Photomode Photographers Q&A #35 - nanabu

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 379 comments
Great idea Lee, you've come up with a couple of really helpful threads just lately. 👍

To be perfectly honest with you, when you first appeared here in the Photomode Section I thought you came across as somewhat confrontational and argumentative and I wondered how long you would last here before you either left in a huff or was banned. We've seen a few come and go in that fashion. I figured you were probably someone who was a little older than many here and could see that you really did know your photography and took it seriously - you just needed to chill out a little and get into the spirit of the Photomode comps. Happily you did just that and have become a well respected and likeable member of this community and are now sharing some of your obvious expertise with the rest of us.
For that I thank you - much respect to you sir. :cheers:

Stuff like this really makes the Photomode community the best of GTP.
As for you Mitch,

Who do You think You've inspired the most?
Hard to say, but maybe Justin. It's been a while since he's been on here, but his skill level has shot to amazing along with a lot of others.

Are there any other Photographers that you often think "That's just ridiculous... I'll never match that?"
Hell... Nato, Mitch, slzk, Rev, Mog, RG, Jacob, Alex, Shaolin, there's tons where it's just a whole ridiculous level of awesome.

What would make GT5 Photomode Perfect? (Other than Premium RUFs )
Mega-MP resolution. Like into the 10's atleast. Like an extra-HD where the car/track is rendered high, just for that mode.

and, What option to the Photomode camera itself is desperately needed? (e.g. Manual White Balance, Lower shutter speed, more/less zoom)
Better quality. Sometimes you can't expose properly, especially in tunnels, and just general quality improvement, Less artifacts, higher save quality.

Great idea Lee, you've come up with a couple of really helpful threads just lately. 👍

To be perfectly honest with you, when you first appeared here in the Photomode Section I thought you came across as somewhat confrontational and argumentative and I wondered how long you would last here before you either left in a huff or was banned. We've seen a few come and go in that fashion. I figured you were probably someone who was a little older than many here and could see that you really did know your photography and took it seriously - you just needed to chill out a little and get into the spirit of the Photomode comps. Happily you did just that and have become a well respected and likeable member of this community and are now sharing some of your obvious expertise with the rest of us.

^^ Agreed! :)👍

Great idea to create this thread! It's a nice read so far. :)

What option to the Photomode camera itself is desperately needed?

+1 for this question, should be in the top 5 additional questions I think. (Don't know about the others around here but personally I can think of many small tweaks that could make the already great Photomode/Phototravel even better, especially about enabling us to set more things manually like white balance, vignetting, custom contrast/saturation, such stuff. And fix the lighting in tunnels! :dopey:)

Part 5

Horde_R35​

1. How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
Well, possibly since the very first day that i bought the game. I was really amazed by the graphics and that photomode experience. Then i started to get excited and went to the photomode forum and was blown away by the quality of some "Pro" photographers there. The guide was very helpfull for me because i didnt had any ideia how to take photos in the first place.

2. How would you describe your photography style?
20832 - "Press-Inspired". Sounds weird, but overall I think, you know what I mean by that. I try to replicate certain angles and techniques, which are used in real - life (automotive) photography.
^ Something like 20832 said. I am a mix of what i see and take for reference from my fellow photographers, my ideia and what im felling at the moment.

3. In your opinion what makes a great photo?
When you can tell the personality and atittude of the photographer in the photo. The mind set vs the feeling at the moment is very important.

4. What is your favourite car to shoot?
The Mines R34. Could be better modeled... anyway its one of my favourite cars of all time. There are more "photogenic" cars to take pics but that one is my favourite.

5. What is your favourite location to shoot?
Nürburgring Nordschleife. Its my favourite track and possibly has the best light/scenario of the game.

6. What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
Thats very hard to say, because i have several, but this one is in my top 10 because it was posted in the news section by the Jordan himself wich was a nice recognition for my work .
7139840621_28b42e820f_b.jpg

7. Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes i edit my pics, but with a very primitive webpage that is called "PicMonkey"... Techniques? Well i dont know much about that. I just go with the flow and with what im feeling at the moment.

8. If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
I would add the in car mode. I love those interiors and i dont have the patience to read how to do it .

9. Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Read the guide in the photomode forum. My fist pics were something like: Frames at 45 and shutter speed at 8000. Meanwhile i was thinking for myself: "This looks like crap! How do they do it?! . It helped me alot

10. Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
I have a few masters that i look up too: 20832, SMfan, bmxmitch and a few more , but the one that really captured my attention for the editing style and creation was The ShaolinMasta.

Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
Many call him Shaolin, other even call him Ilya, but i call him The Masta . Dont miss an update .

Thanks Horde 👍

Last edited:
Part 6

ShaolinMasta​

1, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
Soon it will be a year since i've been on GTP. Approximately a year after I've got Gran Turismo 5 I started to make photos in photomode. But for me, the starting point is the day when I started my gallery and after a few months it turned into...an addiction.

I just like to be a part of photomode community. There are so many great, interesting people, which did not cease to surprise me (I'm talking not only about photography)

2, How would you describe your photography style?
Hard to say. It depends on what idea was behind the set/photo and my mood. I always try something new and as many have mentioned, the music has a stupendous influence on me.

3, In your opinion what makes a great photo?
Maybe the feeling that everything is in the right place. Hard to explain that feeling. You look at the picture and you know it's great and will be cooler after editing Ideal combination of parameters for you. No need to speak about inspiration and soul. It's half of success

4. What is your favourite car to shoot?
Lexus LFA. I don't know how to get bad shots of this car. It always look amazing. I also like F40 very much. It's a masterpiece.

5, What is your favourite location to shoot?
Route X. Lighting is perfect there despite the fact that the track itself is very boring, I think it's perfect place for shooting.

My favorite phototravel location would be Kyoto Shoren In. I just love it

6, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
Hard to choose. Probably this one.
7813585376_fc0c4dd1ed_z.jpg

It's from the set i shot together with SVX. I don't know how the idea to make this star trail was born but i like it very much.

7, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes. 99 % of my shots are edited. I use photoshop and some plugins. At first I work with curves, then start to work on toning, then work with masks (if needed) and effects

8, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
All that has been said before plus...
"forward/rewind" feature in replays
rivals car reflections
more phototravel locations

9, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Read the previous tips. Try to experiment more and don't give up.

10. Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
SMfan, Gtuned, Sprite, 20832, RG, Slipz, jB, FJ , slzk, ceiling_fan, ZEROX, Grand Prix, bmxmitch, nanabu, BkS, rpanico14, sejtur ,Miklad, Nato, CCShaft, Boabdulrahman, zambuca and many others. Thank you guys!

There are too many. Next will be SMfan, one of the best photographers on GTP.

Thanks ShaolinMasta 👍

Last edited:

As is becoming increasingly common, Nato is quite literally reading my mind. It's really awesome to see this sort of thread flourishing Lee, and it's thanks to you for starting it and really putting the effort in to make it so great. Obviously, having such a strong pool of users to interview helps, but it'd be nothing without the clear organization you've provided.

Thanks for yet more evidence that the Photomode section is quite possibly the best sub-community of the entire GT5 section (maybe even all of GTP) :cheers:

9. Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Read the guide in the photomode forum. My fist pics were something like: Frames at 45 and shutter speed at 8000. Meanwhile i was thinking for myself: "This looks like crap! How do they do it?! . It helped me alot

:lol: I had the same problem until I read the guide, I worked for almost a year only in the phototravel because the racing shots always turned out very bad :lol:

Part 7

SMfan​

Just realized it's been almost 2 years already... I've been taking shots pretty much since the release of GT5.

In one word - random. I suppose I'm not the biggest fan of heavy editing and like to only adjust things like toning and lighting, but even this "rule" can be broken. My style is still changing from set to set or even from shot to shot, as I learn new ways and techniques of composing, taking and editing pictures.

It's that feeling you get when you look at it. Sometimes you can understand why a certain shot gives you the feeling, and sometimes it's impossible. But it has to be there.

4, What is your favourite car to shoot?
Hmm, that's a hard one... Gotta go with at least 5 - GT-R, 458, LF-A and a pair of classics: Camaro and Challenger.

Probaly Nurb - the biggest real track and it's one of the few "Premium" tracks in the game.

Can't pick an all-time fave, but since my comeback with the new PS3 it's this one
7981664042_66ca716cdf_z.jpg

The reason is... it gives me that feeling I mentioned earlier, yet it's pretty simple, not heavy edited, and at the same time, looks pretty realistic to me. Also, I can't remember how I toned it, so it's kinda magical because of that - I made it, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do it again.

Almost all of my pictures are edited.
Techniques? Is ripping pretty much everybody off considered a technique nowadays?
Cause that's what I do a lot - look at all the awesome pics and try to copy them in some sort of way.
EDIT: I take it back!!! Just saw question 10 and realized I was actually inspired by other guys' work.

On a seroius note, I'm still thinking about making some sort of a tutorial video, maybe like one Gtuned made, kind of a freestyle thing.

8, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
The thing that Immediately comes to mind is the ability to go outside the track with camera, or even take the car to the restricted areas of the track.

Not much to say, but keep up the great job you guys are doing keeping this community interesting and enjoyable to be a part of.

10, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
Too afraid of forgeting someone, so, basically guys, if I ever commented positively in your gallery, it's 99% certain you inspired me.

ZEROX - cause I still can't imitate him.No, seriously, he's got a unique style.

Thanks SMfan 👍

Whoa, thanks SMfan for those kind word and ShaolinMasta on your getting an inspiration from me. :cheers:

Just a few word to say that this topic is a great idea.

So : thanks to Lee for the initiative and to the Photographers for taking time to answer.

Part 8

ZEROX

Since GT4 but i'm not that serious until GT5 came out.

Freestyle but it depends on my mood. Though recently, i think i'm more to trackside style.

Good angle, location and car combination. The editing part is just a bonus to make it look more great.

I'm mostly into race car shot but i do like the road cars too. Well, the favourites are Xcars, 908, Aventador, R35, and GTbyCitreon. Yeah, far too many than an 'a favourite car'.

It has to be Eiger Norwand for road car shot and Spa-Francorchamps for the race cars and as for PhotoTravel, Red Bull Hangar.

Oh, this is a tough one. Well, let's see...
7698169458_e3d114c499_z.jpg

A race photo feeling. The one that i always envy whenever i saw on the net or in a magazine. I think i've achieve it. Here's a fact, i usually give my best on competition. The gallery is more like a lab to me.

Most of the time, yes. The technique, i just got with flow. I've no base technique, that for sure.

Car studio, interior shot during gameplay or at PhotoTravel and the lights and sun flares. I. Need. Them. Back.

I'm not really good with giving an advice or two but here, do not afraid to explore new editing style or angle shot and for those who're entering the competition, just don't give up. Keep pushing it until you succeed. Oh, read the guideline from the photomode forum if you must.

Many. The likes of Dolp, ShaolinMasta, SMfan, nanabu, FishyJuice, NBDESIGNZ, Gtuned, SlipZtrem and many, many, many more. I could list it forever if i can. Also, there's two real photographer that inspire me the most for my shots, Schlegelmich and Dino Dalle Carbonare.

Okay, tough question. NBDESIGNZ, you're up.

Thanks ZEROX:tup:

Part 9

NBDESIGNZ

I started with a few shots in GT4 but nothing special. Then while playing GT5 for a month or so I got bored, I started to shoot and got addicted.

It's not really difficult to describe, I'll mostly try to keep the shots as realistic as possible and just recently started with heavy editing to do more on my pics.

First it needs a nicecar-location combo and second when you saw a picture you think, yes that's it, depending on different tastes of people.

They're more than one I think, but automotive beauties like F40, SLS Amg, or Aventador but also a lot of standards which are sometimes really badly modelled so hard to shot them correctly.

It depends on my mood, it can be either the Nürburgring or even somewhere in Phototravel, but I have not really a favouritre spot.

Thats a hard question after nearly 10 thousand pictures taken with GT5... I thinks it might be this one...
8021783320_bb8b2bca32_z.jpg

I dont really know why maybe because I've spent so much time on editing, just love it.

Yes, all are edited, I'm using Adobe Lightroom, to increase the quality of the original GT5 pictures which are often to dull, for 99% of my pictures and only since a few weeks I started using Gimp and that opened a whole new world for me.

Like the others I think there are not enough phototravel locations and more tracks with weather and time change options. Make disappear the word "standard" and replace it with, I think you all know what I mean. Also would be great to have more replay options.

Not really an advice, just keep coming to post your best shots and edits here on GTPlanet.

Basically, I think that I take my inspiration by visiting all the other great member galleries and posts. Not really one person who inspire me it's more a mix of different styles.

After searching a long time, I think it might be ceiling_fan, his shots are and have been among the bests on GTP IMO.

Thanks NBDESIGNZ:tup:

I've changed the OP rules, not sure if i should just let anyone answer the questions instead of sticking to the nominations...what do you all think?

I've changed the OP rules, not sure if i should just let anyone answer the questions instead of sticking to the nominations...what do you all think?

Sounds good to me. Although I haven't commented, I've still been reading them and they're great! I really think this thread should be stickied, it's very educational.

I'm with lilmann on this, fascinating thread and I think the current format works to keep it that way. Great job lee 👍

I have been keeping up on this thread and I really love the idea... Nominations are definitely the way to go.. I can think of so many great photographers that I'm waiting to hear from

This is a great thread, Just finished reading all the Q&A's to date. I love having the insight of other talents on here. I think it helps everyone learn more, not only about each other but ideas they can perhaps intergrate or adapt to make themselves better photographers and editors.

Personally I don't mind the selection process being either way noms or not. And also agree that this perhaps sohuld become a sticky.

Looking forward to the next one. 👍

When will the new interview release? I've been itching to continue reading more famous photographer's responses.

Part 10

ceiling_fan​

I started as soon as GT4 came out, so... 7 and a half years now!

I like to keep it somewhere between realism and eye-popping I spend a lot of time getting the colors to look how I imagine they should look in my head, and sometimes it might be too colorful for real pictures. I always like to bring out the sky when I can, too.

All my favorite pics have one thing in common: fantastic lighting. GT5's lighting engine sometimes doesn't look great, but certain places (under the freeway in Tokyo Rt 246, the tunnel in Eiger etc.) make just about anything look incredible. The idea that GT6 could have lighting like this all the time is exciting! Composition is important though too, guys

I hate to be "that guy" but taking the LFA for a quick shoot always results in something good! I also like the 458 Italia, Lambo Miura, 599 GTB and 787B! It's just so easy to take good shots with these cars.

Nurburgring, Le Sarthe, Eiger, Toscana and Cape Ring. I like Arwheiler and Kyoto Gion as well. If only the Red Bull Hangar had a slower transition to night...

Yowza, I have a lot of pics to choose from.

7497817906_a3676ebbfa_z.jpg

I went with this one because I was so happy with all the elements of the image. I also think it's a good example of my style, not ultra-realistic but not cartoony either. 3500 views on Flickr isn't bad either

I edit every picture you see, unless it's for an unedited competition.

My process is Lightroom > Photoshop, or Photomatix > Lightroom > Photoshop for HDR's. I find the interface for color balancing in Lightroom much better than Photoshop's.

Unlike many people, I'm pretty happy with what's available. Higher vantage points and proper replay rewinding would be nice. The ability to turn off damage in GT Life mode would be appreciated

It's always impressive seeing everyone get better and better, I don't see myself being able to give much advice to you guys! I do notice many pics that have a shadow cast over the car, be careful with that people

In no particular order: sejtur, Moglet, Revolution., DarkR, zambuca, Gtuned, bmxmitch, leeislee, ShaolinMasta, Dolp, 20832, ZEROX, SlipZtrEm, Nato_777, there's just so many! I'm sure I missed some!

zambuca!

Thanks for reading guys!

Thanks ceiling_fan 👍

Last edited:
7 years of photomodography and still going strong - much respect to you c_f!! 👍 :cheers:

Part 11

zambuca​

Well, I got my GT5 one day before the actual release date. I fooled around with photomode since the beginning, but it wasn't until 2011 (I think) that I found the photomode forum on GTPlanet. It was really inspiring and it changed my focus in the game entirely. Now I only play GT5 because of photomode.

Hmm...evolving? It's difficult to judge oneself

That it has a story to tell and lots of atmosphere.

The Ferrari F40

Eiger Nordwand - normal and weather change. I really like the light on this location, and the track and scenery has a lot to offer. Also, it's fun to drive there

I went through my whole gallery and it's pretty difficult to choose one. I usually don't post my competition entries in my gallery. And I have been very fond of many of those. But...I picked this one since I'm a sucker for B/W photos, and I like the nostalgic atmosphere. Feels like something from an old photo album.
7172803714_cdb4307fbd_z.jpg

I use Photoshop for all my editing. I have tried different techniques with all the possible editing tools. Now I usually switch between curves, color balance and saturation - not in any given order. I try to achieve a certain harmony between all the components.

I would like a better forward/rewind feature. But I'm pretty happy with photomode as it is.

Patience. Noone is a great photographer from day one. And, as a photography teacher once told me, with quantity comes quality.

There are so many here with great skills. I see a lot of fascinating work. But if I had to choose some that truly inspire me - meaning that they have had an influence on my own work - I would mention SlipZ, ShaolinMasta and Gtuned. When I joined the photomode forum I was really fascinated by the work of Revolution, Moglet, RetroGiant and GPR, but they kind of retired (GPR has recently returned and I have great expectations hehe).

Nato_777

Thanks zambuca 👍

Nice! I'm glad we got an update on this thread. Can't wait to see what Nato says, and which picture of his own he likes the best. Great photo zambuca!

Back