Real-life photography by SVX: Its been awhile.

• Thread starter SVX
  • 19 comments

SVX

The White Comet
Premium
New Zealand
Wellington
Hello, I have decided to make a gallery of my real-life shots. Most of the pictures will probably small scale cars or model cars, but occasionally I may do something else.

To start off, my current entry into the Model Car Photography competition:

Thanks for looking!

Constructive criticism would be greatly encouraged.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

-First post.
-F50.
-Its been awhile.

Last edited:
I think you've got some good ideas here, but at the moment anyway don't know the neccessary skills to execute them perhaps as well as you'd planned them to be. I see that you've removed the time/date stamp which definitely a good start and helped ot improve your shots. One thing I'd try to think about more is composition, if you start with the basic rule of thirds then this should help you to compose images more effectively (although the rule of thirds can be more difficult to implement with multi-car shots) here's a link to a site which may prove to be useful in terms of allowing you to understand composition and the rule of thirds further - http://www.digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

The next thing I would say to try and consider more is lighting, I don't know what kind of camera you have (I assume a point and shoot?), but lighting is something you can play around with no matter what the camera is. Some of my first play arounds with lighting were done with my old Fuji Finepix F40fd which was also a basic point and shoot camera. But if you think about how you want the car to appear in your shots in terms of lighting (photography is just painting with light after-all) then it allows you to create interesting lighting situations. I found this website awhile ago and it might be able to help you in terms of ideas for lighting and it has a couple of other helpful tips - http://www.carphototutorials.com/photographing_scale_cars.html

As I said, you've got some nice ideas and seem to have a good range of model cars to choose from. Also, just whilst I think about it, take some time to learn the camera properly. Maybe set up a model car in a certain position, with a particular lighting set-up and then just experiment with various buttons on your camera. As I said earlier I'm assuming this is a point and shoot camera so I would probably suggest using a Macro mode and trying to put it in a near enough manual mode, setting the ISO to the lowest number possible. But just play, and experiment! It's the best way to improve, but give those websites a good read I'm sure they'll help you!

Thank you for the awesome comment!

I think you've got some good ideas here, but at the moment anyway don't know the neccessary skills to execute them perhaps as well as you'd planned them to be. I see that you've removed the time/date stamp which definitely a good start and helped ot improve your shots. One thing I'd try to think about more is composition, if you start with the basic rule of thirds then this should help you to compose images more effectively (although the rule of thirds can be more difficult to implement with multi-car shots) here's a link to a site which may prove to be useful in terms of allowing you to understand composition and the rule of thirds further - http://www.digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

I'll check those links out, thanks for posting them.

The next thing I would say to try and consider more is lighting, I don't know what kind of camera you have (I assume a point and shoot?), but lighting is something you can play around with no matter what the camera is. Some of my first play arounds with lighting were done with my old Fuji Finepix F40fd which was also a basic point and shoot camera. But if you think about how you want the car to appear in your shots in terms of lighting (photography is just painting with light after-all) then it allows you to create interesting lighting situations. I found this website awhile ago and it might be able to help you in terms of ideas for lighting and it has a couple of other helpful tips - http://www.carphototutorials.com/photographing_scale_cars.html

Yeah, it is a point and shoot camera. Just one think though, what shall I do about flash, is it good or bad, and should I turn it off? Thanks for these links as well.

As I said, you've got some nice ideas and seem to have a good range of model cars to choose from. Also, just whilst I think about it, take some time to learn the camera properly. Maybe set up a model car in a certain position, with a particular lighting set-up and then just experiment with various buttons on your camera. As I said earlier I'm assuming this is a point and shoot camera so I would probably suggest using a Macro mode and trying to put it in a near enough manual mode, setting the ISO to the lowest number possible. But just play, and experiment! It's the best way to improve, but give those websites a good read I'm sure they'll help you!

Thanks a lot for the help. :cheers:

Some Incredible Car You got there m8 (What is the Red one though is it a Stang ?)Look Forward to see more mate .

Took this for the Model Competition.

F50

Ferrari F50
Panasonic DMC-LS75
2/7/11

C&C is welcome.

Thanks for looking!​

Last edited:
This is the first time I have seen photography by you outside of Gran Turismo 4. 👍

This is the first time I have seen photography by you outside of Gran Turismo 4. 👍

I don't do too much photography out of GT4, but I do a couple of comps. Cheers for the comment!

I reckon the wheels should have been turned a bit more, then it would be damn awesome, not just awesome ;) 👍

It's been awhile.

It's been awhile hasn't it?

Since the last update, I got my own first camera for Christmas, a Panasonic DMC-LS5. A brilliant little camera it is.

I took some shots yesterday of my most recent Hot Wheels purchases, and I was pretty happy with them, so I decided to edit them as well.

mwyMy2C.jpg

dqUalBM.jpg

A76Y6Y7.jpg

N71WaLC.jpg

0a2GlmD.jpg

fpbsbej.jpg

wQBq1SH.jpg

0fbygVo.jpg

qFXL4Rv.jpg

HekhwW8.jpg

88WY254.jpg

4YGD1vA.jpg

Qj5m2pD.jpg

Thank you very much for looking. :cheers:

C&C is welcome. :)

Last edited:
Really nice shots, and to start - I have no major criticisms. But damn, this is fantastic. :drool:

Nice work. 👍

Thanks a lot for the comment Fishy, I appreciate you stopping by here. :cheers:

When will I be seeing your real-life gallery up? :P

Great work, SVX.

Some 'nagging' if you don't mind - you need to work more at this - more cars, more environments, more shots. Take a hundred shots of something and pick one out. Discard the others. You do not need to 'pad' the gallery. One memorable shot is worth six forgettable ones. Chasing photons is not an easy job - remember they travel at the speed of light.

Why am I taking the time to tell you this? I see great creative potential in your shots. Obviously without the slightest academic background at your age, you seem to have an instinctive flair for capturing mood and effect. You merely need to work on tighter (or vaster) composition - cropping may help. As well - don't forget the proportions of reality. The large leaves by the F50, for instance, throw the picture out off.

Your photos seem unretouched, very natural, child-like (not childish) and therefore bring an aura of freshness and innocence to your presentations, which make them stand out.

MOAR!👍

Cheers,
Harry.

Great work, SVX.

Some 'nagging' if you don't mind - you need to work more at this - more cars, more environments, more shots. Take a hundred shots of something and pick one out. Discard the others. You do not need to 'pad' the gallery. One memorable shot is worth six forgettable ones. Chasing photons is not an easy job - remember they travel at the speed of light.

Why am I taking the time to tell you this? I see great creative potential in your shots. Obviously without the slightest academic background at your age, you seem to have an instinctive flair for capturing mood and effect. You merely need to work on tighter (or vaster) composition - cropping may help. As well - don't forget the proportions of reality. The large leaves by the F50, for instance, throw the picture out off.

Your photos seem unretouched, very natural, child-like (not childish) and therefore bring an aura of freshness and innocence to your presentations, which make them stand out.

MOAR!👍

Cheers,
Harry.

Thanks a lot for the comment, Harry.

I really appreciate stopping by and taking the time to give me some constructive criticism, I'll make sure to put what you said in effect.

Nice work! I like your backdrop (the rock that looks like a cliff face). Keep it up!

1/1/13: Japanese Legends

*Blows cobwebs off*

Wow, has it been that long? :eek:

Here's my latest batch of shots, taken last year in October. Finally found out how to do letterbox style shots, and I think they suit the shots pretty well. 👍

UGDk08H.jpg

ya8vh1S.jpg

eUcs6H2.jpg

JBabVxt.jpg

z04Sv2w.jpg

oOYdV6N.jpg

sphnfcw.jpg

Thanks for looking! :cheers:

C&C are welcome. :)

Last edited:
Makes me wanna open my unused diecast box and start a photoshoot.
Excellent work, Joshua! :drool:👍

Back