• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1998 Porsche 911 993 GT2 suggested by TVC :.

Porsche_993_GT2.jpg

Specs:
* Configuration Air Cooled Twin Turbo Flat 6
* Transmission 6-speed manual
* Valvetrain SOHC 2 valves / cylinder
* Displacement 3600 cc / 219.7 cu in
* Power 335.6 kW (456 PS; 450 hp) @ 6000 rpm
* Torque 585.71 Nm / 435 ft·lbf @ 3500 rpm
* Bhp / Liter 125.0 bhp (93.2 kW; 126.7 PS) per litre
* Bore 99.1 mm (3.9 in)
* Stroke 76.2 mm (3.0 in)
* Weight 1,295 kg (2,855 lb)
* Length 4,245 mm (167.1 in)
* Width 1,855 mm (73.0 in)
* Height 1,270 mm (50.0 in)
* Wheelbase 2,272 mm (89.4 in)
* Front Track 1,475 mm (58.1 in)
* Rear Track 1,550 mm (61.0 in)
* Top Speed 301 km/h (187 mph)
* 0 - 60 mph 3.9
* quarter mile 12.1 at 117mph​

Last edited:
Sub Zero. While its a general rule of thumb that Porsches are for old mid-life crisis people, the GT2 is too hard and fast for them, so it is owned by people that love cars. Because they drive a 911, they care about driving experience more than speed, so owners are likely to be enthusiatic, open friendly people with lots of money - cool people.

Lastly, c'monnnnn. Wide body kit - oh and those intakes on the spoiler :drool:. The noise is orgasmic.

Plus it's a 993 - the last of the air cooled 911s.

Dude. What's not to love? I've seen these things driven in anger. And I don't give a crap what Clarkson says.

Subzero.

Very cool car, what's not to like? This is way more car than most people need to begin with. This car just looks great and goes like hell.

I only voted cool because most of the time I see these cars just going to car shows or cruises...never actually going out and being tracked like they were meant to.

Oddly, only yesterday did i pass one of these parked outside Netto (about 50 yards further down the road from this picture of the grotty street in question) on my way to work. It was the same silvery-blue as the one above. Didn't have a camera on me and my phone was charging after just dying on me moments before, so i couldn't get a picture of it. I thought it was just a kitted 993 at first, but as i slowly passed it i noticed the 911 GT badge on the tail. Very odd place to see such exotica.

Anyway, any homologation special is going to be sub-zero in my book.

The last true 911 Turbo. Absolutely ruthless.

That, and Hankook/JIC Magic has built the world's only professional Rear-engine Rear-drive Drift Car out of one. :3

Icebox.

Yup, I went for un-cool..

I'm not saying it's not a capable machine, but that in itself does not outweigh the standard drawbacks of the 911 (and their drivers!), at least for me any way.

the 959 on the other hand...

What draw backs? The GT2 is a race car for the road, and a very capable one at that.

Uber cool.

One of THE best 911's ever built as reflected by their current market valuation... you'll need the thick end of £200k to get in a half decent 993 GT2.

IMO, the only thing cooler than this from the 993 generation is the RSR... a road legal 993 Cup car (1,040kg, 390bhp).

Last edited:
What draw backs? The GT2 is a race car for the road, and a very capable one at that.

Oh man, I just typed out like a page long answer to that, then accidentally closed the wrong tab when browsing for info on the Porsches I actually do like... man, can't be arsed to type that again..

Long story short,

from an Automotive point of view Porshces have the only range thats more boringly predictable than Audi.

'75 911 Turbo
'87 959
'04 911 GT2

.. I couldn't care if porsche never released any other cars than these, and I have a rampant hatred for the Cockster and the Gayman.

I do like some Porsche tuner stuff though, the 9ff GT9R, Gemballa GTR650 Avalanche and Mirage, and RUF CTR3 are all pretty cool.

I treat this series of voting purely as impulsive attraction, so I voted cool. Realistically, it's just too damn much car for almost anyone. It's tail happy and will kill you if you're not in it 110%.

But come on, just look at it. It is everything that it was meant to be. If I saw one parked up somewhere, I'd be all over it, who cares that it is a lethal weapon meant to be handled by experts.

from an Automotive point of view Porshces have the only range thats more boringly predictable than Audi.

'75 911 Turbo
'87 959
'04 911 GT2

.. I couldn't care if porsche never released any other cars than these, and I have a rampant hatred for the Cockster and the Gayman.

I do like some Porsche tuner stuff though, the 9ff GT9R, Gemballa GTR650 Avalanche and Mirage, and RUF CTR3 are all pretty cool.

I really don't understand how anyone can dismiss trully iconic cars like the '73 911 RS/RSR, 964RS, 993RS/RSR, 996 GT3 (mk1 & 2), 996 RS, 997 GT3/GT3RS/GT2, yet like the chaved up rubbish that Gemballa and Avalanche churn out (I excuse Ruf as they produced the only acceptable 'tuner' 911... the Yellowbird).

And you can dismiss the Boxster and the Caymen, but besides each being widely recognised as the best cars in their particular class, they have enabled Porsche to continue to produce the most usable and reliable Supercar on the market and run an extremely successful motorsports program.

Oh, and 993GT2 > 959 any day of the week.

I really don't understand how anyone can dismiss trully iconic cars like the '73 911 RS/RSR, 964RS, 993RS/RSR, 996 GT3 (mk1 & 2), 996 RS, 997 GT3/GT3RS/GT2, yet like the chaved up rubbish that Gemballa and Avalanche churn out (I excuse Ruf as they produced the only acceptable 'tuner' 911... the Yellowbird).

And you can dismiss the Boxster and the Caymen, but besides each being widely recognised as the best cars in their particular class, they have enabled Porsche to continue to produce the most usable and reliable Supercar on the market and run an extremely successful motorsports program.

Oh, and 993GT2 > 959 any day of the week.

what about the Porsche 911 GT3 Carrera 4 Turbo Targa RS SR R? oh wait, thats the 999 model, I meant the 99∞ GT2 Turbo S Cup Sport RS Carrera..... my point is, to a non-porsche enthusiast, it's just a mass of numbers that all point to pretty much the same car, I am not a porsche enthusiast, so all I see is them doing the SAME thing, YEAR after YEAR after DECADE after DECADE, and when I'm dead an gone, my kids are still going to be looking at a car that looks like a squashed and stretched VW Beetle, it'll still be called a 911. I'm also not dismissing their motorsport heritage either, you can't argue with their LeMans cars, and I must have seen a hundred Porsche Cup races (support events for lots of other motorsport), and I recentley had a nose around the Spyder LMP2 car at the Porsche centre at Silverstone.

Why is the Yellowbird not chaved up rubbish and the others are? I think maybe I can like the tuner cars more because they are trying to expand the envelope a little, rather than just turning out the same thing aaaaaaaallllllll the time. I'm not going to bother defending those choices much, they are unique, they are interesting, they are capable....? What else is it that the Yellow Bird has?

There are plenty of examples of reviews where it has come down to personal preference as to whether or not the Caymen and Boxster are the best in class, I'd certainly give you "one of the best choices in class", the main thing I dislike about them (other than the Boxster being butt ugly) is that they were an opportunity for Porsche to do something a little different, and they FAILED, they're just baby 911's, and the Panamera is just a stretched 911, and even the Cayenne looks like a 911 on steroidal stilts! When are they going to be brave enough to do something a little different?

When was the last time saw a concept car from Porsche, genuine question, I can't really think of any... maybe that's because Porsche have no vision, they only look at what they have infront of them and polish it up a little each generation.

.. so to the point of thread, are we to define "Cool" as a car thats great for tooling round a track, or as a car that is just plain desirable, and makes you want it, and want to be seen in it? I don't much like porsches, I'm not saying they're not good cars, but in sincerity, even if I was a billionaire there would still be 100 other cars on my list before I bought a Porsche.. I can respect what they are, but that doesn't mean I like them, and when I see one I simply don't 'want' one, and I certainly hold no specific regard for the owner (specifically, I don't think they are 'cool').

BTW:
"993 GT2 is greater than 959 any day of the week" AND ?... if this cool wall topic were about the 959 I'd have voted über-cool... I see a 959 (actually did once too :) ) and I think it's cool.. I see a 993 GT2 (assuming I can tell it from any other 911) I think... " ", and carry on walking.

All in my humble opinion of course.

during the course of this post I've consumed 2½ cans of Lager and listened to the whole of "momentary lapse of reason"

There are plenty of examples of reviews where it has come down to personal preference as to whether or not the Caymen and Boxster are the best in class, I'd certainly give you "one of the best choices in class", the main thing I dislike about them (other than the Boxster being butt ugly) is that they were an opportunity for Porsche to do something a little different, and they FAILED, they're just baby 911's, and the Panamera is just a stretched 911, and even the Cayenne looks like a 911 on steroidal stilts! When are they going to be brave enough to do something a little different?

They have done something different though. They've made a mid-engined sports car, which turned out to be the best in it's class (Boxter). Then they made a 4x4, which turned out to be supremely capable both on and off-road (Cayenne). Then, they made the Cayman, which is one of the best-handling cars money can buy (according to just about every motoring publication on the planet), and now they've made a fantastic grand tourer (Panamera). Sure, the Cayenne and the Panamera aren't particularly pretty, but you can hardly accuse them of being the same thing that Porsche have always done. When did Porsche make a 4x4 or a luxury saloon in their past?

They have a corporate face - live with it. Most manufacturers do now, unless this had escaped your attention. BMWs have looked more or less the same at the front for the best part of thirty-odd years, essentially. A kidney grille and four clearly-defined headlamps, in most of their models. Or Alfa Romeo - thin lights and a heart-shaped grille. Or Mercedes. Or Audi. Or Ford. Or numerous others. All produce cars with a very strong family resemblance. I'm not sure how Porsche doing it is any different...

And on another note, calling something a "baby 911" is hardly a put-down. It's like saying a pretty girl in the street looks like a young Marilyn Monroe.

I sort of understand what you're saying about the complexity of the range for a non-enthusiast, I guess if you don't like the styling of one, you're pretty much going to dislike them all... and of course you're more than entitled not to like Porsche as a range :)

And therein lies the issue I think... All Porsches have a family look as that's what works for the brand. I'm not a fan of the Cayenne and I'd be buying a Quatroporte before I looked at a Panamera, but the boxster and Caymen are both good looking cars IMO. My brother in law has a Caymen S in metallic grey on 19" classics, and it looks fabulous. Plus it drives really, really well... feels very different to the 911, but it's fast and handles superbly.

Why pick the Yellowbird out? It's it purity of purpose... For starters, it uses the standard narrow body and has minimal body work changes vs the standard model. It doesn't have stupidly big wheels or slammed suspension and it did 211mph in the hands of Car & Driver. In addition, there's a video called Fazination... a guy called Stephan Rosser (sp?) driving a Yellowbird round the 'Ring... and it's one of the most amazing pieces of driving I've ever seen... you'd never see a Gemballa or an Avalanche being driven like that.

Car's like the Gemballa and Avalanche are all about show and stats... they have huge power outputs and fabulous on paper performance stats. But they are ruined by crass bodykits, outragous interior colour schemes, oversized & over styled wheels and stupidly low suspension that means they aren't as good as a basic Carrera round bends (when Evo tested a Gemballa the tyres rubbed on the arches as soon as the suspension was loaded up)... You can easily match the power stats by taking your Turbo to DMM and getting a decent exhaust... and you'll still be driving something classy.

All in my opinion too ;)

Sub-Zero

I can't think of a single drawback for this car. It came out of arguably the best generation of 911s, it performs better than most supercars made available today, otherwise an instant-classic from my (secret) favorite brand.

They have a corporate face - live with it. Most manufacturers do now, unless this had escaped your attention. BMWs have looked more or less the same at the front for the best part of thirty-odd years, essentially. A kidney grille and four clearly-defined headlamps, in most of their models

And on another note, calling something a "baby 911" is hardly a put-down. It's like saying a pretty girl in the street looks like a young Marilyn Monroe.

Family resemblance is one thing, an F01 7 series bearing a resemblance to and E32 7 series is like noticing similarities between Grandmother and Grand Daughter... what the 911 is the mum that goes in for plastic surgery every year and just get things tightened.

The Baby 911 thing isn't a so much a "poor relation" put-down, it's more a "oh 🤬, we've forgotten how to design a car that doesn't lool like a frog" put down...

I guess I just want more variety, Ferrari F430 to Ferrari 599 to Ferrari Enzo... kind if variety, not Porsche 997 911 to Porsche 997 911 GT2 to Porsche 997 911 GT3 kind of variety.

Also, FWIW... (5th Gear, Cayman vs BMW 1 series)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3comQxPNWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeahQyxfvxY

Last edited by a moderator:
they're just baby 911's, and the Panamera is just a stretched 911, and even the Cayenne looks like a 911 on steroidal stilts! When are they going to be brave enough to do something a little different?
I've always found this attitude interesting when, say, every Aston made since 1993, gets a free pass. How mind bogglingly drunk would one have to be to get a Cayenne and Boxster confused? The share some front end features, sure, but then again one is a 5000 pound SUV and one is a 2 seat convertible. They really look nothing alike.

Last edited:
SUBZERO

To see these things pounding around on a real track like like Mid-Ohio,it really makes you appreciate them.

Back