Photomode Photographers Q&A #35 - nanabu

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 379 comments
England
Liverpool
leeislee
qabanner.png

Having noticed some of the awesome photos/edits people create using GT5, i thought it would be a good idea to have a quick Q&A with many of the photographers who continue to create amazing works of art.

How it will work is that every nominated photographer answers the same set of questions all based on photography and photomode. They then nominate the next photographer to answers them and so on.

I think it will work best by PM the way the competition winners pick their next theme, that way i will know quickly if the nominated photographer is interested in answering the questions or not and i can move on to the next person.

It should be an interesting read and will hopefully be a good place to pick up hints, tips and inspiration for your own galleries.

Now seeing that this is the first Q&A i will randomly pick a photographer to go first. This won't be a case of favouritism or anything like that, we have to start somewhere!

You could also use the Q&A to ask the current photographer selected your own questions.

Click the members names below to read their Q&A...
(updated interviews are marked with *)

bmxmitch - Gtuned - *Taiga - 20832 - Horde_R35 - ShaolinMasta - SMfan - ZEROX - NBDESIGNZ - ceiling_fan - zambuca - Nato_777 - DarkR - *SlipZtrEm - Retrogiant - jBhIpS - leeislee - Miklad - Dolp - Moglet - BkS - TVR&Ferrari Fan - NTX - Nicknamealguem - Bram Turismo - GPR - Fyshokid - jus1029 - GTracer98 - Kodje - HaerBev - driftinziggy - hawk2201 - CCShaft7 - nanabu

Last edited:
Part 1

bmxmitch​

1, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
Hmm, I think I can say, I started at the release of GT5. I took a few shots in GT4, but really only a handfull, and mainly pictures in Photomode. GTP got me addicted to GT5 insanly fast. Especially after a few great comments from some well known guys here.

2, How would you describe your photography style?
Freestyle?! Idk, really, I always tried to find some different angles or views for my shots. It all depends on my mood!

3, In your opinion what makes a great photo?
A great photo is one that instantly says "wow"! If you have to look at it for longer then 10sec to see something good, I think...it isnt!

4, What is your favourite car to shoot?
I know I know, everyone thinks it is the RUF BTR2. It would be if it were a premium...(makes me sad everytime I think about it) But, it is the F40. An absolutely gorgeous looking car. I think I have 5 in my garage. One less than the BTR!

5, What is your favourite location to shoot?
Hard to say...hmm, It would be Suzuka! The lighting and weather effects work great there. And I enjoy this track way more than the Nürburgring. Even though the Ring is, as a track, the most beautiful.

Photomode location would be Ahrweiler market. Same as Suzuka, the Lighting there suits my taste the most.

6, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
Thats why i made an album called favorites! I cant choose...But, if I had to pick one, it would probably be this one:
6943278881_9f076f9b12_z.jpg

7, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes I do! And I mainly use Adobe Lightroom to do it. It's the easiest to use IMO and perfect for 2.0 competitions. (You cant do too much, like flares etc) But, I dont prefer any technique for it. It's only pulling some bars from left to right till the picture looks good.

8, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
Easy question, let us open doors and hoods! I dont get it why they even made a perfect interior if we couldnt see any of it...well, till jBhlps came!

9, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Me? advice? Okay, Dont drink and drive guys. Nah seriously, if I can give one bit of advice, it would be. Stick to it!

I started with taking pictures in GT5 and if you go on the first pages of my gallery, you'll see how crappy they were back then. If you stick to it and still have fun with it, they will improve...100%.

Experience comes over time. And everyone makes his own. Without that, everyone would take the same pictures in the same style. So, keep on with whatever your style or taste might be or will be and post those new shots here. If they improve, you'll get some feedback, if not, try harder!

10, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
ALOT! Mainly guys like moglet, Gtuned, revolution, Retrogiant, and many more.
there are so many here with lots of skill!

Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
Hmm, there are too many. But, I really want to hear what Chromatic9 has to tell.

Last edited:
Wow Lee, this is an awesome idea. Can't wait to see it catch on and learn more about each other 👍

Awesome idea leeislee, reminds me of "A star in a reasonably priced car" from Top Gear.

Perhaps we could have something similar to it, like having to take a picture at the same place and with the same car, or have to edit the same shot.

Just brainstorming. :dopey:

Good idea, I'd keep this thread in my mind, could become interesting to hear many users to tell "their storys" 👍

EDIT: Agree to SVX, the idea with making & editing the same photo is great 👍

Last edited:
Thanks for asking bmxmitch.

I'm really out of the loop regarding GT5 and photo editing so I'll have to decline.

:cheers:

Wow Lee, this is an awesome idea. Can't wait to see it catch on and learn more about each other 👍
Cheers mate 👍

SVX
Awesome idea leeislee, reminds me of "A star in a reasonably priced car" from Top Gear.

Perhaps we could have something similar to it, like having to take a picture at the same place and with the same car, or have to edit the same shot.

Just brainstorming. :dopey:
good idea, i'll certainly keep it in mind. 👍

Good idea, I'd keep this thread in my mind, could become interesting to hear many users to tell "their storys" 👍

EDIT: Agree to SVX, the idea with making & editing the same photo is great 👍
👍

Great thread. Can't wait to hear some nuggets of info! :)
👍

I'm really out of the loop regarding GT5 and photo editing so I'll have to decline.

No worries Chromatic, i've chosen someone else from Mitch's favs. New Q&A should be up soon. 👍

Part 2

Gtuned

1, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
Since GT4. Stumbled into it and it just kinda became an addiction. I had always loved taking pictures of cars and with GT4 I could just go wild. Once I got into it, I gamesharked it in an instant Bought tons of cars just for pictures and that's all I used it for really.

2, How would you describe your photography style?
Depends. Sometimes I just sit and shoot and get good shots, or other times it's "ffffff.... Why... why is it so hard to get one. good. shot." Most of the time, it's with music. I'll let the mood/beat/style of music depend my angles and it'll really influence.

3, In your opinion what makes a great photo?
Something that makes you just go "woah..." And you just stare at it, like Mitch said. Everything just sits perfectly and when you keep looking at it, you can hear, or imagine the sounds and scene the moment it was actually shot, as if it was real. There's tons of shots where I see it, and get lost in it, and really think about it, hearing the engine, the skidding, the dirt, the wind.

4, What is your favourite car to shoot?

Boy this one's hard. Probably the LFA, Aventador, or GT86/FRS/BRZ. I have atleast 8 of each one in different colors and looks. There's just something so enticing and easy to capture with their modeling.

5, What is your favourite location?
Track... the Ring. Every time I'm there, I end up with over 150 shots to pick from. Hence why most of my Ring sets end up being 20-30 pictures As for Travel, Kyoto. Such awesome lighting and reflections. It would easily be the Abbey, only if you could pause time to sunset. It gets such a golden hour feel to it, but you only have seconds to capture it.

6, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
Man... another hard one. But it'd have to be this.
6862623165_8f0f27199a_z.jpg

It's just so epic! Some of the worlds sexiest and greatest Race Cars ever, at one place. At the most epic place, the Ring. It was a ton of fun to shoot with everyone and you couldn't ask for anything better than that.

7, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yep. Paint.net all the way. Every shot in my gallery has been edited using Paint.net Mainly, it's alot of curve work, some techniques to fix common GT5 problems and just general tidying up. Hardly anyone uses it on the section, but it's really, really powerful.

8, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
Studio location. We need one oh so badly. No fancy sunsets or anything, just a simple white or black box with some lighting to show off the cars shine and GT5's modeling. Less is more ya know?

9, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Same as Mitch said. Stick with it. If you read through the earlier pages of my gallery, I was ready to give up, I just thought i wasn't good enough to compete with the likes of everyone else (and still don't) Basically, take inspiration, read tutorials, mess around, have fun. There are so many users I've seen improve to pro level in the last couple months, it's amazing.
Just keep at it. You'll get it.

10, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
Oh Hell, just about everyone. It's a real sort of family like feeling, everyone working together, inspiring, creating, critiquing and complimenting. We all get better from each other. We'll see something someone else does and take our own spin on it, add our own flare. It's really what makes the photomode section the best.

Hard choice, there's so many I want to hear from, but I gotta see what's up with slzk.
We've been bouncing ideas and sets and inspiration off each other for a while now, I'd love to see his Q&A

Thanks Gtuned 👍

Last edited:
Thanks again Lee. 👍
Also, based off the OP, I got some extra questions for Mitch.

Who do You think You've inspired the most?

Are there any other Photographers that you often think "That's just ridiculous... I'll never match that?)

What would make GT5 Photomode Perfect? (Other than Premium RUFs :sly: )

and, What option to the Photomode camera itself is desperately needed? (e.g. Manual White Balance, Lower shutter speed, more/less zoom)

This thread is awesome, thanks Lee! And thanks Gtuned and Mitch for sharing your secrets :cheers:

Gtuned, I love listening to music too when i'm creating things. somehow a certain feel can be gained from choosing the right bit of music.

I have a few playlists that all convey different moods.

Sent the PM. :) There is a thing I would like to know from you too, Garrett. What's your drug? What kind of music do you listen to? They are always so nice to my ears!

I would gladly answer any photography questions asked here. :)

Last edited:
What's your drug? What kind of music do you listen to? They are always so nice to my ears!

It's a lot of EDM. Ranging from Zedd's Clarity, Deadmau5's Aural Psynapse or heavier stuff like Knife Party's Bonfire, or 12th Planet's Bass Salt. What's playing while I'm shoot or editing will really determine the mood of the shot.

Part 3

Taiga​

1, How about an introduction?

Hi guys. My name's Taiga or slzk as it used to be. My real name is Jaden.
I live in Singapore, which has near to 0 car culture so GT5's probably the closest you can get to "true" motorsports.

2, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?

After a year I've got Gran Turismo 5. Almost exactly a year. My first embarkment on photography would be the day I started the gallery.
11 months, with a 5 months hiatus in between. So technically speaking, 6 months. I grew quite a bit in these 6 months I guess, in terms of photography, only really made my stuff better after the break.
I don't exactly know why/how I got into photography, but it's a thing I love to do now. I got GT5 for well, racing, and it brought me to this.

3, What was the first picture you took in GT5?

It would probably be this:

I never got into any photo related stuff ever so I had no idea what the numbers and options meant on the screen. I only knew that the partial colour filter and the ass of these 2 beautiful machines looked really cool, so voila, first picture.

4, And your first edit?

This...

This was from the same shooting as my first photo. I got hooked onto photomode really quickly after discovering panning mode 2/3. I was amazed how the cars could be seen in motion and stuff and that really brought me in.
I then thought of setting a gallery up and this was the first I did.
Just some simple gradient mappings, a crop and probably some minor curves.

5, How would you describe your photography style?

Hmm, this is pretty hard to say... Is there even a specific style?
I guess I just go with the flow. If I feel like taking a minimalistic set, I'll go ahead and shoot with soft angles and such. If I feel like working the aggressiveness of let's say, an Aventador, I would go for something that would compliment that of the Aventador.

Sometimes, I just feel like taking photos, but then halfway through, I get really meh, and the photos just turn out completely bland. Then sometimes, my brain just implodes like a Skrillex song and creativity just injects itself into my photos.

6, In your opinion what makes a great photo?

Many things make a good photo, few things make a great photo and even fewer things make an epic photo.
A good photo is seen almost everywhere, they look good and probably have good toning and composition.
A great photo takes into account the composition, toning in great detail and without 1 week of practice, anyone can achieve this.
An epic photo, however, has near perfect composition while being original with beautiful, apt tones and considers what I regard as the most important part of a picture: the atmosphere/mood. All that while stilling retaining a 'wow factor' that captures the attention of the audience at first glance and stands out from the 'great' and 'good'.

7, What is your favourite car to shoot?

This one's hard. I don't have a certain favourite, but my absolute favourites would be:
The Aventador: great angles to work with, an almost perfect modelling by PD and a beautiful car by far.

The LFA: I don't know why, but PD made this car magical. It always has perfect lighting, perfect reflections, I don't know, but daamn does this car's photos deliver.

I guess those are my favourites. I try not to have repeated usage of cars, albeit I do have some, but any car that I like will just cut it.

8, What is your favourite location to shoot?

If you're speaking about a favourite location to shoot, it would be Kyoto Shoren-In. That place is magical. The lighting there makes for great high-noon shots while not allowing the photo to be easily overexposed. The objects there; the temple; the trees; the doors; the cars; are absolutely brilliant.

9, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?

This is really hard. I feel like I'm judging an open theme with my photos.
It's safe to say that everyone loves their own work and I'm no exception.
But there's:

This. Without a doubt. I had a good long stare at this photo right after making it because it was just so damn good. In my opinion, at least. Some EDM was playing in the playlist, most likely something Zedd.
The composition is very favourable, the colours, tones and lighting is very apt and just builds up all the way to give such an epic mood. If I could, this picture would be on my wall and it would stay there for a pretty damn long time.

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?

Yes. I definitely edit them. There isn't a specific technique or anything but I usually take the best photo of the set and then start tinkering with that and ending up with a base edit for the rest of the set where changes will be made upon that.

Music influences my work, A LOT. Most of my sets nowadays are based on the emotions and mood I feel from listening to the piece. It just makes everything come so much more naturally and puts me on some sort of high that gets translated into my photos.

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?

Actually photomode in GT5 is already awesome as it is. But some possible improvements would be to lower shutter speeds to 1/1 or something, panning the camera higher, multiple cars and instant vehicle switches in phototravel and aspect ratio locking.

12, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?

Don't be afraid to experiment and try new stuff. Always try new things: new angles, new tones. It is only by experimenting, trial and error and trying something new would your photos and skills see an improvement. Sure, they might be catastrophic sometimes but then you learn not to take such photos next time. Hence, you've improved. Just know, the possibilities are infinite and that you will forever have something new to try.

Don't be afraid to learn from others as well: Saw something you like but is unable to replicate? Don't be afraid to ask how to. That's learning and improving. Even going to the extent of asking for .psd's for studying is fine too.

13, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?

Many, many, many, probably everyone who've I mentioned that you created a great photo inspired me, if not in the littlest ways.
Almost all, if i could say, with their attitudes, not only skills. It was from browsing through the galleries of the photographers here that inspired me to start my own. 20832 inspires me with his incredible minimalistic shots (I'm a minimalism nut). Gtuned inspires me with his amazing photos, always something different and amazing, prompting me to do something different on my own. SMfan, Moglet, SlipZ and ShaolinMasta all inspire me with their incredible toning skills. And there are many more, definitely but those are the exception among the few.

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?

I do a fair bit of graphic work, as a hobby and honestly, I would say, without this part of me, say Photoshop, I would have been very much different today.
Tinkering, if there's a word to call/describe it.

Since Garrett chose me, I can't choose him, or else I would've. I would really like to hear what 20832 has to say. He's been such an inspiration, even I have told him so myself quite a few times. And now that he's gonna go, I think it's just right to ask him to have inputs here.

Thanks Taiga 👍

Last edited:
Thanks for choosing me, Jaden!
Of course I did participate, allthough my grammer really did suck. :lol:

I hope leeislee does everything, I wanted to say and corrects it :scared:

Part 4

20832​

1. How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
My very first picture was done in GT4 in December 2009. This was actually my first notice and use of the photomode and had absolutly no clue, what I was doing there. The picture had no editing (except for Border and Watermark), and I'm not going to lie. I was pretty satisfied with it. Until then, I've been shooting photos in Gran Turismo and Tourist Trophy, eventually until my PS2 broke in early 2010 and I had to wait to save enough move for an PS3 and had to wait for GT5.

At first, I was totally overwhelmend by the features this cam had to offer, and I kinda got scared away. Then I signed up, started to read the guide and made my first pictures in GT5 and eventually opened my (now closed) 20832 Photography.

2. How would you describe your photography style?
"Press-Inspired". Sounds weird, but overall I think, you know what I mean by that. I try to replicate certain angles and techniques, which are used in real - life (automotive) photography.

As I am always aiming at the "most realistic picture possible", I thought that these angles are very helpful for this mindset. Editing is (of course) another huge part in all this, but again: A good pictures starts out with a good stock picture and has to be rounded with Editing.

3. In your opinion what makes a great photo?
An Idea and/or the right mindset. I think, it is crucial for a picture, to have a certain theme or idea behind it!

Because, when you're just going to drive and make some pictures, because you think they look good, it means 9 times out of 10, that the picture is going to be crappy as can be. I always think, that a picture has to communicate with you. It has to give out certain information right at the second you start looking at it, but has to have more "in-depth" information, that you have to interpret and eventually drags you in and makes you think about it.

When a picture doesn't have anything to give out except a Ferrari in a Tunnel in Monaco, then it isn't a good picture. It can be well executed and well edited, but in the end, it's just a picture with no personality and no soul.

4. What is your favourite car to shoot?
Lexus IS-F
I love this car for it's mixture between this JDM spirit but also this subtlety and understatement, which you only know from european, furthermore german sedans. This car has a very appealing character to it. Elegant lines and this shizophrenic personallity rather than this "I punch you in the face" - Attitude are the things, that I really like about this car. It may not be the most exciting and most flamboyant looks, but that is, what makes this car blend in in various locations. Plus, it's just so much cooler than an M3.

5. What is your favourite location to shoot?
Nürburgring Nordschleife.
Not only because it's my favorite track, I grew up next to it and I've chose to name myself after the length of it, but it has the biggest variety and seems to have almost anything, I can wish for. Rain, Time Cycle and hands down probably the most beautiful scenery, a track can be in.

6. What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
It has to be my F458 Picture, that even made it to the front page of GTP

ferrari-f458-italia-638x359.jpg

The reason is, that I absolutly had the right mindset, and is probably the best showcase of my skills with editing and capability with my In - game skills and what I mean by "having the right mindset". I tried to replicate a Official Wallpaper of the 458 from Ferrari.

7. Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes, I always edit my picture. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

The techniques I use are different from every new set, but most of the time I increase the contrast and increase or decrease the saturation, depending on the mood I want to deliver in the picture. Depending on the mindset behind the picture, I also use cross-processing from time to time.

8. If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
I actually want to see everything in-game, that we have to replicate in Photoshop. So, a panorama mode and an interior camera for (at least) photo travel. Maybe an HDR - Mode.

These are actually the only things, I can think of right now, and are actually the only things, I desperatly want in - game.

9. Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
The most important thing is, to understand how the GT5 Camera works. As in real life, it's always hard to understand and get to know all the features your new device has to offer! I too had a lot of problems with the shutter speed and apartures, and to be honest my first pictures looked like total crap! I can't tell you, how crucial it is to know the tool you are using. Without that confidence in using it, you'll will not deliver this confidence in your pictures. You need to show, that you understand what your doing. You have to play with the angles, with shutter speeds.

And ALWAYS HAVE A MINDSET! I know, that I'm repeating myself over and over again, but it's just so important and yet ignored so often. I doesn't matter how good you can do things with the GT5 Cam, how good your editing is: As long as you don't have an idea or a theme behind your picture, it isn't good. That's what I love about leeislee's pictures. They're definetly not the best around here, but they always have some sort of theme, and mindset behind (at least the new ones done) and that (as I explained in question 3) is the most important thing for me in a picture, what makes a picture great.

10. Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
I have to name one man here. Beccoscino (or something like that)
Even though I hate that Becco - Guy for doing multiple accounts on here to boost his votes in the competitions, this kid sure had talent and knew, what he was doing.

I would like to nominate my buddy "Horde_R35"! I haven't seen anyone developing sooo much in such a short time and really looking up to his work now.

Thanks 20832 👍

Great answers 20832, and I completely agree with you with what you said about the mindset. Well done. 👍

Haven't noticed this, very nice idea and initiative. 👍

*hmmm, thinks about how to get nominated to the next Q&A...* :lol:

Thats really an interesting thread! And I feel honored to be chosen first from lee. :D
There are so many people here I would like to see answering those questions.
Or maybe some more questions. ;)
Awesome idea lee! 👍

Aww man, your shots were always so inspiring and unique. I really would've loved to hear more from you. But I can also understand you completely. I myself also struggled to get the questions answered. So many other stuff's going on right now.....:crazy:
But just that you know, I think you were one of the best GT5 photographer/editer! If not THE best! ;)👍

Thanks again Lee. 👍
Also, based off the OP, I got some extra questions for Mitch.

Who do You think You've inspired the most?
Me? I don't know if I inspired anyone here? Would be great, but to answer the question, you have to ask other members. Maybe there are a few I inspired a bit. ;)

Are there any other Photographers that you often think "That's just ridiculous... I'll never match that?)
Hell yeah! moglet, ShaolinMasta, leeislee, revolution, .......YOU
Too many!
And especially Nato, Miklad, and Raphaele with their awesome editing skills!

There are some people here who really know what to do with their programs. I myself only play around with lightroom and see what happens. It's not that I actually know what I am doing....like Nato with cleaning up his cars. That for example, is just ridiculous! In a good way of course! :dopey:👍

What would make GT5 Photomode Perfect? (Other than Premium RUFs :sly: )
Porsches? :dopey:
Or, like you said, more simple locations. Like we see on the main screen. A garage with only some lights to show of the beauty of the car.
Ohh wait, you mean on the track? Or both?
Because if we're talking about track shooting, I would like to have a real slow-mo function. To capture the perfect moment more easily as it is now.
And the ability to go higher with the camera!
There are so many tweaks PD could do, I just hope they at least do 25% of our suggestions here....

and, What option to the Photomode camera itself is desperately needed? (e.g. Manual White Balance, Lower shutter speed, more/less zoom)
I think it works fine enough right now. Maybe some little tweaks like saving your last settings! I hate to always switch back to mode3 or what I want atm...
Ohh, and different objectives would be a great one. Like a fish-eye option! :D

But as I am not a real dedicated photographer (like you ;)), I don't have high expectations in the camera.
It's easy to use for beginners, but I understand that a experienced photographer wants more.

Now I would like to hear it from you too mate! ;)

Last edited:
leeislee, you are simply the best thing to ever happen to GT5's Photomode forums...
Hehe, thanks for the kind words but i could never agree with that, but thanks though. appreciate it 👍

And thanks to everyone for the positive words regarding this thread. Seeing as though a few of you have mentioned more questions, how about you all post a question you think would be great to include and i'll pick the best 5 or if everyone agrees on the best 5 then i'll include them. 👍

Last edited:
leeislee
Seeing as though a few of you have mentioned more questions, how about you all post a question you think would be great to include and i'll pick the best 5 or if everyone agrees on the best 5 then i'll include them. 👍

How long do you usually spent on a set of photos?

Back