◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,840 comments
The Pit Board

9581175376_734f274b07.jpg

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.
Anatole France

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
George Bernard Shaw

* * * * * * * * * * *​

I think tonight is going to be more of a Public Service Announcement than my usual rambling. There have been a few that have stuck a toe or two into the water on this but I think it is time to open the flood gates and acknowledge the elephant in the room. The elephant I speak of is Gran Turismo 6. In a few weeks, GT5 will begin its slow decent into folk lore. I will miss GT5. Largely due to this League and the souls that reside here.

GT6 is going to be available in a few weeks and there will be a tremendous amount of planning and work for the SNAIL community to make the transition to a new platform. I want to say this as loud and clear as I can. There is no way that we can all just sit back and let zer05ive and kcheeb put it all together. It is going to take ALL of us to make this transition work. As it has been said: "It Takes A Village". There is no doubt that this League will prevail but it is unacceptable to put that burden on just a couple people. We are more than just a League. We have become a family. We all need to work together and continue what we have built into the next generation.

We still have plenty of time to get our ducks in a row. It is time we start a discussion on how we will move to GT6. This discussion will not be about what we would like to change within the League. The formula we have going now will be the same in GT6. Don't mess with success. We need to start fielding ideas on how to make the switch. There are some that have pre-ordered and will have it right away. There will be those that may not get their copy until the holidays. A few may not be able to afford it right away. Fifty or sixty clams is hard to come by for some.

This has been on my mind quite a bit. I have already started to formulate an idea or two. You all need to do the same. If you have an idea, post it on the thread. There are so many brilliant people here. kcheeb and zer05ive have put in a great deal of personal time for our enjoyment and now we have an opportunity to show them that what we have is more than just an online racing league. We are SNAIL.

I really meant what I said last week. I want to share the Pit Board with anyone with something to say. Last week, Dragon gave us is perspective on life as Chief Steward. I have to say that is was awesome! We all think we know what everyone else does but there is nothing like hearing it from the guy doing it. I started with Dragon and would like to move on to zer0, 'cheeb and some of the folk within Team SNAIL. Provided they are willing:D. If this works out, I hope to move out to the other members. I believe everyone has something to say.

I think I am going to leave this alone now. I really want everyone to think about GT6 and how we can make the whole move as smooth as possible.

Race Clean, Race Hard, Race S.N.A.I.L.

Holy crap look at that antique! Man does that bring back some memories. Like the 1000+ hp Mitsu GTO and my first romp with an Rx7. I was always into cars to some extent, but this game is what pushed me over into full on auto addict.

Nice write up Exo, yet again. I think so far we have a pretty solid plan in place. Lets wait for the game! We have a transition date of Jan 1st, Which is nice and symbolic, out with the old, in with the new. No doubt all of us that can get the game will have it by then. But until we can actually get our hands on how this new online experience is going to work, we will not now exactly what to plan for. It does seem though that there will be a calendar of sorts, and that you can run championship series over time, at least that was my take on some of the cryptic info Kaz and his team have put out.
Outside of adapting to whatever new tools we get, I think the transition will be fairly smooth, as not much will have to change. We already have a very solid system in place, so anywhere PD may have slacked or done something that we can implement into our SNAIL ways, we already have something there that we know, and is tried and true.

I look forward to seeing just what can be done with gt6. PD really is hyping up the online experience of this game. I think we will have a lot of nice options open to us. Especially for the data miners.

"Three blind men were asked to describe an elephant. The first went to a leg - and described it as a tree. The second went to an ear - and described it ............. " You get the idea?

Only when we "see the Elephant" will we be able to describe It and the Process of Change.

Prior to entering the Elephant's Habitat - we can discuss possibilities of Transfer Time Tables, ID in our online "Handles" that associate us with SNAIL, Familiarization with cars, tracks, garages, etc. prior to the change, ............. a lot to actually know about GT6 before making any concrete decisions.

I am really looking forward to a New (maybe Improved) SNAIL Experience when "it happens". But, in the mean time I think we should maintain our GT5 League for a considerable time after the GT6 arrives. Maybe even run a few Test Events in GT6 to see how it goes, etc. (I wonder if we will have to start from scratch in GT6? Level 1, very little $$$, and only a few cars in the garage, etc.)

Mainly, "proceed with caution and deliberation" so as to not experience the "shoulda, coulda, woulda, and if only" disappointments.

Just my 1.5 cents worth (having to cut back because of Obamacare, ya know).

Last edited:
What lap times are people setting?

Only to respond to your request, but by no means a representation of challenging lap times:
Elise RM @ GVS/Rev: 2:05.698
RUF @ Monza (sans chickens): 1:46.132 (danger was much quicker than that)
LFA @ Indy Road: 1:37.653

While the Elise is fun - the other two are work and require constant focus.
Any distraction (even looking up to see a lap time or sector time) causes a missed brake or shift mark ....... with the known results to follow.

I really encourage everyone to be patient early in the RUF and LFA races. There was a lot of "skating/sliding" in the first lap last Thursday night - which lead to Demolition Derby moments. Discouraging to everyone - and we all hate running Hot Laps alone for the rest of the race, just to finish.

Last edited:
Hello guys, I have a doubt, even putting the maximum penalty if I step on the green cement Variante Ascari i'm not penalized. In practice thursday I lost time in this part of the circuit because I was avoiding going through the green cement. What is the limit that I use? keep two wheels on the track? That's what I was doing on Thursday but if another runner pass with all four wheels on green cement it will save time. thank you

Hello guys, I have a doubt, even putting the maximum penalty if I step on the green cement Variante Ascari i'm not penalized. In practice thursday I lost time in this part of the circuit because I was avoiding going through the green cement. What is the limit that I use? keep two wheels on the track? That's what I was doing on Thursday but if another runner pass with all four wheels on green cement it will save time. thank you
No four wheels on that corner, as the rules say, there is a rumble strip, two wheels must remain on or to the right on the track of that rumble strip.

No four wheels on that corner, as the rules say, there is a rumble strip, two wheels must remain on or to the right on the track of that rumble strip.

I think the more appropriate question, or maybe what XR_RACER might have been trying to ask, is will we be penalizing drivers who go all four wheels off at one of the chicanes? There are some situations where the game will let you get away with all four off without giving you a penalty. This will be an issue in D2-5 and I'm sure both races in D1 will be reviewed for corner-cutting, just as a matter of course.

I feel like I'm missing something with the Elise, I'm only getting 2.06.0's, idk where I'm losing six seconds worth of time...

You're definitely not losing 6 seconds. The best times last week were in the high 2:03/low 2:04 range.

But what I've found in the Elise, which has helped gain me a couple seconds, is that you really have to be aggressive on corner entry. It's not how I would drive most other cars, because in most cars that kind of driving ends up actually hurting your times. But the Elise is an exception and you are rewarded for braking late (if you can make it stick).

I feel like I'm missing something with the Elise, I'm only getting 2.06.0's, idk where I'm losing six seconds worth of time...

You're definitely not losing 6 seconds. The best times last week were in the high 2:03/low 2:04 range.

But what I've found in the Elise, which has helped gain me a couple seconds, is that you really have to be aggressive on corner entry. It's not how I would drive most other cars, because in most cars that kind of driving ends up actually hurting your times. But the Elise is an exception and you are rewarded for braking late (if you can make it stick).

Indeed. You can brake and turn-in later that you think you can with this car. And there are only 6 corners that even require braking at all thanks to those super-sticky shoes.

The Pit Board

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.
Anatole France

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
George Bernard Shaw

* * * * * * * * * * *[/CENTER]

Race Clean, Race Hard, Race S.N.A.I.L.

"Three blind men were asked to describe an elephant. The first went to a leg - and described it as a tree. The second went to an ear - and described it ............. " You get the idea?

Only when we "see the Elephant" will we be able to describe It and the Process of Change.

Just my 1.5 cents worth (having to cut back because of Obamacare, ya know).

Nice write up Exxo! 👍:bowdown:

My Elephant looks like a Tiger! And following Exxo's inquiry, I volunteer to be in the GT6 planning committee sort of speak. I rather see SNAIL planning ahead of time than doing things on the fly which usually does not yield good results.

I have the game pre-order since the early days that came available and I am excited that the new date is Dec 6 as opposed of Dec 31; this give us the ability to run some mid-week series during December for testing purposes based on some of the events that we have ran successfully (PP Cap, Open Wheel, Escargot, etc). Perhaps even a Sunday for those that may not travel during the Holidays.

November/December time frame is usually a 'slow' period for me at work, so it should give me more free time for SNAIL and testing.

I would be always interested in doing testing events at Nurb Nord and revive Weaver's one make series. 👍

Any thoughts?

P.S. My horse is drunk!

Finally was able to do reviews. Sorry for the delay, Stewards.

I haven't yet found the time to finish restoring my data to the new PS3 I had to get after my YLOD last week, so I won't get to these. My apologies. I should be back to normal sometime next week though.

Thanks for the good discussion on our upcoming GT6 transition, guys. Definitely lots to think about while we still having lots to wonder about at the same time. It's always a challenge to figure something out when we don't even know what we don't know. :scared:

That being said, I don't think the biggest challenge will be what GT6 has or doesn't have to make things easier or more difficult to run the league. I think the biggest challenge will be getting everyone on board with when we "flip the switch". I said here that it seems appropriate to transition to GT6 on January 5th, 2014. However, I also see that as a worst case scenario as well.

What I mean by that is, what if 90% of us have GT6 withing a few days of launch? Would everyone be wiling to play GT5 for another month (at least on Sunday nights) while we wait for the remaining 10% to buy GT6 - if they buy GT6. I would hate a slow (i.e. one month) adoption of the new game to work against us in terms of sustaining membership or even in recruiting new members. However, we have to have realistic expectations as to how long it'll take all current Snails to acquire the new game.

Perhaps we should take monthly polls or something to gauge the anticipated "critical mass" that kcheeb referred to a whiile back? Let's start with an informal poll first. Please state whether you intend to have GT6 within days of its launch (December 6th) or if you don't anticipate having it until Christmas of later (or if you don't plan on getting it at all :nervous:)

I will have it on launch day. A lot of how fast we can transition over will be predicated upon the online features of the new game and how easy or difficult it is to earn credits, buy cars, distribute cars, and the like. There are so many unknowns at this point that a loose goal is probably all we could come up with right now. Once more details are out there, a hard transition goal can be set.

Latest Posts

Back