FITT Fall Battle 2.0 - Coastal Concept Challenge: Praiano wins!

DigitalBaka

How hard can it be?
Premium
United States
IL, USA
DigitalBaka
DigitalBaka587
FallBattle2012.jpg

Welcome to Fall Battle 2.0! Once again the seasons change and we find ourselves looking at trees of all colors in weather that is becoming chilly as the days go by. Last year around this time we took our droptops out to Autumn Ring for one last fling before the cold hit. This year we will do something different.

This year we are going on a roadtrip. Instead of making do with the cool weather we will defy it. We'll go faster than last year and much more...edgy.

ShootoutSpecs.jpg

For this run we are going conceptual! Concept cars are what the doctor ordered. We'll exclude the race cars and go up to 550PP on Sports Soft tires. I've compiled a listing below of allowable cars. In order to avoid this being a one model race to the top *COUGHS2000COUGH* only two of each particular car may be entered. If Praiano and Desperado have posted tunes for the Land Rover, everyone else is out of luck. It will be first come, first...uh...in. It would be great if everyone could be courteous and let each other know what you plan to enter so we don't run into a problem but, ultimately, first is first. Other restrictions are as below:

• Up to 550PP
  • Ballast is unrestricted
  • Power limiter may be used up to 5%
  • Sports Soft tires or harder
  • Allowable car list:
    Code:
    Not all of these will pass on restrictions, but if you can they are all allowed.

Acura DN-X Concept '02
    Acura HSC Concept '04
    Audi Le Mans quattro '03
    Audi Nuvolari quattro '03
    Audi Pikes Peak quattro '03
    BMW Concept 1 Series tii '07
    Cadillac CIEN Concept '02
    Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
    Chevrolet Silverado SST Concept '02
    Citroën GT by Citroën Concept '08
    Citroën GT by Citroën Road Car '09
    Daihatsu OFC-1 Concept '07
    Dodge Viper GTS R Concept '00
    Dome DOME-ZERO Concept '78
    Honda DUALNOTE Concept '01
    Honda NSX-R Concept '01
    Hyundai Clix Concept '01
    Hyundai HCD6 Concept '01
    Infiniti Coupe Concept '06
    Infiniti FX45 Concept '02
    Isuzu 4200R Concept '89
    Land Rover Range Stormer Concept '04
    Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype CN.0706 '67
    Mazda Atenza Concept '01
    Mazda KUSABI Concept '03
    Mazda MX-Crossport Concept '05
    Mazda Mazda6 Concept '01
    Mazda RX-8 Concept (Type-I) '01
    Mazda RX-8 Concept (Type-II) '01
    Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac '01
    Mitsubishi HSR-II Concept '89
    Mitsubishi i Concept '03
    Nissan GT-R Black Mask
    Nissan GT-R Concept (Tokyo Motor Show 2001)
    Nissan GT-R Proto '05
    Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02
    Pontiac Sunfire GXP Concept '02
    Suzuki CONCEPT-S2 '03
    Suzuki GSX-R/4 Concept '01
    Toyota FT-86 Concept '09
    Toyota FT-86 G SPORTS Concept
    Toyota FT-86 II Concept '11
    Toyota RSC '01
    Volkswagen W12 Nardo Concept '01

ShootoutTrack.jpg

As I said, we're going to defy the weather this year. Pack your bags for a trip to the coast and Cape Ring. A longer track than last year but it has it all: elevation, high speed, tight hairpins and some technical sections to really throw the cars around. If you were going to test a concept, a place like this would be great. We will be running the full course for this!

ShootoutScoring.jpg

From last year, unless anyone wants to bring it back, we will drop the photo poll and stick to just lap time and driver's choice score. We will implement the scoring method used by MCH in the rally shootout with 100 points for the fastest and each slower time a percentage of that. Driver's choice will be worth up to 10 points based on average of test driver scores. Final score will be the sum down to tenths of a point for any possible ties.

ShootoutDeadlines.jpg

• October 4: Event begins
  • October 13: Tunes shared and posted
  • October 24: Round 1 testing times and drivers choice posted
  • October 26: Round 2 tuning done
  • October 28: Round 2 testing times and drivers choice posted
  • October 29: Prizes to begin sending

ShootoutTuning.jpg

As usual we will be testing offline with shared cars. All tuners are responsible for making the appropriate friend requests. Link or post your tune in the thread, share your car and send out FRs to the testers. Please be sure your car has a proper initial break in of 200 miles. I will not enforce any oil change standards but ensure that your car will not be fluctuating in power during testing.

Be aware that because these are concept cars, they are not all created equal. Some will have ridiculous amounts of grip until they have no grip at all and some will have hidden or nonadjustable downforce. That is just the way it is. If you are worried about someone having an "unfair" advantage then this event may not be for you. If you are going to enter make sure you understand this.

ShootoutTesting.jpg

Unless there is some ungodly number of tuners entering I will not be breaking these down into groups. There should be a good variety of cars to run so that will be part of the reward of driving.

EDIT: For tester convenience I have split into two groups, trying to keep similar cars together. Testers may drive either or both groups at their convenience. Only complete group times will count toward final points. The top 3 tunes from both groups will go to round 2. They will be allowed two days to tweak for the same track and the testers will be given two days to run the cars again. Scoring remains the same for both rounds with nothing carried over between.

I am expecting that everyone should be able to run at least 3-5 laps (hopefully closer to 5 or more) with each car. Record your best lap time. I will make no rules about what corners can be cut or walls that can't be hit save that you test each car the same; if you cut a corner in one car, cut it with all of the cars if that is the fastest way around.

Also, give each car up to 10 points for driver's choice. This should not be based solely on what is fast and what is not. You should also account for driving pleasure or difficulty or such. Anything a tune does well or not outside of the lap time can be accounted for with these points.

You may post commentary on each car if you like. It is not required but very appreciated by the tuners and by those browsing through that are not taking part.

ShootoutPrizes.jpg

What would a competition be without prizes? :D I am going to try to hand out as many prizes as possible. I want to give everyone something for their efforts and contributions. If anyone would like to sponsor more prizes please do.

• All Testers: Choice of 150k Premium or 1000 Ticket
  • Fastest Tune (R1, each group): 250K Premium or 1000 Ticket
  • Highest Drivers Choice (R1, each group and R2): 250K Premium or 1000 Ticket
  • 3 Fastest Tunes (R2): 1M (1st), 750K (2nd), 500K (3rd) Premium and 1 choice of 20-24 Ticket
  • Slowest tune: Prius or 2CV
  • Brass Ring: Clueless tuned Honda N360 to the slowest tune

ROUND 2 DETAILS

For round two, the top 3 tuners from each group will have an opportunity to tweak their cars for the final run. In the interest of interest and expedience we will be moving the competition to the south track of Cape Ring. Tuners, please tweak accordingly over the allowed two days. Testers will have an additional two days to run the cars on the Cape Ring South course.

Last edited:
ShootoutTuners.jpg

Group 1

Group 2

ShootoutTesters.jpg

Last edited:
Results!

Google Docs Spreadsheet

Round 1

Group 1 Winners
-Praiano
-krenkme
-ugabugaz

Group 2 Winners
-ACSR
-MCHami
-XDesperado

Round 2 Winners
-Praiano
-krenkme
-XDesperado

Prizes

Fastest Tune (R1, each group): Praiano, MCHami
Highest Drivers Choice (R1, each group and R2): krenkme, XDesperado, krenkme
3 Top Tunes (R2): Praiano (1st), krenkme (2nd), XDesperado (3rd) Premium and 1 choice of 20-24 Ticket
Slowest tunes & Brass Ring (R1, each group and R2): trackripper, Ridox, ACSR

Last edited:
Hmmm…dibs on…argh this is tough. I'm half on the Viper and half on the NSX…can I play the reserve card on both? :lol:

Well we're not gonna do reservations but if you can work it out with your fellow tuners, who are hopefully decent peeps :D, then it should be no prob.

Curious to see how people will react to this new....thing. :mischievous:

Well we're not gonna do reservations but if you can work it out with your fellow tuners, who are hopefully decent peeps :D, then it should be no prob.

Curious to see how people will react to this new....thing. :mischievous:

Fine then…I'll put my neck on the line when I say this…but I'll take the serpent. I.E the Viper. I've already got a tune ready, ain't that right, fishy boy? ;)

No DB, you're not going to die, I'll make sure of that much this time. Assuming I can screw the sufficient amount of power to make the tune work.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with. I know that some of the cars on the list are going to be left out because they probably won't make it up or down far enough to be considered. For example, the Nardo probably won't come down to 550PP and i doubt the OFC-1 will be competitive. :embarrassed:

:grumpy::grumpy:....💡! I may need to use a current tune, and some help from my 10 year old test driver, but someway, somehow I will try and have something for this... I just don't know how yet :nervous::dopey:

Should the Toyota RSC not be included in this? It was shown at 2001 Chicago and was never intended to go into production, and never made it into production. It makes it to 550PP, by the way.

Done, add it. :) If there are any others that I missed feel free to point them out. I thought I had everything but sometimes it's a pain to go through.

Now that I think of it, isn't the CZ-3 Tarmac considered a concept? Can someone confirm that before I go adding it?

EDIT: Nevermind, confirmed that one on my own. :) Let me know if there are more!

Last edited:
Now that I think of it, isn't the CZ-3 Tarmac considered a concept? Can someone confirm that before I go adding it?

Bit of a grey area, it didn't make it into production with 4WD and AYC, but it did make it as a rather sweet little 1500cc FWD, I've used it in non-concept Shootouts. Your event, your call, Sir...

{Cy}

Put me for this : Nissan GT-R Black Mask

The GT-R brothers been hunting my dreams but now ... they will suffer .... frow oversteer! :D

Gonna add it, the more the merrier. :) Adding the GT road car as well, since I would stick it in the same sort of category.

I think you shouldn't. Because the GT Concept ... is the GT concept but again the Road car is the GT Concept petrol version..

True, however, looking at the PP I don't think the concept is going to have anything like any chance in hell of making it under the PP cap. The road car might be close.

Ahhh why so difficult... Must make a choice or else risk losing my choice! Erm...

Instinct tells me Cadillac Cien, as I already have a tune for it, but that would be taking the safe and boring route...

Onboy, you'll kill me for this, but I might take a crack at the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show GTR concept. :P

Looks like I made the wrong choice :scared: Camaro IROC Z'88, this car might not be able to compete with the big boys ... and so far my tunes have been hard to drive by testers:ouch:. The fun part is making the slow car faster:dopey: so why not.

As long as you have fun it doesn't matter where you finish. At least, that has been why I keep doing these. :dopey:

Looks like I made the wrong choice :scared: Camaro IROC Z'88, this car might not be able to compete with the big boys ... and so far my tunes have been hard to drive by testers:ouch:. The fun part is making the slow car faster:dopey: so why not.

Well, that way you improve your experience on tuning and make the car enjoyable for all. :dopey:

As long as you have fun it doesn't matter where you finish. At least, that has been why I keep doing these. :dopey:

Same, I always finished last and I entered this. :dopey:

Btw any chance the car doesn't need to be broken please ? :indiff:

Throwing caution to the wind, I've let my girlfriend decide which car to enter for me, based purely on aesthetics. :P

Acura HSC Concept it is. Anyone got a spare, broken in one to send to me? I don't think mine is broken in, and I don't have time to break it in... :lol:

Last edited:
Btw any chance the car doesn't need to be broken please ? :indiff:

Need to insist that it gets a break in due to the increase in PP during the first few miles. If you can run it overnight in a B-Spec endurance race that is probably the best way to do it hands off. If you want a quick hands on way, run it about 80 laps on the Indy Speedway, either in a race or practice. If you are testing as you are tuning you'll probably get a good chunk of mileage into it anyway. Last resort would be to send it to a buddy to drive for a while or have someone send you a car with the requisite mileage. Speaking of...

Trackripper, my HSC is 0/0 so I am no help. If I find one I will send it your way.

Trackripper, my HSC is 0/0 so I am no help. If I find one I will send it your way.

Well my girlfriend approved 3 cars :lol:: the Cien, the Le Mans quattro, and the HSC, so if anyone has broken in spares of those, please send them my way, I'll trade cars if needs be. Thank you! :)

I'll go have a look at my garage, I think I have some of those cars, not sure how many miles ..

EDIT : Sorry, no dice, I have the HSC, Cien and Nuvolari Quattro, but they have less than 50 miles each :(

Last edited:
I might give the RSC a crack then...if I can enter in the first place at all.

I need to find one first, and then I'm going on a school trip starting tonight...and won't be back till Tuesday. So it's gonna be very tight if I try to enter...

Back