GTP Cool Wall: EVO X. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 53 comments

Evo X

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've myself always liked the Evo VIs.
I say, make a smaller, much smaller Evo as the XI, but keep the general looks. Drag it down to close to 3000 LBs, and keep the power. Then everyone will think it's sub-zero.

I voted uncool. It really is not a driver's or enthusiast's car. The car is higher regarded the further down you go in the knowledge chain. The Evo has always been the POS of the 280ps class and it is unlikely that it will ever shake that, since it is, in essence, a Lancer. The same thing goes for the Impreza.

When I see one I cannot assume its driver is skilled or has good taste. Those are deal killers and huge minus points for any car.

I voted uncool. It really is not a driver's or enthusiast's car. The car is higher regarded the further down you go in the knowledge chain. The Evo has always been the POS of the 280ps class and it is unlikely that it will ever shake that, since it is, in essence, a Lancer. The same thing goes for the Impreza.

When I see one I cannot assume its driver is skilled or has good taste. Those are deal killers and huge minus points for any car.

Oh... really.... so Tommi Makinnen, Colin McRae and Petter Solberg are total dunces, then, eh?

So what's a "good" 300 hp car? And where can I get one that's faster than an Evo or Scooby on track for the same money?

if you know the right people, it can be tuned with just an intake and exhaust to gain 100hp. so...
400hp, 1g on the skidpad(stock), and the stupid wing can be removed.

not bad I say for this price range. I also think it looks menacing.

Un-cool, not seriously un-cool, just un-cool. For the same reason as many have stated so far, it doesn't seem to live up to it's heritage, and though I like the front of it the rest of the cars styling is nothing special.

Capable, and I have a soft spot for Evo's, but the X is not the Evo I'd buy.

Seeing how I have no skill or taste, care to enlighten me on exactly what car I should have bought in the 280 ps class for the same money (other than the apparently also POS Sti)? What car would someone higher up the knowledge chain, presumably someone such as yourself, buy?

Also how exactly does one rise to the higer rungs of this knowledge chain?

Whenever I see an Evo X I just think "AAAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGSTTTTTT" even though in the UK it's most definetley not driven by teenagers.

Stereotype, most likely.

A car that can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, top 150mph, get over 25mpg, and can hold your kids in the back, your gym bag in the trunk, and it has 6 soft airbags to plant your face in when you crash. But enough about the Lotus Evora, lets talk about this. It's cool, because it's a sedan that can put in lap times within supercar range, isn't that cool already? Also, it has good fuel consumption, and a boot that can fit someone in it, if you ever need to hide a dead body. And, it's japanese, so maintenance, insurance and repairs aren't too much. Sub Zero? Yes it is.

Whenever I see an Evo X I just think "AAAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGSTTTTTT" even though in the UK it's most definetley not driven by teenagers.

Stereotype, most likely.

Insurance on Evo's in the UK is ridiculous, if you are a teenager with an Evo, you have rich parents or are a criminal, apologies if that tars any GTP users with the wrong brush.

COOL YO!

DSC_0347.jpg

Looks OK. Now take about a foot off the front and stick it on the back, so it doesn't look like you slammed on the brakes so hard that the entire chassis slid forward on the wheels.

That's that transverse Front-engine layout dictating that, there. Unless Mitsubishi wanted to make the standard model all-wheel drive for all, I doubt that'd change.

Also, it has good fuel consumption, and a boot that can fit someone in it, if you ever need to hide a dead body. And, it's japanese, so maintenance, insurance and repairs aren't too much. Sub Zero? Yes it is.
Addmittadly the FQ-400 is the fastest/most extreme version, but it's ecomonmy is one of the worst on the TopGear track. It's servicing schedule is rediculously frequent, insurance is sky high and I doubt repairs are relatively cheap either.

That's that transverse Front-engine layout dictating that, there. Unless Mitsubishi wanted to make the standard model all-wheel drive for all, I doubt that'd change.

The previous Evo didn't have such a stupidly huge front overhang, nor such a little rear overhang.

You're joking, right? Insurance and repairs "not much" on an Evo?...

:lol: Maybe compared to a Lamborghini Gallardo? :lol:

Seriously uncool. Too many doors and lacks in power department.

I'm still waiting for someone to point me at a more powerful four-door with better track performance at the same price. I've only been asking the same question for the past three pages... :dopey:

The previous Evo didn't have such a stupidly huge front overhang, nor such a little rear overhang.

Blame pedestrian crash regulations. Subarus and Audis have the same problem... And it's only going to get worse in the future. One wonders if other manufacturers will start using the solution Toyota used with the iQ... place the engine behind the transmission... allowing less front overhang.

I'm still waiting for someone to point me at a more powerful four-door with better track performance at the same price. I've only been asking the same question for the past three pages... :dopey:

You have to remember though that not everyone judges car on track performance and prices. That's my case. If I had to choose a sedan, however, I would stick to a Lotus Omega/Carlton. I know it's an absurd comparison, but it's a car I would vote sub-zero for.

Wasn't like that at the beginning of this, though? I remember we voted cars based solely on looks.

A cool car should be able to go anywhere and look...right. You can't go to an interview, or a on a date with a girl with class in an Evo.

Doesn't matter... if you base it on looks, that's completely subjective, and fine.

But if you say, like others here, that it underperforms for the amount of power it has... or that there are better cars with the same power... then you have to bacck up your claim.

Also needing proof is the claim that an Evo is cheap to repair and insure... :lol: ...that's a funny one...

A cool car should be able to go anywhere and look...right. You can't go to an interview, or a on a date with a girl with class in an Evo.

You can't go on a date in a Caterham... but that one's definitely subzero... :lol:

Back