Please consult doctor before use. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Gran Turismo Boutique. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. Offer not valid to those that breathe air.

Last edited:
Please don't let this thread die. I hope to be home in two to three days and see what this thing can do. :dopey:

krenkme
Please don't let this thread die. I hope to be home in two to three days and see what this thing can do. :dopey:

By then we'll have a new car, but its never to late to post.

The thread is eternal.

Well, I've gotten my 8-6SS running pretty well at TM for me at least(you all saw my ring times:ouch:) however it is a complete and utter disaster on G Trail. I don't think I can get back on the PS in time too fix it by friday so I may have to pull out of my own(ish) challenge:dunce:. Let the booing comence I guess:banghead:.

I really enjoy the concept behind this idea... I only have 721 cars to date, and this thread has led me to try 3 cars I've haven't driven yet! With 1000+ cars in the game, it's very easy to pass over a slew of hidden gems. Personally, I will be looking forward to more COTW's. Great idea, and I thank TMG and the rest behind it... 👍👍

Have a good one

I really enjoy the concept behind this idea... I only have 721 cars to date, and this thread has led me to try 3 cars I've haven't driven yet! With 1000+ cars in the game, it's very easy to pass over a slew of hidden gems. Personally, I will be looking forward to more COTW's. Great idea, and I thank TMG and the rest behind it... 👍👍

Have a good one

Ain't no fun if the homies get none.

oh, and..

Now I'm feelin so fly in my 8-6

..okay, that was horrible. Or, if you're Natsuke Mogi, whore-able.

McClarenDesign
By then we'll have a new car, but its never to late to post.

The thread is eternal.

Sorry to have failed on your choice for car of the week :(

*cocks gun...
BANG*

comandorando87
Well, I've gotten my 8-6SS running pretty well at TM for me at least(you all saw my ring times:ouch:) however it is a complete and utter disaster on G Trail. I don't think I can get back on the PS in time too fix it by friday so I may have to pull out of my own(ish) challenge:dunce:. Let the booing comence I guess:banghead:.

Hey, we're all here to have fun and enjoy this game! It doesn't mean you have to stop enjoying a car just because the week is over. Build, race, enjoy. Have FUN!

Hey, we're all here to have fun and enjoy this game! It doesn't mean you have to stop enjoying a car just because the week is over. Build, race, enjoy. Have FUN!

And post your results. This is all about the experience, and sharing it with others in a constructive, yet fun way.

N stuff.

Had a go in this the other night, while not a quick car by any means, it was fun to drive. Does have a tendency to step out a fair bit though. Shame you can't stick a rear spoiler on it.

Great idea, and I thank TMG and the rest behind it... 👍👍

Ain't no fun if the homies get none.

I'm not sure if you're mis-understanding me or if I'm the one that's mis-understanding you, but my intentions were to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread so far. Personally, I enjoyed reading your reviews (as well as other's), and could only wish I could write as well as you...

Great job people, keep this idea going!

Have a good one

My point was that we're glad you're having fun, and to encourage others to as well.

Thats what i get for being so gangsta...lol.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Still driving sideways. This car is fun. I need to stop, but........weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

McClarenDesign
Decaf. Trust me.

I don't drink coffee at all. No hot drinks for me. Something about a mouth full of hot liquid does nothing for me. :ill:

Anyway, back to......oops.....ah.......weeeeeeeeee!

The Outlaw Rants
First for those who may not know me I'm the proprietor and head outlaw of Wallbanger's Cafe & Outlaw Motorsports Garage over in the Tuning Forum.

Now unfortunately between Sony running server maintenance and my 83 year old mother getting hooked on Initial D, I don't have the photos ready to go along with this.:drool:

Anyways here goes nothing.:D

When this car was announced I was immediately intrigued as some time ago before opening my Café and recruiting my band of Merry Men I had tuned a Toyota Corolla Levin GT-APEX (AE86) '83 that I used to trounce the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini in a certain Seasonal race that is sadly no longer with us. Indeed I had so much fun with the car that it was one of the first tunes posted in the Outlaw Motorsports Garage. So remembering the fun I had with that car I set off eagerly to find my collection of AE86s and put both the standard Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83 and the S. Shigeno Ver. '00 through their paces.

First up was an original '83 painted in a rather handsome High Flash Two-Tone a bright red and black combination that set the car off nicely. With just over 6,000 miles on it a quick body alignment and oil change were all that was needed to have it purring like new. Only weighing 940kg and producing a respectable 133HP and 115ft-lb torque it was rated at 365PP. Perfect I thought, let's head over to the current 400PP Seasonal Challenge race on Autumn Ring Mini and see how it runs. Rushing into the first corner on the original equipment CS tires and stock suspension it started off understeering badly then as the Wallbanger here frantically mashed the brakes in an attempt to avoid the sand trap the front suddenly found purchase on the track, the body rolled wildly, and the rear end broke free snapping the car around to face back the way it had come. Oops not the best way to start a race. Getting the car oriented in the right direction ole Harvey set off after the pack once more. Understeer at every corner which could change without warning to snap oversteer combined with less than stellar acceleration and the Wallbanger's rather limited driving skills proved to much and so 5th was the best that could be achieved. Not wanting to break the bank just yet and confident that only minor adjustments and a bit more control was all that was needed a set of SH tires was quickly acquired along with some trick Enkei JS+M wheels were mounted and ole Harvey was ready to start the next race. While the tires showed a small improvement in the handling the Wallbanger had to settle for a 4th place finish. Minor engine upgrades consisting of a new ECU, Sports Air Filter, Sports Exhaust Manifold and Sports Exhaust gave it better power but left the Wallbanger in third as it was still slugish in its acceleration. Next the car got stripped of all excess weight and fitted with a 5speed close ratio transmission, Twin-plate clutch, Semi-Racing flywheel and a Carbon Drive Shaft. A touch of power limiter was needed to keep it at 400PP (99.7% power limiter) but now ole Harvey felt confident that the win was now his. Acceleration was much crisper and handling was once again improved but much to the Wallbanger's disgust a '96 Prelude SiR was now leading the way and despite his best efforts a second place finish 1.5 seconds back was the best he could manage. Back into the shop the car went to get a Height adjustable suspension kit installed. Then it was back to the track where he finally managed a win by .5 of a second over that cursed Prelude.

Well now that an initial impression of the original Sprinter Trueno '83 had been gained it was time to check out the SS Ver. '00. Now for those who don't know S. Shigeno was the author of the Initial D manga. (comic book for those not familiar with what a manga is) The hero of these manga drove a Panda (white and black) Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83 that his father a retired street racer had modified into the fastest downhill street car around. S. Shigeno owns an actual copy of this famous car and PD has included it for our enjoyment. Of course with that sort of background the Wallbanger had high expectations for this car. At 825kg its 11kg lighter than the fully lightened '83. 217HP and 132ft-lb of torque give it 441PP. Unable to find a suitable seasonal race to enter with it ole Harvey decided to take it to Trial Mountain and put it through its paces, it was supposed to be a monster Touge car after all. Sad to say but the Wallbanger found the cars performance to be less than stellar with rather to much understeer and little of the expected tail happy driftiness he expected to be found. Despite his best efforts a 1:46.823 was the best time he could manage.

Back to the '83 he went. Giving it Stage 2 engine tuning to match the SS version, the Wallbanger also added a Sports Intake manifold, Racing Air Filter, Sports Catalytic Converter and a Low RPM range Turbo. With the power limiter set to 99.9% the '83 matched the SS versions 441PP exactly. It now sported 207HP and 178ft-lb torque. A few laps of Trial Mountain and ole Harvey set a fast lap of 1:45.931 nearly a second faster than the SS. Hmm, well maybe it was just the suspension tune...

Anyways now it was time to see how much more he could get out of the SS. Turns out upgrade options are rather limited. Stage 3 engine tuning, Titanium Racing Exhaust and either a mid RPM Range Turbo or a High RPM Range Turbo are it for more power. A fully customizable transmission is available but as it only supplies you with 5 gears the 5speed Close Ratio Transmission the car comes stock with will work just fine on most tracks as it has a rated top speed of 165mph a figure your unlikely to see on most courses even with the 299HP and 168 ft-lb of torque you get with the high RPM Turbo. Of course a Fully Customizable Suspension kit is a welcome addition to any tune. Well with the extra power and a newly tuned suspension it was back to Trial Mountain. The car was now rated at 482PP and with some fine tuning to the suspension managed a slightly more respectable time of 1:44.063 on its SH tires.

Back into the '83 the Wallbanger dove he was a man on a mission. With full upgrades the car produced 269HP down 30HP from the SS but it also produced 194ft-lb torque which was some 26ft-lb more, hmm. The Fully Customizable Transmission, which gave it 6 gears, needed to be installed as both the 5 and 6 speed Close ratio transmission topped out at 133mph meaning the car would be bouncing off the rev limiter down the long straight at the top of the mountain. A fresh coat of Green Mica Metallic paint applied to both the body and wheels and ole Harvey Wallbanger had his Keiichi Tsuchiya Version ready to go. Wait, who's Keiichi Tsuchiya you ask? He is also known as Dori-Kin (Drift King) the real life model for S. Shigeno's hero in Initial D, and a former street racer turned professional race car driver and one of the main forces behind the creation of professional Drift series in both Japan and the U.S. His chosen color is Jade Green and his first car as a street racer was...yes you guessed it an '83 Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX. So anyways it was back to the mountain with the newly named KT version. With its 6 speeds keeping it well within its power band at all times it posted a respectable 1:44.429, not bad you say considering it was down 30HP and 9PP, but for the Wallbanger that wasn't good enough. You see he had noticed on earlier trips to GTAuto that there was a wing available for the '83. Mounting a Type A, whose angular ole skool looks best suited the shape of the car, it was back to Trial Mountain for one last run. Final result...1:42.985!

So after all this what does the head Outlaw think of this weeks CotW? When the suspension is properly tuned the car can be a lot of fun to drive. With that being said the limited PP range and lack of available tuning options (yes I know its a tribute car but can't I at least give it a more interesting color paint job?:drool:) limits its appeal mainly to fans of Initial D. Find a low mileage '83 (the OCD has both the Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83 and the Toyota Corolla Levin GT-APEX (AE86) '83 available now as 0/0/0 cars) as it is much more versatile and when properly tuned will outperform the SS '00.

Last edited:
XDesperado67, or Harvey, great work as always. As the seventh fastest driver in your 500PP FF Grand Valley Challenge, I was wondering did it at all frustrate you that you could not paint the C.O.T.W?

XDesperado67, or Harvey, great work as always. As the seventh fastest driver in your 500PP FF Grand Valley Challenge, I was wondering did it at all frustrate you that you could not paint the C.O.T.W?
Didn't you read my last paragraph?:odd::lol:

I was surprised that it would allow you to change the wheels. Maybe I should have mounted some bling wheels to make it stand out from all the other SS '00s:crazy:

Bloody cell phone.:mad:
@McClarenDesign thanks for the heads up link is fixed now.

I'll hopefully get some photos posted today to go with the above rant.
Most likely won't get tunes posted for the cars until at least tomorrow.
Once I post the tunes I'll place the cars on share.👍👍

Last edited:
XDesperado67
Didn't you read my last paragraph?:odd::lol:

I was surprised that it would allow you to change the wheels. Maybe I should have mounted some bling wheels to make it stand out from all the other SS '00s:crazy:

I thought you were more surprised than irked. Even being able to paint the top only would be good.

Milldrum
I thought you were more surprised than irked. Even being able to paint the top only would be good.

But then it wouldnt be panda! I want gt86 panda'd.

McClarenDesign
But then it wouldnt be panda! I want gt86 panda'd.

I don't mind pandas, killer whales or at a stretch, skunks or the worlds worst zebra. But I would also have liked to try to add a little color.

Back to the track, weeeeeeeeeee! Side ways in this is so easy.

Back