Time Trial #55

Spa is a power track, so I imagine you'll need a fully run in car with a coupe of oil changes to max the power, then ballast it back to reach the ppt limit and adjust the ballast position to fine tune the balance.

Has anyone tried this yet? What's the NASCAR feel like round Spa? More or less traction than the Vette? Understeery or oversteery balance?

Can't wait to try it, but it's likely going to be tomorrow night before I can have my 1st go.

I had a go earlier, got 2:19s with only aero and transmission changes using a 0 miles Camry. I set the gearing so top speed is 185mph just before Les Combes, fiddle with aero to balance the car, using 43/46 to give the car more front grip and loose rear without changing suspension, 10/7 BB no ABS :) The run was rather messy with late braking, rear sliding around and 1st lap ( cold tires ). I am sure with proper tuning 2:12s or 2:11s is possible.

I haven't driven a NASCAR since a WRS event at Indy Road...I think I got a 3rd behind Zoky and Ramon.

IIRC, it felt fairly decent though I do remember it always feeling quite heavy... That was back in the high front/low rear ride height days, so a new tune will be needed.

Edit...

Did some digging and it was WRS wk 11. General consensus at the time was that there's no difference in performance between the various models... though I guess this Seasonal will find out for sure.

Last edited:
It might be just me... but the car doesn't feel heavy at all.. took me a while to get used to the braking distance... kept braking way too early..

Does anyone know how many miles it takes to run a Nascar in? I have a few but I think they are all low mileage as last time I raced them on an oval track against other people I was a couple of seconds off the pace :crazy:

These things are already right at the PP limit... i'm trying to find the balance between power and downforce...

Does anyone know how many miles it takes to run a Nascar in? I have a few but I think they are all low mileage as last time I raced them on an oval track against other people I was a couple of seconds off the pace :crazy:

c.300km to fully run a car in IIRC... just send a Bob out in one of the enduros then do an oil change

These things are already right at the PP limit... i'm trying to find the balance between power and downforce...

Stock is 865bhp/1,565kg/575ppts, but the car makes 892bhp when fully run in.

So you should be able to run max power and max downforce and run some ballast to bring the ppt's back in line.

Mine was 824HP when I did 2:19s, so the car will need at least 2 oil change, when 1st bought and when fully broken in. Looks like a good tuning would be finding balance of power, ballast and aero + optimum gearing.

I was hoping NASCAR at Daytona Road Course as well - the track is a mainstay for my online lobby practice room, the 1st turn is always an adventure with no ABS + comfort tire :D Indy Road is also a good choice ... where braking and cornering are more important than power. When was the last time we had TT at Daytona Road or Indy Road using race cars ?

Thankfully for me not this is not at Daytona road... I absolutely hate the bus stop... it always feels like a fluke when I get a fast run through there that isn't dirty!

NASCAR on comforts? :lol:

Stock is 865bhp/1,565kg/575ppts, but the car makes 892bhp when fully run in.

So you should be able to run max power and max downforce and run some ballast to bring the ppt's back in line.

I thought they would all just cancel each other out.. ??

I managed a 2:15 so far with not much tinkering.. but the lap didn't count coz of a mistake when i ran wide.. my fastest offical lap is low 16

Thankfully for me not this is not at Daytona road... I absolutely hate the bus stop... it always feels like a fluke when I get a fast run through there that isn't dirty!

yep bus stops a handfull even in a bmw mclaren so nascar would have been tough its like the old spa track but twice the speed:nervous:

Nascar on dirt tires:scared:

mines only done 800 km and its up to 892 with an oil change

I thought they would all just cancel each other out.. ??

Running more power and more aero than stock will mean you have a lot more than 570ppts... So you'll need ballast to get the ppt's back down to the limit.

Unless it's faster with less than max aero, which might be true for rear wing, but I doubt it will be quicker with less than full front wing... there are a lot of comments about this car understeering when reading back through the old WRS thread.

Found the following (from Adrenaline's site, NASCAR) very interesting.

GTP_Cargorat(Spa)

He posts a tune which I'll try. Mind you it's from 2011, but others also comment on his and theirs.

Cargo;
Alright people, here is my first ever tune for a NASCAR car tuned in specific for use at Spa. This tune was done from scratch and not based from anyone elses tune. Since this is my first attempt at road course tuning, I would like some honest reviews, preferably from people that have experience and understanding of how these cars run. I'd like to see your lap times also. I am pretty satisfied with the setup and am quite happy with my lap times, I'd just like to see what others think. Thanks and feel free to flame away.

Kyle Bush 2011 Toyota Camry
Tires - Racing Soft
Chassis Reinforcement
892hp
Online tune
Track - Spa
No driving aids except ABS 1

AERO 50/70
LSD 20/7/7
RH -12/+10
SR 11.5/10.5
EXT 3/4
COMP 2/2
AR 1/7
CAMBER 1.5/0.5
TOE -0.15/-0.4
BRAKES 4/8
TRANSMISSION
1st 1.903
2nd 1.349
3rd 0.996
4th 0.857
FINAL 4.291
TOP SPEED 211mph with top speed at top at 208mph
So, there you have it. It may look a bit odd to you expert tuners out there but all I can say is it works for me. Any and all reviews welcome. Tips or criticisms also. Thanks.

I usually run no ABS practice with comfort medium restricted room at Daytona Road, some guys did pop up with 500+pp cars, I did many laps with old race cars like GT40, Mark IV, Trans Cammer, F40, V16T and newer supercars on comfort, a GTP member here even ran max power 700HP+ Yellowbird on CM and no ABS, certainly mad but fun, he was able to pull clean laps too. Too extreme for TT though:sly:

It's no wonder the Japanese have the top 5 times already at Tsukuba. This is the dream combo for them :lol:

GTP_Cargorat(Spa)

He posts a tune which I'll try. Mind you it's from 2011, but others also comment on his and theirs.

Cargo;
Alright people, here is my first ever tune for a NASCAR car tuned in specific for use at Spa. This tune was done from scratch and not based from anyone elses tune. Since this is my first attempt at road course tuning, I would like some honest reviews, preferably from people that have experience and understanding of how these cars run. I'd like to see your lap times also. I am pretty satisfied with the setup and am quite happy with my lap times, I'd just like to see what others think. Thanks and feel free to flame away.

Tires - Racing Soft
Chassis Reinforcement
892hp
Online tune
Track - Spa

AERO 50/70
LSD 20/7/7
RH -12/+10
SR 11.5/10.5
EXT 3/4
COMP 2/2
AR 1/7
CAMBER 1.5/0.5
TOE -0.15/-0.4
BRAKES 4/8
TRANSMISSION
1st 1.903
2nd 1.349
3rd 0.996
4th 0.857
FINAL 4.291
So, there you have it. It may look a bit odd to you expert tuners out there but all I can say is it works for me. Any and all reviews welcome. Tips or criticisms also. Thanks.

Running with racing hards will affect both the suspension settings and the LSD quite dramatically I would think.

I usually run no ABS practice with comfort medium restricted room at Daytona Road, some guys did pop up with 500+pp cars, I did many laps with old race cars like GT40, Mark IV, Trans Cammer, F40, V16T and newer supercars on comfort, a GTP member here even ran max power 700HP+ Yellowbird on CM and no ABS, certainly mad but fun, he was able to pull clean laps too. Too extreme for TT though :sly:

The Yellowbird is lethal at stock power on sports tyres, so god knows how tricky it is with 700bhp and comforts :lol: It would need some serious tuning!

I remember one of the GT5P on-line races was a Vette road car at Daytona Road on the equivalent of comfort hards (with no tuning)... it was hillarious up to a point. Almost nowhere could you use full throttle and it would drift in 5th on the banking... you had to start braking for turn 1 about half a mile from the corner :lol: It wasn't a very popular race.

Racing cars like that isn't much fun as far as I'm concerned as the line between staying on track and crashing becomes too narrow - I end up under-driving the car just to stay on the track... which feels boring.

Running with racing hards will affect both the suspension settings and the LSD quite dramatically I would think.

That tune has chassis reinforcement... which I would almost always say is a bad thing to fit.

Still, try it and see what it's like :)

Running more power and more aero than stock will mean you have a lot more than 570ppts... So you'll need ballast to get the ppt's back down to the limit.

Unless it's faster with less than max aero, which might be true for rear wing, but I doubt it will be quicker with less than full front wing... there are a lot of comments about this car understeering when reading back through the old WRS thread.

I am gonna start off trimed out very low downforce i think the weight will slow such a heavy car down its gonna be 1800kg max

when i start running 2.55 ill admit i am wrong :dunce:

GTP_Cargorat(Spa)

Cargo;

Tires - Racing Soft
Chassis Reinforcement
892hp
Online tune
Track - Spa

AERO 50/70
LSD 20/7/7
RH -12/+10
SR 11.5/10.5
EXT 3/4
COMP 2/2
AR 1/7
CAMBER 1.5/0.5
TOE -0.15/-0.4
BRAKES 4/8
TRANSMISSION
1st 1.903
2nd 1.349
3rd 0.996
4th 0.857
FINAL 4.291

That tune was obviously done awhile ago on racing softs and was like my first ever tune when I was first learning how to tune. Since then, we have had many patches, some of which have changed the physics so I seriously doubt it is any good anymore. You are sure welcome to use it tho and maybe build from it, but in its present state I seriously doubt it will be competitive.

What a difference time makes tho because my tune now looks nothing like that.:lol: Spa is like my testing ground for my NASCAR tuning so I should do alright on this one. I busted a stitch open yesturday so it will be a few days before I try this, but I can't wait to get on the track. Hell, I may just tape myself up and have a go at it anyway.:lol:

Anyway, I'm as happy as a kid in a candy store and can't wait to get at it. Maybe I can be my best finnish of 27th in the last NASCAR TT.

Its early here yet so I'll post a tune later today for you guys to try. Peace.

Mitch "CargoRatt"
NGU

Haha new TT can't wait to get home now :-)
Hey I just put my RX-7 on share...please give it a run and let me know what you think of it.
I'm to tired to do anymore tuning on it tonight.:drool:

Hey I just put my RX-7 on share...please give it a run and let me know what you think of it.
I'm to tired to do anymore tuning on it tonight.:drool:

No probs mate I would love to give it a go soon as I get of work mate. What track is it for? The TT?

No probs mate I would love to give it a go soon as I get of work mate. What track is it for? The TT?
Yes '80s 400PP Tsukuba TT

Not quite as bad as the Vette was but you'll still need to exercise some throttle control to keep the rear in check.
I've done a 1:09.5 with it and been nearly a second up on that time only to blow the last corner.:mad:
Still some things I want to try with the tune, but like I said, I'm to tired to think straight right now.

Yes '80s 400PP Tsukuba TT

Not quite as bad as the Vette was but you'll still need to exercise some throttle control to keep the rear in check.
I've done a 1:09.5 with it and been nearly a second up on that time only to blow the last corner.:mad:
Still some things I want to try with the tune, but like I said, I'm to tired to think straight right now.

Thanks mate I will get on it soon as I get home and will let you know how I get on ;-)

The favourite seems to be the Eunos (NA Special Package) '89 looking at the leaderboards... about 90% of the top 250 are using it, and all the top 10.

Back