Laguna Seca 200 Miles Companion & Competition

• Thread starter axletramp
  • 192 comments
I set out here on a data gathering run using grid #24. It's generally an average to slow grid except at the back lurks one of the known rabbits, the Camaro SS '10. It would be interesting to see how quickly he could clear the field and I hoped I could be as far away as possible when it happened. I also wanted to use this as a test of tyre wear on an FF car, so rather than go for my trusty sub-400PP Alfa 147 I went for the '97 Civic Type-R with as low a PP as I could gamble. Experience (rather than testing) told me that sports softs wouldn't last to 30 laps, so I played it safe with sports mediums and an aggressive chassis/suspension set up. I didn't have time to test anything so I just cycled through to grid #24 (which took a while), turned off the TC and hit go!

Car: Honda Civic Type-R (EK) '97
HP: 180
PP: 400
Weight: 968Kg
Mods: See below.
Power Level: 85.7%
Tyres: SM
All aids off. ABS 1. DFGT wheel.

Grid #24:
1. Cougar XR-7 '67
2. Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
3. Tempest Le Mans GTO '64
4. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
5. Camaro SS '00
6. Chevelle SS 454 '70
7. Me
8. Challenger SRT8 '08
9. Mustang GT '05
10. Corvette ZR-1 (C4) '90
11. Charger Super Bee
12. Camaro SS '10

Lap 1: 1:47.702
We're off and I drop to 9th on the straight but hold my inside line and exit turn 1 in 5th. I have huge understeer on cold tyres so decide to play it safe for a few turns and pick up places only when I can without burning the tyres. Brake balance is way off so I adjust them to 3/7 which helps turn in. End the opening lap 4th. -5 secs

Laps 2 to 7:
Running consistent 1:44.xxx's but I'm 3rd and only just holding on to the leading Cougar XR-7 (+9 secs) and 2nd place Mustang Cobra (+4.6). This is a little worrying as I was hoping to lead by now to break away from the slowly climbing Camaro SS '10. At the end of lap 7 I get the bad news that the Camaro has broken through the pack and is only 5 seconds behind me. :indiff:

Laps 8 to 11:
Camaro catches me within one lap by pulling 1:41.xxx's and promptly starts to ram me from behind. The pattern is the same: I pull away through the turns (higher apex speed) and he catches me on the straights and rams me. I'm not blocking him, just holding my lines. I know he's going to come past, but he's got to make the move around me. He just takes this as permission to hit me a every possible chance he gets. I manage to keep him behind me until I run wide at turn 7 and he gratefully receives the gift. Finish lap -13 secs down in 4th.

Laps 12 to 20:
I just keep plugging away but my lap times have dropped into the 1:46.xxx's as I start to feel my tyres. By lap 20 the Camaro has hit the front and is pulling away. My only realistic target is 2nd or a good podium, so I get my head down and just forget about the 'rabbit'. End lap 20 +22 secs to the Camaro SS '10, +19 to the Cougar XR-7 and +6 secs to the Mustang Cobra. The 5th place Le Mans GTO is a distant 30 seconds behind me.

Laps 21 to 30:
I get my act together and manage to pull my lap times back to 1:44.xxx/1:45.xxx. For the first time I start to reel in the Mustang Cobra and Cougar. I lap my first car, the Cuda 440, on lap 25 and finally take 3rd spot from the Mustang Cobra in the middle of lap 29. Finish lap 30 +50 secs to the Camaro SS '10 and +15 secs to the Cougar. I pit for new tyres (20% front / 80% rear) and no fuel and survey the scratches and and dents at the back of my car caused by the Camaro.

Laps 31 to 40:
I exit the pits back in 4th about +18 secs behind the struggling Mustang whose last lap was 1:49.900. My fastest lap so far has been a 1:44.736 but I feel there's more speed to be found in this Civic, I just need to work on it and chase 2nd and 3rd down. The Cougar pits on lap 32 and I catch and pass the Mustang on lap 36 to go 2nd - which in my mind is really 1st as I'm ignoring the Camaro SS '10. ;) The Camaro pits on lap 36 but is still 22 secs ahead when he rejoins. For a second I think I might have a chance to chase him down, but that is soon dispelled as he drops back into the 1:41.xxx's and I'm only pulling 1:44.xxx's. I'm a good 10 secs ahead of the third placed Cougar and easily matching him on pace.

Laps 41 to 50:
Keeping much more consistent during this phase in the 1:44.xxx/1:45.xxx's, which has become a bit lonely. The Camaro SS '10 is just over a minute ahead by lap 50 and the Cougar is about 15 secs behind me. I've lapped everyone up to the 4th placed Mustang Cobra.

Laps 51 to 60:
More of the same but my lap times drop into the 1:46.xxx/1:47.xxx range as my tyres gradually go. The Camaro SS '10 is now in the 1:40.xxx's! Gap back to the 3rd placed Cougar is 30 secs. Mustang Cobra is almost a lap down in 4th. I pit on lap 60 for new SM tyres and the pit says I still don't need any fuel.

Laps 61 to 70:
At last I get it together and break into the 1:43.xxx's on lap 63 and stay there until lap 69. :D My fastest lap on lap 67 was 1:43.310 which pretty much guarantees me 2nd spot now as the Cougar is over half a lap down from me. I finish lap 70 +1:46.778 behind the Camaro (he's ramming my rear bumper again trying to lap me!).

Laps 71 to 80:
He manages to barge past me (I still haven't blocked him, just held my lines) at the first turn on lap 73 which means he's lapped the entire field. I have a big off for no apparent reason at the corkscrew which, incidentally, is not as easy to get through with an FF as it is with a FR. I lose about 10 secs to the chasing Cougar who is now running faster on new tyres and in clear air. By lap 80 I'm a good 30 secs ahead of the Cougar and holding him. Mustang is still 4th after having been lapped by me on lap 79.

Laps 81 to 90:
My tyres start to enter their final phase and the Cougar starts to take a second a lap out of me, but he's too far back to cause any problem. By lap 87 his tyres start to wear and my consistent 1:46.xxx's are too much for him and it halts his progress. By lap 89 the Mustang Cobra on better tyres is trying to un-lap himself which gives me something to play with in the run to the flag. He doesn't do it and I cross the line in a comfortable 2nd spot.

My finishing time was 2:40:35.683 with a margin of 3:14.867 from the winning Camaro SS '10. 3rd place was the Cougar '67 34 seconds behind me. For the record the Camaro SS '10 finished in 2:37:20.816 with his bonnet and front bumper flapping around - no doubt due to his aggressive overtaking policy!

Fastest lap: 1:43.310 on lap 67.

Conclusion:
What I discovered here - 1) that Camaro SS '10 is without doubt a 'rabbit' and 2) that he is quite prepared to smack the crap out of you to get past! :lol: He easily lapped everyone and very nearly double-lapped the entire field! The '97 Type-R at 400PP goes very well and had this been grid #13 or one without a rabbit then I think it would have won. Those rabbits are just too fast for sub-400PP cars (to date) and get through the traffic with ease. The only problem going up against the rabbits is that you end up having a rather lonely race. I think now that the data gathering is done my next run will be against tighter competition using grid #13.

Last edited:
I set out here on a data gathering run using grid #24.

:cheers: Cheers on completing your data running, axletramp! You made the run highly entertaining and informative in a number of ways. I'm intrigued enough to start looking into an FF, maybe one of those French ones. :nervous:

I'm looking forward to your appraisal of grid #13, and the relative merits of the various AI opposition.

Highest regards,
Steve

Thanks. FF's are so much harder than FR and MR when it comes to tyre management, hence the sports mediums. As it turned out that was a good call as SS wouldn't have lasted (plus I wouldn't have caught the Camaro anyway) and SH would probably have been too slow without giving any pit stop advantage.

Just completed a double run in a stock BMW Z4 '03 on sports mediums and sports softs and completely different strategies, leading to mixed results! Report to follow soon...

Last edited:
And here it is... :D

This is my first crack at the 'easy' grid #13. I had already decided on the BMW Z4 '03 as it ticked the right boxes and I haven't run this car in an endurance before. I had one in my garage with 45.2 miles on the clock (I can't even remember where I did that) and 417PP. Perfect. For a while I was stuck between tuning her and trying a sub-400PP run or staying stock on SM or SS tyres. I decided to go for the later with this run - the sub-400PP runs can come later. ;)

RUN ONE

Car: BMW Z4 '03
HP: 222
PP: 417
Weight: 1365Kg
Mods: None - Stock
Power Level: 100%

Grid #13:
1. Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
2. Superbird '70
3. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
4. Charger 440 R/T '70
5. Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
6. Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07
7. Me
8. Chevelle SS 454 '70
9. Camaro SS '00
10. Corvette Convertible (C3) '69
11. Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71
12. Cougar XR-7 '67

Laps 1 to 5:
Fairly decent start but by lap 3, where my tyres should be coming into their optimum, I'm still in 3rd spot and losing a second a lap to the leading IROC-Z and 2nd place Charge R/T. Laps in the region of 1:45.xxx's and already struggling to get used to the extra weight (1365Kg) and understeer compared to previous runs. To compound my problems the Z28 (who had fallen back at the start) and Corvette have broken through the pack and are already chasing me down. I thought this was the 'easy' grid! By lap five I'm 10 secs down from the lead.

Laps 6 to 10:
On lap 6 the Corvette passes the Z28 and latches on to my rear end. I now start the familiar cycle of pulling away in the turns (especially the final sector from the corkscrew) and being caught and battered at the end of the straights. I stay in 3rd but this constant battling is slowing me down and killing my tyres. My lap times are now in the 1:47.xxx/1:48.xxx's due to the fighting. I end lap 10 almost 20 seconds down from 1st.

Laps 11 to 18:
The battling continues as I hold everyone up and continue to drop time to the leaders. Although I'm doing a stirling job of keeping the much faster Corvette and Z28 at bay (just holding my lines and the odd banzai move to stay ahead) I'm already recognising that this might be a lost cause. These sports medium tyres on this car plus the constant fight just aren't working for me. On lap 18 the Corvette finally gets past on the run up to the corkscrew and easily pulls away. My lap times are in the 1:49.xxx's now and I'm over 30 secs down on the leader. Z28 is also banging (literally) on my door.

Laps 19 to 20:
The Z28 gets past on lap 19 and now I can see that these tyres aren't going to get me to 30 laps for a two-stopper. I think about coming in on lap 20 for a three-stopper but with the Corvette and Z28 now scampering away, the maths tell me it's just not going to happen. So I decided to quit as there's nothing to gain here.

RUN ONE: Conclusion
I was fairly confident going into this with a well balanced stock FR car against this grid. What surprised me the most was having the fastest AI car on the grid come barreling through the traffic and attacking me within 6 laps! Judging by previous runs by other members this wasn't to be expected. I think in clear air I would have a much better chance as I could manage the tyres and stay consistently in the 1:44.xxx region. But having to deal with much faster cars so early made that impossible.

But not to be beaten, I decided to change my approach rather than the car. If I couldn't get SM tyres to 30 laps then I might be able to stretch SS tyres to 22 laps and a three stop strategy. The grippier SS tyres could see me hit the front earlier and control things a little better from there - it's a plan! So I slapped on some SS tyres and restarted the race using the same grid #13.

RUN TWO

Details and specs as above except with super soft tyres.

Lap 1:
Off we go again and I manage to slip by up the inside of the first turn and come out in 3rd without any contact altogether! Much more grip now even with cold tyres. I stick firmly to the leading pair and have a decent opening lap ending it only -2 secs down.

Laps 2 to 10:
Feeling much more confident on these tyres. Due to my aborted run I throw caution to the wind to get into the lead and keep away from the Corvette and Z28. From lap 2 onwards I'm into the 1:43.xxx's and I take the lead relatively easily from the Z28 and IROC-Z. Tyres appear to be holding up much better so I keep pushing on to maximise my extra grip and speed - we'll worry about tyre wear later. I keep pulling away and this time it looks like at least the Corvette is stuck in traffic but the Camaro Z28 is comfortably in second and not budging. I end lap 10 +8 secs up in the lead. Fastest lap so far is 1:43:310 on lap 7

Laps 11 to 20:
I just keep consistent and maintain a good pace - so much easier from the front. My lap times are entrenched in the 1:43.xxx's up until around lap 15 when I start to feel my tyres as they go below 50%. Yikes - I've got to get to lap 22 for this to work. Laps 16 to 20 drop into the 1:44.xxx/1:45.xxx region. I've held a steady 8 second gap to the Z28 but even though my times are slowly dropping I'm also dropping him. I finish lap 20 +18 seconds in the lead with no sign of the faster AI cars catching the Z28 in 2nd.

Laps 20 to 22:
I'm still pushing as I need to make up the 25-30 seconds that my extra pit stop will take. My tyres are down to about 30% with two laps before I can stop and they start to fall off quickly now. By the time I pit at the end of lap 22 my lap time is 1:48.xxx and, more importantly, my lead is down to 15 seconds. Not enough to stay in the lead. I take on new tyres and 15 litres of fuel to minimise my pit-in time - tyres are <20% front / 50% rear - fuel down to 60%.

Laps 23 to 30:
I come out about 10 secs down on the now leading Z28 but well ahead of third who's doing a good job of holding up the Corvette. I very quickly catch and pass the Z28 to take the lead on lap 24. That feels good as now we both have two stops to make before the finish. Once again I put the hammer down and manage to break into the 1:42.xxx's. This car is mighty through the corkscrew and with less tyre wear at the rear you can really hammer the throttle without any worries as the weight transfers. I'm leaving everyone for dead through that section, including the Corvette. I end lap 30 +22 seconds ahead. The Camaro Z28 is still in second and now on worn tyres.

Laps 30 to 40:
The AI's all start to pit and I'm still on good tyres. My times are in the 1:43.xxx/1:44.xxx region and I'm constantly pulling away. By lap 40 I'm over a minute ahead and I've lapped everyone up to 4th (IROC-Z). Tyres are a bit dodgy now but I have the luxury of backing off for a bit and stretching them to lap 45.

Laps 41 to 45:
All the AI's are on new tyres now so my lead starts to drop. I pit on lap 45 +52 secs ahead and the Corvette has still not caught and passed the Z28. I take on new SS tyres and no fuel - I'll take a big fill later if I need to.

Laps 46 to 50:
Pressure is right off now so I'm cruising this section of the race and knocking out consistent 1:43.xxx's. I end lap 50 a minute up on second.

Laps 51 to 68:
The Corvette finally catches and passes the Z28 but it's all too late. I just need to make sure my tyres get to lap 68 which, by coincidence, is about the same time everyone else will be making their final stops. Nothing eventfully happens apart from the Superbird taking me out at the corkscrew as I lap him (again) - thanks! I pit on lap 68 for tyres and 10 litres of fuel just to make sure. I exit the pits +1:38.332 ahead of the Corvette having now lapped the third place Z28 who has the IROC-Z in close company.

Laps 69 to 80:
At least now I have a new mission - lapping the Corvette! So I start my chase and lap by lap the gap closes. On lap 72 I hit my fastest lap of the race 1:42.129 (so close to a 1:41.xxx!) and on lap 79 I achieve my goal of lapping the entire field.

Laps 81 to 90:
The Corvette keeps me honest but I manage to maintain a 3 to 5 second gap. By lap 84 my tyres are dropping off again and he's all over me. I manage to hold my lines and nerve until lap 88 when he just has too much grip compared to me and breezes past at turn 6. I don't do too bad a job at holding on to him but finish the race just 5 seconds shy of lapping him - but I take this easy win regardless. :D

Finishing time was 2:38:10.066 with a margin of almost a lap from the Corvette (C3), IROC-Z and Camaro Z28. Fastest lap: 1:42.129 on lap 72.

Finishing order:
1. Me
2. Corvette Convertible (C3) '69 ------------ +1:39.334 (F/L: 1:41.879)
3. Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88 ------------- +1 lap (F/L: 1:43.091)
4. Camaro Z28 Coupe '97 ------------------- +1 lap (F/L: 1:43.238)
5. Charger 440 R/T '70 ---------------------- +1 lap (F/L: 1:44.043)
6. Cougar XR-7 '67 -------------------------- +2 lap (F/L: 1:43.815)
7. Chevelle SS 454 '70 ----------------------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:46.059)
8. Camaro SS '00 ----------------------------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:44.706)
9. Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71 --------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:46.129)
10. Superbird '70 ----------------------------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:46.219)
11. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71 ------------------- +6 lap (F/L: 1:49.662)
12. Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07 ---- +6 lap (F/L: 1:49.233)

Conclusion
I think these two runs show just how hard it is to get the balance right for this race. Perhaps I was unlucky in the first run and if I tried again on SM tyres the faster cars might get held up better as in the second run. I think had I run SM tyres in the second run then I would have a had a shout at victory, especially through the pitstops. But it's amazing that the only differences between the runs were the tyres and a change of pit strategy to deal with them - and look at the very different results!

On another note, I am getting tired of how the AI behaves in races. Too many times now I've been taken out whilst lapping cars and I haven't even been aggressive or too banzai in my approach. I'm not one to go moaning on about PD and any shortcomings in the game, but they really do need to look at this behaviour. It's one thing when you're fighting wheel-to-wheel but if you're considerably faster and lapping someone for the fourth time then I can't believe it's that difficult to programme them to yield. This game needs a proper flag system! ;)

Last edited:

Finishing order(2nd Run):
1. Me

Nice runs with the BMW Z4 axletramp!

I'm very surprised by the difficulty you had with the 2000 Camaro SS during the first 50 laps of your second race. In all my runs against this grid (lineup # 13), the 2000 Camaro SS is just a dog and goes a lap down by lap # 50.

Its also pretty surprising that the '97 Camaro Z28 Coupe drops out of first place so early in your race. In all my runs against the '97 Camaro Z28 Coupe, he takes to the point from the start of the race, and he doesn't give up the position until a few laps before his 1st pit-stop, and sometimes he doesn't give up 2nd place until the 2nd pit-stop sequence.

I guess it goes to show the variation in race pace that the AI will exhibit even though we are running against the same grid.

I'm currently on my third run against lineup # 13 with a FF car, and finding that I'm battling the '97 Camaro Z28 for the first half of the race. I've just re-started the race after lowering the PPV since I finished my earlier attempt with a margin of nearly a lap, so it will be another day or so before we get my results.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll double check my replay on that. It may well be I confused the Z28 for the SS '00. If so I'll update my report.

I'm finding this race far more tricky to make competitive than other endurances. I either under power/tune my cars and get hammered or I over compensate and win by a lap or more. Sometimes the difference between the two can be as little as 30-40PP or SM over SH tyres! I'll be attempting a low PP run in a 70's FR car next. Let's hope I get this one a little closer...

Edit: OK, just checked my replay and I had mixed up my Camaros in my last report - massive brainfade! :dunce: Thanks to GTSail290 for spotting that and I've now updated my report with the correct Camaros.

I have also just completed a new run with the BMW 2002 Turbo ’73, which turned out to be a close one, at last! ;) Report to follow...

Last edited:
The run reported below followed a series of set up and tuning tests plus an aborted run on sports medium tyres at 389PP which didn't work out. I chose the little Beemer due to it's weight, FR layout and tuning potential. I also wanted to see how a 70's chassis would compare to more contemporary machinery. I based my set up on a Praiano63 tune with the intention of running on the SM tyres and tuned her to run fast 1:43.xxx's and consistent 1:44.xxx's in practice. However, once I started the race it was quiet apparent that these tyres weren't up to the scrapping needed to compete in the opening stint. So I quit, put on some sports soft tyres and adjusted my game plan. This time I would use the extra grip to get as close as I could to the front early on and pit somewhere near lap 30 so that I was running at my optimum pace when the AI's tyres were failing. Then I would (hopefully) be able to stretch my next two stints out once I had gained the lead, especially on a lighter fuel load. OK, let's see how that plan panned out...

Car: BMW 2002 Turbo '73
HP: 171
PP: 390
Weight: 1091Kg
Mods: See Below
Power Level: 95%
Tyres: SS

^ This was the set up for my first run. The successful run (below) used sports soft tyres and the Performance Points had gone up to 390.

Grid #13:
1. Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
2. Superbird '70
3. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
4. Charger 440 R/T '70
7. Me
8. Chevelle SS 454 '70
9. Camaro SS '00
12. Cougar XR-7 '67

Laps 1 to 5:
And we're off... and dang, I'm slow on the straight! I get passed by three cars before the turn but manage to get back into 6th at the exit. Plenty of drifty understeer on cold tyres but I'm up to 5th by the Corkscrew. That's as far as my skinny cold tyres will get me and I cross the line at the end of lap one -7 seconds down in 5th. I spend the next four laps slowly closing down on the cars ahead (although the leading Z28 is slightly pulling away). By the end of lap 5 I've passed the Corvette, Superbird and IROC-Z to be -9 secs down in 3rd.

Laps 6 to 10:
I'm finding that four wheel drifting through the corners makes for faster progress and I stay in touch with the Z28. I'm right with the Charger 440 in second place and gaining slowly. Tyres aren't looking too bad considering how much she likes to slide around. I end lap ten -10 secs down still in 3rd. Fastest lap so far 1:44.517.

Laps 11 to 20:
I finally pass the Charger 440 as he brakes too early for the Corkscrew - once again, the final section of this lap is where I'm considerably faster than the AI, which is good as I'm barely breaking 100mph on the straights. No mistakes so far but plenty of black tyre marks now and again as the back end is starting to feel a little looser. End lap 20 -13 secs down in 2nd, Z28 has dropped from 1:43.xxx's to 1:45.xxx's.

Laps 21 to 28:
My lap times are dropping off now and I've still got 10 laps or so before I pit. :scared: Still matching the Z28 on pace but finding grip is getting harder and harder. By lap 27 my grip suddenly goes which is not as progressive as I'm used to. I pull a 1:48.348 and the Z28 a 1:45.485 so it's time to come in if I'm to get anything from this. I pit -18 seconds down in 2nd at the end of lap 28 for new SS tyres and no fuel. The Charger 440 is now only 8.5 secs behind me with the IROC-Z just a second behind him and the Corvette less than a second behind him.

Laps 29 to 40:
Right, lap 28 is a little earlier than I would have hoped but I'm optimistic that low fuel and less pressure later will mean I can have a long final stint. For now I need to push on and maximise my grip advantage as the AI go into there low grip phase. I have a gentle couple of laps as this car really doesn't like cold tyres and I don't want to wear them too early. Once the full grip comes on lap 30 I realise I have about 4 or 5 laps to really hit the leaders and take advantage. The Z28 is in the 1:46/1:47.xxx zone and the others a second down on that, so I need to be hitting solid 1:43.xxx's. Gulp! Lap 31 I hit 1:45.103 and catch and pass the Corvette. The Charger 440 pits promoting me to 3rd. On lap 32 I hit 1:44.554 and pass the IROC-Z without losing too much time - I need more but understand the overtaking is slowing me a little. Despite that I've managed to slash the lead to 25 seconds.

The Z28 pits ahead on lap 36 (that's late?) and I go through to take the lead and start to hit regular 1:43.xxx's now I'm in clear air. I end lap 40 +50 secs ahead but now out of pit sequence and aware that I've got to make my tyres last.

Laps 41 to 45:
On lap 40 I hit my fastest lap of the race of 1:43.050 and slightly open the gap to the Z28 who's only pulling 1:45.xxx's at present. By the halfway point on lap 45 the Z28 is matching me and I end the lap +52 secs ahead. The Corvette is now 3rd and only about 10 secs behind the Z28. The 4th placed Charger 440 is battling with the IROC-Z.

Laps 46 to 50:
I just keep plugging away and keeping an eye on the gap. By lap 50 my tyres are starting to go off and I've dropped into the 1:45.xxx zone. The Z28 is the same but the Corvette has finally woken up and is pulling 1:42/1:43.xxx's and gaining fast. I end the lap +50 secs ahead.

Laps 51 to 57:
I have no option but to keep going on these tyres as far as I dare so I have at least some rubber to defend with come the final laps. My lap times drop from 1:45.xxx's to 1:49.xxx's as I start to struggle and have to drift more and more to keep my lap times up. After 29 laps on these tyres I finally pit on lap 57 for SS rubber and no fuel as I have just over a third of a tank left. My lead is down to +44 secs but more importantly the Corvette is now only 6 seconds down on the Z28 and as a consequence his lap times are now up in the 1:44.xxx region.

Laps 58 to 70:
I decide on a change of approach here. I hold a lead of +20 seconds so decide to take it a little easier on these tyres as the Corvette and Z28 will still be on better tyres come the end of the race. I can afford to drop some time as a sacrifice for grip later on. I've even decided to let anyone through who catches me as dueling is not good for tyre preservation. So rather than scrubbing off speed whilst drifting through the fast corners (the faster option), I'm now braking later and keeping the brake on as I turn in. This leads to less tyre squeal and scrubbing but loses me about a second a lap. It certainly works and my tyres are hardly wearing in comparison to my more banzai approach earlier.

My lead drops to about +8 secs until lap 69 when the Corvette pits followed by the Z28 the following lap. I've not gone faster than 1:45.222 in this period but hold a lead of +47 seconds at the end of lap 70 from the Corvette and Z28 who are 6.5 seconds apart in 2nd and 3rd respectively. The IROC-Z is now a distant 4th and Charger 440 in 5th. Everyone else has been lapped at least once.

Laps 71 to 80:
So here we go. The Corvette and Z28 have pitted very late so will have good pace right to the end. I've got to run for 33 laps on the final set, but at least I've started well and the tyre graphics look about where they should be for 28/29 laps. Still, I know my grip will be dropping off from lap 80-odd onwards. Hold on to your hats people, this could be close! Please don't spin, please don't spin...

By lap 75 the Corvette is running 1:42.xxx's with the odd 1:41.xxx dropped in for fun. The Z28 is in the 1:43.xxx's and I'm in the 1:44.xxx's still using my more conservative driving style. By lap 80 my lead has eroded to +24 seconds - sweaty palm time!

Laps 81 to 90:
I just concentrate on not making mistakes and keeping clear of back markers intent on screwing me up - yes, I'm looking at you Mr Superbird! By lap 83 my tyres are starting to go so I have no option but to resort to my old drifting style to keep up the speed through the faster corners (typically corners 4, 5, 6 & 10). It also helps with understeer. Then I get a lucky break by catching and passing a gaggle of about 5 back markers including the Cuda 440, SS '10 and a few others. Once I clear them without too much problem I just watch the gap to see how the rapidly advancing Corvette deals with them. He doesn't fare so well as I was only +12 secs ahead when we caught them and now on lap 85, as he finally gets past, my lead is up to +18 secs.

As we start lap 86 I'm lapping in about 1:48.xxx but the Corvette has only just lapped in 1:46.xxx, so his tyres must be fading as well. The final four laps follow a familiar pattern and I manage not to make any major mistakes even though any slight error leaves me struggling for rear end grip. By the final lap he's not gaining any more and I manage to cross the line +11.5 seconds ahead with the Corvette just exiting the final corner. Phew... and wow, for a while it looked like I wasn't going to make it.

^ And we cross the line! You can just make out the white Corvette in the background.

Finishing time was 2:37:24.083 with a margin of +11.566 seconds from the Corvette (C3), Camaro Z28 and Camaro IROC-Z. Fastest lap: 1:43.050 on lap 40.

Finishing order:
1. Me
2. Corvette Convertible (C3) '69 -------------- +11.556 (F/L: 1:41.778)
3. Camaro Z28 Coupe '97 --------------------- +50.942 (F/L: 1:43.172)
4. Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88 ---------------- +1:16.139 (F/L: 1:42.739)
5. Charger 440 R/T '70 ------------------------- +1 lap (F/L: 1:44.053)
6. Cougar XR-7 '67 ----------------------------- +1 lap (F/L: 1:43.816)
7. Camaro SS '00 ------------------------------- +2 lap (F/L: 1:44.995)
8. Superbird '70 -------------------------------- +2 lap (F/L: 1:46.159)
9. Chevelle SS 454 '70 ------------------------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:46.380)
10. Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71 --------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:45.716)
11. Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07 ------ +4 lap (F/L: 1:49.018)
12. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71 --------------------- +4 lap (F/L: 1:49.664)

Conclusion
Quite tough not to make any mistakes as this 70's BMW isn't as stable under throttle as it's more contemporary FR equivalents. It also has a tyre 'cliff' which comes in after about 27/28 laps when the tyres are at about 33% wear. The two different driving styles worked well in combination - being able to dab-and-drift for fast laps and then turn-and-brake to save tyres gave me more of a strategy to work with.

This grid #13 run was considerably faster than my last one which, going by my replay, is probably due to me not getting into the lead in the first stint allowing the Z28 to make merry up front. Even the eventual 2nd placed Corvette didn't catch him until 2/3rds distance. It might be worth noting that both the Corvette (35/69) and Z28 (36/70) pitted later than previous runs giving them both a stronger finish. The Corvette was running observed averages as follows: Laps 1 to 35 - 1:45.xxx / Laps 36 to 69 - 1:43.xxx / Laps 70 to 90 1:42.xxx with a tail off in the last couple of laps. Also, the Mustang didn't finish last for once. :dopey:

Edit: And oh, I've worked out why the Superbird is included in this grid. His modus operandi is to get lapped and then spend the rest of the race trying to take out the leader by means of ramming, side-swiping and unpredictable movements in the braking zones! ;)

Last edited:
Congratulations on another of those special, edgy, sweaty-palmed performances which results in a famous victory, axletramp! :cheers:
It's particularly admirable that you've done it in the iconic but elderly BMW sports sedan, matching some of those cars on the grid for age!

For the last two weeks I've been 100% focusing on preparing my race kart for my 2012 season starting May 5 at Grass Valley, Oregon. But now that you've set the cat amongst the pigeons with your emphatic sub-400PP run, I'll be setting down my paint and spanners and rushing to the G27 to see what I can do in reply. :)

Respectfully,
Steve

Car: BMW 2002 Turbo '73

Finishing time was 2:37:24.083 with a margin of +11.566 seconds from the Corvette (C3), Camaro Z28 and Camaro IROC-Z. Fastest lap: 1:43.050 on lap 40.

Finishing order:
1. Me
2. Corvette Convertible (C3) '69 -------------- +11.556 (F/L: 1:41.778)
3. Camaro Z28 Coupe '97 --------------------- +50.942 (F/L: 1:43.172)
4. Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88 ---------------- +1:16.139 (F/L: 1:42.739)
5. Charger 440 R/T '70 ------------------------- +1 lap (F/L: 1:44.053)

Nice run with the '73 BMW axletramp!

You really ran into a fast grid # 13 lineup. The '69 Corvette that you took down is waaay faster than the one I've been battling.

This lineup # 13 has three fairly equal AI at the front of the grid, but the over-all race time varies between each race by quite a bit.

Respectfully,
GTsail

I agree. It's quite noticable in my BMW Z4 runs where in the first aborted attempt the Corvette and Z28 were chasing me down within the first five laps, whereas in the second run the Corvette didn't hit second place and start running his fast laps until around lap 50-55! I think this is why this race is difficult to plan for even when you select the most competitive grid.

I think I might try a MR next against one of the rabbit grids, even the evil looking grid #10 with the Corvette ZO6 (C5) '04 in 1st, the Camaro SS' 10 in 2nd and a Viper lurking down the field. I'll need to up the PP for that though.

Time for some FWD action!

I pull out my trusty Honda Integra Type R DC5 '04 (in white livery), and have my pit crew perform their usual tuning magic. After extensive spanning my Integra has the following spec's:

Horsepower: 232
Weight: 1330 (150 kg of ballast)
PP value: 424
Tires: SH (used throughout the race)
P.Limiter: 85.9%
No skid

Lineup # 13 is still my favorite, so the usual AI suspects are on the grid:
----------
1) Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
2) Superbird '70
3) Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
4) Charger 440 R/T '70
5) Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
6) Mustang V8 GT Coupe Prem '07
7) GTsail in the Integra
8) Chevelle SS 454 '70
9) Camaro SS '00
10) Corvette Convertible C3 '69
11) Charger SuperBee 426 Hemi '71
12) Cougar XR-7 '67

The flag drops and we're off again!

I drive thru the field on lap # 1 and end the lap in 4th place, 6.1 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28 Coupe.

On lap # 2, I pass the 3rd place Superbird '70 and end the lap 6.3 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

On lap # 3, I set an early lap record of 1.43.776 and end the lap still 6 seconds behind the 1st place '97 Camaro Z28.

On lap # 6, I catch and pass the 2nd place Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70 and end the lap 7.4 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

On lap # 8, I set a new lap record of 1.43.048 and end the lap 6.5 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

After 15 laps, I'm still in 2nd place, but only 2.8 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28 after a 1.44.824 lap.

At the end of lap # 17, the race leading '97 Camaro Z28 catches and passes the 12th place Mustang V8 GT Coupe. I'm still about 3 seconds back as we begin lap # 18.

On lap # 18, I catch and pass the 12th place Mustang V8 GT Coupe at the same time as the race leading '97 Camaro Z28 passes the 11th place Cuda 440 Six Pack.

I also catch and pass the 11th place Cuda 440 Six Pack just as I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 19, now some 4 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

After 20 laps, I'm only 2 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28 after a decent 1.45.171 lap.

At the end of lap # 24, I almost reach the rear-bumper of the 1st place '97 Camaro Z28, so I end the lap only 0.782 seconds behind the '97 Camaro after a 1.46.612 lap. My lap times have started to increase due to my worn tires, but since the '97 Camaro has also slowed due to his worn tires, this isn't a problem.

At the end of lap # 29, the 1st place '97 Camaro Z28 slows a bit just as we are about to catch the 10th place Dodge Charger Super Bee 426, so I drive past and take over the race lead. I also pass the 10th place Dodge Charger Super Bee going thru turn # 11. I end the lap with a 0.404 second lead over the '97 Camaro Z28. I estimate that we have a 25 second lead over the 3rd place Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70, who is holding up the 4th place IROC-Z Camaro Concept.

At the end of lap # 30, I pass the 9th place Camaro SS '00 and the 8th place Chevelle SS 454 '70 who dives into the pits at the end of his 29th lap.

Lap # 31 takes 1.47.708, and I end the lap with a 2.1 second lead over the '97 Camaro Z28.

On lap # 31, I catch and pass the 7th place Superbird '70 and end the lap with a 3.5 second lead over the '97 Camaro Z28.

At the end of lap # 33, I pit for a new set of SH tires and 17 liters of fuel with a 7.7 second lead over the '97 Camaro Z28. While I'm in the pits the 2nd place '97 Camaro drives past and drops me into 2nd place. The 3rd place '69 Corvette Convertible (who has recently taken over 3rd place from the IROC-Z Camaro Concept due to the pit-stop exchange) is at least 45 seconds further back, so he doesn't catch me during my pit stop.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 34, I see that I've fallen 20 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

The '97 Camaro Z28 pits at the end of lap # 34, so as I begin lap # 35, I take over the race lead. At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 35, I get the news that I have a 38 second lead over the '97 Camaro Z28.

After 40 laps, my lead over the '97 Camaro Z28 has grown to 43 seconds.

After 45 laps, my lead over the '97 Camaro Z28 has grown to 45 seconds.

After 50 laps, my lead has grown to 48 seconds over the '97 Camaro.

On lap # 52, I catch and pass the 8th place Dodge Charger Super Bee 426.

On lap # 53, I catch and pass the 7th place Chevelle SS 454 '70.

After 55 laps, my lead over the '97 Camaro Z28 has increased to 54 seconds.

On lap # 57, I catch and pass the 6th place Cougar XR-7 '67.

On lap # 59, I catch and pass the 5th place Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70.

After 60 laps, my lead over the '97 Camaro Z28 has increased to 56 seconds.

At the end of lap # 66, I pit for a new set of SH tires and 15 liters of fuel with a 60 second lead over the 2nd place '97 Camaro Z28.

At the second checkpoint on lap # 67, I get the news that my lead over the '97 Camaro Z28 has been reduced to 34 seconds.

The 2nd place '97 Camaro Z28 pits at the end of lap # 69, which allows the IROC-Z Camaro Concept to take over 2nd place in the race.

After 70 laps, my lead over the IROC-Z Camaro Concept is up to 64 seconds (this margin is the high-water mark for the race).

After 75 laps, my lead over the IROC-Z Camaro Concept has shrunk a little to 62 seconds, as my tires start to go off and the IROC-Z Camaro starts to run some fast laps.

After 80 laps, my lead over the IROC-Z Camaro Concept is down to an even 60 seconds.

After 85 laps, I still have a 60 second lead over the IROC-Z Camaro.

At the last checkpoint on lap # 90, I have a 60.046 second lead over the IROC-Z Camaro Concept.

I cross the Finish line after 2 hours, 38 minutes, and 47.309 seconds, and earn another trophy!

Finishing order:
---------------
1) GTsail's Honda Integra
2) IROC-Z Camaro Concept------60 seconds back
3) '69 Corvette Convertible---61 seconds back
4) '97 Camaro Z28-------------70 seconds back
5) Charger 440 R/T------------1 lap down
6) Cougar XR-7 '67------------1 lap down
7) Camaro SS '00--------------3 laps down
8) Chevelle SS 454------------3 laps down
9) Charger Super Bee----------3 laps down
10) Superbird '70-------------3 laps down
11) Cuda 440 Six Pack---------5 laps down
12) Mustang V8 GT-------------5 laps down

Post race notes:
----------------
I had a great battle with the '97 Camaro Z28 for the first 30 laps of the race. After that the AI in the '97 Camaro Z28 starts to fade and I'm really just in the cruise mode. The '69 Corvette and the IROC-Z Camaro start to pick up the pace during their last stint with low fuel, but its too late for them to make much of a difference. I think I'm going to re-run this race with slightly less PP and see if I can cause the outcome to be more in doubt.

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Thanks for this latest run. You're a braver man than me to run on SH tyres. Whenever I attempt it it generally goes wrong, but in my defence I do like to keep the PP level as low as possible. I'm more of a 'use SS tyres and risk the extra pit stop' sort of guy. :D

I'm more of a 'use SS tyres and risk the extra pit stop' sort of guy. :D

I would concur that SS tires and an extra pit stop is a strategy that allows lower PP values to be attained. A pit stop at Laguna Seca (tires and <15 liters fuel) costs only about 21 seconds, so assuming an advantage of >1 second/lap over 30 laps, it is mathematically clear that SS tires are the way to go. By then lowering the PP, the advantage is compounded by less power allowing less tire wear and increased fuel mileage ensuring no excess time is lost adding fuel on a pit stop.

For fun, I scouted a new grid where the quickest AI, the dreaded '69 Corvette Stingray Convertible, starts a lowly 11th.

Toyota GT 86 '12
Horsepower: 178
Weight: 1422kg
PP value: 384
Tires: SS
P.Limiter: 85%

Total time: 2:37:48.xxx
MoV: One full lap over the Stingray '69 (FL 1:41.915) The SRT4 was 3rd (FL 1:42.793), with only one pit stop on lap 60
Fastest Lap: 1:42.318

Alternate Grid #4
1. Prowler '03
2. Mustang GT '05
3. Corvette Z06 '00
4. Dodge SRT4 '03
5. Camaro SS '00
6. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
7. Dotini/GT 86 '12
8. Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi
9. Corvette Coupe '63
10. Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07
11. Corvette Stingray Convertible '69
12.Camaro SS '69

Abbreviated race description:
Lap 1: Drop one position at start, but move up to 1st place with a blistering lap of 1:49.056 :crazy:
Lap 2: '69 Stingray is 9th
Lap 4: Checking out from the pack with a time of 1:42.846. The Stingray is 8th.
Lap 10: The Stingray is 5th, with a time of 1:42.194.
LAP 29: Pit with <45% on the right front. I retain the lead. Stingray is 4th.
Lap 33: The Prowler pits from 2nd.
Lap 34: The '69 Stingray pits, but foolishly spends an extra half minute filling his tank to the brim :dunce:
Lap 41: The Z06, having inherited 2nd, pits. The SRT4 is now 2nd, not having pitted, and for the next 12 laps, nobody can get around him!
Lap 53: The '69 Stingray finally finds a way past the FWD Dodge SRT4.
Lap 60: I pit for new SS tires. The SRT4 pits, but takes off without waiting for fuel.

Finish Order:
1. Me in Toyota GT 86 '12
2. '69 Stingray, -1 lap
3. SRT4, -1
4. Z06, -1
5. Prowler, -1
6. Camaro SS '69, -1
7. Dodge Charger Super Bee, -3
8. Camaro SS '00, -3
9. Mustang GT '05, -5
10. Corvette '63, -5
11. Cuda 440 Six Pack, -6
12. Mustang V8 GT Coupe, -6

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
.....For fun, I scouted a new grid where the quickest AI, the dreaded '69 Corvette Stingray Convertible, starts a lowly 11th.

Nice work Dotini!

Of course, what I really want is to have the "dreaded" '69 Corvette Convertible fail tech inspection and be relegated to the pits (along with the two fast Camaro's). Perhaps replaced by a Buick GNX '87, the Ford Taurus SHO and the Pontiac Tempest LeMans!

GTsail

Last edited:
Great run. Damn that GT 86 and its superhuman abilities! *shakes fist*

My friend Blair, a fellow Boeing engineer and kart racer, has recently purchased one - the Subaru version. He will be taking delivery fairly soon, so we shall see if it really is as supernatural as its GT5 model.

Although Blair is well into his forties and realizes he's just purchased a "boy racer" as they're called, I think he plans on taking it to track days at the local circuits. We have a number of them nearby. I'm sure he'll let me have a crack at it.

This is his video of us in the Laguna Seca kart race of last year. I'm in #10, starting 21st and finishing first overall in the A-Main, with an FL of 1:45.795 - with a nearly stock CR80 Honda dirt bike motor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pebiuO2Cvg

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Fantastic video! 👍 Forgive my ignorance, but aren't there any regulations regarding seating positions, length, covered wheels, etc. or were you running in a different class (in so many ways)? And did I spot a venturi at the back?

1:45.796! Nice. :D

Fantastic video! 👍 Forgive my ignorance, but aren't there any regulations regarding seating positions, length, covered wheels, etc. or were you running in a different class (in so many ways)? And did I spot a venturi at the back?

1:45.796! Nice. :D

Blair and I were running "laydown" chassis, the specs of which are covered in the IKF tech manual. We are allowed to lay down, obviously, have covered wheels, have more length, less width and aero devices such as wings and venturi. Also, we were running 80cc 6-speed motors, as opposed to the 125cc TaGs with clutches that most of the others were running, plus about 20-30lbs more weight.

Other than the annual superkart event, there had not been a club level kart race at Laguna Seca for many, many years. We towed down from Seattle for the (3) 20 minute "heats". My lap of 1:45 was conservative, as I did not wish to go all that way, then spin out like my buddy Blair did! I was informed by the track manager that a European pro driver had gone 1:28 in a superkart in private testing a few months earlier.

I can assure you it was a memorable event. It's only a few who can say they've won a race - however humble - at the famous Monterey peninsula circuit. The trophy has a special place on my mantle. :D

Respectfully,
Steve

Even though I just had a nice race with my Honda Integra (see post # 43 above) its wasn't as close a finish as I would like.

So its back to the tuning garage for a little de-tuning action.
After some more wrenching, my Honda Integra Type R DC5 '04 has the following spec's:

Horsepower: 230
Weight: 1350 (170 kg of ballast)
PP value: 422
P.Limiter: 85.2%
No skid

I haven't actually left my previous race grid, so sitting on the Laguna Seca starting line are the exact same AI drivers and cars as before (grid # 13):
---------------------
1) Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
2) Superbird '70
3) Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
4) Charger 440 R/T '70
7) GTsail in the Integra
8) Chevelle SS 454 '70
9) Camaro SS '00
12) Cougar XR-7 '67

The flag drops and we're off again!

I drive thru the field on lap # 1 and end the lap in 4th place, 5.4 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28 Coupe.

On lap # 2, I pass the 3rd place Superbird '70 and end the lap 5.5 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

On lap # 3, I pass the 2nd place Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70 and end the lap 5.1 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

On lap # 5, I set an early lap record of 1.43.667 and end the lap 5.2 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

I set another early lap record of 1.43.662 on lap # 7.

On lap # 10, the "dreaded" '69 Corvette Convertible passes the Dodge Charge 440 R/T and takes over 3rd place in the race about 7 seconds behind me. At the end of lap # 10, I'm about 3 seconds behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

At the end of lap # 15, I'm only 1 second behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28, and I'm about 2.5 seconds ahead of the "dreaded" '69 Corvette, who is now lapping Laguna Seca about one second a lap faster than me and is running us down.

On lap # 17, the 3rd place '69 Corvette reaches my rear-bumper as I start to brake for the corkscrew. He drops back a bit as we go thru the corkscrew and turns nine and ten. At the end of lap # 17, the 1st place '97 Camaro Z28 has almost caught the 12th place Mustang V8 GT Coupe.

On lap # 18, the 1st place '97 Camaro Z28 passes the Mustang V8 GT. I'm following the '97 Camaro closely, so I pass the 12th place Mustang V8 GT as well as we go thru turn # 4. The 3rd place '69 Corvette is close behind, so he passes the Mustang as well going thru turn # 5. Just before the end of the lap, we all pass the 11th place Cuda 440 Six Pack as well.

After 20 laps, I'm still only 1 second behind the race leading '97 Camaro Z28.

At the end of lap # 25, the '97 Camaro Z28 slows a bit going thru turn # 11, the final hairpin, so I drive on past and take over the race lead. At the end of the lap I have a 0.332 second lead over the '97 Camaro Z28.

On lap # 26, the "dreaded" '69 Corvette Convertible passes the '97 Camaro Z28 and takes over 2nd place in the race. At the end of the lap, I have a 2 second lead over the '69 Corvette.

At the end of lap # 29, I catch and pass the 10th place Camaro SS '00 and the 9th place Dodge Charger Super Bee 426.

On lap # 30, I pass the 8th place Chevelle SS 454 and cross the S/F line to begin lap # 31 side-by-side with the 7th place Superbird '70. The Superbird gives my door a shot as we go thru turn one, but I battle back and complete the pass going thru turn # 2. I have a 2.4 second lead over the '69 corvette at this point. He's been slowed down just a bit by the back-markers.

The Cougar XR-7 '67 pits at the end of lap # 33, and comes out of the pits just in front of me as I begin lap # 34. My tires are pretty well shot, so I can't catch the Cougar XR-7 during the lap.

At the end of lap # 34, I enter the pits for a new set of SH tires and 18 liters of fuel with a 2 second lead over the '69 Corvette. The '69 Corvette follows me into the pits. After 15 seconds or so, the 3rd place '97 Camaro Z28 joins us in the pits, so he drives past me just as I'm getting dropped off my jacks. The '97 Camaro Z28 stops in his pit stall just as I begin to move again.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 35, I get the news that I have a 28 second lead over the '69 Corvette Convertible. The '97 Camaro Z28 is in 3rd, the Dodge Charger 440 R/T is in 4th, and the IROC-Z Camaro Concept is in 5th place. The '69 Corvette Convertible lost a ton of time during his first pit stop. He must have topped off his fuel tank. He lost about 25 seconds in the pits.

I set a new lap record of 1.43.331 on lap # 38, and end the lap with a 21.6 second lead over the '69 Corvette who is driving very fast at this point.

On lap # 41, I set another lap record of 1.43.229, and end the lap with a 20.2 second lead over the '69 Corvette Convertible.

After 46 laps, my lead over the "dreaded" '69 Corvette has shrunk to 13.6 seconds after a 1.43.468 lap.

On lap # 50, I catch and pass both the 2000 Camaro SS and the Superbird '70 and put them a second lap down. At the end of the lap, my margin over the '69 Corvette is down to 10.7 seconds.

On lap # 52, I catch and pass the 8th place Dodge Charger Super Bee 426.

On lap # 53, I catch and pass the 7th place Chevelle Ss 454 and end the lap with a 8.7 second lead over the '69 Corvette.

On lap # 56, I catch and pass the 6th place Cougar XR-7 '67.

On lap # 57, I catch and pass the 5th place Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70. I end the lap with a 8.9 second lead over the '69 Corvette after a 1.45.108 lap.

At the end of lap # 60, I get the news that my lead over the '69 Corvette is down to 6.5 seconds. The '69 Corvette has been having no problems with passing the back-markers, so he keeps eating into my lead every lap.

By the end of lap # 63, my lead over the "dreaded" '69 Corvette is down to 3.9 seconds, after a slow 1.46.412 lap. Yikes! My tires have started to go off, so a pit stop will be needed shortly.

By the end of lap # 66, my lead over the '69 Corvette is down to 1.6 seconds, so I can see him in my mirrors!

After 68 laps, I pit my Integra for another set of SH tires and 14 liters of fuel with a 1.5 second lead over the '69 Corvette. The '69 Corvette follows me into the pits for his last stop as well.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 69, I get the news that I have a 2 second lead over the '69 Corvette, who must have had a very fast pit stop. I guess he didn't need any fuel.

I'm still pushing my Integra, so I set a new lap record of 1.43.023 on lap # 74.

By the end of lap # 75, my lead over the "dreaded" '69 Corvette is down to 1.2 seconds as we both battle past a bunch of back-markers.

After 80 laps, I still have a 1.6 second lead over the '69 Corvette. I keep hoping the the Corvette will get held up by all the back-markers that we pass, but he really doesn't seem to be bothered by them! He seems to be able to drive past them just as easily as myself.

After 85 laps, my lead over the '69 Corvette is down to 1.2 seconds after a decent 1.44.249 lap.

On lap # 90, I pass the Mustang V8 GT Coupe one last time as we go thru turn # 10, so I have a little breathing room over the '69 Corvette as we accelerate up the S/F straight to finish the race.

Total Race time: 2hours, 38min, 35.437 seconds

Finish Order:
--------------
1) GTsail in the Integra
2) '69 Corvette Convertible----1.769 seconds back (BL 1.42.303)
3) '97 Camaro Z28 Coupe-------1min,22.109 secs back (BL 1.43.147)
4) IROC-Z Camaro Concept------1min,37.140 secs back (BL 1.42.709)
5) Charger 440 R/T '70--------1 lap down (Best lap 1.43.982)
6) Cougar XR-7 '67------------1 lap down (Best lap 1.43.831)
7) Camaro SS '00--------------3 laps down
8) Chevelle SS 454------------3 laps down
9) Charger Super Bee 426------3 laps down
10) Superbird '70-------------3 laps down
11) Cuda 440 Six Pack---------5 laps down
12) Mustang V8 GT Coupe-------6 laps down

Post race notes:
----------------
Just a great battle with the '69 Corvette Convertible. I had to push my Integra hard, just about every lap all race long. I didn't have to block the '69 Corvette hardly at all, because the only place he would usually catch me was going down the straight between turn # 4 and turn # 5. So a couple of times I had to make my Integra a little wide going into turn # 5, but otherwise I always had a little margin over the '69 Corvette. This wouldn't have been the case if we weren't passing back-markers the entire race. The back-markers didn't really slow the Corvette down, but at least they kept giving me some breathing room. This race un-folded completely different than the race that I posted just above in post # 43, even though it was against the exact same drivers and cars. A "F.Hooper" was in the '69 Corvette both times, and he drove his Corvette a full minute faster during the 2nd race.

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Awesome close finish, GTsail :bowdown:

As stout a competitor as that '69 'Vette is, perhaps it should be tried for a place on the leaderboard? To date, I don't think we have 60's-70's era American muscle car represented. Who will be first?

Respectfully,
Steve

Wow! And I thought my last run was close. The 'dreaded' Corvette must have been all over you in the final stint. In my last run he was pulling 1:42.xxx laps right up to the last 5 laps or so. He was in clear air though.

.....The 'dreaded' Corvette must have been all over you in the final stint. In my last run he was pulling 1:42.xxx laps right up to the last 5 laps or so....

Yeah, he was! We were both running low to mid 1.43's from lap 70 to lap 85. My lap times didn't fall into the 1.44's until the last five laps. This was somewhat planned. I intentionally pitted on lap # 34 and then on lap # 68, so I would have fresh tires during the last 22 laps since I knew that the '69 Corvette was going to be all over me during my last stint. I would normally run the 30/60 lap tire stints, but when I realized that the "dreaded" '69 Corvette was going to be my main competition (when he passed the Dodge Charger R/T on lap # 10), I extended my early pit stops to have better tires at the end.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
And here it is... :D

This is my first crack at the 'easy' grid #13. I had already decided on the BMW Z4 '03 as it ticked the right boxes and I haven't run this car in an endurance before. I had one in my garage with 45.2 miles on the clock (I can't even remember where I did that) and 417PP. Perfect. For a while I was stuck between tuning her and trying a sub-400PP run or staying stock on SM or SS tyres. I decided to go for the later with this run - the sub-400PP runs can come later. ;)

RUN ONE

Grid #13:
1. Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
2. Superbird '70
3. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
4. Charger 440 R/T '70
7. Me
8. Chevelle SS 454 '70
9. Camaro SS '00
12. Cougar XR-7 '67

Laps 1 to 5:
Fairly decent start but by lap 3, where my tyres should be coming into their optimum, I'm still in 3rd spot and losing a second a lap to the leading IROC-Z and 2nd place Charge R/T. Laps in the region of 1:45.xxx's and already struggling to get used to the extra weight (1365Kg) and understeer compared to previous runs. To compound my problems the Z28 (who had fallen back at the start) and Corvette have broken through the pack and are already chasing me down. I thought this was the 'easy' grid! By lap five I'm 10 secs down from the lead.

Laps 6 to 10:
On lap 6 the Corvette passes the Z28 and latches on to my rear end. I now start the familiar cycle of pulling away in the turns (especially the final sector from the corkscrew) and being caught and battered at the end of the straights. I stay in 3rd but this constant battling is slowing me down and killing my tyres. My lap times are now in the 1:47.xxx/1:48.xxx's due to the fighting. I end lap 10 almost 20 seconds down from 1st.

Laps 11 to 18:
The battling continues as I hold everyone up and continue to drop time to the leaders. Although I'm doing a stirling job of keeping the much faster Corvette and Z28 at bay (just holding my lines and the odd banzai move to stay ahead) I'm already recognising that this might be a lost cause. These sports medium tyres on this car plus the constant fight just aren't working for me. On lap 18 the Corvette finally gets past on the run up to the corkscrew and easily pulls away. My lap times are in the 1:49.xxx's now and I'm over 30 secs down on the leader. Z28 is also banging (literally) on my door.

Laps 19 to 20:
The Z28 gets past on lap 19 and now I can see that these tyres aren't going to get me to 30 laps for a two-stopper. I think about coming in on lap 20 for a three-stopper but with the Corvette and Z28 now scampering away, the maths tell me it's just not going to happen. So I decided to quit as there's nothing to gain here.

RUN ONE: Conclusion
I was fairly confident going into this with a well balanced stock FR car against this grid. What surprised me the most was having the fastest AI car on the grid come barreling through the traffic and attacking me within 6 laps! Judging by previous runs by other members this wasn't to be expected. I think in clear air I would have a much better chance as I could manage the tyres and stay consistently in the 1:44.xxx region. But having to deal with much faster cars so early made that impossible.

But not to be beaten, I decided to change my approach rather than the car. If I couldn't get SM tyres to 30 laps then I might be able to stretch SS tyres to 22 laps and a three stop strategy. The grippier SS tyres could see me hit the front earlier and control things a little better from there - it's a plan! So I slapped on some SS tyres and restarted the race using the same grid #13.

RUN TWO

Details and specs as above except with super soft tyres.

Lap 1:
Off we go again and I manage to slip by up the inside of the first turn and come out in 3rd without any contact altogether! Much more grip now even with cold tyres. I stick firmly to the leading pair and have a decent opening lap ending it only -2 secs down.

Laps 2 to 10:
Feeling much more confident on these tyres. Due to my aborted run I throw caution to the wind to get into the lead and keep away from the Corvette and Z28. From lap 2 onwards I'm into the 1:43.xxx's and I take the lead relatively easily from the Z28 and IROC-Z. Tyres appear to be holding up much better so I keep pushing on to maximise my extra grip and speed - we'll worry about tyre wear later. I keep pulling away and this time it looks like at least the Corvette is stuck in traffic but the Camaro Z28 is comfortably in second and not budging. I end lap 10 +8 secs up in the lead. Fastest lap so far is 1:43:310 on lap 7

Laps 11 to 20:
I just keep consistent and maintain a good pace - so much easier from the front. My lap times are entrenched in the 1:43.xxx's up until around lap 15 when I start to feel my tyres as they go below 50%. Yikes - I've got to get to lap 22 for this to work. Laps 16 to 20 drop into the 1:44.xxx/1:45.xxx region. I've held a steady 8 second gap to the Z28 but even though my times are slowly dropping I'm also dropping him. I finish lap 20 +18 seconds in the lead with no sign of the faster AI cars catching the Z28 in 2nd.

Laps 20 to 22:
I'm still pushing as I need to make up the 25-30 seconds that my extra pit stop will take. My tyres are down to about 30% with two laps before I can stop and they start to fall off quickly now. By the time I pit at the end of lap 22 my lap time is 1:48.xxx and, more importantly, my lead is down to 15 seconds. Not enough to stay in the lead. I take on new tyres and 15 litres of fuel to minimise my pit-in time - tyres are <20% front / 50% rear - fuel down to 60%.

Laps 23 to 30:
I come out about 10 secs down on the now leading Z28 but well ahead of third who's doing a good job of holding up the Corvette. I very quickly catch and pass the Z28 to take the lead on lap 24. That feels good as now we both have two stops to make before the finish. Once again I put the hammer down and manage to break into the 1:42.xxx's. This car is mighty through the corkscrew and with less tyre wear at the rear you can really hammer the throttle without any worries as the weight transfers. I'm leaving everyone for dead through that section, including the Corvette. I end lap 30 +22 seconds ahead. The Camaro Z28 is still in second and now on worn tyres.

Laps 30 to 40:
The AI's all start to pit and I'm still on good tyres. My times are in the 1:43.xxx/1:44.xxx region and I'm constantly pulling away. By lap 40 I'm over a minute ahead and I've lapped everyone up to 4th (IROC-Z). Tyres are a bit dodgy now but I have the luxury of backing off for a bit and stretching them to lap 45.

Laps 41 to 45:
All the AI's are on new tyres now so my lead starts to drop. I pit on lap 45 +52 secs ahead and the Corvette has still not caught and passed the Z28. I take on new SS tyres and no fuel - I'll take a big fill later if I need to.

Laps 46 to 50:
Pressure is right off now so I'm cruising this section of the race and knocking out consistent 1:43.xxx's. I end lap 50 a minute up on second.

Laps 51 to 68:
The Corvette finally catches and passes the Z28 but it's all too late. I just need to make sure my tyres get to lap 68 which, by coincidence, is about the same time everyone else will be making their final stops. Nothing eventfully happens apart from the Superbird taking me out at the corkscrew as I lap him (again) - thanks! I pit on lap 68 for tyres and 10 litres of fuel just to make sure. I exit the pits +1:38.332 ahead of the Corvette having now lapped the third place Z28 who has the IROC-Z in close company.

Laps 69 to 80:
At least now I have a new mission - lapping the Corvette! So I start my chase and lap by lap the gap closes. On lap 72 I hit my fastest lap of the race 1:42.129 (so close to a 1:41.xxx!) and on lap 79 I achieve my goal of lapping the entire field.

Laps 81 to 90:
The Corvette keeps me honest but I manage to maintain a 3 to 5 second gap. By lap 84 my tyres are dropping off again and he's all over me. I manage to hold my lines and nerve until lap 88 when he just has too much grip compared to me and breezes past at turn 6. I don't do too bad a job at holding on to him but finish the race just 5 seconds shy of lapping him - but I take this easy win regardless. :D

Finishing time was 2:38:10.066 with a margin of almost a lap from the Corvette (C3), IROC-Z and Camaro Z28. Fastest lap: 1:42.129 on lap 72.

Finishing order:
1. Me
9. Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71 --------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:46.129)
10. Superbird '70 ----------------------------- +3 lap (F/L: 1:46.219)
11. Cuda 440 Six Pack '71 ------------------- +6 lap (F/L: 1:49.662)
12. Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07 ---- +6 lap (F/L: 1:49.233)

Conclusion
I think these two runs show just how hard it is to get the balance right for this race. Perhaps I was unlucky in the first run and if I tried again on SM tyres the faster cars might get held up better as in the second run. I think had I run SM tyres in the second run then I would have a had a shout at victory, especially through the pitstops. But it's amazing that the only differences between the runs were the tyres and a change of pit strategy to deal with them - and look at the very different results!

On another note, I am getting tired of how the AI behaves in races. Too many times now I've been taken out whilst lapping cars and I haven't even been aggressive or too banzai in my approach. I'm not one to go moaning on about PD and any shortcomings in the game, but they really do need to look at this behaviour. It's one thing when you're fighting wheel-to-wheel but if you're considerably faster and lapping someone for the fourth time then I can't believe it's that difficult to programme them to yield. This game needs a proper flag system! ;)

Excellent write-up! You have put me in the mood ...I will be hitting the Laguna Seca enduro tonight! Thanks for the inspiration!

My friend Blair, a fellow Boeing engineer and kart racer, has recently purchased one - the Subaru version. He will be taking delivery fairly soon, so we shall see if it really is as supernatural as its GT5 model.

Although Blair is well into his forties and realizes he's just purchased a "boy racer" as they're called, I think he plans on taking it to track days at the local circuits. We have a number of them nearby. I'm sure he'll let me have a crack at it.

This is his video of us in the Laguna Seca kart race of last year. I'm in #10, starting 21st and finishing first overall in the A-Main, with an FL of 1:45.795 - with a nearly stock CR80 Honda dirt bike motor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pebiuO2Cvg

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

My goodness ...I had no idea you could race Karts at fullscale race tracks! Looks like great fun and is well worth looking into. Is it costly?

I must say, you GT guys that also do real racing (or laps at the Nordscheiff in normal/modified/tuned cars) are my new heroes. One of these days I will join your ranks!

Great video ...a real eye opener. The only A-Mains I have ever done are with 200mm 1/10 Nitro Powered Touring Cars in Nationals. Time to actually step into a real vehicle ...or at least a Kart now that I know they can do fullscale tracks! Thanks for sharing the vid.

PS: What kind of Kart is the Orange and Black one? Never seen one of those before till now ...

I will be doing this in my recently released Chrysler PT Cruiser SRT4 tune on Sports Hard instead of Soft
THE GRID
1st. GTO 5.7 Coupe
2nd. Mustang GT
3rd. Prowler
4th. GNX
5th. Challenger R/T
6th. Mustang SVT Cobra R
7th. PT Cruiser SRT4
8th. Camaro SS '10
9th. Corvete Z06 (C5) '04
10th. Corvete Z06 (C5) '00
11th. Cuda 440 Six Pack
12th. Camaro SS '69

LAP 1: 4 seconds behind the Cobra Mustang, I turned a 1:55
LAP 2: Picked up 2 seconds on the Cobra, turning a 1:45
LAP 3: Passed the Cobra, but got pitted by the Challenger and managed a 1:52, second to the GTO
LAP 4: Down to 5th behind the Prowler, Challenger, 2010 Camaro and one of the Corvettes after the Camaro forced me off in the Corkscrew, still managed a 1:54 lap time though

Last edited:
I will be doing this in my recently released Chrysler PT Cruiser SRT4 tune on Sports Hard instead of Soft....

LAP 1: 4 seconds behind the Cobra Mustang, I turned a 1:55
LAP 2: Picked up 2 seconds on the Cobra, turning a 1:45
LAP 3: Passed the Cobra, but got pitted by the Challenger and managed a 1:52, second to the GTO
LAP 4: Down to 5th behind the Prowler, Challenger, 2010 Camaro and one of the Corvettes after the Camaro forced me off in the Corkscrew, still managed a 1:54 lap time though

How much horsepower have you given your PT Cruiser?

Do you have sport mediums onboard, just in case you need them at your first pit-stop? You may need them, if you keep getting dumped into the sand by the AI!

The AI can sometimes be overly agressive early in the race. I've had to re-start my race a couple of times after being dumped in the sand by the AI when driving on comfort tires. I think axletramp has had troubles with an overly-agressive Superbird '70.

Good luck
GTsail

OK, its time to try out the new V2.08 tire model at Laguna Seca.

I check out my garage for a new steed, and settle on (you guessed it) another Impreza!

A Premium Silver Metallic Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version '00, that's only been driven once according to the info sheet.

After a bit of tuning by my crack pit-crew, my Impreza has the following spec's:

Horsepower: 252
Weight: 1400 (added 85 kg of ballast after performing the stage 1 Wgt Reduct)
PP value: 435
P.Limiter: 85.0%
No skid

So its off to the Laguna Seca track!

Lineup # 13 is still my favorite, so the usual AI suspects are on the grid:
----------------------
1) Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
2) Superbird '70
3) Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
4) Charger 440 R/T '70
7) GTsail in the Impreza WRX
8) Chevelle SS 454 '70
9) Camaro SS '00
12) Cougar XR-7 '67

The flag drops and we're off!

Coming off the start line, I get swamped by the Chevy Chevelle SS 454 and the Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi, and fall back into 9th place. Going thru turn # 3, I pass the 8th place Chevy Chevelle SS 454. I then pass the 7th place Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe as we exit the corkscrew. I also pass the 6th place Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi as we begin to accelerate up the S/F hill/straight. At the end of the lap, I find myself 8.8 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe after a 1.56.812 lap.

On lap # 2, I pass the 5th place Cuda 440 Six Pack and end the lap 9.1 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 coupe after a 1.45.317 lap.

On lap # 3, I pass the 4th place Superbird '70 and end the lap 9.8 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe after a 1.44.861 lap.

I set a new lap record on lap # 5 of 1.43.418 and end the lap only 9.5 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe.

On lap # 7, I get a good run on the 3rd place Camaro IROC-Z Concept, so I'm able to pass him on the exit from turn # 5.

On lap # 10, I pass the 2nd place Charger 440 R/T '70 as we go thru turn # 10, and I end the lap 10.3 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe.

On lap # 11, I set a new lap record of 1.43.127.

At the end of lap # 15, I see that I'm only 7.5 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe.

Looking ahead at the end of lap # 17, I see that the Camaro Z28 Coupe has caught the 11th and 12th place cars. I guess that this means that the Camaro Z28 is lapping Laguna Seca about 6 seconds a lap faster than the two back-markers.

On lap # 19, I catch and pass the 12th place Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe and put him a lap down. I also catch and pass the 11th place Cuda 440 Six Pack and put him a lap down.

After 20 laps, I see that I'm only 6.1 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe after a decent 1.43.903 lap.

After 25 laps, I'm still 6.1 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe after a 1.43.943 lap.

By the end of lap # 28, I see that I'm only 1.8 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe after a 1.44.154 lap. The leading Camaro Z28 has begun to slow. His tires must be getting somewhat wornout. My tires still seem to be fine. My tire bars still have about 3/4 of their life remaining, so there isn't any need to pit for new tires just yet.

At the end of lap # 30, the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe drives past the 10th place Chevelle SS 454. I'm following closely, so I pass the Chevelle SS 454 as well as we brake for turn # 1 on lap # 31. I'm about 1 second behind the race leading Camaro Z28 at this point.

At the end of lap # 31, the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe drives past the 9th place Camaro SS '00. I'm only 1.1 seconds behind, so I'm able to pass the 2000 Camaro SS as well as we go thru turn # 1 on lap # 32.

On lap # 32, the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe drives past the 8th place Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi as we accelerate towards turn # 6. I pass the Charger Super Bee as well, by taking the inside of turn # 6. I almost touch the rear-bumper of the race leading Camaro Z28 Coups as we brake for the corkscrew.

On lap # 33, the race leading Camro Z28 Coupe drives past the 7th place SuperBird '70 as we accelerate away from turn # 5. I pass the SuperBird '70 going thru turn # 6 by taking the inside line again.

I'm driving thru turn # 4 on lap # 35 when we reach the one hour mark in the race.

At the end of lap # 35, I'm still only 0.8 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe. My tires are still in decent shape with about 2/3rds of their life remaining on the tire bars.

On lap # 37, the race leading Camro Z28 Coupe gets held up by the 12th place Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe, who we've caught again as we get to turn # 5, so I drive around the outside of the Camaro Z28 Coupe as we go thru turn # 5 and take over the lead of the race!!!:) I get a good run thru turn # 6, so I'm able to pass the Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe as we accelerate up the hill towards the corkscrew. At the end of lap # 37, I have a 1.9 second lead over the 2nd place Camaro Z28 Coupe. I also pass the 11th place Cuda 440 Six Pack just as I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 38.

By the end of lap # 40, I have a 8.4 second lead over the 2nd place Camaro Z28 Coupe after a decent 1.44.495 lap.

At the end of lap # 45, I dive into the pits for a new set of SH tires. Looking at the tire bars, I estimate that I've used about 45% of my tires lives. My lead over the 2nd place Camaro Z28 Coupe has grown to a full 15 seconds. The fuel tank indicator says that I have used about 65 liters of fuel so I ask for an additional 40 liters of fuel to get me to the end of the race (the fuel pop-up guide said to add 35 liters, but I put in an extra 5 liters just to be safe). While I'm in the pits, the 2nd place Camaro Z28 Coupe, the 3rd place Camaro IROC-Z Concept and the 4th place Corvette Convertible C3 '69 all drive past and drop me into 4th place in the race.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 46, I see that I've fallen 25.6 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe. Lap # 45 took 2.23.601, which means that I lost about 38 seconds during my pit stop. As I begin to drive up the S/F straight at the end of lap # 46, I see a couple of cars in the pits. They both get underway again before I cross the S/F line, so I know that they are back-markers.

The slower one is the Chevelle SS 454, who I catch and pass on lap # 47 as we go thru turn # 4.

The second back-marker is the Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi, who I don't catch until lap # 48. I pass the Charger Super Bee going thru turn # 10 on lap # 48.

Now that I'm back on fresh tires, I quickly get back into the groove.....

Lap # 48 takes 1.43.898
Lap # 49 takes 1.43.890

At the end of lap # 50, I see two cars in the pits. One of them is the 3rd place Camaro IROC-Z Concept, so I jump up into 3rd place in the race when I pass him just before the end of the lap. The 2nd car in the pits is an unknown back-marker. At the end of lap # 50, I see that I'm only 7.8 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 coupe.

There's actually a third car just leaving the pits. Its the 6th place Cougar XR-7, so he gets spit out from the pit-exit just in front of me as I exit turn # 2 on lap # 51. The Cougar is easily dispatched as we drive thru turn # 3 since he's on cold tires. The Cougar then out-accelerates me coming out of both turn # 3 and coming out of turn # 4, so he actually pulls even with my Impreza WRX, just before we have to brake for each of the next two turns. The Cougar XR-7 falls back for good after I go thru turn # 6 and head up the hill towards the corkscrew (I guess the Cougar was just showing off his acceleration skills, but didn't want to give me any trouble thru the twisty-bits!).

At the end of lap # 51, I can see that the 2nd place Corvette Convertible C3 '69 is heading into the pits for his one and only pit stop (he's within visual sight).

I pass the 2nd place Corvette Convertible C3 as I round turn # 11 and accelerate up the S/F straight at the end of lap # 51. At the end of the lap, I see that I'm only 5.4 seconds behind the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe.

At the end of lap # 52, the race leading Camaro Z28 Coupe enters the pits so as I round turn # 11 and accelerate up the S/F straight, I take over the race lead!!!:)

As I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 54 I get the news that I have a 55 second lead over the 2nd place Camaro IROC-Z Concept. The Corvette Convertible C3 is in 3rd place, and the Camaro Z28 Coupe has fallen back into 4th place. All of the front running AI have taken very long pit stops, which has given me an insurmountable (I hope) lead. Near the end of lap # 54, I pass the Ford Mustang V8 GT again (which I think puts him 3 laps down).

On lap # 56, I catch and pass the 11th place Cuda 440 Six Pack again by driving around the outside of the Cuda as we go thru turn # 6. I'm glad my tires are still fresh or I wouldn't have been able to make the pass without a trip to the beach!!:nervous:

At the end of lap # 57, I almost catch the Camaro SS '00 just before he enters the pits. Its hard to imagine that this is his first pit-stop, but I don't think that its his second, so he must be very gentle on his tires (I will check the replay).

On lap # 59, I set a new lap record of 1.43.092 and end the lap with a 54 second lead over the 2nd place Camaro IROC-Z Concept.

As I begin lap # 60, I pass the 12th place Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe again as he's exiting the pits (I guess he's now 4 laps down!).

On lap # 63, I set a new lap record of 1.42.983 and end the lap with a 53 second lead over the 2nd place Camaro IROC-Z Concept.

At the end of lap # 70, I still have a 54 second lead over the Corvette Convertible C3, who has taken over 2nd place, after a decent 1.43.066 lap.

On lap # 72, I lose over a second of my lead due to a tough/paint removing battle while passing the SuperBird '70.

Near the end of lap # 74, I pass the 8th place Chevelle SS 454 and end the lap with a 50 second lead over the Corvette Convertible C3, who seems to have picked up his pace.

Near the end of lap # 75, I pass the Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe again (I think that this puts him 5 laps down).

On lap # 79, I catch and pass the 7th place Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi and end the lap with a 48 second lead over the 2nd place Corvette Convertible C3.

By the end of lap # 83, my lead is back up to 50 seconds even though my lap was only a 1.44.058. The 2nd place Corvette Convertible C3 must be having problems with the back-markers.

By the end of lap # 89, my lead is back down to 48 seconds after a couple of sloppy laps. Lap # 89 was a decent 1.44.411, but the prior laps were anything but!

Lap # 90 takes 1.45.269 which allows for a nice comfortable WIN!

Total race time was 2 hours, 37 minutes and 46.750 seconds.

Finishing order:
----------------
1) GTsail in the WRX
2) Corvette Convertible-----48 seconds behind, pitted on lap # 51
3) Camaro IROC-Z----------1min and 16 secs behind, pits on lap # 50
4) Camaro Z28 Coupe-------1min and 30 secs behind, pits on lap # 52
5) Charger 440 R/T----------1 lap down, pitted on lap # 47
6) Cougar XR-7--------------1 lap down, pitted on lap # 49
7) Charger Super Bee 426----3 laps down, pitted on lap # 44
8) Chevelle SS 454-----------3 laps down, pitted on lap # 44
9) Camaro SS '00------------3 laps down, pitted on lap # 55
10) SuperBird '70------------3 laps down, pitted on lap # 48
11) Cuda 440 Six Pack-------5 laps down, pitted on lap # 64
12) Mustang V8 GT Coupe---5 laps down, pitted on lap # 55

Post race notes:
-----------------
The first half of the race was a decent and competitive battle against the 3-front runners, however, they all lost too much time in the pits, so after that I was just cruising. Its hard to believe that the Cuda 440 Six Pack didn't need to pit until lap # 64! I guess he was just out for a Sunday drive and barely scuffed his tires!

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Back