Slowest car

• Thread starter max_rev
  • 23 comments
OK seems only I was stoopid enough to take this up (really needed some downtime from intense races actually!)

The proving ground: Special Stage Route 7, really just used the remainder of the straight you start on, it's not flat, if anything it rises a little then drops a little before the kinda exit ramp, but as the rest of the track seems to undulate more, it's the best we'll get until PD give us some decent testing facilities ;-)

Accordingly these times were probably on a slight decline, so are optimistic if anything!

Vehicles are all stock, no engine rebuild or chassis overhaul but all had the benefit of an oil change. Stock tyres (comfort medium) and no driving aids.

So the losers are, in order of slowest first:

1. Subaru 360 '58 - 49 mph
2. Volkswagen Kubelwagen Typ82 '44 - 50mph
3. Volkswagen Schwimmwagen Typ166 '42 - 52mph
4. Citroen 2CV Type 4 '54 - 56mph
5. Fiat 500F '65 - 63mph
6. Fiat 500F '68 - 64mph
7. Volkswagen Type 2 (T1) Sambabus '62 - 71mph
8. Daihatsu Midget II D-Type '08 - 72 mph
9. Volkswagen Beetle 110 Standard (Type 11) '49 - 76mph
10.Gran Turismo PDI Racing Cart 100 - 77mph
11.Honda N360 '67 - 77mph
12.Honda Z Act '70 - 80mph

80mph seemed as good a cut off as any. For our metric friends simply multiply the speeds by 1.6093 for km/h :)

There are other Fiat 500s of course but left it at the premium version and the older standard, only 1mph in it.

Pretty sure there are some i missed, thought i had a Mazda Carol but apparently not! Was kinda fun but did become a bit of a grind, and also highlighted just how clunky the menus (still) are.

Anyone think an online event for historic VWs up to a power limit of say 50bhp could be fun? Or even just a free run with lots of them around the 'ring :)

Sorry to revive this thread (I'm new, haven't memmorized the posting regs) but have you tested the cars on SSX with the speed test function? Also, if you happen to have that subaru around I'd trade for it. Just want it for the novelty value of having the slowest car in the game. Anyway, I hope you see this. Thanks!

My vote goes for the Z act as it's the only car out of that lot that sometimes can't even leave the pitlane on some of the tracks.

The Z Act (as well as other motorcycle-derived classic kei cars) has wrong gear ratios, this is why it's so slow, even more than what its power/torque figures would suggest. Specifically, it lacks the secondary final gear ratio, so gears are much taller (2.812 times if I remember correctly) than they should be.
Also, in GT5 there's a problem with the rotational inertia of small displacement engines: they rev up too slowly (even in neutral). Most of those slow cars (and certain motorcycle engined cars such as the Caterham Firebird) are affected in this aspect.

In the Citroen (stock), it takes approxamatly 20.7192660546 minutes to complete a lap, although that is assuming you kept your speed at a constant 54.5mph which is the cars top speed. I didn't have the patience to actually try that though....

And converted to 60 seconds per minute instead of 100, the lap time is 20:43.156 :)

Okay, maybe I should have converted the decimal to seconds. Still quite a long time to do one lap, considering some cars can do it in under 4 minutes.

Which tracks have uphill pit lanes?

None of the circuits included have an uphill lane, but sometimes Toscana and Mt. Aso can have quite steep hills on the pitlane and i couldn't get the Z act out of Toscana's once. :crazy:

None of the circuits included have an uphill lane, but sometimes Toscana and Mt. Aso can have quite steep hills on the pitlane and i couldn't get the Z act out of Toscana's once. :crazy:

Laguna Seca does have a slight upward stance to it, as previously mentioned in this very thread. Using the old hacked Prius that was going around back in March, that would actually roll back to a flat point, get half way up and roll back again.
This was a really sloppy car though, still had the single speed gearbox, but had been extended to give a theoretical top speed of 700+mph, with 3000+bhp. But, because of the transmission, it was running on the electric motor until it got to around 60mph. Acceleration was on a par with a glacier.
Eiger was even funnier though.

Smuttysy
Laguna Seca does have a slight upward stance to it, as previously mentioned in this very thread. Using the old hacked Prius that was going around back in March, that would actually roll back to a flat point, get half way up and roll back again.
This was a really sloppy car though, still had the single speed gearbox, but had been extended to give a theoretical top speed of 700+mph, with 3000+bhp. But, because of the transmission, it was running on the electric motor until it got to around 60mph. Acceleration was on a par with a glacier.
Eiger was even funnier though.

So, does this mean that this Prius has a very peaky powerband?

GTV0819
So, does this mean that this Prius has a very peaky powerband?

Depends. The electric motor will be activated at lower speeds then the gas motor would have the most power.

So basically what happened.
The person who made this car was most likely using a power multiplier. So the gas motor was multiplied instead of the electric motor.

Making that effect. So technically you are correct. The peaky powerband is caused by the second engine taking over.

Last edited:
Lock2Lock
Depends. The electric motor will be activated at lower speeds then the gas motor would have the most power.

So basically what happened.
The person who made this car was most likely using a power multiplier. So the gas motor was multiplied instead of the electric motor.

Making that effect. So technically you are correct. The peaky powerband is caused by the second engine taking over.

How can it be noticed in the game?

GTV0819
How can it be noticed in the game?

Ummm. Not really sure how to answer that to be honest. I just know how the Prius basically works.

Only way to know for sure is with tire wear and fuel consumption being on. Which I have tested the Prius before, it basically is what I described above.

Lock2Lock
Ummm. Not really sure how to answer that to be honest. I just know how the Prius basically works.

Only way to know for sure is with tire wear and fuel consumption being on. Which I have tested the Prius before, it basically is what I described above.

Is it like the car is slow at low revs and starts to run fast at high speeds?

Not sure what it is about the Collective Consciousness, but recently - in the last few weeks - I have been playing with 50+ HP cars, trying to find the 'slowest' car (my definition of which was to race in the slowest races possible, with smaller cars till I couldn't win any race in them.)

It's been fun racing against cars with double the horsepower - and winning. Try the 2CV at the Sunday Cup.

Some more info on the 2CV:

The Citroën 2CV (French: "deux chevaux" i.e. "deux chevaux-vapeur" (lit. 'steam horses'), "two tax horsepower") was an economy car produced by the French car manufacturer Citroën between 1948 and 1990.[1] It was technologically advanced and innovative, but with uncompromisingly utilitarian unconventional looks, and deceptively simple Bauhaus and Junkers early all metal aircraft inspired bodywork (corrugated for added strength without added weight),[3][4][5] that belied the sheer quality of its underlying engineering. It was designed to motorise the large number of small-holder farmers in 1930s France, who were still using horses and carts. It is considered one of Citroën's most iconic cars. In 1953 Autocar in a technical review of the car wrote of "the extraordinary ingenuity of this design, which is undoubtedly the most original since the Model T Ford".[6] It was described by Car Magazine journalist and author L. J. K. Setright as "the most intelligent application of minimalism ever to succeed as a car".[4] It was designed for low cost, simplicity of use and maintenance, versatility, reliability, low fuel consumption and off-road driving. For this it had a light, easily serviceable engine, extremely soft long travel suspension (with height adjustment by lengthening/shortening of tie rods)[5] high ground clearance, and for oversized loads a car-wide canvas sunroof, which (until 1955) also covered the boot.

During a production run of 42 years between 1948 and 1990, 3,872,583 2CVs were produced, plus 1,246,306 Fourgonnettes (small 2CV delivery vans), as well as spawning mechanically identical vehicles including the Ami: 1,840,396; the Dyane: 1,444,583; the Acadiane: 253,393; and the Mehari: 144,953, a grand total of 8,756,688, of which there are still 3,382 on the road in the UK as of January 2013.[7]

Back