◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,798 comments
Maybe the divisions just need a little fine tuning? Div 1 10 people showed, Div 2 15, Div 3 13. Full room makes for some fun racing

This will be happening at the end of the month for sure.

In D1, there could have been 14 people had all showed ...

Yeah I just looked at it again. We'll need a 4th if evry1 showed up & if people keep coming. You guys do a great job running this & im enjoying the racing. We should try & have some Cat & Mouse 2nite!!

Round 3 stayed huh? Kinda goes in the face of all that debate we had about track choices a couple months back. One crazy car, with one tight, short track full of nuts corners. And it keeps rolling along. Zer0, you come up with a qualifying plan yet or are we still gonna run that normal like?

I liked The Monza combo as a whole. The only issue i had was the car was topping out half way down the front straight in a draft. I thought the racing was very close, we had the top 4 drivers cross the finish line all with in .200 of a second. Position 1-3 was .069 you can't get much closer then that.

Zero/Cheeb: is there a policy we could put in place, that if you pick a car/track, your required to TEST them before posting? No one wants to be banging off the rev limited.

Edit- may i request a few photo's of that finish above? Thanks!

I would like to submit my request to join your league please.
Let me know, Thanks.

Hey Jonsey80,

Seems you're acquainted with mopar, hope it doesn't rub off :lol: Just having a little fun, glad you're here and my apologies for the delay in posting this!

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

I'll add you to the drivers list. Please run the Time Trial Combination in this post and Private Message your time to my GT Planet account prior to 10:00 P.M. EDT Saturday July 21st. The time you send will help us determine which Division you'd be best to start in. We do as much as we can to make sure everyone gets involved in some close, clean racing.

If you can't race on a Sunday, please give us at least 24 hours notice by posting in this forum, it helps the Sunday Race Directors out.

PSN friend requests will be sent to you from SNAIL_Division1, SNAIL_Division2 and SNAIL_Division3. Their lounges are where we race Sunday night and hold our various events. Here's a breakdown of the ways we use the lounges.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

The original post also has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices here. To avoid duplication of choices, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

I liked The Monza combo as a whole. The only issue i had was the car was topping out half way down the front straight in a draft. I thought the racing was very close, we had the top 4 drivers cross the finish line all with in .200 of a second. Position 1-3 was .069 you can't get much closer then that.

Zero/Cheeb: is there a policy we could put in place, that if you pick a car/track, your required to TEST them before posting? No one wants to be banging off the rev limited.

I liked Monza as well - I really liked the car as well. That car on that track was OK, a twistier track may have suited it better for the speed that you mentioned, Mopar, but that finish sounds terrific! :cheers:

I voted against the BMW because it didn't seem anywhere near as close as the other two races in D3. Heck, I know - that means I didn't vote against the Ferrari this week. :crazy:

I went with round 3, but only because I found that combination was the trickiest to get right for the whole race....I enjoyed each round and would have liked to have abstained from voting this week :lol:

I second the TEST requirment.

I seen the close finish watching the replay and will post pics shortly.

You should definitely test combos. That should go without saying. I'm not sure about the rev limiter argument. It sucks to hit the limiter, but if you cut that out we'll pretty much never drive old muscle cars. Spec racing is more about the corners and braking than top speed, anyway.

Ditto what Ap said. Everyone should be testing their picks anyways, but I don't think bouncing off the rev limiter should eliminate a combo from consideration. It may not be ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker. After all, everybody on the track will be bouncing off the rev limiter under the same conditions. Therefore, is it really that big of a deal if it affects everyone in the same exact way?

You should definitely test combos. That should go without saying. I'm not sure about the rev limiter argument. It sucks to hit the limiter, but if you cut that out we'll pretty much never drive old muscle cars. Spec racing is more about the corners and braking than top speed, anyway.

I've wanted to drive the 1970 Challenger for some time, but it tops out at 114 mph. The RM version adds 5-10 mph, really not noticeable. I feel if i picked that, or many of the other muscle cars who's trans's are very low, people would complain alot and I would be told i suck at picking combo's.
Those cars have high Hp, very easy to reach the rev limited on even short straight.

I've wanted to drive the 1970 Challenger for some time, but it tops out at 114 mph. The RM version adds 5-10 mph, really not noticeable. I feel if i picked that, or many of the other muscle cars who's trans's are very low, people would complain alot and I would be told i suck at picking combo's.
Those cars have high Hp, very easy to reach the rev limited on even short straight.

I think picking a combo in which the car bounces off the rev limiter unassisted is worse than picking a combo that will only reach the rev limiter with the aid of a draft. Just my two cents.

Ditto what Ap said. Everyone should be testing their picks anyways, but I don't think bouncing off the rev limiter should eliminate a combo from consideration. It may not be ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker. After all, everybody on the track will be bouncing off the rev limiter under the same conditions. Therefore, is it really that big of a deal if it affects everyone in the same exact way?

Would you be against "testing" something like this out, say the 70' Challenger at a track on Wednesday? Maybe do 1 race in the Ferrari and the 2nd race in the Challenger to see how the masses feel?

The Challenger is a great car. I just worry that everyone who doesn't have their own color is going to pick mine, as that's where I find it. :scared:

Would you be against "testing" something like this out, say the 70' Challenger at a track on Wednesday? Maybe do 1 race in the Ferrari and the 2nd race in the Challenger to see how the masses feel?

What are you wanting to test out? Whether the '70 Challenger will bounce off the rev limiter unassisted, or whether the masses will not like that it does? I can't tell you the answer the first question, but I can tell you the answer to the second. People will not like bouncing off the rev limiter at every single straight when all by themselves.

I don't think we need test session to tell us that answer, but I also don't think we need to make a rule disallowing a combo that does that since nobody has ever picked a combo like that before. In general, I don't feel we need to make a rule for every potential situation. If something becomes an issue, sure let's address it.

In the meantime, I think as long as the Prize A and Prize B winners take a least one hat lap around the combo they want to choose, then this will never be a problem. If it is, then shame on them for picking a bad combo and we'll let them know how we feel by making it a "one and done" selection.

Sounds good =)
I have no complaints that i can think of on my side.

Also for those who did the GT-A, there are events every week in the seasonals for special prizes.

About the rev limiter, I've noticed a few things from some accidental "testing" I've been doing with a lot of the cars from the combos.

Usually, to break in the cars, I do a couple laps at Route X, and have a drafting battle with the AI.

All the cars behave quite differently at their top speed, sometimes in ways that are good for racing, sometimes in ways that are not. For example, some cars don't hit the rev limiter at all at their top speed, which makes drafting battles pretty easy. Some cars hit the rev limiter just as they pass their usual top speed, meaning when you draft, you don't actually get to go much faster unless you hold the pedal at half throttle to keep it at a speed just slightly higher than usual but slower than the rev limiter speed.

Some cars hit the rev limiter even without draft. This makes drafting meaningless unless you do the same thing with the pedal, which only gives a very slight advantage. I imagine the Challenger would behave like that. I also imagine controller users would have quite a bit of trouble using that technique, which wouldn't be quite fair.

So yeah, bouncing of the rev-limiter is not exactly a good idea for racing, however I wouldn't be against a muscle car if it were on a track without lots of long straights. Maybe one at the most, none preferably. Something like Laguna Seca, Eiger, or even some of the partial sections of Grand Valley or Suzuka. Really tight tracks or city tracks would prevent hitting the rev-limiter but they wouldn't necessarily be fun.

Usually, to break in the cars, I do a couple laps at Route X, and have a drafting battle with the AI.

If they're European cars, I do the 'extreme' Euro Championship race at Monza on b-spec a few times....14 laps worth gets 50 miles each time you race it :)

My B-spec level is only at 10. I've been meaning to build him up so I can break in cars with him, but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I'll do that today.

EDIT: Wait a second wait a second, the cars need to be broken in for 300km. Doesn't anyone just use the Grand Valley 300km to break in their cars? That would make the most sense. You might have to do another 2.2 miles because it's not exact, but that's hardly a lot. And you don't have to choose between getting the prize money from a 200mi race or saving those 15 miles of driving.

Hey Jonsey80,

Seems you're acquainted with mopar, hope it doesn't rub off :lol: Just having a little fun, glad you're here and my apologies for the delay in posting this!

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

I'll add you to the drivers list. Please run the Time Trial Combination in this post and Private Message your time to my GT Planet account prior to 10:00 P.M. EDT Saturday July 21st. The time you send will help us determine which Division you'd be best to start in. We do as much as we can to make sure everyone gets involved in some close, clean racing.

If you can't race on a Sunday, please give us at least 24 hours notice by posting in this forum, it helps the Sunday Race Directors out.

PSN friend requests will be sent to you from SNAIL_Division1, SNAIL_Division2 and SNAIL_Division3. Their lounges are where we race Sunday night and hold our various events. Here's a breakdown of the ways we use the lounges.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

The original post also has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices here. To avoid duplication of choices, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Thanks, I'll get you that TT Time as soon as i can. Hopefully i can get involved in sum fun events this week and get used to racing with some of you.

Thanks Again, & Mopar I'll See You on the Track :P :)

Not all cars break in at the same mileage. They're all very similar, but they're not all the same. (Thanks again, PD/Kaz)

A lot of people use the GV300 to break in their cars, albeit in B-Spec. Sometimes that's all you need for full break in, sometimes you need a couple of laps more. Running a few practice laps at the track for the combo in question gets you those extra miles if you need them. In B-Spec, though, I'll often go for LS, just because then I'm guaranteed the mileage.

I like to try to find a seasonal event that's the same as what we're running. Most of the time the length is similar to the week's races. It's just a trick to find one that you can actually use the car in. Typically if you do that you're bound to lose, though, as you're up against a pile of 650PP race cars or similar, but the prize money is still beyond anything you'll get from offline A-Spec.

Thanks, I'll get you that TT Time as soon as i can. Hopefully i can get involved in sum fun events this week and get used to racing with some of you.

Thanks Again, & Mopar I'll See You on the Track :P :)

You're welcome 👍

The TT is only used to determine which Division to get you started in on Sundays. The rest of the weeks events are open to all S.N.A.I.L.s, of which you are now one :)

Keep an eye out on the thread for a public room number being posted near our standard 10:00 P.M. EDT festivity start time.

irmopars

Wouldn't that just dictate a course with limited straightaways?

Not all cars break in at the same mileage. They're all very similar, but they're not all the same. (Thanks again, PD/Kaz)

A lot of people use the GV300 to break in their cars, albeit in B-Spec. Sometimes that's all you need for full break in, sometimes you need a couple of laps more. Running a few practice laps at the track for the combo in question gets you those extra miles if you need them. In B-Spec, though, I'll often go for LS, just because then I'm guaranteed the mileage.

I like to try to find a seasonal event that's the same as what we're running. Most of the time the length is similar to the week's races. It's just a trick to find one that you can actually use the car in. Typically if you do that you're bound to lose, though, as you're up against a pile of 650PP race cars or similar, but the prize money is still beyond anything you'll get from offline A-Spec.

I just use the Laguna Seca race, 20ish miles doesn't mean that much to me and the cars are broken in when Bob is done!

Also, you can enter any car in this event, I can fire it up at night before bed and done the next day. I try to keep my PITA level as low as possible. If I have to fidget and fart around to make something happen, it usually doesn't ;)

Hey BlacqueJacques, sorry to hear that.

If you'd like I can make you an Associate S.N.A.I.L. that way you can still join us for any of our other events.

Let me know.

Cheers,

kcheeb

Sure I'll be an Associate S.N.A.I.L. :)

I will also check out the S.P.E.C. Saturday nite league :)

Good racing people 👍

I'm not sure I agree with this. According to this, PD picked very even numbers for all the breaking in/wearing out stuff. I have yet to see evidence that it varies from car to car, except for OCD cars.

How do I do a pro test .Race 4 lap one end of the front straight on the start some guy drove through all of us and i came out last. Then he left the room did not even give me my spot back.
All and all was a blast
Steve

Back