Grand Valley 300km Companion & Competition

• Thread starter GTsail
  • 291 comments
Very nice run. That's an oddly French celebration for the Mazda team. :odd:

Should be able to get to a new RR run this week. :D

Very nice run. That's an oddly French celebration for the Mazda team. :odd:

Should be able to get to a new RR run this week. :D

Thanks!
Well, since I'm chasing snails and not rabbits, I thought escargot with wine would be appropriate after gathering in the snails on the track. :drool:

RR eh? I'm not too thrilled in either them or FF, so take your time! :sly:

If I ever figure out the tuning on my RX-8, and get the best out of it, I'll do my duty in 4WD. :indiff:

Respectfully,
Steve

I just can't resist making this game too hard for me.

I appreciated the suggestions people had for how to try tuning the Supra, but I really wanted to try doing this one as the car was, just with better tires which I suspected would gain me just about enough time to have a shot. I was right, but it still takes a good bit of luck because the Fairlady Z '08 is far too fast without traffic. I tried a couple of times and failed. Once I thought I was in good shape and foolishly raced too fair too early, being unable to pass him meant he got a huge lead after his second stop. The other race he got through the traffic early and was too far ahead to catch.

Somewhere along the way my car lost a PP as it nears 5,000 miles(reached that in this race and lost an HP), though the horsepower was the same. I do feel like the practice helped me a lot and hopefully not just with this car. You really have to be careful not to overdrive it despite its lack of power.

Supra SZ-R '97

416PP 230HP/1430kg Sports Soft tires throughout. Otherwise stock. No aids.

Field #5

G35 Coupe '06
Legacy 2.0GT Spec B '03
Impreza Sedan WRX STI '94
Fairlady Z Version ST '02
Fairlady Z '08
Lancer Evo GSR '92
*Supra SZ-R '97
350z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver. S TT 2seater '98
Skyline GT-R V-Spec '95
Silvia Spec R Aero '02
Soarer 430SCV '01

--------------------------------------------

First stint:
I pass the entire field on lap 1, despite getting held up a little. The Legacy gets past the G35 as well, but I can pull away from him. My lead reaches 15 seconds on lap 10, but doesn't get much higher than that. I assume the Fairlady Z '08 has taken second by now and my lead is down to 6.5 seconds as I stretch my tires to lap 17.

No laps were above 2:20 until lap 16 which was not very good and a 2:21.2. Lap 17 wasn't any better, but I'd like to have a lap or two to play with later even though I've usually found pitting before your tires get below 30% works best - at least with longer-lasting tires. My left front is barely 10%.

Fastest lap was set on lap 3 with a 2:15.780. That turned out to be my only lap below :16 for the whole race. I'm pretty happy with most of my laps. The crew offers 7 liters of fuel which I'll decline until the last stop. I exit the pits 6th, 25 seconds behind, with 4th in sight and the 350Z breathing down my neck.

Second stint:
I easily move into 4th on lap 19, still 21 seconds down. I make a legitimate pass for 3rd braking into the third tunnel on lap 21, just before the Fairlady Z '08 pits with a 13 scond lead over me. The Fairlady Z Version ST '02 is right in front of me and falls on the next lap to give me back the lead.

This stint is a bit more consistent that the first one, the first 10 laps don't see a 15, but they don't see an 18 either. Unfortunately my 11th lap skips straight to 19, but it stays there until the last lap before I pit. I decide to push to 18 laps this time, the next-to-last is a 2:20.8, and my inlap is about the same, so I'm pretty happy. My tires held up much better too, and I bring it in on lap 35 with closer to 20% left on my left front.

The racing gods seem to be smiling on me today, as the '08 Z is apparently unable to get around the '02 until it pits, or at least until his tires start going away. I'm able to push the gap up to a massive 53 seconds(I was hoping for 35 to pit and come out with him). By the time I pit it has come back down to 47. This time I refuse 4 liters of fuel. I exit the pits with a 15 second lead which I hope to stretch for a while as he's deep into his stint. He'll be coming later though, as we both have another stop to make. But I can make mine late as I've run as far as ever on these tires.

Third Stint:
As I hoped, I was able to stretch the gap, slowly at first and then eventually up to 25 seconds. It goes up to 28 as I set a 1:16.7(best in several laps) on what I think is his in-lap 42. It then goes over 32 but I suspect that is somebody else. But it jumps up over 40 on lap 44, and the replay shows he did come in at the end of lap 43, one farther than I expected.

I can only assume my opponent got stuck behind the '02 Z Ver. ST, because I'm able to keep expanding the gap up over 50 seconds again. It's not until lap 48 that it starts to drop, and pretty quickly. By the time I head for the pits on lap 50 it is only :45.

Another good stint, had a 1:18 on my tenth lap and stayed there, but only one 1:19 on lap 49. My in-lap was similar but I made a mistake in the final esses that probably cost me another second. Worst tire is at 40-45%. Two liters of fuel offered, and I'll take them. Experience has shown that I tend to be close but slightly slower than the '08 Z in this ultimate stint. So this could get hairy. I do however have an extra lap or two less to run on these tires and fuel.

Final Stint:
Exiting the pits there are two lapped cars in front of me, the first gives way into the tunnels right after I see the gap to second is 11 seconds, right about where I expected. The G35 holds me up in the second tunnel so I can't gain in the second sector and it drops to 9.6 seconds at the line. Hopefully he'll have a little trouble with the traffic too. He does and the gap stabilizes at right about 10 seconds.

With 4 laps left to run he's been gaining on me, albeit slowly. It is now 7.5 seconds between us, and the only place I'm gaining is in the old reliable second sector. But with plenty of tires left I'm confident I can hold him off.

My last 10 laps are not my best but they are good enough(no :20s at least). He drops back a bit and then starts gaining again but runs out of laps. 2:19:46.813 beats 2:19:52.879. 6.066 seconds is the margin of victory.

Results:
*Supra SZ-R '97 ------------ 2:19:46.813 ------- FL 2:15.780(no tow) - 3 Stops 17/35/50
Fairlady Z '08 -------------- +6.066 ------------ FL 2:14.642 ---------- 2 stops 21/43
Fairlady Z ST '02 ----------- +?? lead lap ------- FL 2:16.592
350Z GT4 Ltd. '05 ---------- +?? lead lap ------- FL 2:16.963
Legacy B4 2.0 GT Spec B '03 +?? lead lap -------- FL 2:17.573
Sylvia Spec R Aero '02 ------ +?? lead lap ------- FL 2:17.009
Impreza Sedan WRX STI '94-- +?? lead lap ------- FL who really cares?
Skyline GTR V-Spec '95 ----- +?? lead lap
Z 300ZX Ver. S '98 ---------- +1 lap
Soarer 430 SCV '01 --------- +1 lap
G35 Coupe '06 -------------- +2 laps
Lancer Evo GSR '92 --------- +2 laps

Positions 4/5/6/7/8 were all nose-to-tail nearly a lap down, and I don't actually know who finished where among them as they kept swapping places and the replay didn't wait for them, or even for the '02 Z which was 1:15 or so behind with a lap to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've never set up brakes this way on a car before, but I was running 3/5 brake pressure, then dropping the front only, to 2 after 5 or 6 laps, to 1 after 4 or 5 more, and even to 0 at the end of the stint. After my first stint I also turned the rear up to 6, and dropped that to 5 when I lowered the fronts the first time. I was even occasionally using the handbrake a little bit on some of the longer right-handers to take some of the load off the front tires. It seemed to work out ok for balance and tire wear.

It turned out that this time I had my best race and he had one of his worst. A very clean run for me with consistent lap times and no significant mistakes - I even only hit the wall once, exiting the second tunnel, and not very hard at all. But it was still a bit of a nailbiter, knowing that one mistake would hand it over to him right up to the end. If he had pitted on lap 42 instead of 43 it may well have changed the outcome of the race.

In his fastest run he still would have beat me with a 2:19:25 or so. He was even 2 tenths faster the first time I raced him than I was today. The only "cheating" I did was taking advantage of the AI's parking tendencies to expediate passing the irrelevant cars. I will thus gladly accept this trophy, and I think I shall hard-mount it in the trunk(where else?) of this car as a permanent 2kg rear ballast.

Next time I think I'll try something tuned to my liking, now that this monkey is off my back.

Last edited:
Very, very good. You love to suffer for your art, don't you. ;) Must get busy on this myself soon.

Very, very good. You love to suffer for your art, don't you. ;) Must get busy on this myself soon.

So it does seem... I keep saying I'll stop doing things like that, then I do it again. :)

2 hours per standard A-Spec/Seasonal race is about the average to get your first win, right?

For the time being, I've pulled the plug on my RX-8 Type E. She's an easy driver, but I don't think there's any fixing her terminal understeer with attendant accelerated wear on the left front tire. The 4WD Ford RS200 I used in this race also wears its left front. I had the torque split set at 40/60, so there may be hope for shifting some of the wear onto the rears, which were remarkably unworn. The car was used with worn oil, minimum power and maximum effective ballast, so not much more is to be had from this car.

Car: Ford RS200 '84
386 PP

187 hp
1375 kg
Sports Soft throughout...Pits Lap 15, 30, 45
PL: 85%
Top Speed Setting: 140 mph; actual speed 120/121 mph
All aids off. ABS 1. G27 wheel.

Race Stats:
Total time: 2:20:01.983
FL: 2:16.701 (Lap 35)
MoV: ~33 sec over Impreza STi Ver VI '99, lineup #1

Race Description: (abbreviated; replay saved)
Lap 1: Up to 2rd, all passes clean.
Lap 4: 1st
Lap 15: Pit, drop to 4th. Tire wear ~50% on left front caused degradation in lap times from consistent 17's up to 18's and 19's
Lap 20: Regain lead
Lap 30: Pit, but retain lead
Lap 45: Pit, drop to 2nd behind RX-7
Lap 51: Regain lead over Subaru WRX STi Ver VI '99
Lap 60: Finish with easy half-minute win; no wrecks, spins, or even near-spins.

Conclusion: The 4WD Ford RS200 '84 is classed as a normal car, but really has many characteristics of a racing car. It is very easy to drive - highly recommended!

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Nice run. 👍 Interesting to see the Impreza first of the losers from grid #1 - not seen that before.

Last edited:
For my first RR run I went with the light and nimble Alpine A110, a car I'd never driven before but I could get to around 400PP without any engine mods. I didn't have time to test her so wasn't sure what to expect other than the possibility of a one or two-stopper on SS tyres. Basically, the first time I drove her was the charge to the first corner :scared:, as follows...

Car: Alpine A110 1600S '73
HP: 120
PP: 404
Weight: 715Kg
Mods: See below
Power Level: 85%
Ballast: None as it's 50/50 from stock 👍
Top Speed Setting: 143mph
Tyres: SS
All aids off. ABS 1. DFGT wheel.

Grid #5:
1. Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
2. Subaru Legacy 2.0GT specB '03
3. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '94
4. Nissan Fairlady Z Vers ST Z33 '02
5. Nissan Fairlady Z Z34 '08
6. Mits Lancer Evolution GSR '92
7. Me
8. Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
9. Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT
10. Nissan Skyline GTR Vspec R33 '95
11. Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15 '02
12. Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01

Lap 1: 2:27.xxx: Oof, painfully slow off the line and I drop to 9th by the first corner. Struggle to gradually stay with and nip past the competition purely by out braking them into the slow corners. Back end feels light even though she has a 50/50 balance, probably due to the RR drive and skinny tyres. End lap 3rd -3 secs down to the leading WRX STi.
Lap 2: 2:20.xxx: Still getting used to the handling especially under braking - traction is very good. I take 2nd from the G35 Coupe at the first corner and then the lead from the WRX STi into the first tunnel. +2 secs.
Lap 3: 2:19.xxx: WRX sticks with me. He's fast on the straights but I'm much better through the turns. My max speed is only 123mph on the main straight. +1 sec.
Lap 4: 2:18.xxx: WRX not going anywhere. Same gap.
Lap 5: 2:19.xxx: Can't make a mistake. Same gap.
Lap 6: 2:19.xxx: Arrgh! WRX drafts past me on the straight and I'm 2nd. Retake lead on the exit of turn 1.
Lap 7: 2:19.xxx: I stay ahead. +1 sec.
Lap 8: 2:17.xxx: Better lap as the tyres decide to warm up. Even now it looks good for a one-stopper. WRX still close. +1.5 secs.
Lap 9: 2:18.xxx: Nice and consistent. Nissan Z34 '08 passes the WRX into second. +2 secs.
Lap 10: 2:18.xxx: Z34 matches me - gains on the straight loses out in the turns, particularly in the middle section from the second hairpin to the final tunnel. +2 secs.
Lap 11: 2:18.xxx: Hmmm, Z34 is quicker than the WRX and starts to catch me. Very close on the main straight. +0.5 secs.
Lap 12: 2:19.xxx: Manage to hold him off. Same gap.
Lap 13: 2:18.xxx: Nearly takes me on the straight, Gap across the line is only +0.015 secs!
Lap 14: 2:17.xxx: Good lap and I open a slight gap. +2 secs to the Z34.
Lap 15: 2:18.xxx: Tyres are still great. Z34 matches me. +2 secs.
Lap 16: 2:19.xxx: More of the same. +1.5 sec.
Lap 17: 2:20.xxx: Scrappy lap has the Z34 all over me. +1 sec.
Lap 18: 2:18.xxx: Holding him off. +1 sec.
Lap 19: 2:19.xxx: Hoping he isn't on a one-stopper as well as it's looking only a matter of time now. Seriously holding him up but I get such a good run of the last couple of corners than it's just enough to hold on to 1st. +0.5 sec.
Lap 20: 2:19.xxx: Z34 not as quick this lap - must be tyres so I take note of the lap number for future reference. +1.5 secs.
Lap 21: 2:20.xxx: My tyres are good so I aim for a stop on lap 30. +2 secs.
Lap 22: 2:20.xxx: Pulling away slowly. Big gap from the Z34 in second to third place WRX. +3.5 secs.
Lap 23: 2:19.xxx: 5 seconds ahead as the Z34 pits and comes out in 4th. Liking that. :D
Lap 24: 2:19.xxx: First lap that I've felt any loss of grip - tyres at about 65% front and 70% rear. +33 secs to WRX (probably on a one-stopper as well).
Lap 25: 2:20.xxx: Steady lap and the gap opens to +37 secs (2nd place must be suffering).
Lap 26: 2:21.xxx: Understeer starting to appear. +35 secs.
Lap 27: 2:21.xxx: +32 secs.
Lap 28: 2:49.xxx: PIT IN. OK, the Z34 is up to 2nd now and eating into my lead so I come in two laps early to counter him. New tyres and no fuel. Exit into 2nd, -3.8 secs behind the Z34.
Lap 29: 2:27.xxx: PIT OUT. The Alpine A110 really struggles to get heat into these tyres and the early stability problems I had at the beginning of the race reappear. -4.5 secs.
Lap 30: 2:17.xxx: Having said that I pull a quick one and stabilise the gap. -3 secs.
Lap 31: 2:17.xxx: Good lap and I'm closing in. -1.5 secs.
Lap 32: 2:17.038: Fastest lap and I take the lead into the second hairpin. +1 secs.
Lap 33: 2:17.xxx: Better consistent laps. +2 secs.
Lap 34: 2:17.xxx: Slowly pulling a gap. +3 secs.
Lap 35: 2:17.xxx: Z34 holds me. +3 secs.
Lap 36: 2:18.xxx: Same again. +2 secs
Lap 37: 2:17.xxx: And again. I can't drop him. Any mistake and he'll be all over me. +2 secs.
Lap 38: 2:17.xxx: Best run of the race but he's gained on me. He gets me on the line (-0.153 secs) but, as usual, I retake at the hairpin.
Lap 39: 2:20.xxx: Wheel-to-wheel the entire lap! This is amazing! We both have a slow lap as a consequence. I come out on top. +1.5 secs.
Lap 40: 2:17.xxx: Ha, another quick one. +2.5 secs.
Lap 41: 2:18.xxx: The Z34's tyres (as predicted) are starting to go. +4 secs.
Lap 42: 2:18.xxx: Lead up to +7 secs as the Z34 pits for the last time. Unfortunately for me he exits still in 2nd place. Z33 '02 now 3rd.
Lap 43: 2:18.xxx: The race to the end starts here. +42 secs.
Lap 44: 2:19.xxx: Z34 cuts my lead by 2 seconds. No panic yet as he's got to take over 2 secs a lap to catch me. Sitting pretty at the moment.
Lap 45: 2:18.xxx: Err... OK, that was 3 seconds. As usual the rabbit/lead car is on fire in the final stint. Lead now +37 secs.
Lap 46: 2:19.xxx: Now it's +35 secs. Don't panic!
Lap 47: 2:19.xxx: Need better lap times urgently. +34 secs.
Lap 48: 2:20.xxx: That's not good enough. +32 secs. Gulp!
Lap 49: 2:18.xxx: Still gaining. +30 secs.
Lap 50: 2:19.xxx: Scrappy lap. Ten laps to go and the gap is only +27 secs and dropping. I have to hope back markers mess him up or his tyres go. Quick calculation tells me that won't happen, plus he's clearing any traffic easily. :(
Lap 51: 2:19.xxx: Oof! Another 3 second gain - so he's running consistent 2:16.xxx's which he wasn't doing earlier. +24 secs.
Lap 52: 2:20.xxx: Same. +22 secs.
Lap 53: 2:20.xxx: And again. +19 secs.
Lap 54: 2:19.xxx: Understeer starting but I might still be able to hold him off. +17 secs.
Lap 55: 2:20.xxx: +14 secs.
Lap 56: 2:20.xxx: Still leading means I'm in the driving seat - I need positive thoughts like that right now! +11 secs.
Lap 57: 2:21.xxx: Tyres complaining badly - down to about 40% front and 50% rear. Gap is visible now. +8 secs.
Lap 58: 2:22.xxx: Arrgh! Sideways through the double left-hander before the first tunnel - bright red tyres. Compose myself and concentrate on finishing the lap clean. +4 secs. Yikes!
Lap 59: 2:23.xxx: Concentrating more on keeping the Z34 behind me than on a fast lap. Blocked him on the straight to start the final lap in the lead. +0.5 secs.
Lap 60: 2:24.xxx: Relatively easy to keep him behind me through the lap but I just haven't got the traction out of the last few corners to maintain a good 2 seconds gap to stop him drafting me on the straight. He exits the final turn just far enough back to get good momentum (if he's too close he has to back off) and has a go up the inside. I counter it and he swings to the outside. Nothing I can do now but keep my foot in and hope. He starts to come past me as we cross the line with less than one car length in it! YAY!!!! 👍 ... phew...

Finishing time was 2:19:57.140 with a winning margin of 0.088 secs over the second place Nissan Fairlady Z Z34 '08. 3rd place was the Nissan Fairlady Z Vers ST Z33 '02. And a gap that small looks like this:

Fastest lap: 2:17.038 on lap 32.

Car stats at the end were: 139BHP(!) / 420PP.

Conclusion:
Holy Moly! That was waaaay too close for my liking. I really thought that with 17 laps to go and a gap of 42 seconds that I could cruise to the end. That Z34 was having none of it and once again it shows how much quicker the leading AI become in the last stint of the race. I've also observed this is the Nurb 4hr endurance.

The little Alpine was a great drive once I'd got used to the light rear end, especially under braking. But for a 70's chassis she really grips well and is very easy on the tyres. I would have liked a little more power as I was a bit of a sitting duck on anything straight but, considering her age and skinny tyres, she was a really fun drive that I'd recommend.

Just a general note on fueling during endurance races. It would be quite nice to choose the level of fuel you start on as this car only used just over half a tank and therefore didn't really benefit from a lighter load. It would be nice to experiment with lighter loads at the start to jump the opposition and play with strategy.

Anyway, now it's onto a 4WD...

@GTsail290: Is RR a new category now? ;)

Last edited:
Nice run. 👍 Interesting to see the Impreza first of the losers from grid #1 - not seen that before.

Thanks!
I too was surprised by the relatively poor performance of the RX-7. Is it possible there's a way to alter the physics or disposition of what is normally the quickest AI? :crazy:
Maybe, but more investigation is needed. :confused:

For my first RR run I went with the light and nimble Alpine A110, a car I'd never driven before but I could get to around 400PP without any engine mods. I didn't have time to test her so wasn't sure what to expect other than the possibility of a one or two-stopper on SS tyres. Basically, the first time I drove her was the charge to the first corner :scared:, as follows...

Anyway, now it's onto a 4WD...

That approach took awesome nerve and confidence on your part, axletramp. :bowdown:
For my own part, I never start a race until I've exhaustively prepared and tested in a belt-and-suspenders kind of approach that Roger Penske would approve of. Once I start working with a car, I usually stick with it for several races until I've extracted pretty much the maximum out of it.

IIRC, the Alpine A110 won its class at LeMans for years due to its efficiency in aerodynamics, tires and fuel. It strikes me that the car could be tuned for even lower PP, and possibly to better heat its rear tires at the opening of the stint. Its astonishing how you were able to get 30 laps out of SS tires. Might this be a good car to try for N4? Anyway, well done. 👍

Respectfully,
Steve

Thanks, it was fun. As you mentioned the main problem was actually getting the tyres to warm up when new. They'd stay dark blue for a good 3 or 4 laps and during that time the back end would be quite lively. Once everything had warmed up though it all balanced itself out and was nice and predictable. I normally would do some testing but I just didn't have time last night so I had to put my faith in a set up I found online (can't remember where) and go for it. I think the light weight and 50/50 weight balance gave me a little confidence at least.

A sub-400PP run? Possibly as I think I could knock a bit of time off in the first stint now over this run. I would have to use ballast now as she's still running-in and the PP and BHP levels are on the rise.

She'd definitely need more power for the N4 as that 123mph top speed would really be a problem there. I am tempted though as I think it'll be a blast. :D

Alpine A110 1600S '73
PPV: 404

Finishing time was 2:19:57.140 with a winning margin of 0.088 secs over the second place Nissan Fairlady Z Z34 '08. 3rd place was the Nissan Fairlady Z Vers ST Z33 '02. And a gap that small looks like this:

@GTsail290: Is RR a new category now? ;)

Yes! Time for a new category!

I think I will add a "stock" category as well.

Great run axletramp with the Alpine!

GTsail

Wow, nice run axletramp! Nothing gets the blood pumping like a razor-close finish after a few hours of racing.

And here I thought I was lucky to get the '08 Z to run a :52!

I tend to believe that most of the "fast-finishing AI" issue is really down to traffic. Most cars don't seem to need much fuel for the GV300, so I don't think that affects them as much as in other races. And of course the bots SHOULD be using even less fuel than we do based on the way they drive - especially if it's true that RPM has no effect on mileage.

However, they are terrible at passing one another. That field in particular is a killer with one of the slowest cars(in the corners) in first, then several slightly faster cars, then the rabbit. The '08 Z is also among the first to pit, so if he gets held up he drops way down the order again. Usually he wasn't getting clear until his second batch of tires were going away. So he only gets one "pure" stint. He can still run :14s early in the race, but rarely gets the chance.

Last edited:
Wow, nice run axletramp! Nothing gets the blood pumping like a razor-close finish after a few hours of racing.

Indeed, but I really should stop making it that close, it's no good for my heart! :lol: What I need next is a nice one and half minute winning margin just for a break...

Yep, you could be right about the traffic as it took the Z34 9 laps to get up to second and then, although I was staying in front, he spent the next 14-odd laps held up behind me. It's fair to say that had I not got past him early after my pit stop he may well have been long gone in clean air.

Indeed, but I really should stop making it that close, it's no good for my heart! :lol: What I need next is a nice one and half minute winning margin just for a break...

Yep, you could be right about the traffic as it took the Z34 9 laps to get up to second and then, although I was staying in front, he spent the next 14-odd laps held up behind me. It's fair to say that had I not got past him early after my pit stop he may well have been long gone in clean air.

That's right, you were the traffic some of that time. :lol: But seriously, you holding him up would of course keep him closer to them in his second stint. I had hoped to do something similar but with a three-stop race I still needed a bit of help from the others. The time I did win it he never caught me in the first stint so they did it all for me. I just focused on pushing while staying clean.

I decided to try another Mazda, so I jump in a Mazda RX-7 Type RS-R FD '97, and have my pit crew give it the works!

After a bit of wrenching, my RX-7 has the following specs:

Horsepower: 218
Weight: 1360 (80kg of ballast)
PP value: 413
Tires: SH (used throughout the race)
P.Limiter: 88.5%
No skid

Sitting on the Grand Valley grid are the following:

1) Subaru Impreza Coupe WRX type R STI '99
2) Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
3) Mits Lancer EVO IV GSR '96
4) Mits Lancer EVO IX GSR '05
5) Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Ver. VI '99
6) Nissan 300ZX 2by2 Z32 '98
7) GTsail in the Mazda RX-7
8) Nissan Skyline GTR R32 '89
9) Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00
10) Nissan Stagea 25t RS FOUR S '98
11) Subaru Impreza Coupe 22B-STI '98
12) Mits Lancer EVO X GSR PP '07

Taking no prisoners, by the end of lap # 1, I'm in 2nd place, 6 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R (who is likely to be my only competition).

At the end of lap # 5, I'm still in 2nd place, still about 6 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R after a lap record 2.16.982.

At the end of lap # 10, I'm 8.9 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R.

At the end of lap # 15, I'm 13.4 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R.

I'm about 12.5 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R when I pit at the end of lap # 20 for another set of SH tires.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 21, I see that I've fallen 41.7 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R, and see that I'm also behind the 2nd place Impreza Sedan WRX Ver. VI '99 and the 3rd place Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00, who both passed me while I was in the pits.

On lap # 23, I draft past the 3rd place Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00, and pass the 2nd place Impreza Sedan WRX Ver. VI '99 going across the bridge.

I set a new lap record of 2.16.601 on lap # 26.

On lap # 28 I let the back-end of my Mazda get away as I'm making the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel, and I spin out and smack the left-side tunnel wall. I lose about 7 seconds before getting under-way again. Lap # 28 took 2.25.717, so I fall to 19 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R by the end of the lap.

On lap # 29, I set a new record of 2.16.570 in an effort to re-gain contact with the race leader.

At the end of lap # 30, I see that I'm only 8 seconds behind the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R.

On lap # 32, I catch and pass the race leading Impreza Coupe WRX type R going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel. The Impreza WRX type R pits at the end of lap # 32 so I get to open up a nice lead.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 33, I see that my lead has increased to 44 seconds over the Impreza WRX type R.

At the end of lap # 35, I still have a 35 second lead over the Impreza WRX type R.

I pit at the end of lap # 40 with a 32 second lead over the Impreza WRX type R.

I get released from the pits just in front of the 2nd place Impreza WRX type R. At the first checkpoint on lap # 41, I see that I have a 0.456 lead over the 2nd place Impreza WRX type R. The Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00 is in 3rd place about 5 seconds further back.

The Impreza WRX type R drafts past me going into the first hairpin on lap # 42 and dumps me into the sand!! I also get passed by the 3rd place Nissan Skyline GTR R34 before I extracate myself from the beach. At the first checkpoint on lap # 42 I get the bad news that I'm now in 3rd place some 9.5 seconds behind the race leading Impreza WRX type R.

On lap # 47 I pass the 2nd place Nissan Skyline GTR R34 going thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel. At the end of the lap I'm only 3.3 seconds behind the race leading Impreza WRX type R who has been held up by some back-markers.

At the beginning of lap # 50, I draft past the race leading Impreza WRX type R and take over the lead of the race as we brake for the first hairpin.

By the end of lap # 51, I've been able to pull out to a 2 second lead over the 2nd place Impreza WRX type R.

By the end of lap # 55, my lead has grown to 11 seconds over the Impreza WRX type (who seemingly has decided to accept 2nd place).

After 60 laps and 2 hours, 19minutes and 31.238 seconds I win the race and another trophy!

Finish order:
-------------
1) me
2) Impreza WRX type R ---- 22.315 secs back -- BL 2.15.636
3) Impreza WRX VI '99 ---- 37.638 secs back -- BL 2.15.836
4) Skyline GTR R34 '00 --- 39.155 secs back -- BL 2.14.999
5) Lancer EVO X GSR ------ 1.54.927 back ----- BL 2.17.010
6) Impreza Coupe 22B-STI --- 2.00.482 back --- BL 2.16.374
7) Lancer EVO IX GSR ----- 1 lap down
8) Lancer EVO IV '96 ----- 1 lap down
9) Nissan 300ZX 2by2 ----- 1 lap down
10) Skyline GTR R32 '89 -- 1 lap down
11) Nissan Stagea 25t ---- 2 laps down
12) Infiniti G35 coupe --- 2 laps down

Post race notes:
I'm not sure what happened to the Impreza WRX type R over the last six or seven laps. He just faded badly at the end. I was only running 2.17.xxx laps, then 2.18.xxx laps, and then 2.19.xxx laps at the end, so it wasn't my fast times that gave me the margin at the end. Of course, I really blew it at the beginning of lap # 42. I was door-to-door with the Impreza, and I shouldn't have let him spin me out. I had to push hard to re-catch him, but I was helped by a slew of back-markers during these laps. Another thing that I noticed from my first spin-out (all on my own) on lap # 28, was that I left a pair of white tire marks on the track in the tunnel that just stayed there throughout the rest of the race, just reminding me of my mistake every lap as I went past!!

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Good run and nice recovery. That WRX was very forgiving at the end, I usually get hounded to the finishing line. :indiff:

edit: Spent a couple of hours yesterday having a go with the Integrale Evo at about 410-420PP. I now have complete sympathy for Sureboss with this one. With some agressive suspension setups I can manage to get it to 15 laps on SMs but the pace isn't good enough when you need it. I must have tried 3 or 4 setups plus my own intuition, but the understeer is monstrous. I'm not going to give up on it and I'm not going to just throw more power/PP at it either, but it was getting late so I decided to change cars and ran another 80's designed 4WD whose report I'll post later today (saturday). :)

Last edited:
I were inspired by your attempts on this endurance race so I decided to do a race myself. I wanted a car
which were completely stock and that was capable of doing low 2:17 lap times with almost full tank.

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR '05
449 PP

290 hp
1410 kg
Comfort Soft throughout...Pits Lap 25, 49

No tuning, Pure stock.

Race Stats:
Total time: 2:19:16.318
FL: 2:15.812 (Lap 54)
MoV: ~38 sec over Mazda RX-7 Type RS FD '98 ...Fastest Lap: 2:14.832
MoV to 3rd: ~1:40 ... Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Ver. VI ...Fastest Lap: 2:15.837

Lineup #1:
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT
Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15 '02
Mazda RX-7 Type RS '98
Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GTB '96
Nissan 300ZX 2seater Z32 '98
Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT '03
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 '98
Toyota Supra RZ '97
Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Ver. VI
Mits GTO Twin Turbo MR '95

Race Description: (abbreviated)
Lap 1: 2nd
Lap 3: 1st
Lap 25: Pit, drop to 2nd. Tire wear almost to ~40% on the fronts and ~88% for the rear.
Lap 29: Regain lead
Lap 49: Pit, drop to 2nd
Lap 55: Regain lead

The race was quite fun even if I had hoped for a closer race.
Next race I will aim for the same lineup and aim for high 2:17 with a different car :)

Last edited:
I were inspired by your attempts on this endurance race so I decided to do a race myself. I wanted a car
which were completely stock and that was capable of doing low 2:17 lap times with almost full tank.

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR '05
445 PP

290 hp
1410 kg
Comfort Soft throughout...Pits Lap 25, 49

No tuning, Pure stock.

The race was quite fun even if I had hoped for a closer race.
Next race I will aim for the same lineup and aim for high 2:17 with a different car :)

Welcome, and thank you for an excellent report, Popgumman. That is an interesting and admirable strategy you used, with the Comfort Soft tires. It's great to have new ways to outsmart the AI. We look forward to your next contribution! 👍

Respectfully,
Steve

After my failed test with the Integrale I decided to go with the lowliest of the 4WD Celicas, the ST165, for my next run. Whilst looking for decent set up I came across one on GTvault for GT4 by a certain 'Dotini2001' posted in 2009. :D So with a few of my own adjustments I jumped straight in and the first thing I notice is how sharp this handles compared to the Lancia.

Car: Toyota Celica 2000GT-FOUR (ST165) '86
HP: 208
PP: 418
Weight: 1204Kg
Mods: Vast - See below
Power Level: 85%
Top Speed Setting: 143mph
Tyres: SM

The above image lists the tyres as SS rather than the SMs I actually used.

Grid:
1. Lancer Evolution III GSR '95
2. Lancer Evolution GSR '92
3. RX-7 Type RS (FD) '98
4. IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi '02
5. IMPREZA Coupe WRX typeR STi
6. Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT 2seater
7. Me
8. 300ZX 2by2 (Z32) '98
9. LEGACY B4 Blitzen '00
10. Lancer Evolution IX GSR '05
11. Lancer Evolution VIII GSR '03
12. IMPREZA Coupe 22B-STi Version '98

A quick look at that field tells me the RX-7 is going to be the main opposite with the two Imprezas (excluding the 22B) also in the running.

Lap 1: 2:22.xxx - Decent start but I drop to ninth and spend the rest of the lap picking off the Fairlady's and Legacy to end the lap -3 secs down in 5th.
Lap 2: 2:16.xxx - Good lap where I go wheel-to-wheel (door-to-door?) in a few battles and end up in 1st place from the STi '02 by +1 sec.
Laps 3-6: Consistent 2:16.xxx's but I can't drop the two Imprezas and the RX-7. STi typeR now 2nd. End each lap less than a second ahead hitting 132mph on the main straight.
Lap 7: 2:17.xxx - Finally the STi typeR drafts me on the main straight but I retake the lead into the first corner. RX-7 now 3rd. A gap has opened from the tightly packed leading quartet to 5th place.
Lap 8: 2:16.xxx - Steady lap. +1 sec.
Lap 9: 2:17.xxx - Same again. +1 sec.
Lap 10: 2:19.xxx - A couple of missed apexes in this lap and once again the STi typeR drafts me on the straight but I retake at the first corner.
Lap 11: 2:18.xxx - First indication of tyre wear so I'm not going to make it to lap 20. Damn! Going to have to come out fighting after my first stop and hope the leaders have a bad run in to their pit stops. I'm predicting the Imprezas and RX-7 will pit between laps 22 and 28.
Lap 12: 2:18.xxx - Stay ahead, but it's tight. +0.5 secs from the STi typeR.
Lap 13: 2:19.xxx - Same again.
Lap 14: 2:18.xxx - And again - these guy's are keeping me honest!
Lap 15: 2:42.xxx - PIT IN: I dive in for new tyres and no fuel. Fronts 40%, rears 70%. The leaders sail through to carry on.
Lap 16: 2:26.xxx - PIT OUT: I exit into a comfortable and lonely 4th due to the leaders pulling a gap to 5th. -30 secs down which I cut to -28 secs half way around.
Lap 17: 2:16.xxx - Time to get my head down and cut that deficit. I'm hoping the leader's tyres will be entering their wear phase. -26 secs. RX-7 takes the lead.
Lap 18: 2:15.xxx - Good lap in clear air. -24 secs down so I'm clearly running faster on new rubber and the lead RX-7 is only running in the 2:17.xxx/2:18.xxx's
Lap 19: 2:16.xxx - Take a whopping 4 secs out of the RX-7. -20 secs.
Lap 20: 2:16.xxx - And again. :D -16 secs.
Lap 21: 2:16.xxx - Hoping that no-one in front pits as I need to catch them to make a 3-stopper work. -13 secs.
Lap 22: 2:17.xxx - More of the same with no mistakes. -10 secs.
Lap 23: 2:17.xxx - Celica feels good and I'm able to keep consistent. -7 secs.
Lap 24: 2:19.xxx - Now I can see them ahead all together squabbling amongst themselves. In the excitement I miss my braking point at the first corner and clip the gravel. Still gained on them though, -5 secs.
Lap 25: 2:18.xxx - I catch and pass the STi '02 to go third. 1st to 3rd (me) run across the line nose-to-tail. -0.5 secs.
Lap 26: 2:18.xxx - Feeling my tyres again but I pull away. Leaders running in the 2:20.xxx's with some spectacular drifting on the approach to the first tunnel. :lol: I take the STi typeR into the first tunnel and the RX-7 through the final esses. +2 secs.
Lap 27: 2:17.xxx - Solid lap. +4 secs.
Lap 28: 2:19.xxx - RX-7 and STi typeR pit but the STi '02 carries on, now in 2nd - probably on a one-stopper. +8 secs. RX-7 and Impreza come out in 5th and 6th respectively.
Lap 29: 2:18.xxx - Solid lap but my tyres are fading. +12 secs to the STi '02.
Lap 30: 2:43.xxx - PIT IN: Not my best lap but I've built a decent gap to the RX-7 (I don't feel I'm racing the one-stopping STi '02). New tyres and no fuel as I've used the smallest amount less than half a tank. If I'm careful I should be able to finish this without needing any fuel. -3 secs to the STi '02.
Lap 31: 2:25.xxx - PIT OUT: I exit into 2nd behind the Impreza. -12 secs to STi '02 and +7 secs to the RX-7 in 3rd.
Lap 32: 2:15.124 - Fastest lap of the race and the STi '02 finally pits. +7 secs to the RX-7 who's now on new rubber and matching me.
Laps 33-38: 2:16.xxx's - Spend these laps just keeping it clean and the RX-7 slowly closes the gap from 7 secs to 6.
Laps 39-41: 2:17.xxx's to 2:18.xxx's - The tide turns as I gradually open the gap to +9.5 secs.
Laps 42-44: 2:18.xxx's to 2:19.xxx's - As my tyres enter their final phase the tide turns again and the RX-7 closes to +7 secs.
Lap 45: 2:40.xxx - PIT IN: I pit +5.5 secs in the lead. RX-7 and STi typeR go through. No fuel as I have just over 1/4 tank left.
Lap 46: 2:26.xxx - PIT OUT: 3rd place -20 secs down.
Lap 47: 2:15.xxx - Good lap. -16 secs
Lap 48: 2:15.xxx - And another. :) -12 secs.
Lap 49: 2:17.xxx - Followed by a dodgy one. :indiff: Run very wide at turn 1 again and lose a couple of seconds.
Lap 50: 2:16.xxx - Better again and the gap is down to -7 secs.
Lap 51: 2:16.xxx - Solid lap sees me closing on the 2nd place STi typeR. -4.5 secs.
Lap 52: 2:16.xxx - Pass the STi typeR into the second hairpin and go 2nd. -3 secs.
Lap 53: 2:18.xxx - Catch the RX-7 who puts up some dogged resistance until I out drag him through the first tunnel and pull a slight gap. +2.5 secs.
Lap 54: 2:18.xxx - Now in the lead with the knowledge that the RX-7 and STi typeR will pit again. No sign of the STI '02 so this should be a cruise to the line.
Lap 55: 2:18.xxx - Clean lap. +8 secs.
Lap 56: 2:20.xxx - Right on cue the RX-7 and STi typeR pit. Oddly the RX-7 exits into 4th behind the STI typeR and now 2nd place one-stopping STi '02. +12.5 secs.
Lap 57: 2:19.xxx - Just cruising now.
Lap 58: 2:19.xxx - Still cruising - which I'm not used to at this stage usually. :lol: +17 secs.
Lap 59: 2:20.xxx - RX-7 jumps both Imprezas to go 2nd. They must all be having a bad time on their tyres as my lead goes up to +28 secs.
Lap 60: 2:18.xxx - To break up my cruise to the line I go for it on the last lap and my fuel gauge shows I'm on vapours. Doesn't matter, I cross the line for another win. :D

Finishing time was 2:19:25.126 with a winning margin of 30.5 secs over the second place RX-7. 3rd place was the WRX STi '02 and 4th was the WRX STi typeR.

Fastest lap: 2:15.124 on lap 32.

Conclusion:
All a bit easy in the end and it never really look anything other than a win from my second pit stop. All I had to do was keep consistent with no mistakes - simple! ;) The Celica had good turn in and acceptable understeer for a 4WD so that made my job a whole lot easier.

And next? Well I think there's a certain NSX Type-R which needs to be taught a lesson. Might not break any PP records in doing it though...

Last edited:
Headline: I found this lineup with the Evo VIII as the fastest car, and foolishly thought it would be an easy race. In the end, I had to do a total time of 2:20:17.xxx, not much different from several other lineups. So this particular grid is not the Holy Grail of snail racing at the Grand Valley 300km.

Car: Mazda MX-5 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
(13,877 miles)
379 PP
159 hp
1132 kg
Sports Soft throughout...Pits Lap 20, 40
PL: 85%
Top Speed Setting: 137 mph; actual speed 119 mph
All aids off. ABS 1. G27 wheel.

Race Stats:
Total time: 2:20:17.296
FL: 2:17.093 (Lap 35)
MoV: 12.551 sec over Lancer Evo VIII GSR '03 (Fastest Lap 2:16.380, Pits once)

Lineup:
#8 After console reset and entry/exit of LM24
Silvia 240RS (S110) '83
Accord Coupe EX '03
350Z Gran Turismo Ltd (Z33) '05
Lancer Evo VIII GSR '03
Supra 3.0 GT Turbo A '88
Soarer 430 SCV '01
Legacy B4 2.0 GT specB '03
Mazdaspeed Atenza '05
Skyline GT-R Vspec II (R32) '94
Lancer Evo GSR '92

Race Description: (abbreviated; replay saved)
Lap 1: 2nd
Lap 2: 1st
Lap 20: Pit, drop to 2nd. Tire wear to >50% on left front caused degradation in lap times from consistent 17's and 18's up to '19's and 20's.
Lap 28: Regain lead
Lap 40: Pit, but retain lead
Lap 60: Finish, 12 seconds to the good.

Conclusion: This MX-5 is easy to drive, but has a tendency to burn up the front tires if you're pushing too hard. It might be improved with some more tuning, so I'll continue with it for a time.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
For a change of pace from run's against the slow cars, I decided to try another Concept against a "rabbit". So checking my garage, I decided upon an interesting looking Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02 that needed some lap time.

After no wrenching and no parts (cheap ride, I must say), I take my Solstice to the track with the following stock specs:

Horsepower: 239
Weight: 1318
PP value: 434
Tires: SM (used throughout the race)
No skid

Against alternative lineup # 2
-------------------------------
1) Mazda RX-7 Type RS '98
2) Mits GTO Twin Turbo MR '98
3) Impreza Coupe WRX type R STI '99
4) Nissan Fairlady Z Version S '07
5) MazdaSpeed Atenza '05
6) Nissan Skyline GTR Vspec II '94
7) GTsail in the Solstice Coupe
8) Subaru Legacy B4 2.0GT specB '03
9) Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01
10) Mazda RX-8 Type S '07
11) Mazda efini RX-7 Type RZ '96
12) Honda NSX '01

After one lap I'm in 4th place, 5.5 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7 Type RS '98.

On lap # 5, I catch and pass the 1st place Mazda RX-7 Type RS going across the bridge. We both have about a 15 second lead over the 3rd place GTO Twin Turbo '98 who is holding up the entire field. The NSX '01 rabbit has only been able to reach 7th place in the race at this point.

At the end of lap # 10, I have pulled out a 8 second lead over the 2nd place Mazda RX-7 Type RS after a nice 2.15.062 lap. The NSX '01 is now in 4th place.

At the end of lap # 15, I have a 14 second lead over the 2nd place Mazda RX-7 Type RS after a 2.16.517 lap. The NSX '01 is now in 3rd place.

After 20 laps, I pit for another set of SM tires with a 21 second lead over the Mazda RX-7 Type RS. The 2nd place Mazda RX-7 Type RS drives past while I'm in the pits for tires, so when I re-enter the track I've fallen back to 2nd place in the race.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 21, I see that I have fallen 7 seconds behind the race leading Mazda RX-7 Type RS. The 3rd place NSX '01 pits at the end of lap # 21 and falls back to 6th place in the race. The efini RX-7 Type RZ '96 also pits on lap # 21 and he falls back to 7th place.

On lap # 22 I catch and pass the race leading Mazda RX-7 Type RS.

The 2nd place Mazda RX-7 Type RS pits at the end of lap # 28 which allows the Honda NSX '01 to take over 2nd place in the race.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 29, I see that I have a 42 second lead over the NSX '01.

I pit at the end of lap # 40 with a 39 second lead over the Honda NSX '01.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 41, I see that my lead over the NSX '01 has shrunk to 10 seconds.

On lap # 43, using my new tires to their max, I set a new lap reconrd of 2.14.051 and stretch out my lead to 19 seconds over the Honda NSX '01.

The 2nd place Honda NSX '01 pits for a second time at the end of lap # 44.

As I begin lap # 46, I get the news that I have a 56 second lead over the 2nd place NSX '01.

At the end of lap # 55, I pass the MazdaSpeed Atenza and see that my lead over the 2nd place NSX '01 has fallen to 45 seconds.

At the end of lap # 57, I see that I only have a 40 second lead over the NSX '01 who is reeling me in a few seconds each lap.

After 60 laps, and a race time of 2 hours, 17 minutes and 9.810 seconds I take the trophy!

Finishing order:
----------------
1) me in the Pontiac Solstice
2) Honda NSX '01 ------- 35.506 secs back (BL-2.12.840)
3) efini RX-7 Type RZ ---1min,49.725 secs back (BL-2.14.049)
4) RX-7 Type RS '98 ----- 1 lap down (BL-2.15.497)
5) RX-8 Type S ---------- 1 lap down (BL-2.14.631)
6) Impreza WRX type R --- 1 lap down (BL-2.16.117)
7) Fairlady Z '07 ------- 1 lap down (BL-2.15.436)
8) Skyline GTR '94 ------

Post race notes:
The Honda NSX '01 rabbit is very fast, but I'm afraid that the race was too easy because the Honda NSX '01 was held up for so long at the start of the race, plus I was on SM tires. My guess is that the NSX '01 lost at least 35-45 seconds as compared to what he could do if he didn't start at the back of the grid.

The Solstice Coupe Concept drives quite decently as "pure" stock, with my only complaint being that it is geared too low. I would hit the rev limiter in 6th gear at the end of the S/F straight on every lap. The rev limiter was hit at 130mph, and I would then get dropped down to about 125mph at the end of the S/F straight. The low gearing also affected 2nd gear, which was also nearly un-usable. I could only use 2nd gear in the two sharpest turns, and had to get out of it immediately, or I would otherwise hit the rev-limiter in 2nd (which I did quite a number of times). The shift point from 2nd to 3rd was about 50mph, which I never really got used to!

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Nice runs guys. 👍

Hmm, OK. I might have to try a stock run next then. I'm guessing we are allowed to change the tyres?.

Last edited:
....Hmm, OK. I might have to try a stock run next then. I'm guessing we are allowed to change the tyres?.

Yeah..... My thoughts are that since the AI are not on "stock" tires, we don't have to be.

So running "stock" at the Grand Valley just means no upgraded parts, no ballast and no power limiter adjustments. But would allow the use of any tires from comfort hard to sport soft.

Does everyone think that this makes sense for this Endurance race thread?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Yeah..... My thoughts are that since the AI are not on "stock" tires, we don't have to be.

So running "stock" at the Grand Valley just means no upgraded parts, no ballast and no power limiter adjustments. But would allow the use of any tires from comfort hard to sport soft.

Does everyone think that this makes sense for this Endurance race thread?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Yes, that sounds fair to me. And it is a very good thing to have a stock class, since not everybody enjoys or has the time for tuning. But that said, it is unlikely that I will make too many runs on stock equipment, since my personal enjoyment of the game comes in significant measure from the tuning of the cars.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

I think this is fair, although in a way I agree with Dotini in that I prefer not to drive something that handles like a wet mattress. :lol:

I think its fair and I like the idea of having a "stock class". I am one of them who likes to drive cars without tuning. And it might be easier for new drivers to check which cars were running with no tuning than having to scan the pages to look for those cars that didnt use tuning.

I think its fair and I like the idea of having a "stock class". I am one of them who likes to drive cars without tuning. And it might be easier for new drivers to check which cars were running with no tuning than having to scan the pages to look for those cars that didnt use tuning.

Very good point. These sorts of threads are best if almost all of the immediately useful information is on the first page, or linked from there. And so far GTsail290 has been doing a great job of that.

On to why I really came here...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I guess it's my turn again. Sorry, it's another long one:

Not sure how well this will go, but it should be interesting. This car lasted forever on its tires in GT4, but clearly can't go as far in GT5. I should be able to one-stop with it at least, but it might need more power. Old cars in general seem to be slow for their PP, but we'll see.

My initial tuning seemed to be working, but something went awry when I first tried the race. My driving seemed not quite up to par, and the car became quite ornery around the middle of the stint, which was a bad combination. The tires lasted fine though. I made some massive changes which helped balance the car online, though I didn't fine-tune them at all. Time to put it to the test.

Lotus Europa Special '71

411 PP / 132HP / 730 kg

No aids. SM tires.

Total time 2:20:55.790 / Fastest Lap 2:17.966

Ran against field #17, looks reasonably tame.

Mits Lancer EVO III GSR '95
Nissan Skyline GTR Vspec R33 '95
Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
Mits Lancer EVO X GSR PP '07
Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '02
Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
* Lotus Europa '71 *
Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
Subaru Legacy B4 2.0GT specB '03
Nissan 300ZX 2by2 Z32 '98
Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
Nissan Silvia spec R Aero S15 '02

START:
The first thing apparent at the start is that my car looks like a toy compared to theirs. My roof is about the height of the trunk lid/bottom of the windows of the other cars, and as I look sideways and watch them streak past me on the start, the door handles are at about eye-level. Actually, first I notice that it takes forever to cycle to grid #17, especially if you find 20 used cars to buy in the process.

Drop to 9th on the start but immediately retake 8th. End the first lap 6th, 4.8 seconds down. I should have 5th, ahead of the WRX, but he apparently couldn't see my tiny car or just decided to drive straight through it going into the final esses. I was lucky to even save it. I probably deserved it since I mis-timed pulling out around him over the bridge and slammed his bumper. If I can get ahead of any car, though I'd like it to be him.

A good 2nd lap lets me take 5th from the WRX entering the tunnels, and 4th from the Evo X exiting them. I almost get by the 350Z but not quite. After 3 laps I've passed the slow Evo III, and 8 seconds behind the leaders I'll not catch in third. I'll probably lose two more spots, but hopefully I can keep them behind me for a while. Now to settle in and set some good laps.

LAP 10:
After an unbroken series of 2:18s I'm very happy about, I'm still in third and holding station about 12 seconds back from the Skyline. There is a massive amount of blue WRX paint on my car though, due to him using every trick in his book to get past me and me using all the ones that aren't from the "very dirty" chapter in mine. It only took him about a lap to catch back up to me after I took third. No matter how far ahead I get he runs me down on the straight. He's passed me several times only to see me retake the spot in turn 2.

The Evo X is right behind him and occasionally creating some breathing space for me. I'm actually very slowly running down the 350z.

LAP 13:
The string of :18s is broken as I catch the 350Z and go around the outside in the third tunnel. He gets by on the straight ending the lap as does the WRX. WRX gets squirrely being too wide in turn 1 and I get back past the 350Z on the outside of turn 2.

LAP 15:
The WRX doesn't have much trouble passing the 350Z and catching back up. He passes me and holds it through turn 2 for the first time, but I get him back through the esses between the hairpins. I'm losing time messing with these guys, been running :20s ever since I caught second, and the lead is 15 seconds to the Skyline now. The Evo X gets past the 350Z a lap or two later.

My new set-up appears to not be causing any tire-wear problems, my rears are still over 80%. The car is absolutely much easier to handle now, but we'll see how it goes over the next 20 laps. At least my main competition is still behind me for now. I drop my brakes a tick.

LAP 21:
Every time the WRX (basically every lap) gets past me it takes a little longer for me to catch him, until on lap 20 I get loose in the turn 4-5 esses and he almost gets away. But I pass him in the final esses, then on lap 21 he gets by and I get him back entering the tunnels. Despite all of our foolishness we've been running 2:20s (:21s the last two) and very slowly gaining on the Skyline who is about to stop. The Evo X is still right behind us and the 350Z is slowly dropping away.

LAP 23:
Well, we were catching the Skyline. Laps 22 and 23 are :24.xxx and :22.xxx respectively with much wild racing going on and his lead grows back to 16 seconds from 13. The Evo X very nearly gets both of us, but the WRX wins out. I get back into third quickly but the WRX pounced on the chance to build a gap and despite getting close, I can't overtake him before the straight. Now I just have to hope that my tires hold up better than his.

LAP 27:
L. Wang in the Skyline pits several laps later than I expected, but his lead had dropped under 5 seconds before he did. My laptimes have improved a little now that I'm not fighting for every inch of track, but my tires are starting to wear down now - around 60% maybe. My nemesis F. Wagner in the WRX is pulling away, but only by a few yards per lap at most. V. Sokolov in the EVO X hasn't been able to keep up since the battle died down.

I drop my brake pressures a second time, to 4-1.

LAP 30:
Half-way there! On lap 29 I prove that high :20s are still possible instead of the :21s and low :22s I've been running, but on lap 30 I prove that they're hard to come by. The WRX's tires started to drop off and I had reeled him in to under 2 seconds from the 4.5 which was the highest I saw. But he pits at the end of lap 30, a couple laps sooner than I anticipated. Now I have a decision to make as he will surely be much faster than he has been for the entire race once he rejoins. My tires are still around 60% but I have no illusion that one-stopping will result in a win. By the way, fuel is no issue with this car. The half-way clock is 1:10:18.

LAP 31:
I decide keeping this battle going might be my best chance, before he can gain ground. The other contenders all pitted behind us, so only the Skyline is in front of the WRX. So I bring it in myself on lap 31. Barely used more than a quarter-tank. The G35 I just lapped on my in-lap pits in the box right behind mine. Another set of Sports Mediums and away we go.

The Skyline passes my battle-scarred Europa while I'm leaving the pits. It appears that Wagner had to take at least some fuel, as I've jumped a couple hundred hards in front of him, which I was hoping to do.

LAP 33:
Well, that's how long my gap over the WRX lasted. The Skyline is still too fast to catch, he's up to 5 seconds in front. So I guess the battle is re-joined.

LAP 40:
It's been going about as expected thus far. I managed to set my only 2:17 of the race thus far, but some :19s as well. I've been smacked around quite a bit more by the WRX, and I'm not feeling too ashamed to be doing some blocking on the straight now. The gap to the Skyline has stabilized around 5-6 seconds, and I expect we'll run him down eventually even if he doesn't pit. I've just got to stay in contact with Wagner's WRX. He got by me pretty fairly in the turn 2 hairpin once, but I got him back the same way in the turn 6 hairpin.

LAP 45:
We have started to reel in the Skyline now. I've been running steady 2:19s, and the gap has come down to about 3.5 seconds. Hopefully we can catch him and the WRX will have more trouble with him than I do. Hopefully I continue not to make any major mistakes. A lapped car just came out in front of me, so that might have me catching a breather for a moment. Tires are about 90%.

LAP 48:
I caught Wang's Skyline halfway through the last lap, and make a clean pass for the lead in the turn 6 hairpin. Wagner is right behind him and there's another lapper right in front of me. These next couple of laps may decide the way the rest of this race plays out.

LAP 50:
I cross the line with a 5.5 second lead as the WRX is still unable to get around the Skyline. But by the time I get through the turn 2 hairpin he has apparently taken 2nd, though my gap grows to 6.3 at the first split. Hopefully we are now getting to the part where his tire degradation means he will not be much faster than me. We shall see, I've begun setting 2:20s lately. My fuel is just barely below half-way now.

LAP 55:
He was coming fast, but has slowed his advance a little. I'm still running 2:20s. The gap was right around 3 seconds, but a small slip up in the first esses brings it to 2.5. It looks like he'll be on me for the last couple of laps. My tires are at about 70%.

LAP 56:
The Skyline pits and relinquishes 3rd to the Evo X.

LAP 59:
I've been running 2:21s since lap 56. It appears that the WRX's tires have reached the cliff, unless the lapped car that caught him was giving him constant trouble. The gap has grown from 2.1 to 4.4 at the line as I receive the 1-to-go signal. The Skyline has retaken the final step on the podium.

LAP 60:
Looking back, the WRX appears to be alone. I drive a slightly conservative lap to make sure I bring it home and then foolishly miss my braking point in the final tunnel causing a brief heart-in-mouth moment. Cross the line with the horn singing in 2 hours 20 minutes 55.790 seconds with a 3.620 gap to second.

Results:

1 - * Europa Special '71 * ----- 2:20:55.790 -------- FL 2:17.966 ----- Pit 31
2 - Impreza WRX STI '02 --------- +3.620 ------------- 2:16.480 ------- 30
3 - Skyline GTR V-Spec R33 '95 --- +38.3 -------------- 2:16.478 ------ 27/56
4 - Lancer Evo X GSR PP '07 ----- +47.2 -------------- 2:15.937 ------- 30
5 - Silvia Spec R Aero '02 ------ +1:01.0 -------------- 2:16.693 ------- ??
6 - 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05 - +1:07 pitting in ------ 2:17.707 ------- 2stop
7 - Legacy B4 2.0GT spec B '03 - +1:37.4 ------------- 2:17.556 ------- ??
8 - 300ZX 2by2 '98 ------------- +1 lap -------------- 2:17.482 ------- 2stop
9 - Accord Coupe EX '03 -------- +1 lap -------------- slow
10- Lancer Evo III GSR '95 ------ +1 lap -------------- slow
11- Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88 ---- +1 lap -------------- slow
12- G35 Coupe '06 -------------- +2 laps ------------- slow

Hell of a race. I'm glad the Skyline put up a good fight for second because I did not want to have to tempt fate in those last 5 laps. I was a little bit rude to the WRX while we were racing but nothing I'd consider unfair when dealing with the AI(and yes, I would consider some tactics unfair). You often do have to treat them a little differently than a human opponent. I didn't weave too much and he got past me dozens of times anyway, but if he ever got away from me early in a stint I think the race was over.

I wasn't going to write so much this time but the race was too intense to not make note of. :lol: Doubled the length of it, of course.

My changes to my setup from my aborted run (which were major, informed by but not copied from Praiano's tune for a much more powerful version) seemed to be a big help, the car was much less twitchy than before. I did get significantly increased oversteer in my second stint as the car lightened, though I only used about 60L of fuel. I'd hate to think how that might have played out with my original setup. Brakes were 6-3 down to 4-1 at the end of the stints.

Very fun little car to drive once the oversteer is dialed out. I debated buying a sports air filter that would have added 3hp and 5pp but did not. Not sure if it would have helped or not. The tires will probably go 40 laps before they get bad - might reach 60 on cords, and the fuel will last for nearly 100 laps. The 5-speed close-ratio transmission was perfect for the top end, and actually not bad all around.

Some mostly random quick pictures since I have nothing better to do today. It really was like this all race long:

Gap on lap 5
gapL5.jpg

Gap on lap 13
gapL13.jpg

Gap on lap 19
gapL19.jpg

Fight for that spot dammit! and the Evo X always stalking, lap 21
fightforitL21.jpg

The Evo X helps him through, and wow that Lotus is tiny, lap 23
evohelpslap23.jpg

Lap 34, here we go again...
hesbackL34.jpg

Oh, I'm having that back, lap 40
takeitbackL40.jpg

Ok, I get it, you're not giving up, lap 46
stillthereL46.jpg

1-2-3, lap 48
123L48.jpg

Did I mention that the Lotus is tiny? lap 59
tiny.jpg

Not the right line to be taking with a 5 second lead on the last lap(I think the smoke shows up ok, if not the sideways movement)
dontdothat.jpg

3.6 seconds at 115mph
36at115.jpg

I probably should have taken the gap pictures in turns 1-2 instead of at the line but oh well.

Well, I wasn't expecting this from my first stock run. I had already decided on the lowest PP S2000 I had in my garage as I'd successfully run a 455PP Spoon S2000 in the Nurb 4HR enduro so was quite confident. So confident in fact that I first tested a 394PP Honda Prelude SiR S Spec '98 (too much understeer, tyre degradation and bad gearing) and a 415PP 'Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evo II '92 (good top speed but slow in the corners and bad rear end grip), neither of which were up to the task. Both were completely stock on SH or SM tyres. So I came back to the S2000 idea and selected the lowest PP model I had which was a Type V (US) '00 with 31k on the clock and no oil change.

Car: Honda S2000 Type V (US) '00
HP: 228
PP: 419
Weight: 1260Kg
Mods: STOCK (none)
Power Level: 100%
Tyres: SS
No oil change / 31,535.6 miles on the clock

Grid:
1. IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi '94
2. IMPREZA WRX STi '07
3. Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT 2seater
4. Lancer Evolution GSR '92
5. LEGACY B4 2.0GT spec.B '03
6. ARISTO V300 '00
7. Me
8. ACCORD Coupe EX '03
9. CELICA GT-FOUR RC (ST185) '91
10. SUPRA RZ '97
11. SKYLINE GT-R V-spec (R33) '95
12. CELICA GT-FOUR (ST205) '98

These are the abbreviated notes as it wasn't the most action packed run and it would have been repetitive, as you'll see...

Lap 1: 2:21.xxx - Quick opening lap and this is one stable car. End lap in 3rd behind the STi '07 and Sti '94. -2.5secs.
Lap 2: 2:15.xxx - Easily catch and pass the two battling Subarus through the two turns into the first tunnel and go first. +0.7 secs.
Lap 3: 2:14.xxx - So stable, so pointy, so quick. This S2000 drives beautifully! +5 secs.
Laps 4-12: Consistent 2:14.xxx/2:15.xxx's - Consistently take around 3 secs a lap out of the two Subarus who have moved clear of the field. End lap 12 +32 secs up.
Laps 13-18: Lap times drop from 2:16.xxx's to 2:17.xxx's as tyres wear, but tbh the car is still feeling great. End lap 18 +47 secs up.
Lap 19: 2:19.xxx - Lap my first two back markers (Lancer Evo '92 and Celica (ST185)) and lose a few seconds just to stay clean.
Lap 20: 2:38.xxx - PIT IN: Fast, fast lap. +1:01 ahead! A new set of SS tyres and no fuel. I would say that I probably could have just about made it to 30 laps on these tyres - definitely 25 - but I wanted more grip and fun. :D
Lap 21: 2:24.xxx - PIT OUT: Exit pit still in the lead +36 secs up.
Lap 22: 2:14.xxx - straight back in the saddle.
Lap 23: 2:13.170 - I decide to see how fast I can get her to go and manage my two fastest laps of the race. Just when I thought that was a fast one...
Lap 24: 2:12.894 - I hit this one. The fastest lap. It takes a lot out of the tyres though so I back off.
Laps 25-30: Consistent 2:14.xxx's/2:15.xxx's. +1:32.
Laps 31-39: Laps uniformly fall from 2:15.xxx's to 2:17.xxx's
Lap 40: 2:39.xxx - PIT IN: New tyres and no fuel. +2:02 and not an opponent in sight. Gaining on the two leaders as they're the only cars I haven't lapped.
Laps 41-43: Consistent 2:14.xxx's/2:15.xxx's.
Lap 44: 2:15.xxx - Catch and lap the two Subarus through the fast section between the two hairpins.
Laps 45-50: Consistent 2:15.xxx's/2:16.xxx's. +2:36.
Laps 51-60: I'm just cruising now and enjoying the ride. Still running 2:16.xxx/2:17.xxx's though. I cross the line and take the easiest win and fastest run of the GVS300 to date.

Finishing time was, wait for it, 2:16:48.127 with a winning margin of 2 minutes 58.556 seconds over the second place WRX STi '07, third place WRX STi '94 and distant fourth place Fairlady Z 300ZX.

Fastest lap: 2:12.894 on lap 32. Car specs at finish: 221BHP / 414PP.

Conclusion:
As I said, I wasn't expecting that, especially from a stock car from the UCD. This was so easy that I kind of regret running SS tyres (although anything less would have meant 1 stop) and not selecting a grid with an NSX, even the Type-R! If I could use ballast I would like to run this below 400PP as she could easily take it. But this was a stock run so 419PP was the lowest I could get in a S2000.

So there you have it peeps, if you want to win this enduro and you can't be bothered to tune your car, jump in a S2000! :D

@Morgoth_666: Epic run, really enjoyed reading that! The fifth pic is hilarious. :lol: Reminded me a little of my Alpine A110 run - Retro Racing FTW!

Last edited:
Back