◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,793 comments
albteman015
This is from where I live in New York to somewhere in the middle east.

:lol:
That's better than pretty good as well. Might be more meaningful to test to los Angeles or western coast of Canada, since most, if not all, snails live on the north American continent. I'm sure you'd still get good rates that direction as well. Wish my roadrunner was all that.

Dabney, you must work at a web hosting firm or data center. Only places I can think of where'd you'd want triple upload more than down.

Dabney, you must work at a web hosting firm or data center. Only places I can think of where'd you'd want triple upload more than down.

It should be synchronous but when everyone is working, the download suffers.

Doesn't matter if its flash or java or some other plugin, the ps3 browser is crap in any case and I wouldn't trust it to do anything well or accurately.

Yeah for sure, but seeing as Speedtest.net is a web based app, I used the browser on the PS3. I wanted to compare to my PC results to get a better idea of what kind of speeds I was seeing directly through the PS3, but no.

:lol:
That's better than pretty good as well. Might be more meaningful to test to los Angeles or western coast of Canada, since most, if not all, snails live on the north American continent. I'm sure you'd still get good rates that direction as well. Wish my roadrunner was all that.

I used to have FIOS a while back which is supposed to be better but it wasn't. Road runner's highest package is nearly the same price as the basic FIOS and it has better stats. At least where I live it's like that.

Actually kCheeb. The ps3 Does the test for you. Go to the setting and go to test connection. The number should come up. MY download is 28.4 and upload is 4.8 mega.

Last edited:
Can someone on D3 tell me how was it last night? Who won overall? what combo was voted the most? I was mad for not racing but there was big fire works at canada's wonderland last night as today is Victoria's day holiday and the wife pulled me out for that as our son loves it. Well, sometimes you just can't say no but it hurts....yes it hurts.

Want to let this weeks prize winners know I've created a new tab on the Results Spreadsheet. Yeah more data!

Actually, it's not new data so much as re-organized data. The tab is Called Unraced Cars and Tracks and has just that. A list of Premium cars and Tracks (dirt, snow and custom excluded) not raced in S.N.A.I.L.

You can find it here.

Thought you might want to find that one special car, or track that has been overlooked :)

dabneyd
Does the PS3 browser support Flash? If not, there's your problem.

I don't think so, but it is capable of running Linux. I've been sooooooooo tempted to get another hard drive yo load that on so I can try greeting minecraft to run on it. My laptop has a hard time with it, but I think if I'm creative with it and brush up (relearn lol) on my python skills I might be able to make it happen.

If I could get another ps3 to play with I would be ecstatic. There's just sooooooooo many things you can do with them.

I've been tempted to buy one so I can make a portable Gt5 rig. How cool would it be to plug in your briefcase at Starbucks and start hot lapping while some hipster next to you writes bromance on a typewriter?

Sorry for the off topic-ness. I can't decide if I should stop posting when I take medicine (adhd) with coffee or if I should post more. It makes me randomly ramble.

On topic. SMASHING RACING LAST NIGHT! Monza wasn't a total disaster and was surprisingly fun. In the first race I struggled up into first, looked back only to see DrrGreenThumb and Tcrash dishing it out for second, and I thought "pleeeaaaassse keep each other distracted. If one of you crashes I'm a goner." Luckily they battled until lap four and I had enough of a gap to stay safe and finish first. That was a white knuckle race for me!

Laguna was freaking sweet! The Solstice is an enjoyable car to drive on it's own, but man does it like to promote some close battles! I think it was either Gcioiteaa (I forgot everything after the first to letters) or GarageFather and I had a five lap battle in the first race. It was bumper to bumper fighting tooth and nail just to try and find an opening! Then there was my err... ambitious pass attempt on Tcrash heading up to the corkscrew. I got pressured into the sand (completely clean move by him. I don't even think he could see me yet) and made it even with him before I hit the wall where it angles in. Still trying to figure out how I didn't lose very much time on that one. The final thing from that race (pretty sure it was the first one) that I don't understand is DrrGreenThumb's dirty tire skills. The left turn before the corkscrew he went off on the right, but carried plenty of speed to stay in front of me. He must have only been on the track for 500 feet before the corkscrew (I could still see how dirty his tires were!) but his braking point remained unchanged and he rolled through the corkscrew without a problem! I'm amazed that he pulled it off! Seriously Green, mad props for that :cool:

The second race at Laguna was a mad dash to the finish. I had a wonderful view of Tcrash and (yellow car) fighting for five laps. Unfortunately both Tcrash and I completely bombed the corkscrew 👎 but after a race like that I could care less about the results 👍

First race at Spa was surprising. IceWarden popped in front of me right after the rouge and gave me a dang good fight! I wish he hadn't gotten a penalty on the second lap though 👎 I was looking forward to a fight, but rouge is a picky one.

I'm disappointed with (my performance at) the second race at Spa. I got caught up in traffic, everyone was always touching (not bumping) each other which got me excited causing me to start making errors then getting mad at myself making things worse. It was the first time I've gotten angry while racing in a very long time and am disappointed in myself for letting it happen. I would like to apologize if my inhibited driving effected anyone's race. I'll try my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

With how much I've been enjoying snail recently I hate to say that I probably won't make it next week. I'm going to be out of town for memorial day and unless the place I'm staying at has beefed up their wifi I stand no chance of racing; let alone racing without problems. If I can I'll bring my system, hop on the track, and sit on the sideline. Gotta get them grandstand points!

One more thing (I swear I'll be done after this) a lot of cool cars roll in and out of my shop and I can post pics if anyone is interested. Sometimes it's just a cool car you don't see very often and sometimes (especially if my buddy needs a hand in his shop) I see some true beauties.

That's enough adhd for this thread today.

Wondering if anyone has ever had the experience of being thrown off the track due to connection issues? Last night in Race #1 on the last lap I was following chatva up the hill leading to the corkscrew when he made a beeline straight off the track, no one around him. Then a few seconds later I hear a crash sound like someone hit me, but again no one was even near me. I mean I was just driving straight and bam I'm in the air and sideways and end up deposited in the wall.

A little disappointed as it cost me 3 places (went from 3rd to 6th). Also, I don't want this to be construed as any type of racing complaint. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience before.

Wondering if anyone has ever had the experience of being thrown off the track due to connection issues? Last night in Race #1 on the last lap I was following chatva up the hill leading to the corkscrew when he made a beeline straight off the track, no one around him. Then a few seconds later I hear a crash sound like someone hit me, but again no one was even near me. I mean I was just driving straight and bam I'm in the air and sideways and end up deposited in the wall.

A little disappointed as it cost me 3 places (went from 3rd to 6th). Also, I don't want this to be construed as any type of racing complaint. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience before.

Sounds to me like it was a lag/connection issue. One way to be sure is to check the Driver Count on screen when racing. It's in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It'll show your position out of the total number of drivers.

If there are 10 drivers and you see 3/9, you're not seeing someone and if you're racing in proximity to each other, bad things usually happen.

Yep... you experienced big lag issue

Can someone on D3 tell me how was it last night? Who won overall? what combo was voted the most? I was mad for not racing but there was big fire works at canada's wonderland last night as today is Victoria's day holiday and the wife pulled me out for that as our son loves it. Well, sometimes you just can't say no but it hurts....yes it hurts.

Dabney won with 92 points. I guess the voting does not matter at it is a combined thing between all divisions. But I think the SLR is on the Axe.

First race at Spa was surprising. IceWarden popped in front of me right after the rouge and gave me a dang good fight! I wish he hadn't gotten a penalty on the second lap though I was looking forward to a fight, but rouge is a picky one

Yes it is, but also sweet when you get it right. I finally figure out how to take it without breaking or shifting down. But get the angle wrong and you'll get penalty or have to do heavy braking and putting yourself a big target for passing on your back.

2nd race I got 2 penalties, one at Eua Rouge and another one at the last chicane. Enough to lose over 10 seconds. :yuck:

Last edited:
I don't think so, but it is capable of running Linux. I've been sooooooooo tempted to get another hard drive yo load that on so I can try greeting minecraft to run on it. My laptop has a hard time with it, but I think if I'm creative with it and brush up (relearn lol) on my python skills I might be able to make it happen.

Was capable of running linux. They removed that support with one update or another.

2719950982.png

Here is my results. it's pretty good but everyone in the house uses up the bandwidth at that time of day.

Nice stats! I'm not sure how much bandwidth goes down on Sunday nights, but I'll go ahead and list you as a capable host for now. If nobody in D4 steps up with a good connection, we may have to move you to primary host if that's okay with you.

Thanks for volunteering, al! cheeb's put together an awesome instructional video so I'm sure he'll be PM'ing you with that. From there, you and Exo can talk about who'll be the primary video uploader, and who will be the backup. Just let me know what y'all decide so that I can update the TEAM S.N.A.I.L. post.

Yes awesome stuff, albti thanks! I put albti as the primary, with exo as the backup, spread the load :)

Okay, cool. I've updated the TEAM S.N.A.I.L. post. :cool:

Also, who is managing the settings and changing the tracks while Exo is keeping score? As seen here, Exo appears to be the only division director wearing both of those hats. If nobody is already helping with the settings, perhaps you can assist with that?

This helps out the scorekeeper a lot and it keeps the room moving too. Super simple to deal with, Initial room setup per post one, pick the track, the laps and change between reverse grid and fastest first. Anyone?

Any takers on co-directing D4 with Exo? :D

Our loss, your family's gain 👍

Dabney won with 92 points. I guess the voting does not matter at it is a combined thing between all divisions. But I think the SLR is on the Axe.

This tab on the S.N.A.I.L. Results spreadsheet has all the voting from Feb 2012 to last night :D

I got them dealt with a little sooner than usual, holiday in Canada, go Queen Victoria!

REMINDER

If you believe that another driver exhibited poor racecraft or is guilty of an OLR Rules violation, please file a complaint by 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific tonight. You must follow the complaint process precisely or your complaint might not be addressed! If you're undecided on whether or not you should file a complaint, please read this. Also keep in mind that a race complaint isn't supposed to be an argument. Here are some good tips on how to make sure things stay civil and respectful. 👍

I'm a little shocked to find out I got second place for the night. Messed up all 3 reverse grid races.

Reminds me of the story about the two guys trying to out run a bear... The one guy says "you can't out run a bear" and the other said "don't have to, just need to out run you".

Last edited:
ANOTHER REMINDER AND A REQUEST

Per our 2013 calendar, I wanted to remind everyone that we won't have an official league night next Sunday due to Memorial Day weekend. Therefore, we'll actually be wrapping up the May season on June 2nd.

That being said, there will still be plenty of SNAILs who'll want to get their Sunday night racing fix! So if you have a good idea for a special event this Sunday night, please post your idea on the thread. If there are multiple suggestions that result in a lot of conversation, we can always take a vote. We could also run separate events in the multiple SNAIL_DivisionX lounges. It's whatever you guys want! We always stick to a strict format on Sunday night, so this is your chance to shake things up! Let's hear your ideas! :dopey:

That being said, there will still be plenty of SNAILs who'll want to get their Sunday night racing fix! So if you have a good idea for a special event this Sunday night, please post your idea on the thread. If there are multiple suggestions that result in a lot of conversation, we can always take a vote. We could also run separate events in the multiple SNAIL_DivisionX lounges. It's whatever you guys want! We always stick to a strict format on Sunday night, so this is your chance to shake things up! Let's hear your ideas! :dopey:

For the Nurburging Nordschleife lovers.. I propose the Nurb Recycler -
Win the race - choose the car to be run from the list of previously used SNAIL cars. 2 laps around the Nord with fast tire ware to make it interesting. Or Cat and Mouse is always fun.

zer05ive

Per our 2013 calendar, I wanted to remind everyone that we won't have an official league night next Sunday due to Memorial Day weekend. Therefore, we'll actually be wrapping up the May season on June 2nd.

There is a lot of racing this weekend, Coca Cola 600 with Nascar, indy 500 for indy car, Monaco Grand Prix F1, NHRA Drag racing from Englishtown NJ. I bet we can get something going with a mix of all of that if not one big event. I'll let you all play with that and see what you all have for ideas. But I'm down for a drag racing event at indy or something..... Just saying

Ahem. SNAIL Touge Event :D I can post details up later if some people are interested in this idea. As for those who have no idea what touge racing is, basically it is racing on a mountain pass between two drivers. Head to head, nose to tail. Im sure alot of people will like this idea seeing as this is different and can be very fun.

In that case. I will be doing the in game Nurburgring 24 Hour Race. Unless I finish quickly. I doubt I will be able to partake anything in snail.

Drag racing RYFTARN EVENT set a PP/HP and Wight then run them get a group of 16, 8 rednecks and 8 pieces of S==== and we'll see what's up

In that case. I will be doing the in game Nurburgring 24 Hour Race. Unless I finish quickly. I doubt I will be able to partake anything in snail.

Now might be a good time for me to do that as well. It's the last event left to get me to 100%. Took me a week to get Lemans done.

I'm a little shocked to find out I got second place for the night. Messed up all 3 reverse grid races.

Reminds me of the story about the two guys trying to out run a bear... The one guy says "you can't out run a bear" and the other said "don't have to, just need to out run you".

Werd brother. With non broken in cars and zero practice I somehow managed 80 points, fast lap on 4 of the 6 races and three podiums (1 win and 2 2nd place).

The problem is that it took all of qualifying and a couple of laps into the race before I was up to speed on the new car and track combo.

It's a victory for me just being able to race :)

Anyways...wife was working on the computer last night so I jumped in with 5 minutes to spare. Still not a fan of the sprint race format. Thinking the races would go more smoothly with qualifying on the first track and reverse grid the rest of the night. Would take away 25 minutes of qualifying time and add it to the actual racing time. Would cut down on the urgency to get to the front. You've heard it all before though so doubt it will change.

Might get a lucky night in sometime in the future.

PP Cap tonight at 10pm est!

Last edited:
Back