Compulsory Licence in Gran Turismo 6

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 143 comments
Yep, utter waste of time. Players learn more in 10 minutes of online racing than 10 hours of license tests.

Yes, I learnt that most of the general population really don't have any race craft, and probably don't like the license tests because you can't cut corners, or bounce off other players... seriously though, online racing might teach you some of the racing skills, but the license tests do a much better job of teaching how important the racing line is, and how marginal you have to be with some of the controls... I've spent hours trying to gold things because I'm 0.05s off the time.. and it all just comes down to the tiniest bit later braking, or taking fractionally less kerb., etc. these are subtleties I don't think you pick up on when racing online.

Some of us already know our way around the tracks, because GT isn't the only game we play.

And some of us have done the licenses 5 times before, and think having to do them again is boring.

Well great, GT is the only driving game I've played (edit: actually that's not true at all, but it is the only one I've played with any regularity other than TOCA 2), in about 12 of it's iterations so far... and I've not got tired of those that had license tests... I can barely see what the fuss is about to be honest, it's just a part of the game (or in the case of GT4:P.. it was the game!)

I like SlipZtrEm's ideas, incentivise people to do the licenses rather than using them as a timesink that you must complete before you can do real racing. There are plenty of ways to gate progression according to skill without resorting to something as crude as licenses.

I do think they should still be in the game, because they add flavour and are part of the history. But care needs to be taken that they add something positive to the game, rather than just being something that you have to get out of the way before you can play for real.

And if it so happened that you personally weren't good enough to get even the first license? What would your opinion be then? Would you be happy that you'd paid $60 for a game you can't play because the developers have decided that you're not good enough?

It really is down to the player to use a little common-sense, you don't have to do all the license test in one go before you can do any racing. If you don't want to, or aren't able to get through the B license in a few minutes, then really, you either aren't that fussed about playing them game, or there's probably very little point in even starting a race anyway since you'd be unlikely to even make the braking zone for the first corner! Whilst you work your way through the B license, you can do the Sunday cup etc... and once you've unlocked the B events, start doing the A tests... it's not like it's some great impassable wall that you have to try and scale before you can do any racing... And IIRC there's always arcade mode.

Excellent idea.

... Repairs from a serious crash should take several weeks ...

Sarcasm aside, I've always thought it would make sense for there to be at least a repair bill - it would promote better driving standards and keep progression in the game a little more linear.

There are lot's of other racing games out there that can just offer straight forward entertainment if you just fancy like blasting round a track for half an hour... why are people playing GT if they don't like what the GT franchise is about?

I like how every time this topic is broached there is rarely any reasoning for why licences should be mandatory besides "because I like doing them" or "because that's how they used to be."

Last edited:
I like how every time this topic is broached there is rarely any reasoning for why licences should be mandatory besides "'cuz I said" or "because that's how they used to be."

To be fair, there's not much reason for anything in the game to be mandatory, even money... why not just make all the cars, all the tracks and all the events free and open from the start? Any form of linear progression is going to require something that is mandatory, except with licenses it can be taken care of in a few hours, rather than consistently having to grind for XP.

For me it's about a sense of achievement. I rarely play online, so I want the career mode to be well structured to get more enjoyment from the game. I understand that some people just want to have everything straightaway so they can go and race their mates online, and spending a few hours out of years worth of entertainment must be a real drag!

To be fair, there's not much reason for anything in the game to be mandatory, even money... why not just make all the cars, all the tracks and all the events free and open from the start?

Good question. Why not? You'd be hard pressed to say why that is such a horrible thing to, say, Exorcet; and I certainly don't see why just bypassing all of the licences and then playing one of the older games normally otherwise is so bad when I've done exactly that for every replay from scratch of GT2 (in particular) and GT3.

Any form of linear progression is going to require something that is mandatory, except with licenses it can be taken care of in a few hours, rather than consistently having to grind for XP.

False dichotomy. Just because GT5's progression system was atrocious in design doesn't mean that the only alternative system is a constantly lambasted few hours of mandatory tutorials from older games.

For me it's about a sense of achievement. I rarely play online, so I want the career mode to be well structured to get more enjoyment from the game. I understand that some people just want to have everything straightaway so they can go and race their mates online,

So why is there no sense of achievement if something isn't mandatory to do just because it lets the latter group do what they want? The licence tests weren't forced on you, so therefore if you do them you don't get anything out of it? When GT5 first came out I burned through all of them (because I wanted the experience boost more than anything, especially after the stupid thing that made you buy a car before you did them limited my options otherwise) knowing they weren't mandatory, and still felt like I accomplished something when I completed the particularly nasty ones (like IC10). Maybe that's changed since they forced SRF on for them too (I wouldn't be surprised), but that's a problem with the tests themselves (and PD's insistence on not allowing choice even when they initially do). Not the concept of them being optional.

and spending a few hours out of years worth of entertainment must be a real drag!

It certainly is when there's no real reasoning given for why they need to.

Last edited:
Actually, that was my idea :grumpy: in order to make good use of three existing game functions: in-game days, engine/chassis recycle and delivery truck and combine them so repairs and such takes actual in-game days.

I know you've been sarcastic, but I am dead serious.

In that case, you could make it so that it was an integral part of the game and was somewhat interesting. It'd need to be linked to in-game days though. It'd certainly be interesting to see a game that you had to manage in-game time though. I'm not entirely sure it would work that well, but it's a new idea and I'm sure with some good design it could be pretty nifty.

What I actually meant was real time days. If I have to start repairing my car today for a race in two weeks, that's just a nightmare.

@MatskiMonk:

When your argument for including something is that you can blow through them in a trivial amount of time anyway, there's something wrong. You're not going to please anyone with that sort of system. The people who like it will be annoyed that it's too short and easy, and the people that don't will be annoyed that it's there at all.

I think, remove the Licenses as a gateway to races. Make races a gateway to races if you must, you have to beat the LMP series before you get to the F1 series or whatever. But even that's not strictly necessary. Each series should be enjoyable enough that people would race it for it's own sake, not just because they need to in order to get to the race they really like.

Licenses should be spun off into a Driving School. Go to Driving School to learn advanced techniques for driving. The real reward is that you end up a better driver, but for people that are beyond that skill level there's plenty you can do to motivate them. Cash bonuses, achievements, special visual customisations (hats! liveries!), whatever.

There is no need to have Licenses blocking the gameplay. Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean it's good design.

False dichotomy. Just because GT5's progression system was atrocious in design doesn't mean that the only alternative system is a constantly lambasted few hours of mandatory tutorials from older games.

I didn't say it was the only alternative, I just happen to think it works well. My point is something has to be mandatory unless the game is completely open... so if it's the limitation, rather than the method, people object to, they are really expecting a much bigger change from the game

So why is there no sense of achievement if something isn't mandatory to do just because it lets the latter group do what they want? The licence tests weren't forced on you, so therefore if you do them you don't get anything out of it?

I never said that there was no sense of achievement. Obviously there is, in achieving each trophy. But it helps give the game structure, a starting point.. it helps the career mode have a beginning, a middle, and an end... so it feels like a longer journey, and therefore the sense of satisfaction is greater.

It certainly is when there's no real reasoning given for why they need to.

Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that really needs to be justified to me... it's just par of Gran Turismo gameplay, and has been integral to it for most of the series. There's still newcomers to the game too, we haven't all been playing it for 15 years.

Imari
When your argument for including something is that you can blow through them in a trivial amount of time anyway, there's something wrong. You're not going to please anyone with that sort of system. The people who like it will be annoyed that it's too short and easy, and the people that don't will be annoyed that it's there at all.

It is possible for the majority of people to attain a 'passing grade' that will enable them to play the whole game, in a short amount of time (in fact a miniscule amount of time compared to the longevity of the game)... thus I don't get what the big deal is. The license system being graded with trophies and prizes means you can play the minimum if you want, at a cost to your life of a few hours, or you can spend many many hours trying to achieve all golds.

Imari
There is no need to have Licenses blocking the gameplay. Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean it's good design.

And just because you have a problem with it, doesn't make it bad design. I think it's effective, although admittedly, it can be frustrating when on the All-gold quest. As I said above, there is no need to have anything blocking the gameplay, in that sense I agree, there is no need to have licenses "blocking" gameplay, but I do think it makes the game better for it.

I didn't say it was the only alternative, I just happen to think it works well. My point is something has to be mandatory unless the game is completely open... so if it's the limitation, rather than the method, people object to, they are really expecting a much bigger change from the game

Again. GT2 is no worse the wear for it if you just bypass the licences entirely, because there is still plenty of actual game to experience. And it's not a big change to combine the progression system of GT4 (where things are based primarily on your money, but also based on percentage completed in the upper events) with the licence system of GT5.

But it helps give the game structure, a starting point.. it helps the career mode have a beginning, a middle, and an end... so it feels like a longer journey, and therefore the sense of satisfaction is greater.

The exact same structure is there even if the licence tests weren't mandatory. The exact same structure is there even if the licence tests didn't exist. You still have hundreds of races to do. You still start with a crappy car and work your way up, unlocking races as you progress (usually tied to percentage). GT2 was almost completely open in terms of structure (there were, what? 8 races you couldn't do without them being unlocked first) while still being within the traditional GT style, and there was still quite a bit to do.

Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that really needs to be justified to me... it's just par of Gran Turismo gameplay, and has been integral to it for most of the series. There's still newcomers to the game too, we haven't all been playing it for 15 years.

So your ultimate reasoning for why it should be mandatory is... because that's how they used to be.

And just because you have a problem with it, doesn't make it bad design.

It actually kinda does. It's a forced tutorial with little basis in reality that basically covers the exact same ground (namely, practice in repetition and exploitation more than actual racecraft) as every other forced tutorial the series has had since inception. If someone wants to jump into the game and actually play the part with races, but they have to put the brakes on for an hour or two to even do that much, why is that not bad game design when there is no reason that they should have to do it in the first place?

I think it's effective, although admittedly, it can be frustrating when on the All-gold quest. As I said above, there is no need to have anything blocking the gameplay, in that sense I agree, there is no need to have licenses "blocking" gameplay, but I do think it makes the game better for it.

If there is no need for the licences to block gameplay, then by definition it doesn't make the game better for the people who don't want or need to do all of them again.

Last edited:
I like the idea of using it to improve online racing. Perhaps the license tests could focus more on clean passing, racing etiquette. In that way, it could be somewhat similar but more casual version of iRacing's safety rating. More casual in that it's not a constantly changing figure, but something you earn once.

Then online, players can restrict races to only players who have earned the appropriate license, therefore theoretically making for cleaner online races when wanted.

For the offline component, perhaps the license tests would then simply be a way of earning extra credits and unique prize cars early on. I still think they should keep some racing events locked from the beginning, just because it feels more rewarding to actually unlock something through effort compared to having it available from the start, to me.

/my thoughts

I like the idea of using it to improve online racing. Perhaps the license tests could focus more on clean passing, racing etiquette. In that way, it could be somewhat similar but more casual version of iRacing's safety rating. More casual in that it's not a constantly changing figure, but something you earn once.

Then online, players can restrict races to only players who have earned the appropriate license, therefore theoretically making for cleaner online races when wanted.

For the offline component, perhaps the license tests would then simply be a way of earning extra credits and unique prize cars early on. I still think they should keep some racing events locked from the beginning, just because it feels more rewarding to actually unlock something through effort compared to having it available from the start, to me.

/my thoughts

I really like your idea Cosmo, greating thinking there. 👍 Far more better than the other guy's idea saying you could learn how to drive from racing online..... Seriously? BAHAhaha!! :lol:

Experienced drivers who don't like them (whom I'm sure will show up in this thread) can always zip through them with first try bronzes or better in an hour or less (if GT6 will have those well anticipated quick loading times), so it's not a big deal for those who don't like them if they're compulsory.

It is a pointless exercise and a complete waste of time. It is a big deal even if your superhuman (and less than experienced drivers have just as much right to ignore the tests). The licenses should be optional, it's the only way to make it fit in for everyone.

I really like your idea Cosmo, greating thinking there. 👍 Far more better than the other guy's idea saying you could learn how to drive from racing online..... Seriously? BAHAhaha!! :lol:

Driving online is about as good as it gets for learning racing, though some rooms are better than others.

I never said that there was no sense of achievement. Obviously there is, in achieving each trophy. But it helps give the game structure, a starting point.. it helps the career mode have a beginning, a middle, and an end... so it feels like a longer journey, and therefore the sense of satisfaction is greater.
Waiting in line at the DMV does not give me a sense of satisfaction. Driving does.

Far more better than the other guy's idea saying you could learn how to drive from racing online..... Seriously? BAHAhaha!! :lol:

I'm curious. Let's say I find a good room to race in online. Good drivers who do clean races in balanced cars. I save the replay and rewatch it later to see what happened firsthand. This was hardly a million-to-one occurrence, because I was doing just that in GT5 soon after it came out; even before the PP or tire restrictions were in the game. How will I not learn more from that then, say, doing both of these for 5 minutes each until I "mastered" them (read: found out the exact speed to hit the brakes to gold the test):

Driving online is about as good as it gets for learning racing, though some rooms are better than others.

I know, but that seems kinda strange. I thought they'll learn how to crash others off the tracks. :lol:

I'm curious. Let's say I find a good room to race in online. Good drivers who do clean races in balanced cars. I save the replay and rewatch it later to see what happened firsthand. How will I not learn more from that then, say, doing both of these for 5 minutes each until I "mastered" them (read: found out the exact speed to hit the brakes to gold the test):

Hmm. Can't disagree with that, you're right. What about the free run rooms? Guessing the same thing.

The exact same structure is there even if the licence tests weren't mandatory. The exact same structure is there even if the licence tests didn't exist. You still have hundreds of races to do. You still start with a crappy car and work your way up, unlocking races as you progress (usually tied to percentage).

That's not structure, a variety of unrelated things available to be done in any sequence isn't structure, it's closer to open world play - which has it's place - but structure it is not.

So your ultimate reasoning for why it should be mandatory is... because that's how they used to be.

No, you're badly paraphrasing there, and I notice you've edited your previous post to suggest that I was going to make a predictable argument! Nicely done..

The entire idea of a "License" at all is to prove your worth and competence in something, before it's undertaken, now I think about it, a non-mandatory license is a stupid idea... if they're in, they should be mandatory, if they're not mandatory then do away with them completely, or call them something else entirely.

It actually kinda does. It's a forced tutorial with little basis in reality that basically covers the exact same ground (namely, practice in repetition and exploitation more than actual racecraft) as every other forced tutorial the series has had since inception.

It actually kinda doesn't. It's an integral part of the gameplay with much emphasis on the techniques that will be used throughout the game, that means people can take the time to learn the finer points of driving, rather than doing just enough to win...

.. but there you see, we are both just stating our opinions.

If someone wants to jump into the game and actually play the part with races, but they have to put the brakes on for an hour or two to even do that much, why is that not bad game design when there is no reason that they should have to do it in the first place?

I might be wrong, since I never bother with it.. but is there no longer an Arcade mode?

If there is no need for the licences to block gameplay, then by definition it doesn't make the game better for the people who don't want or need to do all of them again.

You make you point well, it is still to me only a trivial expense though since I find it enjoyable/challenging/frustrating, and lets be honest, they will be as different to each other this time around as the FF-cup, the MR-Cup, the FR-Cup etc. etc. (insert all the other regular events here), will be from previous generations - repetition is rife in the events too, but it's part of the game.. and it keeps most coming back for more.

I'm curious. Let's say I find a good room to race in online. Good drivers who do clean races in balanced cars. I save the replay and rewatch it later to see what happened firsthand. This was hardly a million-to-one occurrence, because I was doing just that in GT5 soon after it came out; even before the PP or tire restrictions were in the game. How will I not learn more from that then, say, doing both of these for 5 minutes each until I "mastered" them (read: found out the exact speed to hit the brakes to gold the test):

Probably a good idea to do that too if you want to get better... of course in the most basics test's that you've used to illustrate your point, you can pretty much have golded all the straigtline tests in the amount of time it takes you to find "a good room to race in online. Good drivers who do clean races in balanced cars."

Last edited:
I wish we could see our friends licence times and challenge them, this would be so fun and challenging to see who's a better driver.

I wish we could see our friends licence times and challenge them, this would be so fun and challenging to see who's a better driver.

That option was imagined for GT3. There was unusable functionality where you could produce a code from your record time to use that code *somewhere*.

Unfortunately, there was nowhere to be used - but it clear they had the idea to make something like that.

I expect how some kind of "Autolog" functionality will exist in GT6, but I guess we will learn that during TGS presentation.

That's not structure, a variety of unrelated things available to be done in any sequence isn't structure, it's closer to open world play - which has it's place - but structure it is not.
The game's economy provides the structure.

It actually kinda doesn't. It's an integral part of the gameplay with much emphasis on the techniques that will be used throughout the game, that means people can take the time to learn the finer points of driving, rather than doing just enough to win...

It doesn't really teach techniques. It certainly doesn't teach proper racecraft. It teaches you to do the same thing over and over again until you get it right; and much of the time "getting it right" means you exploited the parameters well enough. In GT2, there was a reasonable chance that you could wallride in many of the tests and blow through the gold time. In GT3 and GT4 the rally tests were almost ridiculously easy to pass once you realized there was a way to slam the car into the walls without failing. In GT4 the "chase the Pace Car" races were no problem once you realized just how much you could use it as a brake (or bump-drafting it down the entire Nurburgring). In GT5, the AI passing tests were made trivial once you realized that the AI was always always always in the exact same position on the track at the same time every time you did the test. Then there was the period of time between patches where PD turned off the AI contact fail conditions, making even IC10 completely trivial because you could use an AI car in every braking point one the track.

.. but there you see, we are both just stating our opinions.

The difference is that my opinion is calling for people to have the option to progress through the game as they want, and you're opinion is calling for people to continue putting up with a forced set of arbitrary tests for little reason beyond semantics, tradition and you judging that you know better for me than I do.

now I think about it, a non-mandatory license is a stupid idea... if they're in, they should be mandatory, if they're not mandatory then do away with them completely, or call them something else entirely.

So call them something else entirely. "Driving Missions" or "Special Events" would be good.

I might be wrong, since I never bother with it.. but is there no longer an Arcade mode?
There's an arcade mode with an extremely limited selection of cars and almost no way of taking part in races to your liking; and it's completely segregated from online and GT Mode. In a word, it's useless.

You make you point well, it is still to me only a trivial expense though since I find it enjoyable/challenging/frustrating, and lets be honest, they will be as different to each other this time around as the FF-cup, the MR-Cup, the FR-Cup etc. etc. (insert all the other regular events here), will be from previous generations - repetition is rife in the events too, but it's part of the game.. and it keeps most coming back for more.

Doing the same types of races in GT6 as you did in GT1, with different cars and physics and blah blah; isn't the same thing as doing the exact same test over and over and over again until you do it just right to gold it (or bronze it, for people who aren't that good). The former is just a familiar sense of structure. The latter is just trial and error.

"I stomp on the throttle, let the car shift itself, don't even touch the wheel, and hit the brakes at exactly 174 km/h, and I'll gold the test." Had I been doing the test, that probably would have taken me 5 minutes or so to determine that exact sequence. And that test has been in every GT game I've played, I'm pretty sure. What does that teach me? Compare that to this wonderful idea from Famine a few years ago in a similar topic:

Now... I'm a Goldjunkie - I have all-gold licences in multiple GT games in multiple regions - but I think the way GT does licences needs reviewing.

The tests themselves aren't the issue - they teach several things about the physics and driving lines to even experienced players. It's the implementation.

In reality, all you need to get a race licence is a short assessment of competancy. To get a higher-level race licence you need to drive a certain number of races at the lower level and this holds true right up to the highest levels, where performance becomes an issue too - to get a super licence you need to be an existing super licence holder or a champion of certain national/international series. Extending this to GT you'd need a single set of licence tests, then cut your teeth in road-based car series with your basic licence, advance to silhouette and single-seater racing, advance to international series and eventually, if you perform well enough at something like GT series or F2 you can get an F1/Indy/Sprint licence.

The current licence tests could then become a tutorial tool like GT4's Driving Missions - you don't have to do them, but they enhance your skills and you get game completion and prize cars/money for them. But not being able to do a 40mph slalom in a Saxo won't be a barrier to driving a 24hr race in an Aston Martin - and being able to do a 40mph slalom in a Saxo won't be a qualification to driving a 24hr race in an Aston Martin. The game becomes progressional and developmental while being accessible to all and the difficulty isn't diminished.

Where it's clear just what I'm learning and what I'm supposed to take away because I'm actually getting real experience to progress through the game, and the game judges how I gain that experience based on how good I am.

The entire idea of a "License" at all is to prove your worth and competence in something

Funny thing happened. I remembered the above fantastic post by Famine on the issue, so I looked up the thread in the GT5 forum. I also stumbled upon this:
License tests force you to suceed by driving properly.. ultimately making you a better driver, and improving you long term enjoyment of the game.

And lets be honest, all you need to do is get bronze across the board to get the license.. and if that takes more than a 1 or 2 goes, then maybe you should go back to Mario Kart!
That just sounds like elitism to me. Is that what I was supposed to take from that?

Last edited:
I really miss having the cool feeling of entering the licence menu in GT3, not much with 4, but still it was much more of a thing that made the game harder, just think we needed S licence and completed all the other races to enter the Formula Gran turismo in GT3, i really miss when it was presented with a question mark, it made the game feel so much more exciting and playable rather than skipping through levels to each section like GT5.

Pro.jpg

It doesn't really teach techniques. It certainly doesn't teach proper racecraft. It teaches you to do the same thing over and over again until you get it right; and much of the time "getting it right" means you exploited the parameters well enough. In GT2, there was a reasonable chance that you could wallride in many of the tests and blow through the gold time. In GT3 and GT4 the rally tests were almost ridiculously easy to pass once you realized there was a way to slam the car into the walls without failing. In GT4 the "chase the Pace Car" races were no problem once you realized just how much you could use it as a brake (or bump-drafting it down the entire Nurburgring).

Huh, visionary then... even in those games they were teaching you the techniques used in online play!

In GT5, the AI passing tests were made trivial once you realized that the AI was always always always in the exact same position on the track at the same time every time you did the test. Then there was the period of time between patches where PD turned off the AI contact fail conditions, making even IC10 completely trivial because you could use an AI car in every braking point one the track.

Honestly, I don't remember any of the problems you mentioned, I was probably just too busy playing them in the spirit of the game... (or, I might also have been drunk)

The difference is that my opinion is calling for people to have the option to progress through the game as they want, and you're opinion is calling for people to continue putting up with a forced set of arbitrary tests for little reason beyond semantics, tradition and you judging that you know better for me than I do.

Fine, but I don't understand why you draw the line where you do (assuming you are drawing it at license tests). I think the license tests work quite well to segment progress, so I'm happy to draw my line at them, because it's worked in the past (semantics and tradition) ... you're singling them out as a problem when actually a far bigger limitation might be the cost of the cars (for example).... would you call for free cars too?

Doing the same types of races in GT6 as you did in GT1, with different cars and physics and blah blah; isn't the same thing as doing the exact same test over and over and over again until you do it just right to gold it (or bronze it, for people who aren't that good). The former is just a familiar sense of structure. The latter is just trial and error.

The latter will also utilize different cars, tracks and newer physics... I see little real difference if we boil this down to basics/

That just sounds like elitism to me. Is that what I was supposed to take from that?

Well, I'm glad I'm not contradicting myself now at least 👍 I was going to say a similar thing earlier on, but with mod-nation racers :dopey:

Anyway, you call it elitism if you want. I call it meeting a basic reasonable standard, and that's not a bad thing, I'm sure you wouldn't welcome somebody into your online room for a race that didn't have the skill or inclination to even bronze 10 events lasting only a couple of minutes each.

Watch at 1:29

GT5 sound so much better with the old music, what the hell a Chemical Romance, the original opening song is terrible.

I want licence tests, but use the GT3-4 format. With GT5 I never felt like I have achieved something by golding them. They were way to easy.

I think they should make it so you can unlock events by either a) having the appropriate license or b) winning all the events in the previous series (ie complete all the events in the beginner series and then you unlock the amateur series

Yep, utter waste of time. Players learn more in 10 minutes of online racing than 10 hours of license tests.

What do they learn in 10 minutes? Using other cars as a cushion is OK? Bouncing off walls instead of braking makes you faster?

For a learning driver I think online racing is the last place to learn, at least on GT5 and it's magnitude of idiot drivers.

MatskiMonk
The entire idea of a "License" at all is to prove your worth and competence in something, before it's undertaken, now I think about it, a non-mandatory license is a stupid idea... if they're in, they should be mandatory, if they're not mandatory then do away with them completely, or call them something else entirely.

This has been said by myself and many others.

Also, just because licence tests were taken in a previous GT, doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken again. Each game is new, with tracks and physics to get used to. The career mode is new so you must start at the bottom and the very bottom is licence tests.

I feel its the die hard GT players that respect licences.
GT should be savoured like a fine wine. Too many people in a rush for nothing.

. you're singling them out as a problem when actually a far bigger limitation might be the cost of the cars (for example).... would you call for free cars too?

Free cars doesn't actually do anything to the progression of the game, assuming you have it laid out in such a way as not to require grinding. At any given point you should have or be able to afford at least the one car you need to keep progressing.

What having car costs does is tie you down to a single choice. You can always afford a car for the next race, but maybe you can only afford one. It makes you choose a car, and stick with it, presumably in the hope of developing a bond or relationship with that particular car. Getting a car that is special for you is a lot of the fun of something like GT.

I had the frog green FTO special in GT1, I loved that car to bits. Drove it everywhere. It was great. I even made myself a replica in FM4, just because I missed it. That's developing a great car bond, and it's much harder to do if you're changing between cars every five minutes. Building that bond takes time.

Anyway, free cars wouldn't affect progression in any negative way. You still have to do the races, and they still take just as long. They would affect the culture of car ownership that is part of the game. At least it's part of the GT Mode section of the game.

This has been said by myself and many others.

Also, just because licence tests were taken in a previous GT, doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken again. Each game is new, with tracks and physics to get used to. The career mode is new so you must start at the bottom and the very bottom is licence tests.

GT should be savoured like a fine wine. Too many people in a rush for nothing.

No one's in a rush. Licenses are just a waste of time to some of us. I didn't like license tests in GT1-4 because they were just an unnecessary interruption while I was trying to complete events. I don't like having my progression halted by something I don't want to do that will take 20 mins. to finish. I also don't see why I need to do licenses to "prove myself". I can do that by winning events. In addition, there are other ways to get used to the physics and tracks in the game other than licenses.

Forcing gameplay styles upon people just creates problems.

Last edited:

I am serious. Explain to me how learning to avoid contact from actual racers, learning to pass during racing, and getting feedback after the race is not better than learning how to hit the apex of one corner in one license test when driving one car. Or for that matter, how it isn't better than the GT5 S-License in every possible way. If anything, A-spec forgives bad habits like ramming cars off the road and taking shortcuts in order to win races.

For me, racing online improved my skills more than anything I did offline in GT5. As long as people can distinguish what is clean and what is not, and as long as they realise why they might get kicked out of a room.

Last edited:
I am serious. Explain to me how learning to avoid contact from actual racers, learning to pass during racing, and getting feedback after the race is not better than learning how to hit the apex of one corner in one license test when driving one car. Or for that matter, how it isn't better than the GT5 S-License in every possible way. If anything, A-spec forgives bad habits like ramming cars off the road and taking shortcuts in order to win races.

For me, racing online improved my skills more than anything I did offline in GT5. As long as people can distinguish what is clean and what is not, and as long as they realise why they might get kicked out of a room.

Exactly. Anything "learned" in these licenses tests can easily be thrown out the window. GT doesn't enforce clean driving in A-spec so why should have to waste time on license tests?

A single reason. One.

I don't.
GT should be savoured like a fine wine.
I agree. That's why I don't like PD refusing to serve it until you've had a few pints of expired milk before hand.

And rush what? The game ends when you do everything in A-Spec? Not for someone like me that enjoys the driving part. It's hard to rush something that can't end.

Back