Grand Valley 300km Companion & Competition

• Thread starter GTsail
  • 291 comments
I note that so far all the cars on the leaderboards are normal cars. Should it stay that way?

It's true that concept cars, race (or rally) cars, RM's and perhaps DLC TC's *might* come to dominate. I myself have qualms about DLC for philosophical reasons.

Do we, as constituents of this thread, want to ask GTsail290 to amend or firm up the rules in any way? I'm sure GTsail290 is open to what we think.

I am certainly open to anyone's suggestions on rule changes or possible restrictions if they seem to be necessary.

As Dotini mentions, we may eventually see some Concept cars at the top of the Leaderboards, and if the disparity is too great, some restrictions might be required.

It was my intention to keep the GV thread rules to a minimum, to allow almost any car to enter, even if this means that some cars will eventually dominate, but as we've seen for some of the Seasonal Time Trials, some cars can dominate at a particular PP value and can eliminate all the rest of the cars from the competition (and this would be un-welcome).

Now to make it fair for the rest of us, I am considering a rule about certain drivers using MR cars.:)

See you on the track!
GTsail

Now to make it fair for the rest of us, I am considering a rule about certain drivers using MR cars.:)

Seconded! :lol:

Well, you won't have to worry about little old me in an MR, or any concept car, for a good long while. :sly:
"Art is never finished, only abandoned." ~Leonardo daVinci

After a fretful few days auditioning a range of FR's, I've tentatively settled on one to tune and post a run or two in. 💡
Along with that, I really should spread out into different tire categories, and perhaps then run a 4WD.

I'm looking forward to you two (and the others) to post some impressive runs in the very near future. 👍

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Oof, well I ran line up #1 with my Integrale, tuned to 225hp with 1188kg at 419pp. Sports mediums, could do comfortable 2'17s in practice so jump in. Little understeery but not too bad.

Except in the race I can do 2'18.3 and not much faster without burning tyres in 13 laps! Maybe need to set the diff to 0/100 on distro and I think I'll have to up the power, just get eaten alive on the straights. Maybe try it on SH.

Quit after about 30 laps having made 2 stops and no one else pitting!

It took me a while to get the Alfa 147 anywhere near 2:17.xxx but with this circuit - with only the one main straight - top end isn't as important. I found using ballast to get closer to a 50/50 split and then adding some power to counteract it works far better at improving the balance and therefore, for me, tyre wear. Having said that, I haven't tried a 4WD yet.

The quickest of the AI will pit between laps 28 and 33, some only the once. I don't know how they do it.

Oof, well I ran line up #1
Quit after about 30 laps having made 2 stops and no one else pitting!

I thought it was well established the RX-7 pits twice in lineup #1?

The quickest of the AI will pit between laps 28 and 33, some only the once. I don't know how they do it.

I am beginning to form the opinion that you (yes, you!) have an effect on the behavior of the AI. If you pressurize them, they will drive faster, have more trouble, and wear out their tires faster - at least that's my hypothesis.

When I get around to trying a 4WD, I will certainly look at an '86 (or '91?) Celica 2000GT-Four (ST165) and an '05 Golf IV R32. In GT4 , I did real well with these on tire wear and A-spec points.

Respectfully,
Steve

Last edited:
I don't believe the RX-7 pitted on my run with the Alfa and that was lineup #1. I think he pitted on lap 32, although there was a lot going on at that time. I did spend the last third of the race chasing him down so I don't know if that makes any difference to his strategy.

No one in front of me pitted (I was 4th, about 46 seconds down when I went in for 2nd stop). Good idea on the ballast, axle. I'll play with that and push up the power a bit.

with only the one main straight

Sort of, but you're flat out from the final chicane to the first hairpin and flat out from the first hairpin to the second hairpin. That's a lot of time! :D

But the AI's are real bottlers around here and you can usually make up any places lost on the straight into the first hairpin or at the left kink and run down to the second hairpin. I've found you can make up a ton of time by keeping as flat out as possible through the right hander and left kink as the AI either brake or back off. That usually leaves them sitters through the next twisting section.

I've driven this waaay too much. :lol:

Oh I agree, it was more the 2'18s and 2'19s I was doing whilst needing to do a 4 stop strategy (if I was gentle) that killed it for me! I overtook someone around the left hander just before the right hand tunnel before the bridge.

I have decided to try a Concept Car at the Valley.

So I check my garage and light upon the Mazda Kusabi Concept '03

I give it a tune and end up with the following specs:

Horsepower: 173
Weight: 930 (30kg of ballast was added)
PP value: 420
Tires: SH (used throughout the race)

I take it to the Valley and launch the race against lineup # 11.

After ten laps I'm in 3rd place only 6 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7.

I pit after 20 laps, and at the time, I was only 3 seconds behind the first place Mazda RX-7.

On lap # 29, I pass the race leading Impreza WRX and take over the lead of the race.

After 35 laps (and everyone has finished their pit stops) I have a 35 second lead over the 2nd place Mazda RX-7, and I'm pulling away.

I pull the plug since my car is too strong. This makes me worried that some of the Concept cars in the game may dominate the GV Leaderboards (an issue previously discussed by Dotini and axletramp).

New Rule

I would like to implement a small change to the rules for this thread. Since there is a chance that some of the game's Concept cars may dominate the Leaderboards (and this would be un-welcome), I propose that anyone running Concept cars must run them against the "rabbit" cars that show up within some of the Valley's lineups.

The "rabbit" cars run the GV race about 2 minutes faster than the "regular" AI cars, and therefore, to beat them your car needs to be that much stronger. I have not yet identified all of the "rabbits", but I have started to list them just under the "Rules" section on post # 1.

Hopefully, this rule will prevent any of the Concept cars from dominating the Leaderboards, plus it should encourage some of us to take on the rabbits without worrying that this would have a detrimental impact on the Leaderboard rankings.

This "Concept car" Rule is still in the experimental stage, so if we find that its not absolutely necessary, it could get rescinded.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
Sounds good. As you say, see how it goes and like the FIA you can always change your mind later. ;) Only kidding, at least this isn't going to ban the use of concepts. 👍

I'm glad GTsail is taking such an interest in his thread - it reinforces my determination to continue contributing. Thank you, GTsail, you are a great credit to the game and to GTPlanet. 👍

Recently I picked an FR to run, and settled at least temporarily, on the Mazda RX-8 Type E. I wanted to break this new baby in, and also check out if the Fairlady Z '08 in lineup #5 qualifies as valid for the rabbit rule. So I entered with a rather haphazard setup without much testing.
Fortunately, it wasn't too bad.

Mazda RX-8 Type E '03
395 PP

198 hp
1501 kg
Sports Medium throughout
PL: 85%
Top Speed Setting: 132 mph; actual speed 123 mph
All aids off. ABS 1. G27 wheel.

Total time: 2:19:11.266
FL: 2:16.722
MoV: ~20 over the Fairlady Z '08
Mov to 3rd: ~1:50 to Fairlady Z '02

Lineup # 5
Start......................................................Finish.........Fastest Lap
1. Infiniti G35 Coupe '06..............................11.........2:21
2. Subaru Legacy 2.0GT specB '03.................4...........2:17.459
3. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '94...........6..........2:19.926
4.Nissan Fairlady Z Vers ST Z33 '02...............3...........2:16.385.......pits twice
5. Nissan Fairlady Z Z34 '08.....................2...........2:14.003....pits twice
6. Mits Lancer Evolution GSR '92...................12..........2:21
8. Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05...........7............2:17.272
9. Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT...............9............2:17.994
10.Nissan Skyline GTR Vspec R33 '95.............5...........2:17.032
11 Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15 '02..............8...........2:17.320
12.Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01........................10..........2:18.531

Lap 1: Fall to 8th. Take 7th at sweeper. 6th into hairpin. 5th out of hairpin. 4th in tunnel chicane. 3rd into 1st tunnel. 2:25.165
Lap 2: 2nd into 2nd hairpin. 2:18.580
Lap 3: 1st from B4 exiting 2nd tunnel. 2:17.923
Lap 7: Set my fastest lap of race at 2:16.722
Lap 9: Fairlady Z '02 is now 2nd.
Lap 13 Fairlady Z '08 is now 2nd. I'm up about 3 seconds.
20: Pit first, drop to 4th. Left front worn 50%. Ive been understeering - must fix that!
24: Inherit 1st when Z '02 pits. Z '08 previously pitted on lap 21.
40: Final stop. Left front worn 50%, rears not so much. Must fix that!

My setup
LSD: 15-35-12
Ride Height: -20/-20
Springs: 12.1/11.0
Extn: 5/5
Comp:5/5
ARB: 4/4
Toe: 0/+0.10
Brake: 6/4
Ballast 171 kg @ 0, (50/50)
Extra Rigidity: No

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Mazda RX-8 Type E '03
395 PP

198 hp
1501 kg
Ballast 171kg @ 0 (50/50)
Sports Medium throughout

Total time: 2:19:11.266
FL: 2:16.722
MoV: ~20 over the Fairlady Z '08
Mov to 3rd: ~1:50 to Fairlady Z '02

Very nice run Dotini!

Had quite a bit of ballast on board I see. Was this the liquid refreshment type for after the race? Or possibly a passenger to balance the car left-to-right?

So it looks like the 2008 Nissan Fairlady is strong, but not a rabbit since your total race time was 2 hours and 19 minutes. Thanks for checking!

GTsail

The school run just got a whole lot quicker! I wanted to run something heavier and more unusual for a change, so the obvious car that sprang to mind was the Volvo 240 Estate. Took some hefty tuning and testing to get her to turn in correctly but the issue is always going to be tyre degradation with her so I eventually settle with SM's to keep me on a 3 stop strategy. And as for the colour - well, it's got to be either beige or outrageous hasn't it? So I went for...

Yeah baby, chrome pink on gold rims! :dopey: BTW, I don't usually drive like that but in the excitement I went straight back to the main menu and forgot to check the replay. :dunce: These shots were taken immediately afterwards in free practice mode once I realised what I'd done and I was just hooning it about.

Car: Volvo 240 GLT Estate '88
HP: 249
PP: 420
Weight: 1506Kg
Mods: See below
Power Level: 92.7%
Top Speed Setting: 148mph
Tyres: SM
All aids off. ABS 1. DFGT wheel.

volvo240gvstune.jpg

The above image lists the tyres as SS rather than the SMs I actually used. I changed as I couldn't get to 15 laps on the SS tyres although I did record a fastest lap in practice of 2:15.235 on them.

Grid #1:
1. Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT
2. Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
3. Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15 '02
4. Mazda RX-7 Type RS '98
5. Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GTB '96
6. Nissan 300ZX 2seater Z32 '98
7. Me
8. Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT '03
9. Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 '98
10. Toyota Supra RZ '97
11. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Ver. VI
12. Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95

Once again due to time constraints my notes were written on the fly. I do however have lap times, figures and key moments.

Lap 1: 2:21.xxx:
Volvo accelerates surprisingly well for a 5-speed box and I don't lose any places on the run to the first hairpin. Exit in 5th after running around the outside. Chase down leaders and end lap 3rd. -1.8 secs down from 300ZX and RX-7.
Lap 2: 2:17.xxx: Clean lap where I catch and pass the RX-7 after the second hairpin and 300ZX into the long tunnel. My tactic of short gearing the Volvo means I can hit 135mph on the straight with the rev light flashing, so I don't lose the lead. +0.5 secs.
Lap 3: 2:17.xxx: All my testing work pays off and she feels really good to drive. Clean lap. +3 secs.
Lap 4: 2:17.xxx: +3.5 secs.
Lap 5: 2:16.713: Fastest lap of the race bizarrely happens on full fuel. +4 secs.
Lap 6: 2:17.xxx: +4.5 secs. RX-7 finally clears the 300ZX and the Silvia catches them both.
Lap 7: 2:18.xxx: +5 secs.
Lap 8: 2:17.xxx: +5.5 secs.
Lap 9: 2:18.xxx: This is the first lap the RX-7 matches my times which usually means the tyres are now about to tail off. This Volvo is beautifully consistent though so I'm going to make it to lap 15.
Lap 10: 2:18.xxx: +5 secs. Front tyres at 67%, rears >80%. RX-7 getting into his stride.
Lap 11: 2:19.xxx: +4 secs.
Lap 12: 2:20.xxx: OK, tyres fading now. Keeping an eye on that mirror. +3 secs.
Lap 13: 2:20.xxx: +2 secs.
Lap 14: 2:20.xxx: RX-7 all over me with the Silvia and WRX the length of the main straight away. +0.5 secs.
Lap 15: 2:43.521: PIT IN and I manage to cynically keep the RX-7 at bay. I take on new SM tyres and no fuel. Tyres were Fronts: 25%, rears: 70%. RX-7 is released.
Lap 16: 2:24.xxx: PIT OUT into 5th place. -36 secs down.
Lap 17: 2:17.xxx: -34 secs.
Lap 18: 2:17.xxx: Take 4th into the first tunnel. Concentrating on keeping my front tyres from going red so I can keep this pace up as long as possible. -32 secs.
Lap 19: 2:18.xxx: A real balancing act between speed and tyre wear as I need to bring this gap down before the RX-7 pits. -30 secs.
Lap 20: 2:17.xxx: -28 secs.
Lap 21: 2:17.xxx: I see the first cars start to pit - don't know who, I'm just concentrating on my brake points, apexes and tyres. Catch and pass the battling 300ZX and WRX to go 2nd. -25 secs.
Lap 22: 2:18.xxx: Start to take bigger chunks out of the RX-7's lead as he must be into the final phase for his tyres. Mine are surprisingly good after begin careful. -22 secs.
Lap 23: 2:19.xxx: Lost a couple of seconds dealing with a backmarker. -21 secs.
Lap 24: 2:18.xxx: -18 secs.
Lap 25: 2:18.xxx: Praying the RX-7 stays out a few laps longer so I can keep gaining. -15 secs.
Lap 26: 2:19.xxx: Tyres start to fade but now I can see him ahead. -13 secs
Lap 27: 2:19.xxx: Hideous lap for the RX-7 means I slash his lead to -9 secs.
Lap 28: 2:19.xxx: RX-7 pits which means I take the lead. Woo, first feels good! As the 300ZX has pitted the RX-7 is going to come out somewhere near the WRX.
Lap 29: 2:42.xxx: PIT IN. In true F1 style I decide to come in a lap early to cover the RX-7's new found pace. New tyres and 10 litres of fuel as I've used just over half a tank. I leave the pits +31 secs ahead which would mean the RX-7 managed to stay ahead of the WRX.
Lap 30: 2:27.xxx: PIT OUT. Bad out lap on cold tyres means I run wide and clip the gravel at the hairpin. +29 secs.
Lap 31: 2:17.xxx: Better, but as usual the RX-7 is running slightly quicker and cuts my lead even though I'm running at the same pace as before. +28 secs.
Lap 32: 2:18.xxx: +27 secs.
Lap 33: 2:17.xxx: WRX pits for his only stop. +26 secs.
Lap 34: 2:18.xxx: Not panicking yet. +24.5 secs.
Lap 35: 2:16.xxx: Good lap. +24 secs.
Lap 36: 2:18.xxx: +23 secs.
Lap 37: 2:17.xxx: +22 secs.
Lap 38: 2:17.xxx: RX-7 continues his relentless 1 sec a lap gain. If I screw up he'll be on me. +21 secs.
Lap 39: 2:18.xxx: +19 secs.
Lap 40: 2:18.xxx: +17.5 secs.
Lap 41: 2:19.xxx: Entering my tyre degradation phase - gulp! +16 secs.
Lap 42: 2:19.xxx: +15 secs.
Lap 43: 2:19.xxx: +12.5 secs.
Lap 44: 2:43.xxx: PIT IN. My tyres have had their 15 laps so I have to come in, still a lap early. I hope my light fuel load will help me pull 16 laps in the final phase. New SM tyres and 10 litres of fuel to keep me light.
Lap 45: 2:25.xxx: PIT OUT in 2nd -38 secs down. Plenty of back markers but no sign of the WRX.
Lap 46: 2:17.xxx: This is it, the final phase. If I can get within 30 secs of the RX-7 then hopefully he'll pit near the end and I've got a chance, albeit on dead tyres. -38 secs.
Lap 47: 2:17.xxx: -37 secs.
Lap 48: 2:17.xxx: -36.5 secs.
Lap 49: 2:17.xxx: -36 secs.
Lap 50: 2:18.xxx: First sign his tyres are going. :D -33 secs.
Lap 51: 2:17.xxx: -31 secs.
Lap 52: 2:18.xxx: -29 secs.
Lap 53: 2:18.xxx: Come on! This is looking good. -27 secs.
Lap 54: 2:19.xxx: Feeling the tyres go. -26 secs.
Lap 55: 2:19.xxx: -25 secs.
Lap 56: 2:19.xxx: -23 secs.
Lap 57: 2:20.xxx: Please pit, please pit! -22 secs.
Lap 58: 2:21.xxx: YEEEESSS! RX-7 pits and I sail through.
Lap 59: 2:20.xxx: Tyres are shot but I just focus on early braking and apexes, the rest will come. +12 secs.
Lap 60: 2:21.xxx: Spent the lap watching the RX-7 gain every sector but I was comfortable with what I had in this car. Crossed the line to win by +7.802 seconds. 👍

Finishing time was 2:19:45.223 with a winning margin of 7.802 secs over the second place RX-7. 3rd place was the WRX STi 52.548 secs down.

Fastest lap: 2:16.713 on lap 5.

Car stats at the end were: 243 BHP / 411 PP.

Conclusion:
Wow. I made a proper little racer of the Volvo 240! Surprisingly quick in a straight line and so, so predictable - nibble too for a big car. Also runs very well on worn tyres which helped with consistency. I would really recommend trying out my settings and surprising the competition. I ran this with a stage 2 turbo and ballast to keep near 420 - 430 PP for this event, feel free to go with a stage 3 turbo as she can take it with very little wheelspin. My rear tyres at 249 BHP only wore to 70% over 15 laps.

So that's a MR, FF and FR ticked off. Now for a RR or 4WD... :D

edit: Do I get a special award for winning in a car capable of carrying a grandfather clock in the back? ;)

Last edited:
edit: Do I get a special award for winning in a car capable of carrying a grandfather clock in the back? ;)

Yes! 💡
You also get awards for:
- Comprehensive, informative and colorful race notes: 👍
- Posting pictures (I wish I knew how): :cool:
- Tireless generalized enthusiasm (a.k.a, 'nutter' award) for GV300km: :)

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Why thank you very much. :D

Might have to be a 4WD next as I'm a bit nervous about the limited RR choices. The Ruf's are too powerful so... DeLorean or Karmann Ghia, hmmmm?

Continuing with my Concept Car research I check the GV300km lineups for possible rabbits and decide to attempt a run against lineup # 8 that has a couple of strong looking AI.

I give my Mazda Kusabi Concept '03 some further tuning treatments and end up with the following specs:

Horsepower: 175
Weight: 950 (50 kg of ballast)
PP value: 421
Tires: SH (used throughout the race)
P.Limiter: 95.4%
No skid

Lineup # 8 has the following AI:
------------------------------
Mits Lancer EVO VIII GSR '03
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A FD '02
Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '94
Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00
Mits Lancer EVO IX GSR '05
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT 2seater
me
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR RC ST185 '91
Honda S2000 '06
Mits Lancer EVO X GSR PP '07
Subaru Impreza Coupe WRX type R STI
Honda NSX '97

After the flag drops I coast for a bit to let the field stream past, so I follow the Honda NSX '97 into the first hairpin. I pass the 11th place NSX '97 and the 10th place Impreza Coupe WRX type R going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel. I then pass the 9th place Honda S2000 going thru the 3rd tunnel.

On lap # 2, I pass the 8th place Toyota Celica GT-FOUR going thru the fast sweepers.

On lap # 3, I pass the 7th place Lancer EVO X GSR '07 going thru the 2nd tunnel. I also pass the Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX going thru the final esses.

On lap # 4, I pass the 5th place Lancer EVO IX GSR '05 going thru the final esses.

As I begin lap # 5, I get passed by the Honda NSX '97 who drafts past me into the first hairpin at considerable speed. I follow the NSX for the rest of the lap and end lap # 5 in 6th place some 18 seconds behind the race leader.

On lap # 6, I set an early lap record of 2.15.223

I pass the 5th place Impreza Sedan WRX '94 going thru the first hairpin on lap # 7. I also pass the 4th place Honda NSX '97 as we go across the bridge.

Just as I begin lap # 8, the Honda NSX drafts back past me. Not wanting to let this stand, I brake late for the first hairpin and quickly re-pass the NSX as we exit the first hairpin.

Just as I begin lap # 9, the Honda NSX drafts back past me again. I can't make a re-pass in the hairpin, but I'm able to re-pass the NSX going thru the fast sweepers between the two hairpins.

Just as I begin lap # 10, I get passed by the Honda NSX again!! This time I re-pass the NSX going thru the first hairpin. At the end of lap # 10, I get the news that I'm 21 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7 Spirit.

Just as I begin lap # 11, I get passed by the Honda NSX again. I re-pass him going thru the first hairpin.

This is repeated at the beginning of lap # 12 as well!!!

Amazingly, the Honda NSX doesn't draft past me at the beginning of lap # 13.???

At the beginning of lap # 14, the Honda NSX pulls along-side me at the end of the S/F straight but doesn't get past me before we both brake for the first hairpin, so I beat him thru the hairpin. For some reason, the Honda NSX is very aggressive as we go thru the fast sweepers and he smacks me and half-way spins me out!! I maintain forward momentum, but I actually smack the left-side rock wall before continuing on!!! The NSX backs off after this impact and lets me continue on ahead of him. I probably lost about 2.5 seconds to the race leader during this altercation. I'll have my pit crew take a look at my fenders during my first pit stop because I expect to see some significant damage.

At the beginning of lap # 15, I see that the NSX is in my mirrors but he doesn't try to get past me going into the first hairpin. At the end of lap # 15, I get the news that I've fallen 28 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7. I would say that fully 5 seconds of this is due to my battles with the Honda NSX.

At the beginning of lap # 16, the Honda NSX drafts past me again. However, as soon as he starts to brake for the first hairpin, he loses the back-end of the NSX and fish-tails across the track. I have to under-take extreme avoidance maneuvers to miss him and have to put a couple of tires on the grass before I can get past. I'm able to continue on without a trip to the beach, but I think that the NSX may have spun out because he falls back by about 3 seconds as I power thru the fast sweepers.

I'm all alone at the beginning of lap # 17 since the Honda NSX has fallen back a bit. At the end of lap # 17 the NSX enters the pits for his first stop. I'm sure that he's worn out his tires during all the attempts to get past me. Perhaps normally he might be able to run 18 laps.

At the end of lap # 18, I finally catch and pass the 3rd place Lancer EVO VIII GSR '03 going thru the final esses.

I'm 29 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7 when I pit at the end of lap # 20 for a new set of SH tires and 5 liters of fuel. As soon as I pit the 4th place Lancer EVO VIII GSR drives past. After another 15 seconds, the 5th place Honda S2000 also drives past.

I'm under-way again and have re-joined the race track before the 6th place Impreza Coupe WRX type R or the 7th place Honda NSX can catch me. However, they are both together about 3 seconds behind me as I brake for the first hairpin. At the first checkpoint on lap # 21, I see that I've fallen 57 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7.

On lap # 23, I catch and pass the 4th place Honda S2000 going thru the final esses. The Honda S2000 pits at the end of lap # 24, so he's not going to be a threat during the rest of the race.

By the end of lap # 25, I have reduced the Mazda's lead over me to 42 seconds.

On lap # 26, I pass the 3rd place Lancer EVO VIII GSR gong thru the 2nd hairpin, and I lap the Toyota Celica.

At the end of lap # 27, the 2nd place Nissan Skyline GTR pits so I drive past and take over 2nd place in the race. I was about 10 seconds behind him when he pitted.

I'm only 20 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7 when he pits at the end of lap # 29.

I take over the race lead when I begin lap # 30! At the first checkpoint on lap # 30, I see that I have a 2.2 second lead over the Honda NSX who has climbed right thru the field with me after his pit stop.

At the end of lap # 32, I pass the Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX and two other back-markers who are in the pits.

The Honda NSX pits at the end of lap # 34 and gives 2nd place back to the MAzda RX-7. At the first checkpoint on lap # 35 I get the news that I have a 9 second lead over the Mazda RX-7. The Honda NSX has fallen back to 3rd place and the Nissan Skyline GTR is in 4th place.

On lap # 37, I lap the Toyota Celica GT-FOUR again.

I have a 1.1 second lead over the 2nd place Mazda RX-7 when I pit at the end of lap # 40 for another set of SH tires and 5 liters of fuel. The Mazda drives past and takes over the race lead. After 10 seconds, two back-markers drive past. After 5 more seconds another back-marker drives past.

And then, just as I get released from the pit-speed limiter, the Honda NSX drives past and drops me into 3rd place in the race. The 4th place Nissan Skyline GTR is not in sight as I begin lap # 41. At the first checkpoint on lap # 41 I get the news that I've fallen 30 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7. I'm about 4 seconds behind the 2nd place Honda NSX.

On lap # 42, I pass the Toyota Celica GT-FOUR, who was one of the back-markers who unlapped himself during my last pit stop.

With fresh tires I now run some very fast laps. Lap 43 is a 2.15.307 and lap # 44 is a 2.15.329

At the end of lap # 45, I get the news that I'm 28 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7.

On lap # 47 I pass the 8th place Mits Lancer EVO X GSR PP '07.

At the end of lap # 50, I'm 17 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7.

As I begin lap # 51, I can just barely see the 2nd place Honda NSX who is about 3.5 seconds ahead of me. His tires are pretty worn so I may be able to catch him before he needs to pit again.

On lap # 53, I pass the 2nd place Honda NSX going thru the tight left-hander just before the 1st tunnel. His tires are shot and he's drifting thru every corner which made it possible for me to catch him.

As I begin lap # 54, I see that the 3rd palce Honda NSX has entered the pits for his 3rd stop.

At the end of lap # 55, I get the news that I'm 7.5 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7.

At the beginning of lap # 58, I draft past the leading Mazda RX-7 and out-brake him going into the first hairpin, and take over the race lead. I also pass the Toyota Celica again, so I think he goes 3 laps down. The Mazda RX-7 pits at the end of lap # 58, which allows the Honda NSX to drive past and take over 2nd place in the race behind me.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 59 I see that I have a 17 second lead over the Honda NSX '97. This should be enough!

After 60 laps I win another trophy!

Race time was 2 hours, 18 minutes and 6.244 seconds

Finish order
-------------
1) me in the Kusabi Concept
2) Honda NSX '97 ---------- 12.645 seconds back
3) Mazda RX-7 '02 ---------- 30.295 seconds back
4) Honda S2000 ------------ 48.984 seconds back
5) Skyline GTR R34 -------- 1min, 9 seconds back
6) Lancer EVO VIII --------
7) Impreza Coupe WRX type R
8) Lancer EVO X GSR '07
9) Impreza WRX '94
10) Lancer EVO IX GSR
11) Nissan Fairlady Z
12) Toyota Celica GT-FOUR

Post race notes:
-----------------
I had some really great battles against the Honda NSX during the middle of the race. My Kusabi Concept is really nice and for a FF car is very strong and handles quite well. It probably is better than just about any other FF car that I've driven recently.

Concept Car rabbit rule:
-------------------------
I'm not sure what to do about this. The Honda NSX '97 is certainly strong (about 20-25 seconds stronger than most AI), but it might not be as fast as a couple of the other "rabbits".

Maybe its the slowest "rabbit" or the fastest non-rabbit. Its going to be a problem! More study is necessary!

See you on the track!
GTsail

Last edited:
Nice report and analysis. I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said that the Kusabi Concept is 'probably better than just about any other FF car that I've driven recently'. In general I think PD make the concepts just too good to drive, possibly because they have to base their physics and data on proposed performance, pre-launch testing or just plain guessing. Might be why they tend to dominate in their respective classes. It's as if they want them to be better because they're concepts.

Interesting to see the NSX '97 pit three times. I wonder if the Type-R does as well?

Good write ups Tramp & Sail. 👍

Spent some time on the Integrale, 62-38 weight balance was the reason for my front tyres dying! Had to ballast it (probably should not have removed all that weight, but meh) and power it up a little.

Good stuff - look forward to your report. :D

62/38 was the best I could get out of the Volvo but it made a big difference. I looked around at a few online tunes and lowered and softened the rear end to help the nose bite a little better. The diff settings were partial guesswork based on previous FR tunes. All seemed to work though.

...Interesting to see the NSX '97 pit three times. I wonder if the Type-R does as well?

Last night I did a partial race against the Honda NSX Type R '02 and found that it pitted on lap # 24 and then again on lap # 48, so its on a two-stopper, and its fast!

I ran against lineup # 10, which also has the Toyota MR2 GT-S '97, and the Toyota looks to be on a four-stopper!! It wears out its rear-tires like crazy so it needs to pit often (like we do!) (I didn't run the race to the end, so I don't know what lap it used for its last stop, but my guess is on lap # 57, after already stopping on laps 14, 28 and 42).

Also, lineup # 10 had the '97 NSX, and it was battling the Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00 for second place in the race. So I have decided that the '97 NSX is not a "rabbit".

I am therefore throwing out my Kusabi Concept run (post # 78)!

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Type-R only a two-stopper must be a real tough one. I'm guessing he gets the race over so quickly he does need to pit again! :lol:

Once I've done with my low PP 'project' of winning with every layout (MR, FF, FR, 4WD and RR), I'm going to see what PP level it takes to beat that Type-R. Although at my rate of one race a week could see that taking a while!

Quite surprised the '97 NSX isn't a rabbit. I would have put money on that. :)

....Quite surprised the '97 NSX isn't a rabbit.

Well, I have to draw the line somewhere, so the Honda NSX '97 has fallen below the "line".:)

The '97 NSX loses about 15 seconds because of the 3rd pitstop, and he loses about 15 seconds when drifting various corners during the last 3 laps before he pits. These 30 seconds have cost him his "rabbit" status.:)

If you take him on during a race, you'll see what I mean about him drifting the tight turns. Its quite entertaining!

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
Can it be said that the Type R NSX's are rabbits, and the non-Type R's are not?

Respectfully,
Steve

Can it be said that the Type R NSX's are rabbits, and the non-Type R's are not?

I think the Honda NSX '01 is almost as fast as the NSX Type R '02, so I'm going to consider it a "rabbit" as well. I've run against the '01 NSX and we both lapped the field, so he's about 2 minutes faster than everyone else. I haven't run against the Honda NSX Type R '92, so I don't know about it (more research needed).

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
I decided to try one more run in a stock car for now, with lower PP, against a slower field this time. Long story short, it didn't go well. :)

I chose the undesired Supra, the '97 SZ-R. Stock parts. SM tires. 230hp, 1450kg. Tried the first field with an extra 125kg ballast in the back because for some reason I really wanted to at least try 410PP. Too slow, front tires going off badly after 14 laps. Aborted.

Ran online for a little while then went back, took the ballast off, so 417PP. Ran against Field #5.

G35 Coupe '06
Legacy 2.0GT Spec B '03
Impreza Sedan WRX STI '94
Fairlady Z Version ST '02
Fairlady Z '08
Lancer Evo GSR '92
350z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver. S TT 2seater '98
Skyline GT-R V-Spec '95
Silvia Spec R Aero '02
Soarer 430SCV '01

Skip to the end of the post for the more valuable info if you don't want to read the unpleasant details. I really need to learn how to keep things shorter but I'm just no good at it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I started with the brakes a notch lower this time at 6/5 to try to help tire wear.

The G35 held the field up for the first 5 or 6 laps. The WRX was first to get by on lap 4. I was patient and raced pretty fairly with them, had a good fight with the Fairlady Z '08 for a few laps, messed up and dropped back, caught back up to him, then dropped back again. I could have easily skipped straight to the front if I had wanted to take advantage of their idiocy but I didn't. I wound up running even slower times than I did at 410PP because of the traffic jam.

After a mistake in the turn 2 hairpin on lap 6 I dropped back to 8th and then as the others finally started to get by the G35 I found my gap to first had gone from 5 to 18 seconds in a couple of laps. After getting bashed around pretty bad by the AI from the start of the race(I was innocent in all of it I swear :) ), I passed the G35 for 5th on lap 8. Then I finally get a chance to see my times, which aren't as good as I hope. I'm losing ground, but not much on my good laps. Too bad the WRX I was chasing didn't turn out to be the real threat.

15 laps in, my front SMs are down to half wear, rears only down 10% or so and still blue. The front end is way too heavy(55-45) and it's killing me. I had a hard time finding the right lines to minimize the understeer, and only managed one lap barely under 2:20. I forgot until now to lower the brake pressure as the tires wore, which hasn't helped. The gap has grown to 29 seconds.

Lap 20 I pit after a couple of lousy 2:23s. The car can do 2:21-2 but my driving and the worn fronts are making it very difficult. I almost think I should be using the e-brake. The deficit balooned to 45 seconds before I stopped. Front tires down about 75%, rears down about 25%(and still blue). The crew says I need 7 liters of fuel so I leave it for later. After pitting and rejoining 8th, I left the brakes at 5/4 to try to get another decent lap. Gap was 1:17 after pitting. The Fairlady Z '08 has taken the lead by now.

After being further frustrated by understeer I turned the rear brakes up, so 5/5. I I set a really nice 2:18.036 early in the stint but sadly can't even get back into the 28s at all the whole rest of the time, steady 2:19s for the most part. The Fairlady Z '08 pits on lap 22, catches and overtakes the WRX to get back in front on lap 29. The Z Ver. ST '02 pits after lap 29 and I pass him.

I retake 7th and 6th on-track by lap 30, then the WRX and 350Z Gran Turismo 4 '05 at the start of lap 31, but expect them not to stop again. I've long since abandoned hope of winning, but it's too late to restart so I soldier on to get some data. I've had some problems with oversteer at Turn 2 but more problems with just not slowing down enough to turn in. The 5/5 balance seems to be helping more than hurting the rest of the lap, though the times don't show much.

I move up to 2nd after lap 31. The Fairlady Z Ver. ST '02 catches me and eventually passes me on lap 33, just before we lap the G35. The Z blows me away by the end of the lap. My times drop back into the 20s and I'm losing lots of time to the Z '08, over 50 seconds by lap 35, which is when the WRX catches me, passes me, spins in turn 1, smashes into me in turn 2 before I get by. The 350Z and Legacy join him behind me shortly. It takes them until lap 38 to pass me despite me not blocking.

I pit my second time on lap 40 with a 1:19 gap, after a slightly better series of times despite a 2:24 when the WRX pushed me wide in the last corner which is how those cars got by.

I only dropped the front brake pressure as the tires wore down in that stint, and left them that way (4/5) for the rest of the race. Very very rare that I want a rear brake bias. I often go down more than that late in a stint, but I don't know how much difference it would have made this time. It seems like once the fronts wear to about 20%, I can no longer turn and then they drop below half in no time. They are still about 75% used, but the rears are still only 25-30% worn. However it's not really on the brakes that I'm having the most problems, the car just won't turn, for example in turns 4 & 5 over the crest between the hairpins, where you don't brake at all. I'll never complain about understeer in my Z-28 again. :)

Interestingly, the crew only offers me 4 liters of fuel this time, which I take. 1:53 down after the stop.

Some time around half to three-quarter distance I rather stopped caring about how polite and contact-free I was being to the AI cars, unusual for me.

After pitting I get an 18.8 with a little tow and soon a 2:17.647 fastest lap with a big slipstream on the front straight. Then I immediately drop back into the 2:19s. It takes longer to catch 7th, and 6th pits from right in front of me on lap 54. Fairlady Z '08 pitted after lap 43, and kept the lead. He caught me and lapped me at the start of my lap 58. I had thought that second caught me a lap later, it was a car I hadn't seen before, but it was actually the GT-R coming from the rear of the field. I let him go thinking he was second and so I didn't get to see if I could hold him off and maybe take advantage of passing the cruising Fairlady early on our lap 60.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too many words for such a lousy race, so here's the summary and results.

Me:
417PP, SM tires, Supra SZ-R '97 fully stock. No aids.
FL: 2:17.647 (tow)
Most good laps only in the 2:19s.

Car is ok for the first couple laps but soon starts to understeer very badly and chews the front tires up in no time with a 55-45 weight balance. I eventually countered this with a 4/5 brake pressure which made it feel better, but not necessarily any faster. 20 laps is pushing it despite the tires not approaching zero. "Best handling in it's class" indeed... is it classed as a light truck?

Car only needed 4 liters of fuel to reach the end.

The gears are actually not bad, 1st is useless as you'd expect but you just about redline in 5th on the straight. I never hit the limiter or really needed 6th without a tow. I do wish 2nd was 5-8mph longer, you almost but not quite need it in turn 2 and between the tunnels, at least while your tires are good.

Stopped on laps 20 and 40. Car would have much preferred 17, 34, and 51.

Race Results:

My time: 2:22:24.374 (+2:37.721)
That makes the leader's time: 2:19:46.653 if my math is correct. I would have very nearly lapped him with the Z28 and its 30 more PP.

Full Order:

1 Fairlady Z '08 -- Stopped on 22 and 43. --------------- FL 2:14.338
2 Fairlady Z Ver. ST '02 ---------------------- +1:43.1 -- FL 2:16.475
3 WRX STI '94 ------------------------------ +2:16.957 -- FL 2:17.918
4 Legacy B4 2.0GT spec B '03 --------------- +2:17.750 -- FL 2:17.478
5 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd. '05 -------------- +2:19.237 -- FL 2:17.597
6 Skyline GT-R V-Spec '95 ------------ +2:27.280 (1 lap) -- FL 2:16.981
7 *Supra SZ-R '97 ------------------ +2:37.721 (1 lap) -- FL 2:17.647
8 Silvia Spec R Aero '02 --------------------- 1 lap -- FL 2:17.286
9 Fairlady Z 300ZX Version S TT 2seater '98 -- 1 lap -- FL 2:17.966
10 Soarer 430 SCV '01 ----------------------- 1 lap -- FL 2:18.541
11 Lancer Evo GSR '92 ----------------------- 2 laps -- FL 2:21.908
12 G35 Coupe '06 ---------------------------- 2 laps -- FL 2:21.625

A couple of those cars were probably really down another lap since the winner was cruising in cooldown mode for a full lap.

I never stood a chance, kind of knew that by lap 15 but it was already getting late and I had a time limit. The Valley is always fun, and wrestling with the car was it's own form of frustrating fun too. Particularly in the difficult turn 2 hairpin which I still consider one of my favorite corners in all of racing, on one of the best racetracks never built. I'm sure I could have done much better and would do if I tried again with all I know, but a win is probably impossible for me, maybe 3rd.

I'll try this again with Sports Softs and an aggressive surge to the front. If that doesn't work I'll try tuning the car's non-power/weight parts to see what I can do. A wing is likely as useful as it would be on a Neon. I will win with this underpowered pig before I give up. Then perhaps I'll move on to something more enjoyable and highly tuned. Sadly I don't have any sitting around that wouldn't require massive limiting.

This does seem like a decent field for low-pp runs, as a lot can happen with the slowest car starting first, though there is probably a slower "fast guy" in another field.

I decided to try one more run in a stock car for now, with lower PP, against a slower field this time. Long story short, it didn't go well. :)

I chose the undesired Supra, the '97 SZ-R. Stock parts. SM tires. 230hp, 1450kg. Tried the first field with an extra 125kg ballast in the back because for some reason I really wanted to at least try 410PP. Too slow, front tires going off badly after 14 laps.

Ran online for a little while then went back, took the ballast off, so 417PP. Ran against Field #5.

"Best handling in it's class" indeed... is it classed as a light truck?

High marks for a great read Morgoth_666!:)

If you are serious about running the Supra again, I suggest two changes:
1) Perform the stage 1 weight reduction (I know it permanent, but who needs air-conditioning/radios/seats?)
2) Purchase the custom suspension and ask Dotini for a tune

I look forward to your next installment.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Nice one Morgoth. That was a good read. 👍 Sometimes it's therapeutic to post the failures - I should know! :lol:

I know where you're coming from with the 'run it stock' approach. I've tried that a number of times at the Nurb 4hr, but in general stock suspension settings are just tyre killers these days. I'd take GTsail's advice plus full suspension, drivetrain and trans. Play with getting nearer to a 50/50 split with ballast as well. Hopefully you'll get it to behave better, be more stable, improve tyre wear and still be near 410-420PP. :)

Headline: Noted gastropod hunter Dotini collects rare snail, species Mazda roto puteulanus, in grassy field 16 of Grand Valley.

Car: Mazda RX-8 Type E '03
409 PP

213 hp
1474 kg
Sports Hard throughout...Pits Lap 20, 40
PL: 85%
Top Speed Setting: 136 mph; actual speed 126 mph
All aids off. ABS 1. G27 wheel.

Race Stats:
Total time: 2:19:28.666
FL: 2:17.026 (Lap 43)
MoV: ~29 sec over Mazda RX-8 Type S '07..........Fastest Lap 2:15.152...Pits twice
MoV to 3rd: ~45 sec Subaru WRX STi Ver VI '99...................2:15.411...pits once

Lineup #16:
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 '98
Nissan Skyline GTR R32 '89
Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
Nissan Fairlady Z Roadster '03
Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version VI '99
Mits Lancer EVO GSR '92
Mazda RX-8 Type S '07
Nissan Fairlady Z Version S '07
Toyota Supra RZ '97
Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95

Race Description: (abbreviated; replay saved)
Lap 1: 3rd
Lap 2: 1st
Lap 20: Pit, drop to 4th. Tire wear almost to 50% on left front caused degradation in lap times from consistent 17's and 18's up to '19's and 20's. Believe it or not, I'd already expended considerable effort in tuning to reduce understeer, but it will need some more work...:grumpy:
Lap 28: Regain lead
Lap 40: Pit, drop to 2nd
Lap 48: Regain lead

Conclusion:
Partied hard in paddock after the race with drivers, crews and fans. Cooked escargot with garlic and parsley, served with copious amounts of Chardonnay.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back