• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: Mitsubishi Evo X Suggested by T-Squared :.

mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x.jpg

Specs:

Base Price: $33,590
Drivetrain: All Wheel Drive
Curb Weight (lbs): 3517
Horsepower: 291 @ 6500
Torque (lb-ft): 300 @ 4000
Wheelbase (in.): 104.3
Length (in.): 177.0
Width (in.): 71.3
Height (in.): 58.3

Poll is open for five days.

Last edited:
I'd say cool, I don't love it but I think it's a pretty neat car. I love the styling on it too.

Very cool. Considering the regular Lancer has no business looking that sporty and aggressive, it should mean the actual sporty and aggressive one is that much more BA.

👍 in my books!

Cool, definitely. It is a porker, and it can't outrun a Station Wagon (STi) outright, but it's tech and looks makes it a GT-R for those of us who can't afford one. yet.

Heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy and not particularly fast. You're paying for tech for the sake of tech and the older cars were apparently quicker along most roads.

Uncool.

Seriously uncool. It's great if you're between 16 and 20.

Is a Lancer with a huge wing cool? If you're in high school, it may be. It's a great car, but it's not cool at all.

(I would totally drive one.)

Sub-zero. It's heavy, it's too full of tech, and it's running a little four banger.
On the other hand, the technology in it is there to enhance the driving experience, and they got 300 HP out of, I don't know, a 2.5? It's an awesome car. Given the money, I'd buy one in a heart beat.

I'm not an Import fan necessarily, but I cant hate this, or any of the other EVO Lancers. I voted it cool because that's what it is. I'd love to slay some dirt with this car.

Heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy and not particularly fast. You're paying for tech for the sake of tech and the older cars were apparently quicker along most roads.

Uncool.

...and much MUCH better looking to boot. Although I realize I'm in the minority opinion on this, I think the Evo VIII/IX are many many times better looking, as well as lighter, simpler, and quicker.

The Evo X took the Evo line from something I would love to have to something I don't look twice at. Especially since you can't tell an actual Evo X from the dress-up version of the regular Lancer without detailed analysis now.

The loss of cool between the two generations is astounding.

...and much MUCH better looking to boot. Although I realize I'm in the minority opinion on this, I think the Evo VIII/IX are many many times better looking, as well as lighter, simpler, and quicker.

x a lot. It's still cool because it's a really fast midsize sedan, but it's nothing compared to the VIII/IX.

I never liked the total aftermarket feel of either the 8 or the 9. The designers just tinkered around with little fog lights and venting. The 7, on the other hand. I thought the rally soul of the Evolution series was lost after the 7.

Uncool. Great specs, looks aggressive, but it's so aggressive you look like a jerk by driving one. I loved it when Evo's and STi's were fire breathing family sedans, now they're overstyled for the sake of the young driver market.

Note: I tried to be unbiased, but I'm on the Subaru side of the STi/Evo debate :) Although less so now that the STi is hatchback only.

Although I realize I'm in the minority opinion on this, I think the Evo VIII/IX are many many times better looking, as well as lighter, simpler, and quicker.

I couldn't agree more, the old evos were way cooler in every way I think. Evos V - IX are cars I'd want, this new one just doesn't grab me. It's the same story with Subaru for me to. I don't care how fast the new hatch is, I don't like it. However, I think the X is still cool, just, unlike the Subaru which has become uncool to me now unless its a rally prepped version like Ken Blocks, but that can't really count.

Uncool. Great specs, looks aggressive, but it's so aggressive you look like a jerk by driving one.

I don't know if I would say great specs. It's fairly heavy, and relatively low powered for a car it's weight.

But with specs aside, I agree with you. The car is trying so hard to look agressive, that it's simply uncool. My opinion: seriously uncool.

I don't know if I would say great specs. It's fairly heavy, and relatively low powered for a car it's weight.

But with specs aside, I agree with you. The car is trying so hard to look agressive, that it's simply uncool. My opinion: seriously uncool.

Relatively low-powered compared to what? Consider that it's a tween-sizer now, about as big as the original VR-4 Galant, and has some 300 ponies and does 0-60 mph in a few ticks over 5 seconds, I wouldn't consider it under-powered.

Sure, it isn't as hardcore or as spectacularly capable as some of the previous EVOs... but the thing is, Mitsubishi is taking the Evo mainstream, while the mainstream is starting to go gaga over horsepower. It's not the Evo's fault... they're staying true to the same formula that has served a dozen generations of Mitsubishi rally specials... two liter engine, all-wheel drive (well... the first Lancer rally car was rear-wheel.. but everything else was AWD)... and a pedestrian body-shell.

Sure... by not going for the extra 0.5 liters of displacement, like Subaru has, they're falling behind on the speed front, but that's nothing a little tuning can't fix.

It's only "Cool" for me, because it's not quite as hardcore as previous Evos. The V and VI rate as Subzero for me... the VII, I'm undecided on... the VIII and IX are merely "Cool"... This one, I rate higher, but not quite as high as the V and VI.

Seriously uncool.

The V & VI were great cars for their time, but the Impreza/Evo thing is sooo old now.

Ugly, heavy - if you're over 25 you look like a cock driving one, if you're under 25 you look like a chav who's stole it.

Uncool.

Lancer Evo's have always been too compromised to actually be a useable everyday family 4 door, they often have ridiculously low gearing making them unpleasant for motorway driving. Mitsubishi has tried to remedy that by making the Evo X slightly more civilized but in turn lost the essence of what made the previous generations iconic. It also no longer has the Rally pedigree it once had. Plenty of manufacturers now make hard-core 300bhp 4WD family saloons, the Evo X is just one of the many now.

Uncool. I like the way they look, but both Evos and Imprezas are now pretty short on the rallying link and long on the "driven like an absolute [insert synonym for female genitalia here]" factor.

Relatively low-powered compared to what?

To cars that have similar looks, and aren't "all bark, and no bite".

If you are going to have a car with those looks, make it a very fast one at least. :indiff:

To cars that have similar looks, and aren't "all bark, and no bite".

If you are going to have a car with those looks, make it a very fast one at least. :indiff:

0-60 mph in near five seconds flat is slow?

I'm still trying to figure out what cars are around the same price... have the same visual drama and the same acceleration performance...

The worst you can say about the Evo X is that it's nowhere near as hardcore as previous Evos... and the interior is still ludicrously bad for such an expensive car... but at the price point, it still offers similar acceleration performance compared to two-door V8 and V6 sportscars at the same price or higher, with handling that can hang with the best of them.

What other four door that costs less than $40-$50k can do that?

A lot of people argue that Mitsubishi has lost the plot. The truth is... the ponycars and sportscars are catching up... finally. But the Evo still offers a unique blend of four-door performance and practicality (despite the stiff-legged ride) and manages to eke a lot of performance out of a simple 2 cylinder engine.

The one problem with the current STi and EVO is model bloat. Like the rest of the cars on the road, they've gotten bigger and heavier... but due to marketing reasons and the Japanese "power cap", they've kept them roughly around 270-300 hp (though they now sell the "300" hp versions in Japan)... if they were to follow the rest of the market up and increase their power by the 50-100hp that other performance cars have gained over the last three years, they'd be well clear of the mix. Just look at the UK-specific FQ 330 and FQ 400... both of which can do the business in under 5 seconds.

Uncool

I don't like this generation of Lancers, that's the easy way of saying it. Of course, it not being an STi, it gives it a few extra bonus points. But only a few.

Someone said it best otherwise... The car is for chavs.

Relatively low-powered compared to what? Consider that it's a tween-sizer now, about as big as the original VR-4 Galant

I actually had to look the dimensions up, because the X looks like a MUCH bigger car than the E38/39a Galants. It's about the same length, but a tad taller and about 4 inches wider. But man it looks bloated though (it does weigh up to 240 kg more than a VI to be fair).

My main issue with the X is the same as yours I think, it's just getting too big. And too civilised. It's got all the right attributes, in terms of handling/performance etc., but it just isn't the raw fun machine an older one is. I'm sure this is good for Joe Businessman, but dammit I don't want these "compliant ride" and "quiet interior" things in my rally rep!

Uncool. Too fiddly, uncomfortable and it just doesn't impress me much. Plus the required service needed is just way too costly. I'll take an Evo V thanks.

Well... you can console yourself with the low-rent plastic and road noise... :lol:

Back