Photomode Photographers Q&A #35 - nanabu

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 379 comments
Part 21

BkS​

1, How about an introduction?
Hello, I'm Baljit (Bal-jeet), I am 18, second oldest in my family. I live in the central belt of Bonny Scotland, about 40 minutes from Edinburgh. I am a BMW enthusiast to the bone, I love my tech, particularly Android devices (that comes from my love of Linux), and I love my video games. I am quintessentially a geek (and yes I do wear glasses! )

I'm an easy going guy, I try to stay relaxed as much as possible, so keeping myself stress free by ignoring things like stupid arguments people have on Facebook, and avoiding what the media have to say. (Although at times, some of the stuff they say is absolutely hilarious from a contradicting point of view.) Being Scottish I have a quick-fire temper and can jump the gun a little when things get heated, so best to stay relaxed and enjoy what I make of life.

2, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
I haven't been taking photos that long in Gran Turismo, around 2/3 years. I consider myself a "baby" photographer when compared to people such as Ariesps, FishyJuice, etc.

3, What was the first picture you took in GT5?
I don't actually have the first photo I took, because I instantly deleted it because it was crap. I do however have one of the first photos I took from that photoshoot.

5877301020_1edc88632d.jpg

This was the one of the first I took, I remember that night I was really happy when I took this shot. As it was the first time I made the cross-process filter look good, and because I had finally worked out what the different types of panning modes do. I was only ever used to the focal, exposure & aperture settings which I had learned from my real-life photography.

4, And your first edit?
6095479230_21e0a8896a_z.jpg

As basic as it was, this was my first edit. My aim was to simply draw the viewers attention to the reflection in the puddle rather than the actual car itself. I did some slight levels/curves adjustment I believe here, but I didn't even watermark it, or even remove the GT5 watermark!

This photo was part of the first set for my gallery almost 2 years ago now. It's quite amazing to think it was that long ago.

5, How would you describe your photography style?
I'd probably say my style is creative and moody. I love to experiment with angles, aperture settings, lighting, shadow play. I'm really passionate about cars, about photography and cinematography, and so I try to make the most of my knowledge and try to convey some sort of emotion from what I visualize. The irony in all of that though is that I can really only take good pictures when I'm half asleep. Don't ask me why, but I can never have a great idea or plan for something during the day, which is why most of my sets are released at early hours in the morning. I find it rather humorous at best.

6, In your opinion what makes a great photo?
Having a rad beard, and an awesome mustache like myself. Na, I'm kidding.

Everyone here has basically covered everything there is to really convey what makes a "great" photo, however since I'm passionate about photography I want to touch on black & white photos and lighting.

I know lots of people love colour photos, and there have been some seriously god-like photos in colour from here, but for me personally it's a well done black and white photo that really gets me ticking. I'm known in the real-world of being, "an oldie" and it's because I am all very much for learning from the past.

In my eyes, black and white photography is the most simplistic form of photography one can tackle and I think it's crucial that we all try to learn how to convey emotion from what was the first forms of photography.

Black and white photography can have such powerful emotions when the person holding the camera can put what they truly visualize into picture. I believe it starts with learning how to understand what composition is, and how you can use lighting effectively.

This is one of the reasons most of my photography is dark, with low saturation or black and white. I love to play with lighting, I love showing off the curves of a car through effective lighting techniques such as shadow play or silhouetting.

I guess having that feeling of nostalgia is what I really try to convey to my viewers. Where they can connect and instantly know "hey he's trying to show off why this car handles so well" or "wow, I can totally relate to loving that particular part of the [car]."

7, What is your favourite car to shoot?
My favourite car to shoot definitely has to be either, the BMW E60 M5, the Nissan R35 GTR or the Ferrari F40. The lines on all of these cars have such periodic lines, [classic/retro/boxy & modern/curvy.] I'd personally love to have the BMW E30 M3, because that is my favourite car of all time and I would honest take photos of that car all-day and not get tired, haha.

8, What is your favourite location to shoot?
I'm not sure I have a favourite location as such, I'm mostly drawn to places like the Nordschleife for realism, but Mt. Aso & Monza are up their too.

I'm not really for Route X, I don't particularly like the blandness of it. I love somewhere with scenery, and somewhere I can convey things like speed or curves. Places with dynamic lighting but have a nice balance of scenery.

9, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
8279587624_08e87f8f39_z.jpg

This is my favourite picture for a number of reasons. In my opinion it really defines my style, and the way I have been trying to convey my take on GT photography, as well as automotive photography. It has the drama, the passion, but it also has the sexiness I look for in cars.

The lighting really helped show the important lines of the car, and what really gives it's character, but I think above all of that, there are some obvious mistakes in it, which show that I'm human, I'm not perfect and neither is my photography. What you see is what you get, and this photo was well recieved by the frequent viewers of my gallery, but also some newer faces.

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
I do edit my pictures, and quite heavily too using Photoshop CS5. I usually start out with duplicating my background layer twice, then apply a high pass filter to the second duplicated layer.

After that I switch it to soft light blending mode, and if need be duplicate that layer. I play around with the opacity of those layers then I "flatten" the layers leaving the original background layer intacted.

I then disable my original background layer and then desaturate the duplicate layer then flatten that layer and duplicate it. I then invert the duplicated layer, switch it to soft light, and mess around with the opacity again. Once I've done that, I whip out my trusty steed, "le curves." Press Ctrl+M to bring up the curves tool, I start playing with the RGB channel, making my shadows "lighter" but also balancing the mid-range too. This then gives the impression of an older looking photo, and then if I have to add anything like "film noise" or adjust brightness/contrast I continue to do so.

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
I wouldn't remove any features if I'm honest, more the merrier. I think a welcomed addition to photomode however would be proper filters.
Things like ND Filters, where you can adjust the over exposed skies when trying to get that perfect exposure for focusing on the car.

I totally agree with Moglet, that we need studio lighting when in photomode/phototravel. It makes sense to be able to set a nice exposure for the sky, and be able to light up the shadows of the car with studio lighting to give off a really cool looking photo.

I've tried this with many different exposures where I would take an over-exposed photo, to make the shadowy parts of the car seem like they are in light and then replace the over-exposed parts with better exposed ones from the same photo at different exposures.

You could call it a HDR mash-up.

12, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Yes, I do. Take your time like Moglet said. There isn't any rush. Make your photo the best it can be, and scrutinize your work! The best photos are done with due care and attention to detail.

Try new techniques like shadow play or one of my favourites, infrared (IR) photography.

There is so much talent around here, it's EASY to get inspiration from anyone, or anyone's idea.

As Mr Thomas Stearn Eliot once wrote: "Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."

Basically what he's saying is; good photographers copy, great photographers steal and make something better, or completely different.

If you don't try, you never learn, but I think what I really want to resonate with people is this.

When you take a photograph, that photo is sending a message. Be prepared for a response whether it is good or bad. Take from the responses and learn what you could've done better. Learn from your(s) and other people's mistakes.

13, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
There are a lot of people who inspire, but when I first joined the GT photography scene here on GTP, it was people like TVR&Ferrari Fan, FishyJuice, 20830, ShoalinMasta & Zambucca who really inspired my works for their different and unique styles.

Particularly Mr Pebb (TVR&Ferrari Fan).

He inspired me to start my own gallery on GT5 because I knew him from FM.net and I just loved his style of shooting.

This then followed on to people like Taiga, GTuned & Moglet.

People like DarkR and AdrianF1 inspire me with their realistic / minimal editing styles.

Like I said, there is so many people who inspire me and if I haven't mentioned you, I'm sorry, but know that you inspire me!

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?
I don't really have a special photo or piece of art, but you guys can always follow my real-life photography and happenings on Twitter/Instagram. My handle is @rawrimbally for both.

I would also say, take a look at my website, but that's currently down at the moment. Trying to resolve a technical issue.

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
I'd like to nominate TVR&Ferrari Fan. He's got such a unique style, and doesn't get much exposure.
I'd like to see what makes him tick.

Thanks BkS 👍

:lol: I just did one with the Aston. Think I'm just going to shoot black and white from now on. Colour is over-rated! :dopey:

I am typing up the answers for my interview at the moment, but the answers may not be sent until Sunday at the earliest.

I am close to finishing up a draft version of my answers. As well as that I have let leeislee know, that he may have to tidy up some of the sentences.

It’s difficult to say as I’m no longer active within the community but back in the GT4 days I was inspired a lot by Bram Turismo, and Charger 440. More recently Slipz, Gtuned, ceiling fan and leeislee are coming to mind. I’ve made a fairly big list in my gallery before and that more accurately represents my inspirations as I’ve forgotten a lot of names!

me-gusta_meme.jpg

I miss them good ole' GT4 days 👍

Aye, the only hope I have left is PD releasing more DLC. But at this rate it doesn't look like they'll release much more content before GT6. A shame, really, I miss a lot of the GT3/GT4 tracks and some classic cars!

Perhaps they'll have finished re-rendering the textures in HD and release them from GT6. I can only hope. :nervous:

BkS
Perhaps they'll have finished re-rendering the textures in HD and release them from GT6. I can only hope. :nervous:

Or maybe I need to dust off my smudge tool from the GT4 days and upgrade the standard models to premium myself :sly:

Part 22

TVR&Ferrari_Fan​

Hello, my name is Jamie (26 years old) and for over 9 years I have been a member of GTPlanet. However visiting GTP as someone who works in retail wasn't my plan in life, because I was looking to make it as a goal keeper in football during my younger days.

While not going for the big wages. But as life progressed, my family and the last ever school I attended never helped out one bit or supported me in that part of my life.

A little bit more about myself and my family:
Well in terms of my family, I have a brother and sister who are older then me. And in terms of life, I work in retail, but my future aim is to work at Rooster Teeth. Then again if that doesn't happen then YouTube or photography is my backup plan, seeing how either of those is better then retail.

I started to play around with the photomode in the first week of GT4's release, but I wasn't able to start uploading shots until the first few weeks of September 2005 due to money mainly. But after that, I got some tips from a mix of members and improved in the months to follow.

While my first shot wasn't released, I would like to one day edit it and show what the composition looks like. But in terms of my first released shot, well it has to be the following image:

5204225547_db116c49f9.jpg

Also before GT5 came out, I posted up a mix of shots from GTHD & GT5: Prologue.

4, And your first edit?

5204822612_8b801e4aca.jpg

It is a basic edit, but I try to do my best to get a good balance of settings & composition for the stock version of a edited shot.

What I aimed for:
My aim for the shot was to give it some mood, while making sure the tunnel colours and lighting were improved without losing the sense of speed.

7, What is your favourite car to shoot?
No car is the top of my list, but the F2007 is the one I have enjoyed so far.

Reason: It comes down to the lines that it can produce. But there are other cars, which have been a hoot for me: Giulia TZ2 Carrozzata da Zagato, Mark IV Race Car, Miura P400 Bertone Prototype, Tuscan Speed 6

There are a lot of photo travel and race circuits that I enjoy to shoot at, but not in a sense that it causes me to use it in every update.

My personal favourite: Nürburgring Nordschleife or Nürburgring 24h - I enjoy both of these layouts, since it has a good balance between the moods and looks it can produce at day or night. Along with that location, my favourite photo travel has to be a tie between Kyoto - Shoren-in and Red Bull Hangar-7.

9, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?

5956153799_6a2006b1c1.jpg

While this isn't everyone's favourite it is mine, since it resembles something from astrophotography. But if the image was put in a astrophotography category, then it would fall under the Nebula group.

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Most of my updates contain mainly edited shots, but sometimes I try to include stock shots or have a stock shot only update.

What I do in terms of editing:
After trying to get a balance in composition and stock settings, I start with the following:

*Curves
*Levels
*Varations
*Contrast.

But after those tools are used, I move onto a mix of things mainly the clone tool or crop function. After that it starts to comes down to time, along with my experience with other tools for shots that involves more work.

Cleaning up cars: The way I clean up cars is with the smudge tool, while using other tools like burn, dodge and paint brush as well as the line tool from time to time.

Talking about heavy edits: Back in the GT4 days I did a small range of sub-heavy edits even if such a thing doesn't happen much now.

But as time advances you may one day see some more sub-heavy edits in GT5, seeing how I have done some slighty advanced edits in FM4.

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
I don't think they need to remove anything, but they do need to improve a range of current filters in GT5. While allowing us to do more with the settings, like the following:

*Get closer and further away from the shot, by changing the height and zoom settings.

Along with that, we need more options as you will find out below:

*More filters with the option to adjust the filters setting on the fly.

*Different lens

*What Moglet suggested in terms of studio lighting.

*Long Exposure setting

*Stop Motion

*Create panamoric shots in-game

*Lower shutter speeds in replays, with the motion blur effect being improved around the subject.

*Gamma and Hue, with an option to adjust individual colours and tones in the colour pallet.

*Create HDRI images for people without the money to buy good HDRI software.

*Real camera training option, which gives you the basic training in photomode on how a real camera handles settings like aperature and shutter speeds.

*Better focusing on more, then one car even if they are at different speeds and distances. Because at the moment if you want to keep a sharp focus on say three cars, then you will need the cars to be running at a level pace or close.

Plus if you take a still shot with two cars, then it can be hard to keep both of them in focus. However one of the subjects starts to blur more, when one of the cars moves further away from the other.

12, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
If you are struggling for ideas over a long period of time, take a break since you should enjoy life as it comes. Because if GT5 gets to you, then you won't be in the right condition to take more shots. Also don't do too many updates within a week, because it could cause your composition to fall to pieces.

Along with that, don't think heavy edits without the composition being looked first will lead to stunning shots.

If you are starting out: For some people it will take far less time to get a style down, because some people may have had experience in the past with any form of art/photography or a different type of photomode. Because while some people are born with a flair or gift, they still need training at least once in their life to move onto the next level.

As well as that you should try out different styles from time to time, to see what the results yield. And if possible use any of the experience you gain to improve your shots, and maybe your style.

My final thoughts - Aimed at newcomers: You should tweak the settings before taking a shot, because doing an instant shot doesn't produce the best results.

In terms inspriation from members, I don't really inspire to copy them. But I do use this thought as my main inspriation: "Everyone is improving all the time, and because of that, I better step up a gear."

What I do, when looking at shots or styles: I look at an image, and see what people are saying about it. While thinking can the idea be used in such a way, that it allows me to improve without getting rid of my style or styles.

Members that inspired me in my early photomode days (excludes GT5):
*G.T and jase86 - These two taught me to increase the brightness, seeing how my first GT4 shots were dark.

*jgda9rs and franz - Out of all the people that I worked with on any joint photomode projects, these two people were the most fun to work with. But when it came to working with them on the editing stage, it inspired me to improve on future photo editing software.

*NTX1982 and Sejtur - The thing I enjoyed most about their images was the use of colour, and composition. And to me they are important things to mention, also NTX's moody look was something that gave me a good insight into how GT4 & future games could look with such a style.

While showing in the process, that mood can play a big role in some shots.

*Moglet - His combination of composition and photo processing was one thing, that made me take the next step to improve my composition even further. Also playing with him on the Xbox 360, gave me a smile.

*Greycap, Fletch, Div is back and LGforce - The requests they sent me, made me want to do well for them seeing how their requests were some of my earliest one.

Other people - These people mainly inspired me with their edited GT4 images in such a way, that I knew how quickly people were improving:

*Perfect Balance, Revolution, MAGBURNER,
*440 CHARGER, alexwrc, Tangled Web,
*SlipZtrEm, LGforce, Nicknamealguem
*Tangled Web, jmx2222, jacoja06,
*BramTurismo, Cod_Father, Dead_Poetic

Final Words: Nicknamealguem and Slipz were two people, who made me want to improve the layout of my thumbnails over time. But that doesn't mean, I only viewed their updates for layout of any updates they released.

Because they even had, the right skill set to produce good images. As well as being kind to give out hints in their galleries from time to time.

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?
I used to do a lot of photography as my main adult hobby. But such a hobby is taking a backseat now, seeing how I have tried to get passes to do some proper photography work.

However the companies or websites, which I email never seem to get back to me.

Selected Photography work and non-GT based photomode work:
4340203909_cc8f1851e4_m.jpg
4558439952_f13a1004fc_m.jpg
4685685719_fceb1518db_m.jpg
5072754457_663f69e376_m.jpg
6128382361_0662ee96b6_m.jpg
6284906782_97be766ea2_m.jpg
8307038116_ae041e43fc_m.jpg
8306993414_c337c72cd3_m.jpg
8330153675_0c46d9c667_m.jpg

Flickr

Further Info: I have now started up a YouTube channel, seeing how I enjoy making videos. But the videos excludes fancy effects, seeing how I can't afford the software. | One of my YouTube videos

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
It would have to be NTX, seeing how he is one of those forgotten members who isn't as busy these days. But his work in GT4 and the FM series will be remembered more, then his GT5 work. However if he doesn't want to be interviewed, then my backup suggestion is Bram Turismo

Thanks Jamie 👍

Very interesting read Jamie, was nice to get more of an insight into a long time class act. Nice choice of fav shot, it is stunning. 👍

GPR
Very interesting read Jamie, was nice to get more of an insight into a long time class act. Nice choice of fav shot, it is stunning. 👍
I will attempt to do another shot, that is similar to my favourite shot.

@ Everyone else: Thanks for the comments.

The insight I got while reading your interview, Jamie, is truly priceless. The picture you've chosen as your personal favourite is very special and, actually, one of the pictures one will always remember. I also hope that you can get things sorted out as soon as possible. 👍

Awesome interview Jamie. Perhaps someday we can collaberate on a photoset together. :) Be it FM4/FH or GT5.

I've been reading interviews from time to time and I have to say this is an awesome thread! I remember Jamie used to do something similar in GT4. Thank you for doing this this leeislee.

Jamie, really nice interview and really flattered to be mentioned by a legend - it makes me want to step up on gallery layout. :D

Looking forward to NTX interview. :)

Part 23

NTX​

Hello everyone! My name is Nuno, (30 years old), I live in Portugal (Oporto), and I joined GT Planet back in 2006. I love videogames for quite some time, and my favourite ones are the Gran Turismo series (favourite GT game is GT 4), the Forza Motorsports series (favourite FM game is Forza Motorsports 4) and the NFS series, being my favourite one the most recent NFS Hot Pursuit. Of course I like other genre of games, like RPG, Action or RTS games, but in the racing department, those that I mentioned, are the ones I will always love. Ohhh, and I am a really nice guy :)

The 1st time was when I bought GT 4 and in that same day, I was lucky to find a place (GT Planet), where I could share my photos, so since February 2006. It seems it was yesterday :). Recently, I have been spending more time in Forza Planet rather than GT Planet (and right now, even there, I´m a little absent due to lack of time). I guess GT 4 was my home, I´ve never managed to dominate GT 5 the same way I did in GT 4, and I miss the simplicity of GT 4 photomode to be honest. That’s the reason that I´ve lost some interest in GT 5, and moved to the Forza series. (No hate please, Gran Turismo is not forgotten).

The 1st one it’s the same that it is in my GT 5 gallery at the 1st post, so here it is. :)

4, And your first edit?
See question number 3 eh eh :) It might not have an heavy edition, but simplicity always worked for me.

5, How would you describe your photography style?
Honestly, I don´t know if I have a style. I prefer capturing realist angles and situations at racings, but sometimes I also like wild captures, and vivid colours. I´m like a chameleon I guess. But the best way to know my photography style is asking to all the people that visited my galleries and since 2006 supports my work :). Still, I´m a rookie compared with some photomode “Gods” that always show us some “other world” photos.

6, What is your favourite car to shoot?
Eh eh, that’s an easy question. The Renault Clio V6. Yeah, I know I don´t have a shot from GT 5 in my gallery from this one, but you can always visit my gallery in Forza Planet and see what I mean eh eh :) Once more no hate people, I do not wish to re-ignite the eternal war between Gran Turismo VS Forza.
Still, I also enjoy capturing scenery shots, games like GT 4 and GT 5 surely have nice locations for us to snap a great looking photo!

Hmmm, well in GT 4 I always enjoyed the New York city track.That one surely gived a nice spot for good lightning and reflections, plus great shots on a city context.
In GT 5, Toscana (with tarmac) is an excellent spot for those mind-blowing, realistic looking photos. Plus all photo travel locations Lol :)
GT 5 sure has a spot for everyone to love to take their shots!

9, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes, I edit them in the good old Photoshop CS3. Never cared to update to CS5 for example. Techniques, if I can call that, I use the traditional adjust of brigntness, and some times, this is the part that I spend more time adjusting, because I always try to aim to the perfect “looking”. I also use most of the times a bit of grain. Got to mention Tangled Web when mentioning the use of grain, because thanks to his great looking grainy on the spot shots, I also started using grain in my shots. His work inspired me! Never managed to reach the perfection of Tangled Web though :)
A good mood (cold/warm) is also a thing that I use to edit my shots, using the PS Photo Filters. Diffuse Glow that was a tool that I use from time to time. As you can see, simple and basic techniques always worked for me. :)

Well, I don´t know if I can call a feature what I´m going to say, but Polyphony Digital, please let us save directly to a PEN drive like in GT4. Saving to the game gallery, then to XMB and then to a PEN it’s a complete waste of time (one of the reasons that made me loose interest in taking shots in GT5). Things haven’t changed yet right? (Haven´t played GT5 since last July).

12 Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
Oh my!!! I´ve seen so many great guys around here, and tried to capture a bit of inspiration from all. Guys like Atlop (the King of GT4 PMC Competitions), Alexwrc (Simply a GOD in GT4), TVR&FF (His unique camera captures and good use of brightness), Nicknamealguem (great overall techiques, and some cool looking realistic shots), Jgda9rs (an excellent photographer, with simply good looking shots), Tangled Web (The King of grain, and the King of drift shots back in the days). Guys like Jacoja, Slipztrem, Moglet, Franz, Bram Turismo, Swiss Legend, Beerzgood, Cod Father, also showed (and still are showing), that they mean business. I´m a tiny little guy compared to all of these guys. (Sorry if I forgot anyone else)

13, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
I would like to nominate Nicknamealguem. A good guy from my GT4 days around here, that really boosted his skills quite fast. I still remember his good looking shots ,with a unique touch, when I hosted the GT 4 Photomode Tournament. Oh man, I miss those days :)

P.S – I want to thank everyone for their friendship and support for all these years. This was, it is, and it will always be such a great community :)

Remembering the good old GT 4 days :)

Thanks NTX 👍

Nice interview as usual! 👍 Those GT4 shots makes me wanna open my PS2!
Let's hear the other Portuguese!

Latest Posts

Back