Grand Valley 300km Companion & Competition

• Thread starter GTsail
  • 291 comments
I have decided that its time to take on the Valley with the Red HKS EVO IX.

Yes it was way too powerful for any car on the track but i had just unlocked level 25 and wanted to get myself into the mood of Endurance racers.

Smashed it out in 2hours 3minutes.....

Welcome to the Valley!

Yeah, its nice to sometimes smash the field, but usually I get bored by the end of the race if its too easy, so that's why eventually I re-try these endurance races with lesser cars.

Ollie89
..... I did well on Racing Soft tyres i had to pit every 7laps and i filled up twice within the 60 lap event....

Every 7 laps?

That must have put a crimp in your tire budget!

See you on the track!
GTsail

Hahaha it was more lf a get myself ready for longer racers more like it :-) im using the Valley as a entry point.

I will prob try it next with STi 4 door sedan 466PP with 390BHP ;-)

Apart from that thanks for the welcome.

Happy racing :-)

Encouraged by Dotini's recent success with a Toyota MR-S, I check my garage for Toyota's and cast my eyes upon a silver Toyota MR2 Spyder 6MT '02 that should provide me with some entertainment in the Valley.

I have my pit crew perform their usual tuning magic, and receive some expert advice from a fellow competitor (the aforementioned Dotini), so after some track testing my MR2 has the following specs:

Horsepower: 192
Weight: 1010 (added 30kg of ballast)
PPValue: 420
Tires: SH (used throughout the race)
Wing at: 5 (the minimum)
P.Limiter: 94.9%
No skid

After some grid searching I settle for lineup # 6:
------------------------------------------------
1) Honda NSX '90
2) Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
3) Impreza Coupe WRX type R
4) Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
5) Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A '02
6) Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01
7) GTsail in the Toyota MR2
8) Nissan 300ZX 2seater Z32 '98
9) Mits Lancer EVO IX GSR '05
10) Subaru Legacy B4 Blitzen '00
11) Nissan Fairlady Z Roadster '03
12) Nissan Fairlady Z Version ST '02

Off the start line I coast for a bit to let the field stream past (supremely confident as usual!), and follow the blue Fairlady Z Version ST into the first hairpin. I pass the 11th place Fairlady Z Roadster (he was passed by the other Fairlady going thru the 1st hairpin) going thru the sweeping left-hander after the second hairpin. I only need to put two tires on the cement to make this pass. I then pass the 10th place red Fairlady Z Version ST as we go thru the tight left-hander just before the 1st tunnel. Up next is the 9th place Legacy B4 Blitzen who I pass going across the bridge for the first time. At the end of lap # 1, I'm 10 seconds behind the race leading Honda NSX '90 after a 2.28.043 lap.

At the beginning of lap # 2, I draft past the 8th place Lancer EVO IX GSR going into the first hairpin. I then pass the 7th place Nissan 300ZX going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel.

At the beginning of lap # 3, I've pulled along-side the Toyota Supra 3.0GT going into the first hairpin. The Supra doesn't want to give me the position so he smacks my right-rear fender and I get dumped into the sand! It takes me about 10 seconds to get back on the track and underway again! At the first checkpoint on lap # 3, I find myself in 12th place again a full 26 seconds behind the race leading Honda NSX '90. I contemplate a race-restart, but decide to continue on (I will file a protest with the race stewards after the race).

On lap # 4, I pass the 11th place Legacy B4 Blitzen going thru the fast sweepers between the two hairpins. I then pass the 10th place Fairlady Z Version ST going thru the left-hander just before the 2nd tunnel. Up next is the 9th place Fairlady Z Roadster who I pass going thru the final esses. At the end of lap # 4, I see that I'm 29 seconds behind the leading NSX '90.

On lap # 5, I catch and pass the 8th place Toyota Supra 3.0GT going thru the fast sweepers between the two hairpins. I trade some paint with the Supra to indicate my displeasure. Up next is the 7th place Lancer EVO IX GSR who I pass going thru the final esses. At the end of the lap I'm still a full 30 seconds behind the race leading NSX '90.

On lap # 6, I pass the 6th place Nissan 300ZX going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel.

At the end of lap # 7, I draft past the 5th place Toyota Soarer 430SCV on the S/F straight after a new lap reconrd of 2.16.492. I'm now 32 seconds behind the race leading NSX '90.

On lap # 8 I set a new lap record of 2.15.673.

On lap # 10 I catch and pass the 4th place 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd going across the bridge. At the end of lap # 10, I get the news that I am 27 seconds behind the leading NSX after a new lap record of 2.15.280.

Looking ahead up the track on lap # 12, I notice that the Mazda RX-7 Spirit has caught up with the first place Honda NSX '90.

At the end of lap # 15, I see that I'm only 19 seconds behind the leading NSX '90. The first place NSX has started to fade on his worn tires, so I think there's a good chance that the 2nd place Mazda RX-7 will pass him shortly.

Just as I begin to drive up the S/F straight at the end of lap # 18, I see that the Honda NSX '90 has entered the pits which allows the Mazda RX-7 to take over the lead of the race. The Mazda should have passed the NSX a lap or two earlier because they both lost a lot of time to me since I'm now only 7 seconds behind them. I get a draft off the Impreza Coupe WRX type R going up the S/F straight, so I beat him into the first hairpin at the beginning of lap # 19 and take over 2nd place in the race. The Impreza Coupe WRX gives me a light tap on my rear-bumper just as we accelerate out of the hairpin, so I guess he was displeased with my over-taking move.

At the end of lap # 20, I see that I'm 6.5 seconds behind the leading Mazda RX-7. My tires still seem pretty good, so I will see if I can get 25 laps out of them.

On lap # 24, I drive past the Toyota Soarer going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel.

On lap # 25, I pass the Legacy B4 Blitzen as I accelerate away from the first hairpin. I then pass the Toyota Supra Turbo going thru the fast sweepers between the two hairpins. I'm now only one second behind the leading Mazda RX-7. My tires still look ok, but they feel like they've lost some grip and my lap times have started for get worse, so I pit at the end of lap # 25 for a new set of SH tires and 10 liters of fuel. There's already a car in the pits, and another car follows me in (the Toyota Supra Turbo). I also get passed by three other cars while I'm in the pits.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 26, I see that I'm 31 seconds behind the race leading MAzda RX-7. The honda NSX '90 is back in 2nd place and the Impreza Coupe WRX type R is back in 3rd place.

On lap # 28, I first pass the Legacy B4 Blitzen going thru the fast sweepers between the hairpins, and then the Nissan 300ZX on the exit from the second hairpin. At the end of the lap I get a draft from the 3rd place Impreza Coupe WRX. So going into the first hairpin on lap # 29, I pass the Impreza WRX and take over 3rd place in the race.

The Mazda RX-7 pits at the end of lap # 29 and hands the race lead over to the Honda NSX '90. At the first checkpoint on lap # 29, I get the news that I'm 12.7 seconds behind the NSX.

On lap # 32, I pass the Toyota Soarer as I accelerate away from the second hairpin.

On lap # 33, I pass the 6th place Lancer EVO IX GSR going thru the final esses.

On lap # 34, I catch and pass the first place Honda NSX '90 as we go across the bridge. Recently, the NSX has been drifting every turn, so his lap times are now slow enough for me to catch him.

I have a 9 second lead over the Honda NSX when he pits at the end of lap # 36.

At the first checkpoin on lap # 37, I see that I now have a 26 second lead over the 2nd place Mazda RX-7.

At the end of lap # 40, my lead has been reduced to 24.6 seconds by the MAzda RX-7 even though I set a new lap record of 2.15.259

On lap # 43, I pass the Legacy B4 Blitzen on the exit from the second hairpin. I also pass the Toyota Supra Turbo as we go thru the first tunnel.

On lap # 45, I check my tires and they are still decent, but with a 23 second lead I decide to pit for a new set of SH tires and 10 liters of fuel. I get passed by two back-markers while I'm in the pits, plus by the Mazda RX-7, so I begin lap # 46 in 2nd place.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 46 I see that I'm 6 seconds behind the MAzda RX-7.

At the end of lap # 49, I reach the rear-bumper of the race leading Mazda RX-7. This gives me the opportunity to draft past the Mazda as I begin lap # 50. The race is essentially over at this point because the Mazda still needs to pit again. So I'm going to skip the rest of my notes. The Mazda RX-7 pits again at the end of lap # 58, so my lead balloon's out to nearly 60 seconds.

After 2 hours, 18 minutes and 8.359 seconds I take the win!

Finishing order:
----------------
1) GTsail in the MR2
2) Honda NSX '90 ------ 57 seconds back
3) Mazda RX-7 --------- 60 seconds back
4) Impreza WRX -------- 2 minutes back
5) 350Z Gran Turismo -- 1 lap down
6) Fairlady Z Ver. ST - 1 lap down
7) Lancer EVO IX ------ 2 laps down
8) Toyota Soarer ------ 2 laps down
9) Nissan 300ZX ------- 2 laps down
10) Fairlady Z Roadster 2 laps down
11) Legacy B4 Blitzen - 2 laps down
12) Toyota Supra ------ 2 laps down

Post race notes:
My MR2 handles quite nicely now that I used some of Dotini's tuning tips! Thank you sir! My winning margin was still too large so I have taken away some horsepower from my MR2 and have already launched another race with it!

See you on the track!
GTsail

Last edited:
I decided to give this a go :)

Car: Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (S. Shigeno Ver) '00
Specs:
HP - 185
Weight - 825kg
Drivetrain - FR
Tires - SS twice, SM once
Power Limit - 85%
PP - 423

Aids:
ABS 1

Grid: Lineup #2
1. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '02
2. Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GTB '96
3. Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A FD '02
4. Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
5. Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 '98
6. Toyota Aristo V300 '00
7. Me
8. Lancer Evolution VIII GSR '03
9. Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT '03
10. Nissan Fairlady A Ver.S Z33 '02
11. Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
12. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR '92

Race Report:
Lap 1: Overtook positions 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2 using late braking, going into the inside, etc. The Impreza however tries to widen the gap.

Lap 2: Locked onto the Impreza, using a whole bunch of techniques to get close. Gap is now 2 seconds.

Lap 3: Overtook the Impreza at the first tunnel, woot! Gap is -0.870.

Lap 4: Gap is now almost 2 sec. I noticed that the kink after the first hairpin, none of the AI drivers try to flat it out, while I can. Could use this to my advantage :mischievous:

Lap 5: Gap is now around 3 sec. Lap times mostly at the 2:14-15 ranges.

Lap 6: Gap is still around 3 sec. The Hachi-Roku is amazing at its cornering! It was able to retain a lot of speed at the exits.

Lap 7: Gap is now 4 sec. For some reason I could never reach the apex on the 1st hairpin. But that is just my reckless braking point :P Thank goodness the Trueno managed to pull away from the sand.

Lap 8: Gap is now 5 sec. The ride is quite concise, I might add. Able to keep the rhythm for a while.

Lap 9: Gap is now 6 seconds. The front tires seems a bit heavy now, but it didn't affect the handling too much.

Lap 10: Gap's 6 sec. I accidentally cut a turn, so I dropped my time to 2:17.

Lap 11: Still 6 sec. The front tires is wearing out pretty quickly, so I may have to pit pretty soon.

Laps 12-13: Gap extends to 8 seconds. The front is loosing some grip slowly, pushing my lap times down to the 16-17 ranges.

Lap 14: Gap went down to 7 seconds. The front gets heavier and heavier every lap.

Lap 15: Pitted for SM tires & 12 liters of fuel (22). My strategy is to pit every 15th lap. Enough time to close in some gaps.

Lap 16: 3rd position, +23 seconds behind leader. Time for some cat n' mouse!

Laps 17-23: Spent most of these laps keeping up. After around the 20th lap, I noticed a huge gradual decrease in the gaps. Soon I caught up with the Impreza at the 23rd lap.

Lap 24: I noticed I lapped the last two cars when I overtook the Impreza at the straightaways, so actually 1st place is 10 seconds ahead of me.

Laps 25-26: Closed the gap to roughly 3 seconds. Leader is the Mazda FD :ouch:

Lap 27: FD is 2 seconds in front of me now. I'm planning to use the same techniques I did at the start of the race to take down this fella before pitting shortly after.

Lap 28: Regained the throne right after the 2nd tunnel :D All I have to do is widen the gap again so I secure the same process for the next 30 laps.

Lap 29: Looks like the FD pitted on this lap, gaining the gap to a massive 42 seconds :eek:

Lap 30: Pitted for fresh SMs and 13 liters (30 total).

Lap 31: 2nd position is 7 seconds behind me, which isn't bad at all. I might keep this up until I pit again.

Lap 32: Crap, the FD's closing in fast (4 seconds)! Time to get serious!

Lap 33: Damn, the FD's right behind me! How shall I hold him back..

Lap 34: Insanity, he's at my bumper! He'll probably pass me at the straightaway!

Laps 35-37: Hell, he overtook me! Now he's slowly disappearing from my view! Piece of crap's too fast!

Lap 38: The traffic pushed the FD slightly closer to me, but he will distance from my view. Curse his acceleration! What's worse is that the Trueno fishtails when you try to gas through a sharp turn.

Laps 39-43: Uggh, the FD is too quick! One lap after another, he gains a second or two, or worse. I hope I'll humiliate him when he pits or slows down by exhaustion.

Lap 44: I decided to pit early, going for SS to gain more grip.

Laps 45-49: Looks like the tire change paid off! Now I'm gaining up to the forsaken FD, from 40 seconds to 25 seconds :D I also obtained a best lap time (2:14)!

Laps 50-52: 25 seconds to 12 seconds :D I can already see the look on the FD driver's face when I pass him! But I worry is whether or not the front will get heavier as I go. A similar thing happened at my first stint..

Laps 53-54: Oooo, I can see the FD :mischievous: I hate the traffic sometimes. Trying to take me crash or something...

Lap 55: C'mon Trueno, he's only 3-5 car lengths away! Just a bit closer and capture the crown!

Lap 56: Ladies & Gentlemen, I have officially taken vengeance on the FD! Thank you convenient traffic :P

Laps 57-59: Haha, the FD pitted after all, separating us two by 30 seconds!

Ending Stats:
Total time: Around 2 hours 18 minutes
No. of stints: 3
Fastest lap time: 2:14.083

Ending Grid:
  1. Me
  2. Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A FD '02
  3. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '02
  4. Lancer Evolution VIII GSR '03
  5. Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
  6. Nissan Fairlady A Ver.S Z33 '02
  7. Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT '03
  8. Toyota Aristo V300 '00
  9. Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GTB '96
  10. Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
  11. Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 '98
  12. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR '92

Conclusion:
The AE86 was absolutely phenomenal! It was very concise, smooth, and rhythmic. It does have problems up front sometimes, but the car is very forgivable. The reason I chose this car is because of Initial D :P

Last edited:
Car: Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (S. Shigeno Ver) '00
Specs:
HP - 185
Weight - 825kg
Drivetrain - FR
Tires - SS twice, SM once
Power Limit - 85%
PP - (I'll check it later)

Very nice Technicolors!

Can you check the PPValue of your Trueno?

I would like to put you on the leaderboard!

Thanks,
GTsail

Just above, I document my race win with my Toyota MR2. The winning margin was still excessive, so I've decided to launch another race with the MR2, but I will take away some horsepower.

I receive a few more suspension tuning tips from Dotini (thanks!) which I apply to my MR2, so after these changes my Toyota MR2 Spyder 6MT '02 has the following specs:

Horsepower: 189
Weight: 1020 (added 40kg of ballast)
PPValue: 415
P.Limiter: 95.6%
No skid

I settle for lineup # 6 again:
------------------------------------------------
1) Honda NSX '90
2) Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
3) Impreza Coupe WRX type R
4) Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
5) Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A '02
6) Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01
7) GTsail in the Toyota MR2
8) Nissan 300ZX 2seater Z32 '98
9) Mits Lancer EVO IX GSR '05
10) Subaru Legacy B4 Blitzen '00
11) Nissan Fairlady Z Roadster '03
12) Nissan Fairlady Z Version ST '02

Once again, I coast for a bit off the starting line to allow the field to come past. So I follow the Nissan Fairlady Z Version ST into the first hairpin. As I accelerate away from the second hairpin, I pass the 11th place Fairlady Z Version ST. I then pass both the 10th place Fairlady Z Roadster and the 9th place Legacy B4 Blitzen going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel. Up next is the 8th place Lancer EVO IX GSR who I pass going thru the final esses. At the end of lap # 1, I'm 12 seconds behind the race leading Honda NSX '90.

On lap # 2, I pass the 7th place Nissan 300ZX going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel.

On lap # 3, I pass the 6th place Toyota Supra 3.0GT going thru the fast sweepers between the two hairpins.

On lap # 4, I pass the 5th place Toyota Soarer as we go thru the fast sweepers between the two hairpins.

At the end of lap # 5, I get the news taht I'm 21 seconds behind the leading Honda NSX '90 after a lap record 2.17.257.

On lap # 9, I pass the 4th place 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd as we accelerate away from the 2nd hairpin. I also set a new lap record of 2.16.856.

At the end of lap # 10, I get the news taht I'm 23.5 seconds behind the race leading Honda NSX and I set a new lap record of 2.16.763.

As I cross the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 13, I see that I'm now only 21 seconds behind the race leading Honda NSX. I can also see that the 2nd place Mazda RX-7 Spirit has caught the NSX. I wonder if F. Rich, the driver of the Mazda, has the skills to pass the Honda NSX (who has started to slow on his worn tires).

The lead doesn't change during the next four laps, so F. Rich must be driving in a fuel saving mode!

The Honda NSX '90 pits at the end of lap # 18 and gives the lead of the race to the Mazda RX-7 who stayed very close to the NSX, but never made the pass.

I'm 9 seconds behind the Mazda RX-7 when I begin lap # 19, and about 2 seconds behind the 2nd place Impreza Coupe WRX type R.

My tires still look pretty good since I've only used about one-third of their life, however, while 25 laps might be possible, 30 laps seems too much, so I decide on a two-stop race strategy and pit at the end of lap # 20 for another set of SH tires and 10 liters of fuel. While I'm in the pits the 4th place Honda NSX drives past.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 21, I see that I've fallen 41 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7.

On lap # 23, I put my new tires to good use and set a new lap record of 2.16.172.

As I begin lap # 26, I pass the Nissan 300ZX who has taken to the pits, so he goes a lap down.

After a new lap record of 2.15.899 on lap # 26, I'm only 28 seconds behind the leading Mazda RX-7. The Mazda is being slowed down by his worn tires and because he's reached the rear of the field, so there's three back-markers that he's trying to pass.

On lap # 28, I pass the 3rd place Impreza Coupe WRX going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel. I also pass the Legacy B4 Blitzen going thru the first tunnel, so he goes a lap down.

I'm 13 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7 when he pits at the end of lap # 29. This allows the Honda NSX to take over the lead of the race, and I take over 2nd place.

When I cross the S/F line and begin lap # 30, I'm only 6 seconds behind the race leading Honda NSX.

On lap # 31, I pass the Fairlady Z Version ST as I begin to accelerate up the S/F straight at the end of the lap.

On lap # 32, I first pass the 8th place Toyota Soarer going thru the fast sweepers and then pass the 7th place Nissan 300ZX going thru the 2nd hairpin. I'm now just behind the race leading Honda NSX '90.

At the end of lap # 33, I'm close enough to see the 6th place Lancer EVO IX GSR enter the pits for his only stop of the race.

On lap # 34, I out-brake the Honda NSXgoing into the 2nd hairpin, so I slide past and take over the lead of the race!

The Honda NSX pits at the end of lap # 37, which gives 2nd place back to the Mazda RX-7.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 38, I see that I have a 16 second lead over the Mazda RX-7.

At the end of lap # 40, I head for the pits with a 14 second lead over the Mazda RX-7, and get another set of SH tires and 10 liters of fuel. While I'm in the pits I get passed by the Mazda RX-7. About 5 second later, I also get passed by another back-marker.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 41, I see that I've fallen 20 seconds behind th Mazda RX-7. The 3rd place Honda NSX is about 5 seconds behind me, so I seem to have the race in hand!

I set a new lap record of 2.15.536 on lap # 44 in an effort to stay ahead of the 3rd place Honda NSX who is now only 3 seconds behind me and closing.

On lap # 46, I pass the 6th place Fairlady Z Version ST going thru the fast sweepers.

On lap # 49, I catch and pass the Toyota Supra 3.0GT going thru the fast sweepers and see that I'm only 15 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7.

At the end of lap # 50, I'm only 10 seconds behind the leading Mazda RX-7 who is now slowing down on his worn tires.

At the end of lap # 54, I've been able to reach the rear-bumper of the first place Mazda RX-7 who has slowed significantly over the last few laps.

I catch and pass the Mazda RX-7 going thru the fast sweepers on lap # 55.

On lap # 56 I pass the 5th place 350Z Gran Turismo going thru the first hairpin after an exchange of paint.

I have an 8 second lead over the Mazda RX-7 when he pits at the end of lap # 58.

At the second checkpoint on lap # 59, I see that my lead has ballooned out to 43 seconds over the Mazda RX-7.

After 60 laps and 2 hours, 18 minutes and 26.337 seconds I win another trophy!

Finishing order:
---------------
1) my Toyota MR2
2) Mazda RX-7 Spirit --- 41 seconds back
3) Honda NSX '90 ------- 50 seconds back
4) Impreza Coupe WRX --- a bit more than a minute back
5) 350Z Gran Turismo --- 1 lap down
6) Fairlady Z Ver. ST -- 1 lap down
7) Lancer EVO IX GSR --- 1 lap down
8) Toyota Soarer ------- 1 lap down
9) Nissan 300ZX -------- 1 lap down
10 Fairlady Z Roadster -- 2 laps down
11) Legacy B4 Blitzen -- 2 laps down
12) Toyota Supra 3.0GT -- 2 laps down

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
I've been wanting to attempt my real car at this race for a long time now. I won, but either I'm not too good or the car isn't very good for its PP. I had a tough race despite much higher PP than everybody else is running, although I assume most people have tuned their cars at least a little and I didn't wish to for this one. Maybe I'll try it again sometime with some tuning.

Anyway, for whatever data it's worth, here are my results:

Camaro Z28 '97
I always run with no aids from interior view.
SM tires, 2 stops. Car fully stock, no ballast or limiter. Rebuilt engine/refreshed chassis some time recently.
1561 kg.
295 HP at start, 282 at end.
447 PP at start, 441 PP at end.

Race time: 2:17:36.2xx
Fastest lap 2:13.708 (no tow)
Slowest laps other than the first and pit laps were 2 low 2:19s. I only had a handful of 2:18s. Did a 2:20 on the last lap but I was being very very careful.
Pit at end of laps: 23 - 13L fuel, 43 - 12 L fuel.

Beat WRX Spec C '04 by .960 seconds, 1 stop.
Fastest lap 2:13.411

Field starting order - finish position - Fastest Lap - PP if known:

Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C '04 - 2nd +.960 -- 2:13.411 - 481PP
Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 ------------ 12th +3Lap - 2:21.550
Lancer Evo X GSR.PP '03 ----------- 3rd +1Lap -- 2:16.537 - 463PP
Skyline Coupe 350GT '03 ----------- 6th +1Lap -- 2:16.992
Silvia Spec R Aero (S15) '02 -------- 8th +1Lap -- 2:17.052
GTO Twin Turbo MR '95 ------------- 11th +2Lap - 2:19.676
Fairlady Z version S (Z33) '07 ------ 5th +1Lap -- 2:16.630
Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R32) '94 --- 7th +1Lap -- 2:16.954
300ZX 2-by-2 (Z32) '98 ----------- 10th +2Lap - 2:17.944
Lancer Evo IV GSR '96 ------------- 9th +2Lap -- 2:17.696
Lancer Evo VII GSR '03 ------------ 4th +1Lap -- 2:16.834 - 472PP

Fairlady Z, Skyline Coupe, Skyline GT-R, and Silvia Spec R all very close.
Evo IV and 300ZX also finished very close together.

I was down ~27 seconds at first pit. Down ~15 seconds when WRX pitted on around lap 34-35. Up ~28 seconds at second pit, came out ~7 seconds behind him Caught him on lap 49 or 50, without using his slipstream(it seemed the thing to do at the time).

I could surely have beat the WRX by 10 or more seconds because I could have been more aggressive. I raced him fair for several laps and avoided the biggest slipstream areas on the front straight and over the bridge, and made the pass clean(he never parked at all during the whole time!!).

I passed him under braking in the third tunnel on lap 54, after an earlier attempt saw us side by side with me a bit sideways but amazingly no contact other than a tiny tap of the inside wall. If I got by him 2 or 3 laps earlier I'd have pulled away for the first couple laps before my tires faded. I also was not pushing the last 3-4 laps to make sure I didn't bin it.

I was much more agressive getting through the field on the first few laps, no contact but did take advantage of them parking so I was in second by lap 2 or 3.

No major mistakes. Just a few missed braking points, no spins no touching gravel, no contact other than 2-3 tiny tiny taps when passing traffic and one tiny tiny tap of the wall in the first tunnel entry and the previously mentioned one while passing for the lead. Put 4 wheels over line at the exit of the final S-Curves twice by mistake at race speed and once going slowly after missing the brake point while distracted.

Comfort Softs had obviously no chance, and you need fuel. I tried on Sports Hards and lost almost a whole lap by the time I pitted on lap 31 or 32. Switched to SS and stopped again, made up some ground but lost by 1:35. The top car was the same WRX Spec C. Could have been faster but probably still would've lost by a lot. So SH tires seem unable to win with this car stock, at least against the WRX Spec C which turned out to be the highest PP in the Opponents List - though I don't know what car is actually fastest, I'd assume an NSX. It seems most of the AIs one-stop now which is a change from when I ran this before.

Last edited:
...Anyway, for whatever data it's worth, here are my results:

Camaro Z28 '97

Beat WRX Spec C '04 by .960 seconds
Fastest lap 2:13.411

WOW, nice close race Morgoth_666!

I'm sure that your relatively high PP value is not a reflection on your driving skills, but is a reflection on driving a stock '97 Camaro. Also, the Impreza WRX Spec C is one of the rabbits, so you were up against the cream of the AI.

Since you ran stock, what's the handling of the Camaro like?

Oversteer, understeer? Do you think that an upgraded transmission/suspension would make much of a difference?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
WOW, nice close race Morgoth_666!

I'm sure that your relatively high PP value is not a reflection on your driving skills, but is a reflection on driving a stock '97 Camaro. Also, the Impreza WRX Spec C is one of the rabbits, so you were up against the cream of the AI.

Since you ran stock, what's the handling of the Camaro like?

Oversteer, understeer? Do you think that an upgraded transmission/suspension would make much of a difference?

Respectfully,
GTsail

The '97 Z28 does understeer a bit, probably due to the 52/48 weight distribution. ABS might largely eliminate the problem. It's not too bad until the tire wear starts to become significant, then my times were starting to drop off a lot as I could rarely get around a lap without "floating" pretty bad in one corner or another. Trying to stretch a set of tires gets tricky because of that. Most of the time when I get oversteer, it's because I'm too aggressive trying to counter the understeer.

You barely use 5th gear on Grand Valley, so I'm sure shorter gears would help. I think the stock gears will run over 160 in fifth, you're only hitting 130-135 here.

A stiffer/tweaked suspension usually helps, but it's tough to say how much until you get into it(and I'm not that confident when it comes to tuning). It does feel like the car is a little too soft and relaxed at times - which mirrors my feelings about my own car. I actually felt like my old 87 V6 Camaro gave a much more direct feel of the road.

Car: Lotus Elise 111S '03
PP: 383

HP: 129
Weight: 995 Kg
PL: 85%
Top Speed Setting: 129 mph; actual speed 121 mph
Tires: Sports Soft (throughout race)
All aids off. ABS 1. G27 wheel.

Total time: 2:18:04.xxx
Fastest Lap: 2:15.273
MoV > 1 lap

Racing once again against grid #1, the first set of soft tires lasted until lap 29, when 50% wear and some degradation of lap times was noted. Pitted again on lap 55 when wear again approached 50%, but even so, lapped the 2nd place Mazda RX-7 Type RS (FD) '98 on lap 60.

Before the race, I practiced with my 111S until I got down into the 2:13's at the 383 PP level, so there is obviously a lot of scope for this race to be won at some unfathomably low PP level. For my own part, I'm enjoying tuning these delightful little MR's into pukka race cars, and learning the finest details of the excellent Grand Valley raceway.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Very well done. As you know I'm not a big fan of the Elise so I doubt I'll ever get the PP level down that low. Having said that I've been testing another car which I hope to run soon below 400PP... and it isn't MR either. :sly:

I've been testing another car which I hope to run soon below 400PP... and it isn't MR either. :sly:

Yes, I have the same sneaky thoughts! I've been goofing around with an 1800 6 speed Miata, but so far haven't got it to my complete liking. A Lotus Elan or Sprinter Apex would be good ideas to try, but I move only slowly toward the distant horizon...

I won this race before the tire fix in an Alfa Julia... reading this thread makes me want to go back and try again.

Looking for something different to run that wasn't a MR, I came across my premuim Alfa 147 Ti which I'd used in a couple of 400PP B-Spec seasonals but only 39.2 miles on the clock. With some further tweaking and additional ballast I got her where I needed (Bob's going to hate me now) and made an original run on SH tyres as I didn't think a FF could make 20 laps. This didn't work out well and the speed on fresh tyres was way too low and didn't offer me the opportunity to push when needed. So I exited the race early and took a risk with the SS tyres thinking that good grip early on would hopefully give me the advantage. This is what happened...

grandvalleyspeedway2h.jpg

Car: Alfa Romeo 147 Ti 2.0 Twin Spark '06
HP: 180
PP: 394
Weight: 1110Kg
Mods: Fully loaded (see below)
Power Level: 95%
Top Speed Setting: 149mph
Tyres: SS
All aids off. ABS 1. DFGT wheel.

Set Up (too many to type so here's the settings sheet):

alfa147tisettings.jpg

The above set up is based upon RKM Motorsports' set up here. I just changed a few details (no aero, added ballast) to keep tyre wear good and the PP level below 400.

Grid:
1. Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT
2. Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
3. Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15 '02
4. Mazda RX-7 Type RS '98
5. Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GTB '96
6. Nissan 300ZX 2seater Z32 '98
7. Me
8. Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT '03
9. Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 '98
10. Toyota Supra RZ '97
11. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Ver. VI
12. Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95

I didn't keep a full set of notes on this run as it was very late, but do have details of key lap times, gaps and incidents.

Lap 1: 2:18.xxx - lose one place to the 350GT in the drag to the first corner but exit in 6th. Plenty of grip allows me to pick off the cars in front including the RX-7 after the second hairpin which is good as he's going to be the main competition. End lap 3rd behind the leading 300SX and Silvia Spec R. -3 secs.
Lap 2: 2:17.xxx - both the Silvia and myself catch and pass the 300SX by the bridge. He retakes 2nd on the main straight but I nail him on the exit of the first turn. -3 secs.
Lap 3: 2:17.xxx - catch and pass the Silvia in the usual place (twisting section before the first tunnel). Tyres at their max now. Silvia tries a pass on the main straight but I drift to the right and block him. Looks like the RX-7 has passed the 300ZX but is a good 5 secs behind us. +0.1 secs.
Lap 4: 2:16.xxx - clean lap and open gap to +2 secs.
Lap 5: 2:17.xxx - same again and slightly open gap to +2.5 secs.
Lap 6: 2:17.xxx - not the best lap but hold the lead. RX-7 gains on us both.
Lap 7: 2:18.xxx - hold the gap. +2 secs.
Lap 8: 2:19xxx - we have a spinner! Front tyres are down to 70% so I'm not going to make 20 laps :scared:. Silvia is knocking at the door so some blocking is called for on the main straight. I slowly drift to the right which makes the Silvia go left. I then mirror him and, as usual, the AI freak out a bit and he jinks to the right and puts the fast approaching RX-7 into the wall. I didn't know that much about it other than seeing a spinning RX-7 disappear in my mirror. Not my fault, guv! ;) I must admit I did smile as I'll take any advantage over that RX-7.
Laps 9-14: These laps uniformly dropped from 2:18.xxx's to 2:20.xxx's. I spent every single one with the Silvia welded to my rear end and by blocking on the main straight I had enough to stay ahead by about +1.5 secs at the bridge and repeat this every lap - knackering! The RX-7 had ended up in 4th as a large gap had developed between 4th and the rest of the field.

grandvalleyspeedway3b.jpg

Lap 15: PIT IN: 2:38.xxx - I've created a bit of a queue with myself, the Silvia, the 300SX and RX-7 all nose to tail. I'm on the canvas so have to pit for new SS tyres and no fuel.
Laps 16-22: I exit into 8th on new tyres and by running consistent 2:16.xxx's manage to get up to 4th by lap 19. The only car which caused any problems was the WRX STi which is devastating through the fast sections. By lap 22 the lead Silvia is +20 secs ahead with the RX-7 second. The 300SX has done a stirling job of holding up that Mazda.
Lap 23: 2:17.xxx - 300SX pits and I'm up to 3rd. Front runners are showing signs of tyre wear as I slowly close the gap. +19 secs.
Laps 24-29: Lap times gradually drop as my tyres wear, from 2:17.xxx's to 2:20.xxx's again. Over this period I gain almost 3 secs a lap on the leading Silvia and I catch them at the end of lap 29 (later I checked the replay and found that the Silvia was running on virtually no rubber but the RX-7 simply couldn't get past). I cross the line in third -1.3 secs down.
Lap 30: PIT IN: New SS tyres, no fuel and I exit into 4th behind the WRX Sti. I was hoping that at least one of the front runners would pit, but no. I was about -30 secs down.
Laps 30-40: I run consistent clean laps and eventually everyone has at last pitted. This allows me to take the lead on lap 40 but I know my tyres are past their best now so more blocking on the straight. +4 secs. I hit my fastest lap of the race without drag on lap 33 of 2:15.864. This was a confusing period of the race as I was often catching and passing cars I thought were ahead of me but turned out I was lapping them. I lapped my first car, the Skyline Coupe 350GT, on lap 32.
Laps 41-45: The RX-7 has now cleared the Silvia and is easily matching my lap times of around 2:18.xxx - 2:19.xxx. He looms larger in my mirrors and I have to block a few times on the main straight - this has become a theme of this race! I pit on lap 45 for fresh SS tyres and exit, surprisingly into a close 3rd behind the Silvia and in front of the WRX STi. If I keep consistent, I might just do this.
Laps 46-50: Back into the 2:16.xxx's again mean I catch and pass the Silvia through the second tunnel - I kiss the wall on the exit but just keep my boot in and confirm the pass on lap 47. The next lap I hit my fastest lap of the race (with draught) of 2:14.988. That was the first and last time into the 2:14.xxx's. I gain a good +1 to 2 secs a lap on the leading RX-7 as his tyres start to wear. -21 secs.
Laps 51-55: The chase is well and truly on. Through these laps I'm consistently around 2:17.xxx and chipping away at the RX-7's lead. This is pattern I observed before his first pit stop, so I just keep praying that a) my tyres hold up long enough and b) that I don't screw up! -11 secs with 5 laps to go...
Laps 56-57: My tyres are slowly going towards the 2:20.xxx zone but not at the rate of earlier in the race. Low fuel? I'm more consistent? :confused: The RX-7 is definitely suffering as I take 6 secs out of his lead during laps 56 and 57. He must be down in the 2:23.xxx region as I get a new rush of adrenaline with the thought that this is really on now! But doesn't he pit on lap 58 or 59? Not sure, just keep concentrating.
Lap 58: RX-7 doesn't pit but I'm getting closer through the twists but he opens the gap on the main straight. -3 secs.
Lap 59: Got him! I monster it through the fast section and nail him with a bit of door rubbing on the exit of the second hairpin. Have it! Now don't screw it up as my front tyres are around 30%. RX-7 still doesn't pit.
Lap 60: He comes back on the main straight but can't pull off the pass. I out brake myself into the first corner as I defend but he just can't carry enough speed to under cut me. I hang on for the rest of the lap and it's as though he's given up. I cross the line to take a very hard fought but enormously satisfying win! I don't think the RX-7 pitted again.

Finishing time was 2:18:32.xxx with a winning margin of 4.5 secs over the second place RX-7. Distant 3rd place was the Silvia Spec R closely followed by the WRX STi.

Fastest lap with draught: 2:14.899 / Fastest lap without draught: 2:15.864

Alfa 147 Ti post-race figures: 183HP / 397PP (hmm, nicely run in now :D)

Conclusion:
That was tough. I was physically shaking by the end as at my third pit stop I didn't think I had enough to catch the RX-7. It was nice to chase down for the victory instead of the usual technique of being ahead after the last pit stops and defending - although it didn't feel like it at the time!

My little Alfa did the job. I could have gone for one of the Civic Type-R's, which I'm sure could make a good showing of itself around 400PP, but this little Italian Stallion proved that Honda don't quite have the FF scene all their own way. ;) Having said that the Alfa does tend to understeer far more than the Hondas at a similar weight and tyre/suspension set up.

Now for something more relaxing... perhaps a few laps of the 'Ring!

Last edited:
That was tough. I was physically shaking by the end as at my third pit stop I didn't think I had enough to catch the RX-7. It was nice to chase down for the victory instead of the usual technique of being ahead after the last pit stops and defending - although it didn't feel like it at the time!

Three cheers and full credit to axletramp. He sweatily coped with an FF, balancing power with control until achieving an uncertain and far from preordained victory. :cheers:

Very respectfully,
Steve

:lol: Thanks. I think I'll have that printed in my obituary. ;) And yes, it was definitely far from certain. I really thought the RX-7 would pit so I could cruise in, but it didn't happen. How the hell do they do 30+ laps on SS tyres?

Inspired by axletramp's sweaty-palmed run to 394 PP with his unwieldy front drive Alfa, and equally embarrassed by my own win-by-a-lap overkills with sweet-handling MRs, I determined to have a fairer race this time with the following results:

PP: 372

HP: 128
Weight: 1005 Kg
Top Speed Setting: 134 mph; actual speed 118 mph

Total time: 2:19:27.xxx
Fastest Lap: 2:16.511
MoV ~30 seconds

Grid #1:
7. Me
10. Toyota Supra RZ '97
12. Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95

Lap 1: 2:23.653 - Drop to 9th, trade paint with the Supra at the hairpin (fortunately, we're the same color, so the steward does not record it), then pass cleanly in order up to the Fairlady Z. I'm abusing the tires here, the fronts in particular.
Lap 2: 2:17.871 - Pick off the Fairlady at those crucial turns (do they have a name?) leading up the hill to the straight.
Lap 3: 2:17.201 - Get passed by the Fairlady, then repass at the sweepers. This will be my fastest lap of the 1st stint.
Lap 4: 2:17.456 - plus 5 seconds to the Spec-R Aero
Lap 10: The RX-7 moves into 2nd. My gap is still +5
Lap 14: RX-7 sets his fastest lap of his stint, at 2:16.477. My gap is down to under a second!
Lap 23: With the gap back to 5, the order is me, RX-7, Spec R 39 back, then the Skyline Coupe 350 and Impreza WRX.
Lap 28: RX-7 pits
Lap 31: I pit with tires worn to about 45% of new. No fuel.
Lap 33: After the exchange of stops my lead is +13
Lap 41: With my lead down to +8, I get bolixed up with the Supra (again) and the Fairlady in a wild out-braking contest (after drafting them) at the hairpin, end of straightaway. Suddenly, the RX-7 is RIGHT ON MY BUMPER!
I hold on to my composure, and pull slowly away to a +30 lead until...
Lap 56: ....and it happens all over again in the same place, except this time the Silvia Spec-R Aero, and the Skyline Coupe are passing me (unlapping themselves), one on each side, and we are locked together 3 wide with me the meat in the sandwich. I end up off the right side, into the barrier, at a dead stop! Painfully, I reverse out the barrier and resume my weary way, minus a few seconds and one headlamp.
Lap 58: Fortunately, the RX-7 pits again and I pad my slender lead.

Finish Order and............................................. fastest lap
1. Lotus Elise 111S '03....................................2:16.511
2. Mazda RX-7 Type RS '98...............................2:14.959
3. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Ver. VI..........2:15.550
4. Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15 '02...................2:16.935
5. Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT '03.....................2:17.143
6. Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT.....................2:18
7. Nissan 300ZX 2seater Z32 '98.........................2:18
8. Toyota Supra RZ '97.......................................2:17
9. Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95.....................2:19
10. Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GTB '96.............2:21
11. Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 '98....................2:30
12. Infiniti G35 Coupe '06.....................................2:22

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Encouraged by Morgoth_666's recent run with some American muscle, I check my garage for a suitable steed and find a nice looking 2000 Camaro SS with 30,000 miles on the clock.

I have my expert pit crew perform some costly chassis maintenance and install a few go-fast parts. After this garage work my Chevy Camaro SS '00 has the following specs:

Horsepower: 280
Weight: 1570 (10kg of ballast was added)
PP value: 440
P.Limiter: 91.8%
No skid

Sitting on the starting grid are the usual competitors from lineup # 1. So my race will be against the Mazda RX-7 RS '98 an Impreza Sedan WRX STI Ver. VI and the Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero '02.

By lap # 5, I'm in 4th place and turning 2.17.xxx laps.

By lap # 10, I'm in 3rd place only 3 seconds behind the race leader.

On lap # 15, I take over the lead of the race. My tires are starting to feel worn, so I doubt they can handle a full 20 lap stint without significant degredation. I opt for a 3 stop race since my Camaro is so strong.

On lap # 20, I'm about 13 seconds behind the race leader.

By lap # 25, I've re-taken the lead of the race.

On lap # 30, I've stretched my lead to over 40 seconds.

On lap # 35, my lead is reduced to about 30 seconds due to my second pit stop.

By lap # 40, my lead has increased to over 40 seconds.

Lap # 45 shows a 45 second lead.

On lap # 50 , my lead is reduced to 17 seconds due to my third pit stop.

By lap # 55, my lead is over 45 seconds again.

At the end of the race, I have a comfortable lead of over a minute and 15 seconds over the Mazda RX-7 RS.

Post race notes:
My Camaro was just too strong for the field. It does exhibit a bit of understeer, but its not too bad since my pit crew did give it some suspension work.

I'm going to re-run this race with a PP value of about 435 to give the field a chance. My lap record was a 2.15.424 set on lap # 53 when I had burned off some fuel and had pretty fresh tires.

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Inspired by axletramp's sweaty-palmed run to 394 PP with his unwieldy front drive Alfa, and equally embarrassed by my own win-by-a-lap overkills...

:lol: You're determined to bring that PP level down aren't you?! I can't argue with your times though. Very well done, although it's time you jumped in a FF or FR. ;)

I'm now looking at a real outsider at the moment. Might not come off. I'll let you know. ;)

How has this thread managed to pull me away from the 'Ring 4hr? Damn competition... :sly:

@GTsail290: I don't blame you for trying something different. Dotini is killing the low PP atm! :mad:

:lol: You're determined to bring that PP level down aren't you?! I can't argue with your times though. Very well done, although it's time you jumped in a FF or FR. ;)

I'm now looking at a real outsider at the moment. Might not come off. I'll let you know. ;)

How has this thread managed to pull me away from the 'Ring 4hr? Damn competition... :sly:

@GTsail290: I don't blame you for trying something different. Dotini is killing the low PP atm! :mad:

Believe me, if we were to get a truly serious wheelman into this thread, the PP would drop closer to 300 than 400, I figure.

I'm going to devote one more race to the marvelous Lotus Elise 111S, then switch to an FR. Promise!

This thread has pulled us away from N4 for the following good reasons:
1) We have an outstanding thread leaderboard manager in the capable figure of GTsail290 :bowdown:
2) Right now the leaderboard manager over at N4, the good Dr. Famine, has his hands full with several other pressing duties.
3) This race is shorter, and can be done in almost half the time, so is easier to fit into your day.
4) Since the lap is only 3 miles instead of 14(?), it's FAR easier to tune for.
5) Speaking of tuning, there is no significantly better circuit in the game for it than GV, that I know of. (The scenery around the circuit is pleasant, and the bridges, water and hills remind me of my own region, the Pacific Northwest, Washington State, USA.)

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Hi all - Having made a few runs in the GV300 before the latest updates I find I now wish to return... (Race details posted in own threads)

I too find GV to be one of the best original tracks from PD, if only we could change the class of cars we were racing against..

However Honda hears the bell and will answer the call ;)
Axletramp - a good run in the Alfa,
Honda agrees a Civic R type would be to obvious.
Look for something other to challenge your 2 hours 18 race time with 10pts less..

Details to follow...

We come to the ultimate GV300km (SS) race with the Lotus Elise 111S - a parting of the ways, at least for awhile. The engine is dead stock with black oil, and ballasted to the effective maximum. No further detuning is possible.

(24,898 miles, Magnetic Blue Metallic, BBS RE-MG wheels)
PP: 362
HP: 117
Weight: 994 Kg
Top Speed Setting: 126 mph; actual speed 114/115 mph

Total time: 2:20:04.204
Fastest Lap: 2:17.515
MoV ~40 seconds

Lineup ~ #17: I had scouted this lineup in B-spec. In the B-spec race, the fastest cars were the Impreza, Evo X and GT-R, which raced each other hard, pitted three times (!) and lapped in the 2:18-2:19 range. So I thought this would be very good to try in A-spec. *I was misinformed*
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III GSR '95
- Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) '95
- Nissan 350Z GT4 Ltd (Z33) '05
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X GSR PP '07
- Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi '02
- Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
- Lotus Elise 111S '03
- Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
- Subaru Legacy B4 2.0 GT specB '03
- Nissan 300 ZX 2by2 (Z32) '98
- Toyota 3.0 GT Turbo A '88
- Nissan Silvia spec R Aero (S15) '02

Strategy: I'd not run this lineup before, so the strategy must be to make no mistakes (for a change), pit only once, and hope the others pit at least twice like they did in B-spec. When the main opposition - the classic blue Impreza WRX STi with gold wheels - doesn't pit until I do on lap 30, I become very worried. Suddenly I'm in terra incognita. It's then all I can do to hold on grimly and block if required, and hope that his tires don't allow him to capitalize on his superior speed and quicker lap times. Prior to the race, I practiced with my setup until I lap comfortably in the 18's, and can dip into the 17's on occasion.

Lap 1: 2:26.327 - Helplessly dropping back to 9th at the off, I slip under the 2by2 at the hairpin to take 8th, am briefly repassed, but gather a head of steam going through the sweepers. Into the 2nd hairpin I pass the ponderous Infiniti, take the Honda on the exit to the 2nd tunnel, and, most importantly, the Impreza entering the crucial turn 15/16 complex. "Callahan", at the wheel of the Impreza foolishly tries to repass on the inside of the kink (turn 18). I close the door, he gets 2 wheels off and kills his own speed down the straight. I consolidate 5th. Whee! I have the Impreza behind me, but my work is not done.
Lap 2: 2:18.095 - I pass the Evo X at the entrance to the first tunnel, slither by the 350Z into the 2nd tunnel, and smoke the Evo III on the exit of the 2nd tunnel. 2nd place is mine - for the moment.
Lap 3: 2:18.133 - The 350Z and Evo III sandwich me on the straight, and both pass, unheeded. I slip inside and get them both back at the hairpin. Exiting the 2nd hairpin, I get my outside wheels ever so slightly off the black stuff, and kill some of my exit speed. Okay then, I'm not going to catch the GT-R any time soon, but I've consolidated 2nd. Whew! Time for a breather.
Lap 4: 2:19.213 - I trail the GT-R by 6.5, but I'm up on the 350 by 2.5.
Lap 5: 2:18.356 - The gap to the GT-R grows
Lap 6: 2:18.446
Lap 7: 2:18.153 - 350Z Gran Turismo, Evo X and WRX are fighting, grouped in a bunch about 3 seconds behind me.
Lap 8: 2:18.955
Lap 9: 2:18.902 - The gap to the GT-R has stabilized at 8 seconds.
Lap 10: 2:18.327
Lap 12: 2:18.570
Lap 13: 2:19.215 - down 6 to the GT-R, but up 6 on the Impreza, now in 3rd.
Lap 14: 2:18.810
Lap 15: 2:19.248
Lap 16: 2:19.262 - I'm catching the GT-R with gap down to 3 seconds, but the Subaru WRX has pulled clear of my pursuers, and is now only 4 seconds behind.
Lap 17: 2:19.283 - Only .5 behind GT-R, but Subaru closing.
Lap 19: 2:19.293 -
Lap 20: 2:23.816 - Take the lead from the faltering Skyline. He repasses, I pass back. Time is lost.
Lap 21: 2:19.960
Lap 22: 2:19.857
Lap 23: 2:21.046 - Subaru closes to 1.1 seconds behind.
Lap 24: 2:20.804 - 1.5 is the gap, and I'm staying calm, believe it or not.
Lap 25: 2:22.690 - 1.1
Lap 26: 2:21.36 - 1.5
Lap 28: 2:21.269 - He's 2.5 seconds back but he still hasn't pitted! Now I'm worried.
Lap 29: 2:20 - At least he's losing his tires, he's down 5.5
Lap 30: 2:41.436 - I pit and so does he. I'm up 6.8 *Technical Note: My tires are worn completely evenly. Front and rear, left and right are all at about 50%.
Lap 32: 2:19.384 - I'm up 14.2, but now begins a protracted duel with me ahead but him driving the faster car. I'm defending.
Lap 33: 2:18.322 - Lead shrinks to 13
Lap 34: 2:18.419 - He's behind 10.9
Lap 35: 2:18.091 - He's 8.9 back
Lap 36: 2:18.602 - He's within 4.8 seconds, and has set his fastest lap of 2:15.690
Lap 38: 2:17.515 - I set my fastest lap of the day at 2:17.515. I hold a 3.9 second lead.
Lap 39: 2:18.063 -
Lap 40 2:17.835 -
Lap 42: 2:19.967 - Yikes! He's within 0.8 second, and my only hope is to block, since it looks like he may have made his only pit stop on Lap 30.
Lap 43: 2:22.183 - He's caught me and there's minor contact at the hairpin. I stay ahead with a margin of a scant 1.7 seconds.
Lap 44: 2:18.220 - 1.2
Lap 45: 2:17.926 - 1.7
Lap 47: 2:18.415 - The gap has ballooned (!) to 2.26 seconds. Are his tires starting to slide?
Lap 48: 2:18.769 - Damn. Down to 1.1
Lap 49: 2:18.537 - 2.5
Lap 50: 2:19.199 -
Lap 52: 2:19.457 - 4.6 Yes, his tires are failing!
Lap 53: 2:19.859 -
Lap 54: 2:19.669 - 5.6
Lap 55: 2:19.630 -
Lap 56: 2:20.464 - 8.3 and smiling
Lap 58: 2:20.570 - 13.5
Lap 59: 2:20.572 - His tires are in absolute shreds. Down to 10%, all of them. He must pit, the poor guy.
Lap 60: - MoV of ~40 to the Subaru, 1:24 to the Evo X and GT-R, still squabbling over 3rd.

Finish...................................................... Fastest Lap

1. Lotus Elise 111S "03...............................2:17.515
2. Impreza Sedan WRX STi '02.....................2:15.690
3. Lancer Evo X GSR PP '07..........................2:15.742
4. Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R33) '95..................2:16.838
5. Nissan 350Z GT4 Ltd (Z33) '05..................2:17.654
6. Legacy B4 2.0 GT SpecB '03.....................2:17.368
7. Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero (S15) '02...........2:17.091
8. Nissan 300 ZX 2by2 (Z32) '98...................2:17.405
9. Honda Accord Coupe EX '03........................2:18.949
10. Lancer Evo III '95...................................2:20
11. Toyota Supra 3.0 GT Turbo A '88...............2:20
12. Infiniti G35 Coupe...................................2:22

Conclusion: In this race it turned out that I didn't need to work as hard as I did, since the Subaru pitted. So now we know this race can be won at a slower speed. I cannot improve upon the PP level with this Lotus, so it is time to move on. Coincidentally, with this race I have also finally achieved A-spec level 40, so today is one of modest achievement, quiet satisfaction, subdued celebration and finally philosophic reflection. For my next act, I will move on as promised to an FR (exactly which one is currently currently unknown to me). Thank you for your patience at this long report.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Inspired to visit this after nattering to Axletramp about it last week!

Good work, Steve, that's some impressively low PP, I'm going to have a gun at 350PP, I think. In what I don't know, but avoiding FF I think to get that low.

I've inspired someone! :dopey: 350PP will be a pretty tasty run. Promise you won't use the GSX-R Concept or Elise. ;)

Nice run Dotini - going to give that MX-5 a run now?

I wouldn't bother with the 1.6 MX-5! I tried that and didn't fair too well in getting close to a decent lap time on the sports softs. Had a go at taming the Hommell and lost my knee caps in the crash barrier :dopey:

Currently thinking 4WD and un-understeering it!

Last edited:

Encouraged

reading this thread makes me want to go back and try again.

I find I now wish to return...

My, my, suddenly we are all fired up with a new idea! Too bad GTsail290 can't charge admission! :)

I note that so far all the cars on the leaderboards are normal cars. Should it stay that way?

Axletramp perhaps rightly worries that the GSX-R/4 concept car will come to dominate. Our leader, GTsail290 has already warned against high level race cars.

It's true that concept cars, race (or rally) cars, RM's and perhaps DLC TC's *might* come to dominate. I myself have qualms about DLC for philosophical reasons.

Do we, as constituents of this thread, want to ask GTsail290 to amend or firm up the rules in any way? I'm sure GTsail290 is open to what we think. Let's do it (think) now while the thread is still young.

It's my impression that GTsail290 wants to keep the thread open for as wide a variety as possible. So any case for change would have to be a strong one.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Just done this event. I have to say I did not like it , It's too repetitive:yuck: but I have completed my report.
Car: Toyota GT86 '12
204 BHP 1230 KG 421 PP 0/20 Downforce

I had installed a fixed suspension kit, the 1st level drivetrains and a sport exhaust, no further mods were installed.
The grid was :
7. Me
10. Toyota Supra RZ '97
12. Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95 (borrowed from axletramp)

Lap 1-6 I work my way up to first as the field splits into 2 groups. I am pestered by the Silvia and the RX7 but maintain a 2 second lead. Currently on SM tires.
Lap 7-19 Nothing interesting besides sparring with the RX7 on the main straight only to gain time in the corners.
Lap 20 Oh no! A major crash on the sweeping left after the first hairpin puts me down to 3rd with a 20 second gap to clear.
Lap 27 sees me pit to get SS tires to claw back into the race.
Lap 28-38 I 'm back in 1st by a 30 second gap but I pit in again for more SS tires.
Lap 39-50 I come back from a 28 second gap in 2nd to a 10 second lead.
Lap 57 Somehow the GT86 has managed to kill the front tires to 0% so I pit for the final time with a 30 second lead reduced from a 50 second lead.
Lap 60 and I'm done!!! Total time was 2Hr 20 min 11 sec and my fastest lap was a 2.12.749:D Thanks for reading :D

Had a go at taming the Hommell and lost my knee caps in the crash barrier :dopey:

'I used to drive a Hommell, then I took an armco to the knee..." ;)

I've been testing a pink chrome Volvo 240 estate (oooooh yeeeeeah!) which currently shreds the front tyres. Looking for a good tune to bring the PP level below 430 but most tend to be for drifting (whatever that is ;)). It currently sits at 425PP and can pull consistent 2:16.xxx's (2:15.5xx fastest lap in testing) on SS tyres but that will only just make 10-12 good laps. I'm determined to make this work as it's got to be worth it just for the replays alone.

Last edited:
Back