GTP Cool Wall: 1998 Porsche 911 (993) GT2. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 46 comments

1998 Porsche 911 993 GT2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last true Porsche - sub zero.

How on earth is it the 'last true Porsche'?

That's like saying the Diablo was the last true Lambo, or the Model T was the last true Ford... utter rubbish.

Sorry, but that's just complete and utter rubbish.

'Proper Porsches are aircooled' is just a cliche... If Porsche thought aircooled was more effective/more efficient than water cooled, they wouldn't have made the change... I think they might know better what works best for their cars than the rest of us, afterall, they have a pretty successful history in building road cars and race cars.

It's the same sort of thing as people used to say about the 924/944/968, or say currently about the Boxster or a Caymen... and it's a load of bollox.

It's spouted by people who, for the most part, have never even driven a Porsche never mind owned one.

Family resemblance is one thing, an F01 7 series bearing a resemblance to and E32 7 series is like noticing similarities between Grandmother and Grand Daughter... what the 911 is the mum that goes in for plastic surgery every year and just get things tightened.

The Baby 911 thing isn't a so much a "poor relation" put-down, it's more a "oh 🤬, we've forgotten how to design a car that doesn't lool like a frog" put down...

I guess I just want more variety, Ferrari F430 to Ferrari 599 to Ferrari Enzo... kind if variety, not Porsche 997 911 to Porsche 997 911 GT2 to Porsche 997 911 GT3 kind of variety.

Also, FWIW... (5th Gear, Cayman vs BMW 1 series)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3comQxPNWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeahQyxfvxY

The F430 and 599 are two different cars. The GT2 and GT3 are both based off the same car. It's basically like the F430 and F430 Scuderia if you want to compare them to Ferrari.

They should have used the Cayman S instead of the normal one.

There are plenty of examples of reviews where it has come down to personal preference as to whether or not the Caymen and Boxster are the best in class, I'd certainly give you "one of the best choices in class", the main thing I dislike about them (other than the Boxster being butt ugly) is that they were an opportunity for Porsche to do something a little different, and they FAILED, they're just baby 911's, and the Panamera is just a stretched 911, and even the Cayenne looks like a 911 on steroidal stilts! When are they going to be brave enough to do something a little different?

Most car companies do that. All the cars BMW makes have a very similar design and the same goes for Lamborghini, Ferrari, and almost every other car company. That is kind of the point though. A company creates a look and slowly evolves it so everyone will know what it is.

When was the last time saw a concept car from Porsche, genuine question, I can't really think of any... maybe that's because Porsche have no vision, they only look at what they have infront of them and polish it up a little each generation.

They have a lot of concepts but they generally do not show them to the public.

Last edited:
Sub-zero. Needs no explanation. It's the last Porsche to do absolutely everything wrong. Which is why it's so right... :D

Last true Porsche - sub zero.

Whilst I agree with you that the car is cool, the "last true Porsche" sentiment is exactly the kind of cretinous drivel that I hate when people talk about Porsches. Apparently Stotty isn't too keen on it either, and I can completely understand why.

I'm sorry, but to make this very, very clear to anyone who's a little blurry on the whole thing - if Porsche have seen fit to put their badge on the nose of the car, then it is a Porsche. This includes the 914, this includes the 924 (even the one with the 2.0 Audi engine), this includes the Boxter and Cayman, and this includes the Cayenne and Panamera. And yes, it includes any of the aforementioned models with water cooling.

Hell, the Cayenne is a better sports car than most manufacturers' actual sports cars...

A 993 Porsche thats even faster than a 911 Turbo? Now can that NOT be Subzero?

993 = awsome
911 = awsome
GT2 = awsome

awsome x 3 = subzero

I did some maths and came to that conclusion.

By an overwhelming majority the 1998 Porsche 911 993 GT2 has been deemed Sub-Zero.

Back