◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,756 comments
I can make a point of being awake then :) Care for a test run???

For tracks say:

Autumn Ring Mini
Tsukuba
Laguna Seca
Spa (7 Laps)

Whatever works for you is fine.
I will be there:) with my cars

Jobyone71 (Matte Dark Gray)- Gathers Drider Civic Race Car '98 (422) - Audi S3 '02 (412) - BMW M Coupe '98 (400) - Toyota MR2 1600G '86 (359) - total PP 1593

I would say that I would prefer Daytona Road Course (9 Laps) to Autumn ring. The main reason is the high speed sections really add a nice variable to the car selections. Your really need HP for that track;)

Jobyone71 (Matte Dark Gray)- Gathers Drider Civic Race Car '98 (422) - Audi S3 '02 (412) - BMW M Coupe '98 (400) - Toyota MR2 1600G '86 (359) - total PP 1593

I would say that I would prefer Daytona Road Course (9 Laps) to Autumn ring. The main reason is the high speed sections really add a nice variable to the car selections. Your really need HP for that track;)

I was just thinking about ramping the length of the tracks up as the night went on, making HP more important for each track.

As I said, whatever you think 👍

I really like this idea, but I don't race on Mondays.

I was just thinking about ramping the length of the tracks up as the night went on, making HP more important for each track.

lets just mess around a bit. I really want to see what happens when we have a variety of different PP cars and different skill drivers on track.

Mondays are not the best for me either. I would really just like to see this event run every so often on different nights when people want to do something a bit different

lets just mess around a bit. I really want to see what happens when we have a variety of different PP cars and different skill drivers on track.

Mondays are not the best for me either. I would really just like to see this event run every so often on different nights when people want to do something a bit different

Sounds good 👍

Maybe run slightly shorter races, so we can try a few more tracks out.

Wanted to throw this out for the guys that signed up yesterday. We've had a few posts since then and things can get buried quickly here :lol:

Jobyone replied to MentalSlasher, Lilkobe2 and GCarneiroBR with the S.N.A.I.L. welcome and info post here.

Just wanted to make sure you guys saw it, we're getting ready to start our February season and would love it if you could get your time trials in so we can get you in a Divison and on track Sunday night 👍

P.S. can you tell I'm not at work today :lol:

Anybody have any "crash course" advice on learning MT? Would be highly appreciated.

I can see it now... Jester across the line in ...WTF ...1st gear?
I am sure there is lots of good advice you will get from fellow S.N.A.I.L.s. I always suggest the following when trying to get to grips with a new tracks or trying to get used to driving without aids etc. I think it might help in the transition from Auto to Manual.

A few suggestions for anyone trying to ween your self off of the aids in the game (automatic transmission, tractions control, racing line etc). This is a modification of a technique that Sir Jackie Stewart uses to teach people to drive faster. Before you start this exercise you can always run a few laps with everything set as you would normally to get an idea of your lap time. If you do that you can compare it to your time at the end of this exercise. I hope that you will see a real improvement. But the key here is not absolute lap time but taking full control of the car yourself. With practice your lap times will improve.

First you need to choose a car and a track. I would suggest using a front engined rear wheel drive car for this. Nothing to powerful so something like a Honda S2000 works well. Second put some hard tires on it. So in S.N.A.I.L. we would run the S2000 with Sports Hard tires so for this exercise run it with Comfort Soft.

Now choose a track. It does not have to be one you are familiar with but choose one that has a good variety of turns. Make sure grip is set to real and tire wear is on.

This should take about 10 laps to get a good feel for the car and track and how it is to either manually shift or to run without aids. For the first 5 laps do the following

Lap one - use only first gear
Lap two - use first and second gear only
Lap three - use first, second and third only
Lap four - use first, second, third and fourth only
Lap five - use all gears necessary

It is very important during these 5 laps to resist the urge to change up to a higher gear than indicated. The goal is to learn the track and what gears you should be in for each corner. Chances are the first lap you will be able to take flat out. On some tracks you may need to brake a bit for a turn or two but most of the time you will be flat out. If you can try not to just bounce of the rev limiter. Try to modulate the throttle so that you are holding the RPM's just below the redline/cutout. This will help to teach you god throttle control. The key on this lap is to focus on following the racing line (the real one not the artificial one the game can show you).

After that first lap start using 2nd gear. At this point you should see a real drop in your lap time. You should also have a good idea of any turn that you will need to slow down for. This lap will probably have a few shifts for you to perform but the main thing will be to continue to follow the racing line and work on a few of the braking points.

Now at the start of lap 3 you can use 3rd gear. So at this point you should be expecting a similar drop in lap time. Well you may find out that does not happen. Why? Well suddenly you are traveling much faster into the slower turns which means you have to adjust your braking points, perform shifts and modulate the throttle more. You may be a bit faster and if so that is good. If you are slower it means you just need another lap in those gears. Once you are truly faster (hopefully at the start of lap 4) you can start using 4th.

Again at this point you may find that you go slower. This is a good indication that you are not paying attention to your braking. Make sure you brake early and get in the right gear for the corner. By this lap you should know which gear you should be in for every turn on the track. Once your lap time is faster start using all the gears.

Some tracks you may not even need 5th gear so from here simply run 5-6 laps. The goal is not to go off track, not hit any walls and not spin. If that means braking early then brake early. Gradually you will get more comfortable with the track, the car and the controls and slowly you should be able to improve your time.

After 10 laps take a break. Get up stretch your legs. When you come back swap to the normal tires S.N.A.I.L. would use on the car (Sports Hard for an S2000) and run few laps on the track. Hopefully you will feel more confident with the car, track and controls and be setting constantly faster laps than before the exercise.

I hope this helps and it is a technique I still use to learn a new track.

I hope this helps and it is a technique I still use to learn a new track.

Jobyone. Wow. Thanks. This sounds like a great way to practice. Thanks also for taking the time to post all of that as well. I have been off of all the other aids for quite awhile now, but the AT to MT has me a bit scared. I'll be sure to go through these steps when I get back home.

BTW are any of you guys/gals teachers. I am, and you all act like professional teachers in the way you explain and break things down.

Gotta return to my boring convention. Thanks again all.

S.N.A.I.L. Division Placement Time Trial

• Track : Mazda Laguna Seca
  • Car : Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) ’02 - from the recommended list, not your own broken in car!
  • Tires : Sport Soft
  • Grip : Real
  • Driving Aids : Only ABS allowed

How to run a GT5 Time Trial
  1. Select 'Arcade Mode' from the GT5 main menu.
  2. Select 'Time Trial'.
  3. Click on the 'World Circuits' tab.
  4. Select 'Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca'.
  5. Select 'RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02 (it's the 33rd car from the left).
  6. Choose any color.
  7. Choose your transmission preference (Automatic of Manual).
  8. Change the front and rear tires to Sports Soft.
  9. Turn the Driving Line Off.
  10. Set the Traction Control to Off.
  11. Turn Skid Recovery Force to Off.
  12. Change the Grip Reduction to Real.
  13. Click 'OK'.
  14. Click 'Start' and run about 10-15 laps.
  15. Private Message (PM) kcheeb with your best lap time.

Thanks big help

Thanks Pyxen. Good info. I'm going to try this when I get home Saturday night.

Jester also if you are going to look at rpms make sure you are in cockpit view. The HUD rpms can be way off, I.e. the cappuccino HUD rpms are off by literally 1000. Use the instrument cluster in cockpit view

Have we posted the Steward's Report for the January 27th race night?

EDIT: I can't find one and I know Apmaddock has been very busy, so here it goes. My apologies to everyone for such a long delay.

Your Steward Report for the Week
For January 27th, 2013

Division 1

GumballCGT
Level 2 - 4 points halved to 2 for on track concession. ( racing incident at GVS)
Level 3 - 9 points (racing incident at Rome)
Total -11 points. 3 weeks probation.

OwensRacing
Level 1 -3 points (racing incident at Rome)
1 week probation.

Division 4

Schmiggz
Level 3 -9 points halved to 5 points for on track concession. (racing incident at Rome)
Off tracks -3 points.
Total -12 points. 3 weeks probation.

Your Steward Report for the Week
For January 20th, 2013

Division 1

GumballCGT
Ghosting Penalty -1 point (Corvette at Monza)

wiifreak
Level 2 -6 points (racing incident Caterham at Leguna Seca)

HillRacing
Level 2 -6 points (racing incident Corvette at Monza)

Worst Driver
Ghosting Penatly -1 point (Corvette at Monza)

These changes affect the final standings.

Sorry again for such a long delay.

***If you were penalized and would like further explanation regarding the incident, just PM your Division Steward and they will let you know what the stewards saw and our opinions on it.***

Thanks to the stewards for all their efforts. I've updated the results posts from January 20th and January 27th.

Joe, it looks like you may have added Schmiggz penalties incorrectly. Please confirm that it should be 8 points total and not 12. Thanks!

OK, IM ON THE '' New S.N.A.I.L.s'' how know what division i have to be ?
thank you !

The welcome post has all the information in it, it's really quite good :)

You need to run the time trial and PM me your time. The instructions for the time trial can be found here, it's also linked in jobyone's post and a couple of posts back :)

I want in! It's rkwarren

Hey rkwarren,

Thanks for your interest! If you want in who are we to stop you:) As for me I want it now. I want Cake Now. I want it now. Anyway. We are always happy to have drivers who race clean. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You run the Time Trial. (NOTE: The tires selected for this have more grip than our current tire regulations allow, but please follow the directions exactly anyways).
2. You PM kcheeb with your time from the time trial (no Sunday racing until this is completed).
3. We assign you to the division that we feel will give you the closest competition.
4. We send you a you a PSN friend request from the corresponding SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That PSN account's lounge is where you will race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

Please note that we often race DLC from three add-on packs:

Racing Car Pack
Course Pack
Twin Ring Motegi Pack

If you don't have these add-on packs, you will need to sit out the races in which they are used.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Joby,
Will the races be like round 1.. all FFs... then round 2 FRs.. etc.
Or anyone is going to get in in any order they choose?

What about tires? Will be all running the same tires no matter the PP?

So, when are we racing? This Monday?

Jobyone71 (Matte Dark Gray)- Gathers Drider Civic Race Car '98 (422) - Audi S3 '02 (412) - BMW M Coupe '98 (00) - Toyota MR2 1600G '86 (359) - total PP 1593

Here is my tentative car line up:
FF - VW Beetle Cup Car '00 424 PP
FR - Merc 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution '91 361 PP
MR - Lancia Statos '73 408 PP
4WD - Audi Quattro '82 (UrQuattro) 404 PP
Total 1597 PP

*Subject to change depending on final track configuration.

Last edited:
Wolfsatz
Joby,

I believe you run the cars in whichever order you like, part of the strategy :scared: The tires should follow standard S.N.A.I.L. tire policy at the bottom of the first post.

Joby,

I believe you run the cars in whichever order you like, part of the strategy :scared: The tires should follow standard S.N.A.I.L. tire policy at the bottom of the first post.

kcheeb is correct. You run any order you want. Tires should be on the tires we would use for a normal S.N.A.I.L. Sunday event.

This is going to be a weird event with people on different PP cars running at the same time. The key is to not get caught up in a single race. What matters is the overall total from the four races. That being said I hope we see people in fast cars having to work through the field. At times we should have fast drivers in slow cars behind slower drivers in fast cars so hopefully we will have some interesting battles. I do think having a full grid will be important:nervous:

Hmmm... how can you police this?

Since most will be runing in the 400 Range, why not just set all cars run on the same Sport Medium; that way you prevent someone sneaking Race Hards on a 380 PP non race car. Just thinking aloud.

Hmmm... how can you police this?

Since most will be runing in the 400 Range, why not just set all cars run on the same Sport Medium; that way you prevent someone sneaking Race Hards on a 380 PP non race car. Just thinking aloud.

No need for Police I trust my fellow SNAILs:)

Joby,
Here is my tentative car line up:
FF - VW Beetle Cup Car '00 424 PP
FR - Merc 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution '91 361 PP
MR - Lancia Statos '73 408 PP
4WD - Audi Quattro '82 (UrQuattro) 404 PP
Total 1597 PP

*Subject to change depending on final track configuration.
Nice looking line up. I know that 190E will be fast;) Are those PP's for Boken in and oil change:scared: Not a big deal if they are not for tonight as this is just for fun at the moment.

Back