DeadNutsEven - Where anyone can win!!

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 2,278 comments
Hi, i'm interested with your racing league. Always using your racing format as benchmark to increase my driving skills. Good job.

Edited, thanks.

Welcome aboard Sapph. It's a bit of a read I know, but make a thorough run through of the OP and the provided links and send an FR to the DeadNutsEven PSN ID so you can race in the DeadNuts Private Lounge come race day, and maybe an impromptu practice session before the race. It's always helpful to run with a little traffic before the race if you can.

Johnnypenso/NissanFairlady Z 300ZX TT 89'/Premium/374PP/Tuned/CS/NoABS/168KMH

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Sapph. It's a bit of a read I know, but make a thorough run through of the OP and the provided links and send an FR to the DeadNutsEven PSN ID so you can race in the DeadNuts Private Lounge come race day, and maybe an impromptu practice session before the race. It's always helpful to run with a little traffic before the race if you can.

Johnnypenso/NissanFairlady Z 300ZX TT 59'/Premium/374PP/Tuned/CS/NoABS/168KMH

I will send the FR when i'm in front of my PS3, currently at work right now. I will try to join your online lobby for practise, but I have to pass on the racing day since I'm on GST+8 here, so, on Monday 8PM EST is Tuesday morning at 9 here. :ouch:

HONDA Insight LS '09
Tuned for Autumn Ring Reverse on Comfort Soft tires, 1:35

8472845840_c7e33da155_z_d.jpg

Specs

Horsepower: 176 hp at 6400 RPM
Torque: 188 ft-lb at 2400 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1017 kg
Ballast : 0
Ballast Position : 0
Weight Distribution : 60/40
Distance Traveled : 250.x+ miles - broken in bought from NCD
Performance Points: 415
Top Speed : 104 mph or 167 kmh

GT AUTO
Paint : Aqua Green Metallic
Stock wheels.

Tuning Parts Installed :

Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Hood : Body Color
Chassis Reinforcement ( yep, works wonder on this FF car )
ECU Tuning
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Racing Air Filter
Catalytic Converter : Sports
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully Customizable Transmission
Clutch : Twin Plate
Flywheel : Semi Racing
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD

LSD
Initial Torque : 7
Acceleration Sensitivity: 11
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension :
Front, Rear
Ride Height: -15 0
Spring Rate: 10.0 6.7
Dampers Extension: 4 6
Dampers Compression : 2 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 6
Camber Angle: 4.0 3.0
Toe Angle: 0.35 -0.35

Brake Balance :
10/8 or for wheel user : 4/3 - if good at trail braking ( no ABS ), for ABS 1 : 7/5 or your own BB.

Transmission :
Reset to default, then set top speed slider to 118mph/190kmh, then set final to 4.800, adjust gear accordingly like below :

1st : 2.400
2nd : 1.645
3rd : 1.255
4th : 1.000
5th : 0.800
Final : 4.800

Top Speed shown next to the top graph : 137 mph / 220 kmh

Notes :

A good clean drive should get the hybrid into 1st sector at mid/high 22 seconds, last sector at mid/high 1:01s. Shift point is at just over 6000rpm, the car needs proper speed on entry and subtle throttle feathering on the esses. The long right sweeper after the bridge tunnel can be taken flat out reaching close to 90mph before braking for the right hander up hill ( apex speed at 50+ mph ), the immediate left can be taken with 2nd gear at 40+mph.

Brake deep for the right circular curve entering the bridge tunnel, take it from the outside then go inside halfway, maintaining quarter throttle ( close to 50mph ), full gas as early as possible, the car will glide to the outside nicely.

8472853168_c88e2368ef_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
GST seems to be Gulf standard time and UTC+4.. but I suspect he meant GMT+8 because GST +8 would be GMT+12 and that seems a bit much.. if he doesn't live on a small island in the pacific ocean. What do I know?

Edit: Actually GMT + 12 is what New Zealand has so it is possible.

Edit2: Since he said it would be 9 in the morning it definitely was GMT+8 :)

DeadNutsEven Classroom Training Part 1
Rev-Limiter, Overlap and Re-entering the Track

Rev-Limiter
We had an issue last week we had not anticipated and so it's never been mentioned in terms of what to do or not do in qualifying for a DeadNuts Race, which is using the rev limiter to maximize your top speed. In theory it sounds ok, just set your transmission so the car hits the rev limiter partway down the front straight and you can't possibly exceed the speed limit. In practice what it does is give you an advantage, and on the harder compound a big advantage, in acceleration. It leads to bigger differentials in cornering speed and acceleration and since that's what we're trying to balance out, from now on, you must be under the top speed cap naturally at the very end of the straight without the rev limiter kicking in.

Overlap
Second thing we want to cover is GTP Rules. We have a couple of photo montages we'll use from Monday's race. We picked some examples that illustrate our points because I happened to be involved in them on track or saw them happen. I'm not picking on anyone, don't care who it was, there is no need to apologize or explain anything. The stuff we'll talk about happened numerous times involving most drivers in the race so the examples are pretty universal, but we didn't want to put up 10 photo montages!!!!

One of the golden set of rules for us is the [post=3176790] GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines[/post]. We should all be familiar with it. Passing is covered many times both generally and specifically like this:

GTP OLR: 5C: Leaning on other cars is strictly prohibited in any situation.
6A: The behind driver must take all necessary care and responsibility not to run into an ahead driver.
8B: You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.[/I]

So what does this mean in practice? Well I went to the replay's and found incidents that involved me or that I saw happen. Here are a couple of examples:

overlap.png

Photo 1: This is the right hander after the tunnel. Watching the live replay, the Corvette has already done substantial braking and is turning into the corner. The Superbird does not have sufficient overlap at this point and should back out from the pass attempt.

Photo 2: Because there was no overlap, the Corvette driver moves over to take the racing line it's entitled to take without interference and finds the Superbird there. Contact ensues, unsettling and slowing both cars.

Photo 3: This is the left hander entering the tunnel. The Mustang is already turning for the corner and has moved several feet off of the right curbing in doing so. The Cobra driver does not have nearly enough overlap and should cede the position and allow the Mustang driver the corner.

Photo 4: The Mustang driver takes the racing lines as entitled and contact ensues. The Mustang driver in this case is unaffected but the Cobra driver gets sideways, holds up a line of cars behind him and slows enough to lose the draft of the Mustang driver for both himself and everyone behind him. In a race where the drivers ahead of the Cobra make no significant errors, the Cobra driver would have effectively cost everyone behind him a shot at a podium or victory.

overlap2.png

Photo 1: Turn 2. The Chevelle driver is taking a wide entry into corner 2 as he's entitled to. Even from the side you can see his car angled toward the corner. He should be allowed to enter the corner at this point unmolested.

Photo 2: The Camaro driver decides the gap is too enticing even with no overlap, so he dives in, climbs the curb, and gets a bit sideways. In the replay you can see the Chevelle driver having to make a correction to the right to avoid contact.

Photo 3: The Chevelle driver ends up with two wheels on the grass. A few seconds after this, perhaps partly because of this incident, the Chevelle driver ends up crashing entering the tunnel effectively ruining his race.

Re-Entering the Track
GTP OLR: 15: Re-entering to the track after running off:

A:It is the responsibility of the car returning to the track to ensure there are no collisions so that no other drivers have to maneuver or brake suddenly to allow you to resume racing. If there's a chance of a collision, wait and be patient as other drivers have the right of way.

offtrack.png

On the top left you see the Corvette off track and not due to contact. In the replay you can clearly see the car is moving very slowly and in control. Instead of waiting for the group to pass the Corvette decides to re-enter the track with dirty tires. As a result he makes contact with the two Mustangs and the Chevelle and slows them enough that the (Orange? ..colour blind :scared: ) Camaro at the back actually passes all of them in the following 2 corners.

Last edited:
overlap2.png

Mmmm, what happened back there on picture 3, 2 cars also went off road :) looks like a fun race with so many thrills and spills :sly:

Someone got a little too excited on corner entry..which will be covered in another post:idea:

Important stuff up there and I agree with all of them (even if I was the offender in some cases). Will definitely do my absolute best to improve in future races.

By the way, it looks like me crashing in the back there Orido.. so i suspect it was me forgetting to brake in to turn two as usual. Did that too many times that evening.

Oh a second by the way. I also screwed up the third corned in to the tunnel a couple of times and seriously screwed up other peoples races.. but there you can't really keep off the racing line right? Because you crash in to the wall and get kind of stuck there and then others just pile up in your behind.

Important stuff up there and I agree with all of them (even if I was the offender in some cases). Will definitely do my absolute best to improve in future races.

By the way, it looks like me crashing in the back there Orido.. so i suspect it was me forgetting to brake in to turn two as usual. Did that too many times that evening.

Oh a second by the way. I also screwed up the third corned in to the tunnel a couple of times and seriously screwed up other peoples races.. but there you can't really keep off the racing line right? Because you crash in to the wall and get kind of stuck there and then others just pile up in your behind.

Actually you got rear ended in that one Niko...more on "following too closely" later:sly:

Not sure what you mean about "screwed up in the third corner". If you mean mistakes you make on your own they are just that, mistakes. We all make errors in judgement and sometimes it affects other people. Although we'd rather people didn't make those kinds of mistakes as well, the ones we are more concerned about are those where there are clear rules for racing and they aren't respected.

I watched the replay for the races at Autumn Ring, the one with me in the 2014 Stingray, the last half of the last lap was great, the last turn was epic.

Great line taken by NC in the black Elise '96 coming from the inside then side by side exiting the last left corner. It was sort of drag race to the finish line, the gap was 0.054. That passing effort would be great example of DNE race should be.

Actually you got rear ended in that one Niko...more on "following too closely" later:sly:

Not sure what you mean about "screwed up in the third corner". If you mean mistakes you make on your own they are just that, mistakes. We all make errors in judgement and sometimes it affects other people. Although we'd rather people didn't make those kinds of mistakes as well, the ones we are more concerned about are those where there are clear rules for racing and they aren't respected.
Ah good :) Less embarrassing that way.

Yeah mistakes, braking too late and crashing by yourself. I guess what i wanted to know was if we were supposed to be good enough to not make mistakes as well. Realised now that it was a weird question, can't do much about those kinds of mistakes, those caused by stress in race situations are hard to practise ahead of the race. ^^

Anyway thanks for clearing things up, i'll stop trying to explain things with my bad English now. :P

Over the next few days I'm going to review one by one, several things I think are important to our racing philosophy and in turn, your enjoyment here. We are growing, the fields are getting bigger and bigger and so it's more important than ever that we take nothing for granted and we are all on the same page in terms of expectations on and off the track.

Make no mistake, we are already ahead of most racing groups in terms of the limited amount of contact and given the diverse level of driving skill we have, it's amazing we are as clean as we are. There is always room for improvement and our goal is always, 100% squeaky clean racing, with lots of passing, strategy and side by side racing!!!

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to create that post, and also for taking the time and making the effort for everything else with the DNE.:bowdown:

Because of your dedication we all have a place to go within GT5 where we can have fun, learn to be better racers and have the opportunity to compete against other GT5 enthousiast, we normaly could not run competitively with.:cheers:

I hope every one will make their effort to make DNE the best it can be and that we will be able to have fun together for a long time.
Long live the DNE.:gtpflag:

Is there anyone interested to drive Mazda Miata TC ? I have tuned one for Autumn Ring Reverse, good for 1:35.xxx consistently, top speed at just over 100 mph / 161 kmh, on comfort soft tires. The car has 350PP ( min aero ), 150HP ( a generous helping of limiter ) and 995 kg. ( loads of ballast )

8474525781_35a395bbd0_b_d.jpg

Saturday February 9, 9:30am EST, 14:30 UTC​

Race 5
  1. Tim
  2. Sag
  3. Iain
  4. NCemt
  5. Ferrari
  6. Cote
  7. Grav
FYI, this is incorrect.

Correct results are:
me
iain
NCemtB
tim
Ferrari
Cote
Gravitron

This is the race where I beat Iain by 0.025, NC two tenths further back. :)

Another tune made, Weds Sport Lexus IS350 '08 GT300 Premium, 399PP, 100mph/161 kmh top speed, 1:35.1x consistent on comfort soft :cool: :) any takers :lol: simple tune, final to 4.111, gobs of power limiter 180HP, max ballast - 1350 kg, min aero. Very forgiving, and great stability, perfect for those who are not familiar with the track.

Last edited:
You really like this series right Orido? Because you create so many tunes even though you can never join the actual races. Some real dedication there. :)

I did 4 races a couple of days ago, with JP,Cote and NC, was great, 5 laps each, I used 4 different cars :) To me, a few short races during the week is more than enough ;)

FYI, this is incorrect.

Correct results are:
me
iain
NCemtB
tim
Ferrari
Cote
Gravitron

This is the race where I beat Iain by 0.025, NC two tenths further back. :)

Not according to the replay I have, are you saying this from memory or do you have a replay that shows a different result?
anyone else who as a replay with a different result than mine? If you do please PM your result to JP, we will be happy to correct the "mistake" if my replay is somehow faulty.

Not according to the replay I have, are you saying this from memory or do you have a replay that shows a different result?
anyone else who as a replay with a different result than mine? If you do please PM your result to JP, we will be happy to correct the "mistake" if my replay is somehow faulty.

Sag is correct... The game fudged the finishing order that it displayed on the results screen due to a bug or something. If you actually watch the replay, the order in which the cars cross the line is the order he gave you. :crazy:

FYI, this is incorrect.
...snip...

Correction made, thanks for pointing that out. Good ole' GT5!! Can't even get race results right:sly: I know there's also a bug at Monza where if you finish a couple of feet of the winner, it will give you the win!!

It's back a page now and I don't want anyone to miss it so make sure you take a look at this [post=8122531]Very Important Post [/post]

Just curious... Are we going to start making the Saturday event a regular thing or was last week just a special event? Given the large turnout, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen more often.

Just a heads up I'm having an issue with my controller not taking a charge, and this might be a problem on Monday.

EDIT: Got it charged going to the lobby to run some laps.

Last edited:
Just curious... Are we going to start making the Saturday event a regular thing or was last week just a special event? Given the large turnout, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen more often.

Yes the turnout was quite good, I'm sorry I missed it:grumpy:. We have been working behind the scenes on this. Ferrari has decided to step forward to host an event on the 23rd and will post a bit later to ask for input as to the preferred times, within whatever his available timeframe is. This is another one-off event like the last one and we'll continue to do these so long as someone can commit to hosting them. If anyone who has been around a while wants to step forward and offer up their services as a weekend host, just PM me about it. It doesn't have to mean every week, it could be every other week, once a month or just once in a while or even a one time thing. All we ask is that if you commit to it, you make every effort to show up and host. We understand stuff happens and we'll set up an alternate host or two just in case.

I would assume we'll be running the Autumn Ring Reverse race on the 23rd but if you want, we can come up with a new target for a week Monday and you can put your heads together and decide between the two.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

I will be hosting an event one week from tomorrow early to mid afternoon on Saturday, the 23rd. The times I can host are as follows:

2-23-2013:
  1. 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM EST
  2. 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM EST
  3. 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM EST
  4. 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM EST
  5. 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EST
  6. 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EST

There are overlaps in times because I've got a flexible schedule on the weekends. I can host the same times on Sunday, the 24th as well. All I ask is that whoever is interested in running that day posts their times of availability, and from there I'll decide on a solid time. The final time will be decided on Monday, the 18th after the normal race. As this is not the Monday series. There will be a ≈15 minute practice/warm up session, and then we will run the races in the usual format. We will be running the same cars from Autumn Ring on the 18th.

Last edited:
Saturday, February 23, 2013

I will be hosting an event one week from tomorrow early to mid afternoon on Saturday, the 23rd. The times I can host are as follows:

2-23-2013:
  1. 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM EST
  2. 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM EST
  3. 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM EST
  4. 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM EST
  5. 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EST
  6. 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EST

There are overlaps in times because I've got a flexible schedule on the weekends. I can host the same times on Sunday, the 24th as well. All I ask is that whoever is interested in running that day posts their times of availability, and from there I'll decide on a solid time. The final time will be decided on Monday, the 18th after the normal race. As this is not the Monday series, I am open to any suggestions you guys may have regarding next Saturday. There will be a ≈15 minute practice/warm up session, and then we will run the races in the usual format. We will be running the same cars from Autumn Ring on the 18th.

I'm available on both Saturday and Sunday, on all those times listed :) great news Ferrari, will look forward to race. Will there be special rule ? like allowing drivers to change cars as long as the cars fit the lap time + top speed limit ? I have tuned at least 6 different cars, 4 of them were used for races with JP,Cote and NC a few days ago ( 2014 Stingray, Golf GTI '05, Challenger '70, Insight LS ) :) I've got several cars more tuned : M3, 350Z, Infiniti Concept, Weds Sport IS350, Miata TC - the list keeps growing :lol:, I am also fine with using only my 2014 Stingray entry.

In da lounge now, tuning BMW Concept 1 Series TII '07- 408PP, CS, bone stock ( great handling ), limiter galore - 220+HP. Low 1:35s and easy to drive.

Last edited:
Back