SNAIL Parity Racing Series - 86 GT/FR-S/BR-Z Night

• Thread starter Vol Jbolaz
  • 427 comments
Once I got to the appropriate handicap I couldn't win. I could still place well, but only when other drivers made mistakes large enough for me to sneak by.

Trial Mountain is the only track where both Nic and I dominated at low pp...except that each race I got stuck in traffic and Nic managed to make it to the front without any stragglers. It's a technical track that we don't run as much as other tracks. I'm still trying to find my way around that track.

Fun racing last night!I think 5PP works really well...at 4pp the grid would split anyway and at 6pp it would be too much...

Yeah, basically Nic and I need a 10pp handicap, and everyone else was pretty good from the 3rd race on.

sorry i didnt make it! Build the basement is ending soon..and we'll move to another night, so tuesdays will free up! :)

This week, I'll be hosting this in the SNAIL_Division2 lounge to introduce this to them. You are all welcome to attend, but you'll need to add that account as a friend (and if it gets full, we'll have to ask non-SNAILs to leave).

We'll be using the premium S2000 this week, and everyone else will have it broken in, so if you aren't in SNAILs but want to join us, break it in.

and if it gets full, we'll have to ask non-SNAILs to leave

As previous weekly winners, I think that Chuyler and Nic should both get a place in the room, regardless.

The way I see it, this is your/their event first and foremost. If anyone would need to leave, it's the new people (SNAILs) who are getting introduced to the series. Just my two cents.

So, it'll be first come, first serve.

Not that it really matters, mind you. I don't expect the room to be full. I do expect that we'll get ten or so, and that'll be fun.

I'll update the first post, but the three tracks will be Deep Forest / Reverse, Cote D'Azur, and Autumn Ring / Reverse.

I've updated the first post with details. Remember to send your friend requests to SNAIL_Division2 if you want to join this week. I'm hoping with our handful and a handful of people that may be interested in trying it out there, we may get ten or so.

Again, since we are using a car from the current SNAIL line-up, I recommend running it in. If this catches on, I don't mind using cars that are not in the SNAIL line-up, I just wanted to make the transition easy for them this week.

I should be able to make it tonight. I'll let you know otherwise as the time gets closer.

Thanks

Machine

Again....as "build the basement" continues, I'll try my best to show!
Post some pics of your basement man.

I don't know how much racing I'll be getting in over the next few weeks. My new toy finally arrived and it needs some attention before I take it on any extended trips.

Nice rig, huyler! I'll take some shots tonight...nothing pretty to show yet, just a lot of electrical work, and some framed walls. We're doing it a few hrs each tuesday, so it's a long process :)

Okay, this Tuesday, we will be in the SNAIL_Division2 lounge again, so if you are not friends with SNAIL_Division2, please send a friend request.

This week, we will be running the Evora again. Next week, I am actually thinking about opening it up to a class of cars instead of a single make.

• 17 April Race will be held in the SNAIL_Division2 lounge
    • Car Selection: Lotus Evora '09 (recommend break-in)
    • Initial Performance Point Level:
    • Lower Performance Point Level:
    • Upper Performance Point Level:
    • Performance Point Increment: 5
    • Tire Selection:
    • Track Selection: Grand Valley East / Reverse, Deep Forest / Reverse, Trial Mountain / Reverse
  • 24 April: Chunnel Champions Race will be held in the SNAIL_Division2 lounge
    • Car Selection: Mini Cooper S '07 versus Peugeot 207 GTi '07
    • Initial Performance Point Level: 380
    • Lower Performance Point Level: 370
    • Upper Performance Point Level: 395
    • Performance Point Increment: 5
    • Tire Selection: Sports Hard
    • Track Selection:
  • 24 April: V8 Challenge Race will be held in the SNAIL_Division2 lounge

This is the line up for the next few weeks. I'm trying something a little different. I hope it works out.

Okay, sorry for being so slow, but some news:

The first post has been updated with tracks for the next two weeks. I've matched the tracks up to the cars as best I could. I hope they turn out be fun. I think the cars for next week would be brilliant at Monaco, but I've included London instead. Even though London is probably the worst course in the game.

I've updated the second post with the results from last week. I've also updated the leaderboard spreadsheet.

The next two weeks will be an experiment with multiple cars. I hope the cars are matched well. We shall we.

Something else I want to try is to try some different themes that may include non-premium cars. I'd love a 90's JDM night, but aside from finding some that match up with each other, we'd have to make sure everyone could get them. I'd also love an E-Type night, but again, we'd have to make sure everyone could get one.

Out of curiosity, since I am interested by parity racing, why are you limiting the range of ajustement in PP? What if someone is so fast that he keeps being clearly ahead of the rest, where is the parity on that?
Also curious why reajust the parity by changing PP after every race, does the ability of you drivers vary after every race? It seams to me that the reverse is happening as logicaly every other race a faster driver gets a more adventageous PP car after having finished the previous race with the right car for a fair parity.

Out of curiosity, since I am interested by parity racing, why are you limiting the range of ajustement in PP? What if someone is so fast that he keeps being clearly ahead of the rest, where is the parity on that?
Also curious why reajust the parity by changing PP after every race, does the ability of you drivers vary after every race? It seams to me that the reverse is happening as logicaly every other race a faster driver gets a more adventageous PP car after having finished the previous race with the right car for a fair parity.

We haven't run into an instance where the fastest drivers have been able to stay out front at the lowest PP. I don't know why we change each race, but I think it's more fun to keep changing it up.

I should've posted a reminder here sooner. Mini Cooper versus 207 GTi tongiht! Pick one and come have fun!

If a driver keeps winning, then his PP allowance will keep going down. If a driver keeps losing, his PP allowance will keep going up.

The system is not perfect. If you find your sweet spot, then you will probably start hovering around it. Go up one race, go down the next race.

Really, to win the whole night, you just need to be consistent.

I hope I understand your questions and concerns.

I should've posted a reminder here sooner. Mini Cooper versus 207 GTi tongiht! Pick one and come have fun!

If a driver keeps winning, then his PP allowance will keep going down. If a driver keeps losing, his PP allowance will keep going up.

The system is not perfect. If you find your sweet spot, then you will probably start hovering around it. Go up one race, go down the next race.

Really, to win the whole night, you just need to be consistent.

I hope I understand your questions and concerns.

yes, thank you for your quick answer. Unfortunetly for me your events are too late for me to take part in, so I had to ask instead of trying it.
I wish you a lot of fun and close racing for your league.

Last edited:
too late?? the 6-1-3 needs more representation! Race from 10-11, and then tuck in for the night..

Wow, big night, and I don't know where to start:

1) Let me start by saying thank you to everyone who turned out, if even for a little while. At one point, we had 14 drivers. I was really not expecting that. I do apologize about the courses. They would be fine for the cars we had with the usual turn out. That turn out was very big. Saying that, though, I personally wasn't stuffed by anyone other than myself, and I only tapped a few people, never enough to knock them too far off their line.

Well, I can't apologize for London. It is just a crap course, but it fit the theme. If I only pick courses I like, we will do Monaco and Fuji all the time.

2) We were beset by lots of problems. That comes with 14 people I guess. We had communications problems from everyone not having headsets, and headsets not always working. We had some technical delays and some starting grids that didn't go as they should've. I'm sorry. I can't help these things. If we are going to have 14 people on a regular basis, then I may just drop it to five races.

3) The parity system isn't perfect. I want some feedback to make it better. But before I do, I want to wax about the purpose of this system:

There are clearly some very good drivers. If we all get into a race together, you have your favorites and your long shots. It is easy to make book. I'm going to pick on Diabolic for a moment. If the two of us are on the track, bet your money on him. In the same car, he will beat me more than nine times out of ten.

The point of the parity system is to confound the bookies. He beats me soundly the first race, so we adjust parity and grid. Will he beat me the second race? Maybe, maybe not. At some point, after adjusting and adjusting, it gets to the point where the books are even. That is the point. The cars are in a tighter pack and there are no clear favorites.

Having said that, there are points being kept the whole night. There are clear favorites for the points. I can't help that, and I don't want to. Diabolic may not be able to beat me every race, but he will beat me in the points. He beats me in the first race to give himself a head start, and on the rest of the races he is more consistent. At the end of the evening, it is still obvious who is the better driver, but over the course of the evening, we have closer races and... get this...

we have loads more fun!

4) Yes, the system can be gamed. No, hanging back just to get a parity bonus for the next race won't help you in the long run. You should just fight for every position that you can in every race that you can. Basically, your average place matters more than anything. And last averaged with first is just middle. last half averaged with near first wins.

The way that the system can be gamed is be not being honest about your PP adjustment. I can't, in a timely manner, police that. And you know what, I don't care. There is a driver that I think isn't honest. And I don't care. So what, he pulls away from me when I have 15 more PP than him and I'm in his draft. I get over it. There are other drivers that I know are being honest. They are drivers that are better than me on most nights, but that I can keep up with on nights like this.

And they are drivers that I'll be more friendly with and invite to events like this and others. They are drivers that I'll hang out with during practices. They are drivers that I'll give a little extra room to in the corners.

And if there is a driver that needs to cheat to win something like this, something with no prizes and no real goal other than making the racing closer, well... I feel sorry for them.

5) Man, I suck so freaking bad!!!! The last two races were just epic fail all over. Before those two races, i was doing well in the points. But at the end of the evening, I am again last. The only people that finished lower than me are people that didn't run all six races. And there are drivers that didn't run all six races that still beat me. I'll publish the results in just a moment.

We have been doing points based on number of racers. But I want to recalculate real quick and compare awarding points based solely on position (first always gets 16) just to see how that would change things. I'll publish both for comparison.

6) Again, thanks to those that came. I do hope to see you next week. I do hope we make this better. Next week, we have tracks with more open space, but we do have cars that are a bit faster. Yes, the BMW is probably the best car, but I hope some of you challenge yourselves and pick something other than the BMW.

I'm thinking of taking the Maserati just because it looks fantastic.

Back