Photomode Photographers Q&A #35 - nanabu

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 379 comments
Great answers. It's always a pleasure to read this thread. One of the bests interviews of the all tread without any doubt. Contrats SlipZtrEm. 👍

DarkR and Slipz mentioned me as inspiration!?
Impossibru.png

Thanks alot guys! :gtpflag:

And btw, I would like to see a part2 or something. With other new questions, such as:

-Whats your hobby next to GT5
-What are your 3 favorite Bands/Artists right now
-and so on....

Just more personal stuff. That's just an idea though..... :sly:

Part 15

RetroGiant

1, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
I started a little after GT4 came out. I stumbled upon this website first and saw the galleries and competitions going on and I thought that it looked so fun. GT4 actually got me into editing the images through photoshop. I still remember some of my shots when I first started. They were hilarious. I would take a static shot and then would motion blur the background and forget to blur the wheels. Just terrible, lol. But like anything, just keep practicing and you get better.

2, How would you describe your photography style?
All over the place to be honest. Whether it is a curse or a blessing, I can never get into a rhythm for a series of shots. Editing I'm kind of the same way, although making shots to feel more "retro" is probably the easiest for me.

3, In your opinion what makes a great photo?
Something that just grabs your attention. Stands out from the rest. And this can be done with the photo itself or the editing. My favorite style of photo is the ultra "realistic" type photos. But I do love an artistic angle as well. I see so many photos that I'm like "I've never taken a photo like that" even on the simplest of terms. Uniqueness.

4, What is your favourite car to shoot?
That's a tough one. I love cars from the 80s and early 90s. So many fall into that category I couldn't pick just one.

5, What is your favourite location to shoot?
Probably the Nurburgring. Such a large track, you can always find new spots to take photos.

6, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
Probably this one and it's because I'm pretty sure its the only shot I've ever done like it.
5737342018_c56e446564_b.jpg

I do LOVE all the remix shots I was able to take part in though. However, those are heavily edited.

7, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
I usually edit all of them. I think I have more fun editing than I do actually taking the picture. I love seeing the different moods I can create from a regular photo. Technique.........that's just it....I go into most photos blindly not really knowing how I want to edit it. I can start going through the process of making it look completely retro and artistic, only to scrap that style and make it dramatic with lots of contrast and bold colors. I just wing it a lot of the time. Once I have the style for the first photo I like, the rest in the series usually follow suite. Also depends on the mood I'm in lol.

8, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
Definitely not remove any features. Features are good. If you don't like a feature, just don't use it. I would like these added: different types of lenses, multiple focal points, fix color banding and jaggies in smoke, allow photos to be taken from replay angles, raise the height your camera can go, many things.

9, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
If you start thinking too hard about a photo or editing style you take the fun away. I've done this many times trying to get a certain shot or look and it becomes frustrating. Just have fun, take many photos, edit many photos, soon you will find what works and what you do well at. On editing, don't rely on filters, individually edit certain aspects of the photo. You will get better results in the long run. If YOU like the photo, that's all that matters. Don't take photos for your gallery or comps and then complain when they don't get votes or comments. Do it because you like it. I've entered WELL over a hundred comps on this site easily and have won like 5 or less I bet. Just cause you don't get picked or don't win doesn't really matter. Just have some fun.

10, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
Impossible to name only certain people and I won't do that because a lot of my style(s) represent those that inspire me. I pull inspiration from so many of you. There have been and continue to be so many great photographers and editors on this site, finding inspiration is EASY. I only wish I had more time to be on the site with all of you and to play the game. I do miss it.

Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
I'll go with jBhIpS. His photos are almost like they came out of a movie trailer. Really great stuff.

Thanks Corey. Hope to see you adding to your gallery in the future! 👍

Great read! Nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't really have much method in terms of editing style. :lol:
Definitely looking forward to what jBhIpS has to say! 👍

Part 14

SlipZtrEm

Gtuned for carefully considered compositions and stunning editing, as well as proving you don't need the established "standard" software to edit well - it's just a shame he listens to angry computer sex and calls it "music" .

hahaha made me laugh out loud !!!!!

and cheers for taking the time to mention my name ;D means alot to read it from a true master

Kyle - It's finally here; your interview! I really appreciate your detailed and insightful answers. It's hard to believe that so much time has passed and you're still as active (if not even more active) in the Photomode forums, eh? You know that I love your work and I can't wait to check your next gallery update (hint, hint ;)).

RetroGiant - That is one of my favourite GT5 pictures of all times. Your work has always been inspirational and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your valuable thoughts with the community!

I also can't wait to see Ilya's answers!

Last edited:
Great interviews guys. 👍

I must say, this question/answer really has changed my attitude for Photomode:

If you start thinking too hard about a photo or editing style you take the fun away. I've done this many times trying to get a certain shot or look and it becomes frustrating. Just have fun, take many photos, edit many photos, soon you will find what works and what you do well at. On editing, don't rely on filters, individually edit certain aspects of the photo. You will get better results in the long run. If YOU like the photo, that's all that matters. Don't take photos for your gallery or comps and then complain when they don't get votes or comments. Do it because you like it. I've entered WELL over a hundred comps on this site easily and have won like 5 or less I bet. Just cause you don't get picked or don't win doesn't really matter. Just have some fun.

Occasionally, I try to think of a shot I want before I start the shoot. Normally, the same thing happens: it doesn't work out how I wanted it to be. Next time I decide to take some shots, I'll be thinking of this. :)

Part 16

jBhIpS

1, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
Since the day I received the delivery of my GT5, the beginning of december 2010. I'm sorry I missed GT4 in its time, but firstly playing GT HD Concept, and then GT5 Prologue I was looking froward to having Photomode in the full version of GT5.

2, How would you describe your photography style?
Improvisation and artistic vision are the first things that come to mind. My every photo is like a blank piece of paper, on which something realistic, minimalistic or completely extraordinary can be born. Every single one of my pictures is a reflection of what's happening around me in that moment of time. Additionally, it was working with GT5 that taught me how to edit pictures.

3, In your opinion what makes a great photo?
Obviously, actual camera-skills, as I think GT5 has the best virtual version of a reflex camera.
Then, it's inspiration and spontaneity that have the biggest effect, but probably the main thing is the ability to feel the moment, to find the exact second to make the perfect shot.

4, What is your favourite car to shoot?
It's a very difficult question, I probably love all premium cars: from Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Astons, to Nissans and Scions. But, yeah, there's one that I love the most - the Citroen GT Concept, and more recently the Toyota FT-86 II Concept.

5, What is your favourite location to shoot?
From all phototravel locations it's the Arwheiler Town Square and Kyoto Gion. From tracks: Nordschleife, Tokyo R246, Circuit de la Sarthe, Toscana, SSRX and SSR5.

6, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
It's my 50th photo, taken on the 1st of January, 2011 (No editing except the added logo).
gran_turismo_5___shot_f181_by_ferino_design-d36glca.jpg

It's going to stay in my memory forever, as it's the one that gave me a reason not quit photomode for years to come. After taking this shot I realized that GT5's photomode is actually more than it is in other games, where the screenshot function is almost immediately forgotten.

7, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes. Different techniques, actually, I can edit some shots slightly - change the lighting, toning or contrast. Others may need more manipulations like drawing, cropping, adding layers, textures and filters. I use Photoshop for all of the above.

8, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
I'm almost satisfied with everything, just need more Premiums and more freedom while moving the camera around, also the white balance correction and more shutter speed options. And, of course, the smoke jaggies issue should be fixed.

There's one piece of advice - sincerely love what you want to do, try more and more, no matter what, and everything is going to be successful.

During the spring of 2011, when I was starting to enter GTP more and more, I was getting inspiration from the works of RetroGiant, GPR, SlipZtrEm, gtuned, Moglet, Revolution, and of course Big Ron, and many other guys.

Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
Don't know if it's against the rules, but I'd like to see what leeislee has to tell.

P.S.: Special thanks SMfan, which a helped me with the translation into English!

Thanks Ilya. 👍 I'll PM Lee and see what he says :sly:

Last edited:
Very interesting interview, Ilya. I can't believe that picture is unedited - it's so gorgeous. By the way, I haven't forgotten to send you a picture of you-know-what (;)); it's just that I still haven't gotten the 'required accessory'.

During the spring of 2011, when I was starting to enter GTP more and more, I was getting inspiration from the works of RetroGiant, GPR, SlipZtrEm, gtuned, Moglet, Revolution, and of course Big Ron, and many other guys.

wat.
All these past interviews have been awesome, I think maybe we should do Pt.2's to some, with personal questions like Mitch said, and stuff like What projects do you really want to do, any ideas and stuff like that.

wat.
All these past interviews have been awesome, I think maybe we should do Pt.2's to some, with personal questions like Mitch said, and stuff like What projects do you really want to do, any ideas and stuff like that.
I'm not a fan of personal questions but if everyone else wants them then sure, i'll add them. 👍

Wow - three great interviews from three of the greatest photographers on the 'Planet' - SlipZtrEm, RetroGiant and jBhIpS. Very insightful answers from each of you and I'm also really looking forward to what leeislee has to say. 👍 :)

Only just found this. It's nice to see the insight of some photographers. 👍

Thanks for the mention Shoalin! :D :cheers:

I look forward to seeing what Lee has to say, and I personally would enjoy the addition of the personal questions as long as they aren't too personal.

Ok, If everyone (who is interested) gives 5 Questions they would like included i could pick the best ones or we could put it to a vote. 👍

nothing to personal though, Try to keep it some what relevant to the creative side of things maybe?

Yep more great interviews. Enjoyed them very much. I'm honored to be mentioned as an inspiration to Ilya, I really wouldn't have expected that. So thanks man. 👍 Your stuff is always very creative and very well done and sometimes I'm like 'how the hell did he do that!'

Looking forward to more. :)

Ok, If everyone gives 5 Questions they would like included i could pick the best ones or we could put it to a vote. 👍

Vote sounds good to me.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this thread really, i mean people may read it but there is hardly any feedback to it.

Not sure an extra few questions would help!

I might suggest a question: "What's your 1st photo, what do you think about it and your improvement over the years/months?"

Keep this thread going Lee - it is excellent! 👍

There may be not to much feedback - but is still an essential read.

Posting a first photo and reflecting on it is a good idea, too.

Ok, well i'll add some new questions to the next one, Me, and after that any other good suggestions will be added to the rest. 👍

Last edited:
Part 17

leeislee

1, How about an introduction?
Hello all, My name is Lee. I'm from Liverpool, England but I now live in North Wales having moved here 2 years ago. I live with my girlfriend Michelle and our 2 cats Moo & George.

2, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
I have been playing GT since GT1. I then moved onto GT2 but i didn't play GT3 even though i bought it. I found it too cartoony looking so i skipped it and jumped into GT4. I even played and loved Tourist Trophy.

Even though i started taking photos in GT4 i never really liked them. The textures & pixelation always ruined the photos for me.

This is one of my GT4 shots i like:

ruf1copy.jpg

I didn't get a PS3 until mid 2011 so i was late to the party. My girlfriend bought me GT5 and before i installed it i was expecting the photomode improvement to be amazing.

The improvement over GT4 was indeed amazing and i started to take some shockingly bad photos but after a few goes i did start to improve. I do find find the GT5 photos need some post work to make them really, really good. I just hope that GT6 blows me away in both game play and in the photomode...here's hoping.

3, What was the first picture you took in GT5?
The first thing i done when i got GT5 was to gold all the licenses then started to aquire cars i liked. The first shot i took after i got a few decent cars was this one, It wasn't a serious shot. I was messing around with the features and this poor effort is the first shot i took.

bernmarktgasseg.jpg

4, And your first edit?
My first edited shot was this one:

This shot was from my first drive in the SambaBus around Toscana at night. I wanted to do a shot of a VW parked across or driving away from a major city. Of course i added everything else to another wise dark and poor picture, i even added the other wing mirror as i can't stand that there is only one on the bus!

5, How would you describe your photography style?
I like certain things over others, I'm definitely not a fan of daft looking cars that are flying through the air or drifting all over the place, I always like my pictures in GT5 and in real life to have an artistic look to them.

I tend to take photos that I would want hanging on my wall.

6, In your opinion what makes a great photo?
Like many here have eluded to, Composition, Light, Subject, Colour, Feeling etc etc. A picture should make you love it before you have a chance to study it. If you need to spend an hour looking at it before you make your mind up then it isn't a good picture.

But I’m also aware that people's tastes vary so what I find good may not be enjoyed by others.

7, What is your favourite car to shoot?
So many amazing cars to choose from though but, I'm a big fan of classic cars like the Charger, Challenger, Mustang, Cobra and the old school race cars. I also love taking shots of the many super cars in the game, you can't go wrong with the Ferrari’s, Lambo's, LFA's, Citroen GT's etc but...I do love my Beetles and Samba Buses. I just wish there were more classic British cars and way, way less Japanese cars.

I pretty much never shoot standards apart from the Furai because it is amazing!

I should have a go at the standards because there are some of my favourite cars in there. I loved the Countach as a kid. I remember seeing a poster of one. A red Countach with a busty woman standing next to it...Now where is that busty babe option in Photomode?! :sly:

8, What is your favourite location to shoot?
That is an easy one. SSRX. The lighting there is amazing if you set it right and with the right car you just can't beat it.

I love using the weather change mode on the various tracks, If you set the weather to 25% you can get some lovely alternate lighting to the usual lighting at that track. My favourite track to drive is Eiger.

9, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
The next one...! No, That is a really tough one but, from all the ones I’ve taken and shared with everyone I’ll have to go with the first of my Metropolis set. It's not my favourite picture but it's my favourite type of picture. I love futuristic scenes so this suits me down to the ground

Metropolis...Somewhere In Time

Almost everything in it apart from the car and road obviously, was created by me. It didn't take too long and in comparison to my other art work outside of GT5 it was a pretty quick edit. 3-ish hours I think. I didn't go into too much detail with the background because I wanted the light to be the main part of the overall shot.

It's always instinctive to go for that Bleak, Rainy, Blade Runner type futuristic cityscape which I really love but, for this shot I wanted a positive, bright and colourful utopian type of future scape.

I don't know, I love most of mine to be honest, I could have chosen any of them really. I love that Beetle with the roof rack....and the rainy 458...and the Autumn Aston....and...........:sly:

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes. For basic edits that need a little help I tend to stick to using Levels, Curves, Colour and a little sharpening. For the major edits I use anything and everything I can to achieve the results I’m after.

I'm not a fan of unedited photos from GT5 because like I said before, If I wouldn't have it on my wall then I don't take the shot.

I always have an idea in my head for a set and I can see it as a finished piece before I even shoot so I know what kind of shot I need to take before I turn the PS3 on.

I tend to take between 3 or 5 shots per shoot so I don't get tired of the same old shots and I can quickly start editing them instead of looking through 100s of shots.

Sometimes I feel like taking a quick shot and making a simple edit, these tend to be my least favourite shots in my gallery.

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
I'm not the biggest fan of the photomode as it is currently, The camera positioning is just too restrictive so a lot of shots tend to use similar angles. That would be the main thing I would change, total free roam capabilities. Oh, and the ability to save the settings.

12, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
This is going to be a long answer because it's something I’m passionate about...

Similar to what I tell my students when I teach Guitar and Music Theory etc, you should learn as much as you can and don't settle for anything less.

I often get students telling me that they don't want to learn music theory because people have told them that music theory makes you lose all your feeling when playing or because they don't need to learn it, Hmm, I love telling them how wrong they are. It's LAZY!

I have learnt loads of music theory, different styles, sight reading etc and I relish it, It has made me 1,000,000% a better player.

If you can learn techniques and anything else that improves you then why wouldn't you? whether it's Music, Photoshop, Photography, Driving, Sculpture, Acting, Gardening, Cooking or whatever.

I love learning, I learn as much as I can and get as good as I can in everything I do and that is the main advice I’d give to anyone. It makes me proud to get good at things and there is nothing better than seeing something amazing that you've created.

Don't let anyone tell you that editing photos is 'Cheating' because it isn't. It's the Lazy people trying to make you feel bad because they can't be bothered learning and making themselves better.

An interesting fact that you should all remember is that EVERY photo used in print has gone through an Adobe process of some sort at one time in it's production. If it's good enough for the worlds best photographers and designers then it's good enough for the rest of us.

When people say that a shot is unedited I can enjoy it for what it is but I always look at it as if it is half finished and can't help but want the creator to improve it. I mean, I know I’m repeating myself here but, Why settle for something that just looks alright, Make it the best you can that way you can look at it and be very proud of it.

(It's different for things like the PM competition that require unedited shots but for everything else it should be made the best you can).

This isn't only true of Photoshop by the way...GIMP, PaintShop, Paint.Net or whatever else you use, learn it, love it and improve. Even if you can only manage to get better at messing with the Brightness or contrast of a program then do it the best you can.

I can't emphasize my outlook on this enough, Learning one thing, improving a tiny bit every day will make you improve so fast.

Don't try to compete with people because there is always someone better than you, keep to your own route and find your own style. If you're not an artistic person then just try to improve from the level you're at, no need to try to be the greatest person ever to try anything, just push yourself further.

The people here on GTPlanet who are amazing at editing didn't just open Photoshop and end up with amazing edits, they started off like me, like all of us, making mistakes and making poor pieces of art or whatever, but the worst thing you can do is quit. Start slow and start at the bottom, don't try and jump in and create a masterpiece because you will be disappointed.

The first thing I created in Photoshop was a website button and it was crap but I was proud I done it.

Don't quit and don't settle for mediocrity. Aim high and be stubborn in your endeavours and you WILL get good.

A good way to improve in general as a photographer is to find a shot you love and try to replicate it, that way you can see the process the person who made it went through then you can add your own twist on it.

Aside from the lecture I’m giving on improving yourself, Have a go at tutorials, ask people you admire questions about how they achieve their results. I love sharing and if I had the time I would litter this forum with tutorials but I’m afraid people would get sick of me! :sly:

Oh, Try and remember the composition. concentrate on Aperture and shutter speed.

A good tip is to limit yourself to say, 5 photos per shoot. That way you know each shot will have to count and before you press the shutter, LOOK at the shot for about 10/20/30 seconds and ask yourself honestly, Is this the best shot I can take? If it isn't then don't shoot it because all you will learn is to ignore your mistakes.

I like to have an idea for a set before I start shooting. I'll set myself a task like, A Summer Drive set or The Future etc and I’ll try my best to stick to that brief. I get bored of random shots in GT5 so I find sticking to a concept really helps. Give it a go.

A good playlist with various types of music really helps a shoot. I have a futuristic music playlist for my future shots, Moody music for my moody shots, Rock/Metal music for any fast aggressive shots etc.

Oh, and don't take photos of cars with stupid camber on the wheels. They look horrible! hehe.

Too long? Phew! (I could go on and on about this subject)

13, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
My word, there are so many to mention. Everyone on here is an influence. some of the talent on here is amazing and we also have welcomed many new members here and it amazes me how fast they have improved.

Some people I really admire are (In no particular order): DarkR, Miklad, BMXmitch, Mazda787, SlipZtrEm, Nato_777, Gtuned, slzk, 20832, Zerox, ShaolinMasta, RetroGiant, jBhIpS, SMfan, NBDESIGNZ, Horde, Ceiling Fan, Kodje, Taiga, ZZZ, lilmann, Moglet (whatever happened to him?)....And many more. sorry if i've missed anyone out but I could go on and on and on and on.

If I missed you out, consider yourself an inspiration to me because you are. Anyone i remember i will add to the list!

One thing I need to mention is the friendly atmosphere on here. 👍

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?
I'm massively into my Photography, Art, Design and Music. I also write books and so far I've started 6 books although none are finished as the research needed to get the story to seem 'real' takes ages.
Have a look at some examples of my Photography

I tend not to upload many of my personal pieces of art because i got sick and tired of them being stolen and used by people. But i do have some bits to view online.
Have a look at some examples of my Art

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
One of the first people on GTPlanet I noticed and one of the most consistent contributors on the forum, I'm surprised he hasn't been on here before....Miklad, you're next.

Thanks Lee. Incredibly long and boring answers! :sly:

Last edited:
If anyone who has already been featured wants to have a go at some of the new questions then feel free to PM me your answers and i'll add them to your interview 👍

Keep the suggestions for more questions coming. 👍

Last edited:
Great one lee, really like how indepth you went on the tips section.
Also, i think Mog may of gotten lost in the abyss that is Florida :lol:

13, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
Some people I really admire are (In no particular order): DarkR, Miklad, BMXmitch, Mazda787, SlipZtrEm, Nato_777, Gtuned, slzk, 20832, Zerox, ShaolinMasta, RetroGiant, jBhIpS, SMfan, NBDESIGNZ, Horde, Ceiling Fan, Kodje, Taiga, ZZZ, lilmann, Moglet (whatever happened to him?)....And many more. sorry if i've missed anyone out but I could go on and on and on and on.

What's that now? I believe you made a mistake good sir.

Other than that, fantastic read, Lee! I can tell you are a very passionate digital photographer. Your advice is top-notch! You've done quite a bit for the photomode community. And for that, I thank you.

Best 20min without a break I've spent in this thread forum (reading and enjoying your art/photography). Very inspiring "interview" and outstanding answers.

Good to see people that are never resigned. 👍

Also thank you for including me in that list of people. I'm here only for 2 months now. :)

Excellent read Lee :)👍

Very passionate and honest - in fact, are you sure we're not related in some way??!! :dopey:

Looking forward to giving my slant on things. Thanks for the nomination, I thought I'd been forgotten. :nervous:

Latest Posts

Back