Laguna Seca 200 Miles Companion & Competition

• Thread starter axletramp
  • 192 comments
My continuing quest with the Honda NSX:
I have given my Honda NSX another chance for glory.:D So after a few hours time trialing in the FGT, I go back into my garage and pick my previously used Platinum White Pearl NSX and have GT Auto perform the chassis maintenance since the NSX is beginning to feel a little squirrely. After some more minor wrenching my Honda NSX Type S Zero '97 has the following spec's:

Horsepower: 214
Weight: 1443kg (added 173kg of ballast)
PPvalue: 407
P.Limiter: 85.0%
Tires: SH (used throughout the race)
Acquired: 7/28/2011
Wins: 6
Mileage: 54,078.6
Mileage after race: 54,279.0
No skid

The above spec's have a PP value that has been reduced from 408 to 407 to give the AI a bit more of a chance (see my previous run at post # 177 above).

I will try my luck against the Alternative lineup # 4 again:
------------------------------------------
1) Chevy Camaro SS '69
2) Chevy Camaro SS '00
3) Ford Mustang GT '05
4) Corvette Grand Sport C4
5) Mustang SVT Cobra R
6) Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi
7) GTsail in the NSX Type S Zero
8) Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
9) Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
10) Corvette Coupe C2 '63
11) Tempest Le Mans GTO '64
12) Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe

The flag drops and we're off for another Laguna Seca run!

During lap # 1, I drive thru the field and end the lap in 5th place, some 6 seconds behind the race leader after an opening lap that took 1.54.505.

Near the end of lap # 2, I drive past the 4th place Mustang SVT Cobra going thru turn # 11.

On lap # 3, the Corvette Grand Sport C4 gets past the 2000 Camaro SS and takes over 2nd place in the race. This has me worried:nervous:, and I consider pulling the plug to re-start the race, but decide to carry-on with the hope that the Grand Sport Corvette isn't able to pass the race leading '69 Camaro SS anytime soon.

At the end of lap # 6, I drive past the 3rd place 2000 Camaro SS going thru turn # 11, and end the lap 9.2 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS after a lap record 1.45.058.

After 10 laps, I get the news that I've fallen 13.4 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS after a decent 1.45.179 lap. The 2nd place Corvette Grand Sport has caught up with the '69 Camaro, so there's quite a gap from the two race-leaders back to my 3rd place NSX.:yuck: The 4th place 2000 Camaro SS is about 2 seconds behind me, with the 5th place Mustang SVT Cobra right on his tail.

On lap # 14, I set a new lap record of 1.44.944, and end the lap 16.9 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS.

After 20 laps, I see that I have fallen 24 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS, who is still being closely hounded by the Corvette Grand Sport.

After 25 laps, I see that I have fallen 25 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS after a near lap record of 1.44.998.

On lap # 27, I see that the two front-runners have caught the first of the back-markers.

When I cross the S/F line to begin lap # 28, I see that I am only 23 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS who has lost 2 seconds of his lead due to the back-markers.:) By the end of lap # 28, both front-runners have gotten past the back-marker and I can see that they have opened up a gap on him. I'm still 23 seconds behind them. Looking back down the track, I see that the 2000 Camaro SS still holds down 4th place in the race, with the Mustang SVT Cobra and the '97 Camaro Z28 Coupe still right behind him. The Mercury Cougar XR-7 is in 6th place, and is only another second or so behind them. They are all about 6-7 seconds behind me, so I don't need to check my mirrors when I enter the turns.:)

I'm 24 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS when I dive into the pits at the end of lap # 30, for a new set of SH tires and 15 liters of fuel.

While I'm in the pits, I get passed by the 2000 Camaro SS, the Mustang SVT Cobra, the '97 Camaro Z28 Coupe and the Mercury Cougar XR-7, so as I begin lap # 31, I see that I'm in 7th place, right where I started the race some 30 laps ago.:ill: At the second checkpoint on lap # 31, I see that I have fallen 51 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS. We both have to make another pit-stop, so can I make up 51 seconds on the track with my fresh tires?:nervous:

At the end of lap # 35, I catch and pass the 6th place Mercury Cougar XR-7, and end the lap 44 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS.

On lap # 36, I catch and pass both the 5th place '97 Camaro Z28 and the 4th place Mustang SVT Cobra, and end the lap 42 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS.

On lap # 37, I catch and pass the 3rd place 2000 Camaro SS and end the lap only 38 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS after a new lap record of 1.44.852.

After 40 laps, I see that I'm only 31 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS, who is getting held up by another group of back-markers.:)

On lap # 39, I catch and pass the 12th place Corvette Coupe C2 '63.

On lap # 45, I catch and lap the 9th place Ford Mustang GT '05. AT the end of the lap, I see that I'm only 20 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS, who has really started to fade on his worn tires.

On lap # 47, I set a new lap record of 1.44.683 and end the lap only 13 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS.

At the end of lap # 50, I'm only about 3 seconds behind the race leading '69 Camaro SS when he exits stage left and enters the pits. This allows the Corvette Grand Sport to take over the race lead. At the end of the lap, I'm only 1.6 seconds behind the Corvette Grand Sport having gone thru turn # 11 much more effectively than the Grand Sport.

On lap # 51, I catch and pass the 1st place Corvette Grand Sport going thru turn # 9 and end the lap with a 0.975 second lead.:)

The 2nd place Corvette Grand Sport C4 pits at the end of lap # 53. This allows the '69 Camaro SS to re-claim 2nd place in the race. At the second checkpoint on lap # 54, I see that I've stretched out to a 55 second lead over the 2nd place '69 Camaro SS.:)

At the end of lap # 60, I dive into the pits for a 2nd set of SH tires with a 49.4 second lead over the 2nd place '69 Camaro SS.

At the second checkpoint on lap # 61, I see that my lead has shrunk to only 20 seconds over the '69 Camaro SS.:nervous:

After 63 laps, my lead over the '69 Camaro SS is down to 18 seconds.:scared:

After 65 laps, my lead over the '69 Camaro SS is down to 15 seconds.:nervous::scared:

Lap # 64 took 1.45.553
Lap # 65 took 1.45.557

So I almost entered the twilight zone!:drool:;)

After 70 laps, I see that my lead over the '69 Camaro SS has stabilized at 15 seconds.

Near the end of lap # 73, I catch and pass the 7th place 2000 Camaro SS going thru turn # 10.

On lap # 75, I run a fast 1.44.769 lap and end the lap with a 17 second lead over the '69 Camaro SS.

After 80 laps, I see that my lead has grown to 22 seconds, since the 2nd place Camaro SS is being held up by some back-markers.

At the beginning of lap # 82, I pass and lap the 6th place Mustang SVT Cobra.

After 85 laps, I see that my lead has grown to 28 seconds over the 2nd place '69 Camaro SS, who obviously is no longer trying to catch me.:)

On lap # 86, I catch and pass the 8th place Dodge Charger SuperBee and put him 2 laps down.

After 90 laps I win another trophy!

Race time was: 2hours, 39 minutes, 46.811 seconds

Finishing order:
---------------
1) GTsail in the NSX Type S Zero
2) Camaro SS '69 ------- 30.525 secs back (BL 1.44.024)
3) Corvette Grand Spt --- 32.146 secs back (BL 1.43.581)
4) Cougar XR-7 ---------- 1min 24.994 down (BL 1.44.200)
5) Camaro Z28 Coupe ---- 1min 26.228 down (BL 1.44.054)
6) Mustang SVT ---------- 1 lap down (BL 1.44.475)
7) Camaro SS '00 -------- 1 lap down (BL 1.44.860)
8) Charger Super Bee ---- 2 laps down (BL 1.45.465)
9) Tempest LeMans ------ 2 laps down (BL 1.46.125)
10) Mustang GT '05 ------ 2 laps down (BL 1.46.756)
11) Pontiac GTO 5.7 ----- 2 laps down (BL 1.45.667)
12) Corvette C2 '63 ------ 3 laps down (BL 1.47.673)

Post race notes:
------------------
Quite a nice race! I'm glad that I did the chassis maintenance before the race, because my NSX handled quite well until just before the pit-stops. Miles driven during the race were 200.4. After the race my game also gave me a 1000 Ticket, so I was well rewarded for the 2 hours and 39 minutes behind the wheel!

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Just finished the race for the first time with a "regular" car. Bought a brand new BMW 135i Coupé '07 and changed oil (459pp, CS tires). I raced against lineup #2, ...and no aids.

I crossed the line with the Viper 45s behind.

My finishing time was 2h37m02s, best lap 1'42.351, Viper '99 best lap 1'41.731.

Nice run yanaran!

You are our first entrant on CS tires!

I recently tried a CS run with the Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88, but had to abort after dizziness set in from excessive 360's!:boggled:

Respectfully,
GTsail

I've had a long time to contemplate yanaran's highly commendable stock run on CS tires, and recently decided to take the bull by the horns and do something about it. There is a problem running stock, normal cars at Laguna with CS tires and no aids, and that is spinning out, understeering off, or horribly spinning the tires off the corners. After much messing around, I settled on a Premium '05 Impreza sedan as having very acceptable balance and traction, then put some B-spec miles on it to get the PP down. Results are shown below. I made a sincere and conscientious effort (not quite 100% succesfull, but close) to not violate the pink apex markers with my outside tires, and to chart a fair and realistic course through the Corkscrew, where there are none of the pink markers.

I challenge GTsail, axletramp and my other pals to take up this delightful challenge and make some stock CS runs to join me in the fun!

Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA '05
Stock with no oil change; mileage 3,573.3 before race, 3,773.7 after
PP: 455/452
Hp: 271/266
Weight: 1390kg
Tires: Comfort Soft
Aids: None, except ABS 1

Total time: 2:28:46.037
MoV: 1:34.593
BL: 1:43.915 (lap 18)

Laguna Lineup # 4 after British Lightweights in Professional Series:
------------------------------------------
1) Chevy Camaro SS '69
2) Chevy Camaro SS '00
3) Ford Mustang GT '05
4) Corvette Grand Sport C4
5) Mustang SVT Cobra R
6) Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi
7) Dotini Impreza '05
8) Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
9) Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
10) Corvette Coupe C2 '63
11) Tempest Le Mans GTO '64
12) Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe

Abbreviated race description:
Laps 1-9: Acquired 4th place on the first lap, and 1st by lap 9. No cuts and only very minor contact.
Laps 10-45: Slowly pulled away. Pitted lap 45 with 65% remaining on right front. The computer gave me 43 liters of fuel, which was only about 5 too many.
Laps 46 to 90: Resumed from pit in first place by about 3 seconds. After the Camaro '69 pitted, I was slightly over a minute up. Maintained and slightly improved this until the end. I never spun, wrecked or had significant contact.

Finishing order:
1) Dotini Impreza '05-----(BL 1:43.915, lap 18, one of only two under 1:44)
2) Camaro SS '69 ------- (BL 1:44.195)
3) Corvette Grand Spt ---(BL 1:43.608)
4) Camaro Z28 Coupe ----(BL 1:44.274)
4) Cougar XR-7 ---------- (BL 1:44.142)
6) Mustang SVT ---------- (BL 1:44.439)
7) Camaro SS '00
8) Charger Super Bee
9) Tempest LeMans
10) Mustang GT '05
11) Pontiac GTO 5.7
12) Corvette C2 '63

With the 1.5 minute MoV, there is clearly room for improvement, and a lower PP score. Who will do it, and with what else?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
This is my latest take at this race, as the previous one is about two years back...

Audi S3 '02 - Absolute Red
198hp (down to 194hp at the end of race)
188ft-lb
31,122.7km (31,444.2 at the end of race)
1420kg
397PP (down to 395PP at the end of race) *Yes, I'm eyeing that 1st place on the 4WD leaderboard ;)

Completely stock
Black oil
TC set at 3
ABS set at 1
Everything else OFF

DualShock3

Alternate Lineup #4 (after British Lightweights, Professional Series)

Camaro SS '69
Camaro SS '00
Mustang GT '05
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71
-Audi S3 '02-
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Cougar XR-7
Corvette Coupe '63
Tempest LeMans GTO '64
GTO 5.7 Coupe '04

The lights go off, and the race is on ! The Audi is lacking the horsepower to keep up with most of the competitors, so I'm quickly down to 9th place entering the first corner, but back to 6th when entering the Corkscrew. I would begin to claw back at the leaders for most of my first stint. 5th by the second lap, and then 4th by lap 4, I would go up to 3rd during lap 8, and stay in that place for the rest of the stint, before pitting on lap 30. By that time, my fastest lap is a 1'43.996, on lap 17, almost exactly on par with the leader's best lap of 1'43.997. I exit the pits in 6th place, with new tyres and 20 units of fuel, meaning I won't have to refuel on my next stop, as I begin to munch away at the gap between myself and the leading '69 Camaro SS, which is now about 40 seconds in front. I finally catch him as we exit turn 5 on lap 43, and from there on, I won't be in danger of losing the race. By the time I pit on lap 60, I have built a gap of about 1'20, and a new best lap of 1'43.548 on lap 37, when I was chasing the leaders. As I exit the pits with new tyres and no extra fuel, my gap with the second-placed '69 Camaro is just around 1'00, and the rest of the race is petty much a scenic drive, as I'll be able to extend that gap to just about lapping the entire field, as I would wind up finishing the 90 laps just behind the 3rd-placed Corvette Grand Sport, about 4 seconds from lapping the Camaro.

Podium :

Audi S3 '02 - 2:36'45.233
Chevrolet Camaro SS '69 (+1'41.158)
Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT '96 (+1'42.827)

Best lap : 1'43.066 on lap 69 (Best lap in practice was a 1'43.871)

I thought I would have a little more of a race, considering the S3's weight of 1420kg and the fact that it is a 4WD, which I thought would give me a harder time on the SS tyres, but the car as actually pretty easy on them, as they were down to about 50% front and 60% rear after 30 laps, probably due to the 52-48 weight distribution. It was a nice car to drive, a little bit too much for this particular lineup, but still a fun car to drive, easy to handle and with decent power to be able to push it around the track in respectable times. So there goes the second race in my VW Group-only endurance races, after my Seat Ibiza run on GV300. Next up, finding a suitable car for the Indy 500...

Hmm... I recently won this race using a Suzuki Alto Works against both the 2010 Camaro and the C5 Corvette, but I was using Racing Hard tyres. I may have another go at this if I get the time in a rabbit free race on sports tyres in the same car.

It's actually pretty nifty around Laguna, you can take most of the corners there flat out as it's so light and the four wheel drive gives it so much grip.

I got bored with GT6, and haven't been there for quite some time, what with the lack of decent Endurance Races.
I always knew I could improve on the Hommel so here goes:

Hommel Berlinette R/S Coupe '99

Sports Soft tyres, MR.

Weight 1150 kg (Ballast 200)
PP 359

No aids axcept ABS of "1"

1 stop
Sony controller

Alternate LS Lineup #4 (After British Lightweights, Professional Series)

Camaro SS '69
Camaro SS '00
Mustang GT '05
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Cougar XR-7
Corvette Coupe '63
Tempest LeMans GTO '64
GTO 5.7 Coupe '04

Short story: I was on 2nd spot for much of the race, behind the Camaro SS '69. 25 seconds or so at the most, the Corvette Grand Sport always right behind me. Around lap 30 tyre wear began to slow the Camaro down, and I overtook him a few laps before I pitted on lap 47 for tyres only. I had just caught up with him again, when he finally pitted for a loooooong stop, and the rest of the race was cruising home with the two of them slowly edging closer.
Around lap 75 I fell asleep and spun off, badly, and I won the race by only 4-5 seconds, assisted by the Camaro's increasing tyre wear.

A race won entirely by low fuel consumption and tyre wear. It's good to be back home.

Best lap: lap 14 at 1:44.192

Wow, this is still alive! Cheers @von Stiefel I'll update the tables soon.

Yep, the endurance races were the only thing that kept me coming back to GT5. GT6 is better - apart from the lack of endurances - and I have found some fun in experimenting with the 15 minute races.

Wow, this is still alive! Cheers @von Stiefel I'll update the tables soon.

Yep, the endurance races were the only thing that kept me coming back to GT5. GT6 is better - apart from the lack of endurances - and I have found some fun in experimenting with the 15 minute races.

Let there be little doubt that that GT6 is better, not hugely better but better .....however I have not the skills, nor the mental endurance allowing me to restart a race for the XXXXth time in hope of some miserably impossible Gold or Silver. It is too difficult, and therefore little fun.
No, having fun experimenting with the Endurance Races in GT5, that's my thing. I have only finished a fraction af races started, but I care not one bit.

Hommel Berlinette R/S Coupe '99

Sports Medium tyres, MR.

155 BHP
Weight 1150 kg (Ballast 200)
PP 380

1 stop
Sony controller

Camaro SS '69
Camaro SS '00
Mustang GT '05
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Cougar XR-7
Corvette Coupe '63
Tempest LeMans GTO '64
GTO 5.7 Coupe '04

I have last evening suspended the race so as to rest my hands a bit.
Barging into 1st spot on lap one has become an art, and if I don't the Camaro '69 and the Corvette Grand Sport will build up a huge lead before their tyre wear kicks in. It is very important to block them right at the beginning of the Start/Finish straight or the advantage of their much superior top speed will be decisive.
Lap 24 I spied the first hints that tyre wear was beginning to affect the Camaro '69 as he at no point managed to close up right behind me, especially at the left turn - the Mazda checkpoint -before ascending towards the Corkscrew.
Then lap 25 I botched the Corkscrew and dropped back to 3rd. It wasn't too bad and I recovered quickly, still I didn't manage to regain 1st spot until lap 28.
Lap 31, again the Corkscrew and back to 3rd. But opposition tyre wear enabled me to overtake them within a lap.
From then on my lap times increased steadily along with my tyre wear, but the opposition were worse off and the gap opened. Fastest lap was in the very low 1:44's.
I have pitted on lap 47, a bit more than half a tank left, and well knowing that I shall rejoin the race right behind the Camaro '69 and that he'll not pit for several laps I'll have a huge advantage for the rest of the race. If I can stay focused.

Next day: Pit crew attempted to put on Comfort Soft instead of Sports Medium tyres ....this slowed down the stop while I gave it a quick think: I did put on Sports Medium, didn't I? Sports Medium came on and I rejoined the race on 3rd sport.
A few laps later I caught up with the Camaro '69 just as he dived into the pit lane, and when everyone had pitted I was in front by 55 seconds. Not much changed after this: I pushed hard so as not to lose focus, and discovering a few more tricks and daring to approach the barriers even closer in the shortcuts, I got lap times below 1:44.
In the end I won by 1 minute and 15 seconds or thereabouts.

Total time 2:39.22.414
best lap: lap 72 of 1:43.014 ......I knew this was going to be a good one when I took the Mothers corner at full throttle and 100+ km/h, and the Mazda checkpoint was very good indeed. Then cutting the left corner very close up against the barrier, up towards the Corkscrew, and braking hard a fraction later than I usually dared I suceeded in carrying a fine speed downhill and slide through the right corner very close and at full throttle.

Great fun! I must attempt Comfort Soft or Sports Hard next.

Last edited:
Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '98

Stock, I suppose.
Sport Medium tyres.
FF

178 BHP
Weight 1080 kg (Ballast 0, it being Stock)
PP 392

1 stop
Sony controller

Camaro SS '69
Camaro SS '00
Mustang GT '05
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Cougar XR-7
Corvette Coupe '63
Tempest LeMans GTO '64
GTO 5.7 Coupe '04

I pulled everything off, and it was back to the car as delivered: Standard Transmission and Suspension etc etc. All and every upgrade came off, including drivetrain.

The car ended up being a bit sluggish in acceleration, the standard automatic gear with an emphasis on top speed. Especially ascending towards the Corkscrew RPM were just above 6000 and I really felt that only a little more would do wonders ...but it's a stock car, not to be fiddled with. Suspension was OK, I have no complaints.

I was in front within a few laps. A good thing about this lineup is that the main opposition - such as it is - do not have that much of a free run right from the start, and that the Camaro SS '69 does experience tyre wear from around lap 30.

I managed to stay in front, by a few seconds and avoiding excessive blocking. It wasn't too difficult. From lap 30 and until I pitted as the first car on lap 47 I extended my lead a bit, and rejoining the race I was on 2nd spot, trailing by only a few seconds. I was quickly back on 1st, and once they pitted I could coast home. I won by 48 seconds. Not much to tell, it wasn't too much of a challenge, and it shall be Sport Hard tyres next.

Total 2:39.00.901
Best lap 65 of 1:43.023 .....I was coasting too much, and upped the speed a bit in order not to fall asleep. But everything came together: twice I got that extra pull from cars right in front of me, at the right places, and I stormed through the Corkscrew just so.

2. Corvette Gran Sport
3. Camaro SS '69
4. Camaro Z28

Last edited:
Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '98

Stock, I suppose.
Sport Hard tyres.
FF

178 BHP
Weight 1080 kg (Ballast 0, it being Stock)
PP 392

No aids axcept ABS of "8"

1 stop
Sony controller

Camaro SS '69
Camaro SS '00
Mustang GT '05
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Cougar XR-7
Corvette Coupe '63
Tempest LeMans GTO '64
GTO 5.7 Coupe '04

I pulled everything off, and it was back to the car as delivered: Standard Transmission and Suspension etc etc. All and every upgrade came off, including drivetrain.
I had hoped for a zero stop strategy, but the car really became too difficult to control. An ABS of "1" wasrn't sufficient, Skid Recovery "ON" too much.

The start as usual was ...robust, let's say. Down towards the 180, keeping to the left and the inside lane free - I suppose I COULD have swerved right once or twice to get a push or two but that's illegal! - then cutting the corner in a very hard and tight turn, thereby getting into 6th spot. Up towards the right turn, overtaking on the inside, then towards another right turn and storming trough it at full throttle and hugging the barrier as close as I dare, one more spot gained. The "Mothers" left corner - be careful to brake just so and accelerate through it - then a shortish stretch looking nervously in the mirror ....danger averted, cutting the left corner, hugging the barrier VERY close, up-up-up towards the Corkscrew, revs not quite optimal and acceleration a little sluggish, braking hard and short at the right place - and nowhere else or the lap is doomed - storm through the Corkscrew, the pedal to the metal. Then down-down--left-down and sliding riiiiiiiight just missing the barrier at full throttle - now on 1st spot! - full speed ahead and soon thereafter turning left and down the Start/Finish straight.

Next 27-29 laps are all about staying in front. The Camaro SS '69 early on is persuaded to drop back a couple of places, and ends up behind a car too fast to overtake but not fast enough to keep up with me. Suits me just fine! Then the Corvette Gran Sport gradually disappears from my mirror and first slowly, then more quickly I open up a gap. He pits 36 seconds down, rejoins 1 minute 35 seconds down. My tyres by lap 62 are so-so but the Corvette has closed the gap to 1 min 15 sec: I pit.

I win by 35 seconds.
Total time: 2:39.16
Best lap 69 of 1:43.559 (The Corvette was becoming uppity, and I put in a couple of the fastest laps to widen the gap a bit)

2. Corvette Gran Sport
3. Camaro SS '69
4. Cougar XR-7

Last edited:
Daihatsu Sirion X4 (J) '00

Sport Hard tyres.
4WD

169 BHP (166 at the end)
Weight 1040 kg
PP 384 (382 at the end)

No aids axcept ABS of "8"

No stop
Sony controller

Camaro SS '69
Camaro SS '00
Mustang GT '05
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Cougar XR-7
Corvette Coupe '63
Tempest LeMans GTO '64
GTO 5.7 Coupe '04

I had to restart ...erm ...several times before I managed to squeeze into the lead near the end of lap 2, turning inside of the Xamaro SS '69 just as we entered the Start/Finish straight. It had been two hard laps, overtaking them one by in the turns, hugging barriers, seeking the smallest advantage. The opposition were much faster and had a tremendous acceleration campared to the Sirion, and I only had a chance by using shortcuts and persuading the other cars that their line was my line. And by making full use of the Corkscrew.

Laps 3-30 were desperate, a string of cars snapping at my heels. But I finally had noticed a small gap opening behing me, ever so slightly, little by little ....and I botched the Corkscrew.

Down to 6th spot, 11 seconds lost. Drat. But they WERE affected by tyrewear, everything was not lost, I overtook one, next lap another. By lap 40 I was back in the lead, and the opposition clearly slowed by their tyres. Another thing had become clearer: my front right tyre and my fuel consumption both looked good. No pit stop for me! I hoped.

Once they had pitted I was in the lead by ...oh, 1 minute 5 seconds or so. They had new tyres, my tyres were so-so but no longer new. The race was on.

Lap 75 the Camaro SS '69 caught up with me. BUT .....his tyres had 30+ laps in them now and it showed. He no longer had the cornering ability that had enabled him to catch up. My tyres were looking uglier and uglier, and my lap times suffered, badly. Another car caught up with us, another, one more. Several times I was down to 2nd, or even 3rd spot on the straights, but I regained the lead through the next corner. Until finally during the last few laps the danger became less and less. I won by 2.608 seconds.

2. Camaro SS '69
3. Cougar XR-7
4. Camaro Z28

Fastest lap was lap 2 when I chased the leading Camaro SS and taking all possible chances I wouldn't dare later, of 1: 45.049.

Total time 2:4 ....sorry, I can't decode this and I forgot to save the race. (I think it says 2:41.43.766)

Last edited:
Daihatsu Sirion X4 (J) '00

Sport Hard tyres.
4WD

163 BHP
Weight 1040 kg
PP 380

No aids axcept ABS of "10"

No stop
Sony controller

Camaro SS '69
Camaro SS '00
Mustang GT '05
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Cougar XR-7
Corvette Coupe '63
Tempest LeMans GTO '64
GTO 5.7 Coupe '04

The other cars very much faster, this was a very difficult one, and it took many restarts until I got an early lead by for once entering the Start/Finish line outside the SS '69 in a perfect wide turn and simultaneously hitting the throttle at the perfect moment. I had washed the car and can honestly say it was a clean race - nearly and almost - and I pushed and I pushed with lap 16 the fastest lap of the race at 1:44.479, still it was a relief when I spotted the first faint signs around lap 25 that the SS '69 was slowing down ever so slightly and I could concentrate less on the mirror.

I lapped the 1st car on lap 32, and by lap 35 the SS '69 was trailing by 15 seconds. I kept pushing.

Lap 40, 23 seconds in the lead.
Lap 45, 32 seconds.
Lap 50, 44 seconds.

Lap 55 and they had now all of them pitted: 1 minute 37 seconds.

Lap 60, 1:30. It was quite a suprise to me I hadn't lost more.
Lap 65, 1:15 and my tyres were a bit worn. Lap 67 was the last lap in the 1:45's.
Lap 70, 58 seconds
Lap 75, 44 seconds.
Lap 80, 27 seconds. While the opposition tyre wear was beginning to show again, I had spun out lap 77 and lost around 11 seconds.
Lap 85, 22 seconds. Much assisted by oppo tyre wear.

I the end I won by 2.940 seconds, having spun out very badly on lap 86 descending from the Corkscrew and loosing a lot of ground. My tyres miserable by then and I had to drive a very careful line, but managing - more or less - to equal the oppo lap times. My lap times up in the 1:148's by the end.

Total time 2:40.40.489.

2nd Camaro SS '69
3rd Z28
4th Gran Sport

Last edited:
Back