Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: Holden Monaro suggested by mad94d :.

Holden-monarocv8-03.jpg

Specs:
http://media.gm.com/aus/holden/en/product_services/large/monaro/CASPFE0505_MONSPEC.pdf

===

Every time Australian cars are brought up there emotions, national pride, etc. all get swept up in it and it turns into a huge flame fest. I will shut this thread down if it gets like that.

Last edited:
I voted uncool. We got this car as a GTO in the states and it never really wow'ed me in the slightest. Ya it was fast in a straight line, but that was about it. They didn't corner to terribly well, they were uncomfortable and based on the people who owned GTO's, they were pretty unreliable.

I'm not really a fan of the reborn muscle car either, V8's and RWD with poor cornering don't really do it for me. I'd rather have a turbocharged 4 cylinder with superb handling any day of the week.

Also the fan base sort of ruins the car for me, the same with pretty much all Australian car. If you mention anything negative about it you are called every name under the sun. I'm not saying all Holden fans are like this, it just my experience with a lot of them. I have a buddy from Australia who goes to school in the states and he is a big Holden fan. Although he doesn't jump down my throat when I say I don't like them. He calls me some odd Australian word and laughs.

This is not a dig at any member here, so please don't take it like one. I'm just pointing out an observation.

Last edited:
I actually quite like the car, but I dont think theres any way I could ever refer to it as cool. Its the sort of car I'd love to have a day with messing about on a track, but would never consider actually owning.

For a start outside of Auz you'd forever have to be explaining whats special about it as looks wise its rather dull, and very 1990s.

Seriously Uncool.

I'm kind of with Joey here in that the fanbase ruins it a bit for me. I mean, It's not ALWAYS like this, but every now and then, it gets to the point of...

"There's two ways of doing things, the Holden way, or the wrong way. It's a Holden and..."
"DON'T WE KNOW IT!"

Last edited:
I voted sub-zero of course.:) My mum has a Monaro, so I get driven around in it everyday. It is a great car, BUT... it sounds like a V6, the interior is very much like that of a Commodore, your head touches the roof because the seating position isn't low enough. Some things about the Monaro could've been better, but the shape is brilliant.
(we have a 2002 Holden Monaro CV8)
I didn't know I suggested this, but my memory is useless.:dopey: Thanks for using it!

I voted cool - not for the car, but the people who drive them are usually cool. The car's alright, but it could do with some more handling.

(No Mad, I'm not trying to crack on to your mum :lol:)

My bro has one, and as much **** as I give him for it (stock exhaust, stock suspension, automatic), it is pretty darn cool. So I voted cool.

Sub-Zero. Owned a previous model and have an ifinity with the Monaro.
Having said that, I have never driven, or been driven in one, so my comments and voting, lie with looks and sentimental values.

Sub-Z. A grand coupe alternative the Commodore, with a clean yet sophisticated and sporty design and load of power from the 6 or 8 cylinder powerplants respectively. 2-door sports coupes are rare in the Holden lineup, and the Monaro's heritage means that it is guaranteed to be a genuine collector's car in due time (the last batch known as the CV8-Z, especially, already are). Best of all, it is, in Australia, a superb all-rounded power-house sports car with the looks, credibility and good-value to match.

Last edited:
Seriously uncool. It looks like a bubble squeezed through someone's butt.

Go with a Commodore and never look back.

In the UK, the "Vauxhall Monaro" was a bit of a performance bargain, our roads are not as well populated with big V8 RWD coupes, and when they are, they are BMW's, Merc's etc... this came in massively cheaper IIRC, and still offered all the right thrills, altough it might not handle quite as well I seem to remeber it was still a useful enough tool for blatting round a track.

I'm not a fan of the styling of this particularly, it's not ugly, it's not beautiful, it's just 'meh'.

It was a breath of fresh air for Vauxhall in the UK, and they are still a rarity over here.

All of the above means I'm going for cool.

I voted cool, because I have a soft spot for V8 powered RWD coupes. I also enjoy the looks of it due to the rounded edges and curves, rather than tons of angles. It does make it look a bit bloated, but it has the power to back it up.

I had to vote Sub-Zero. Love these cars and there American counterparts. When I first saw the GTO here in the states I so badly wanted one, they just seem to blend in with other cars on the road, which some may say is bad, I however feel it's a good thing. I do think that the Monaro had some body parts that should have been offered here, but that just makes the Monaro that much cooler for me. Besides, these cars have LS Chevy engines, which are just about my all time favorite engine to have stuffed under any hood, be it a Nissan, Bmw, or Ford. However they are best where they belong, in a Chevy, or in this case a Holden. Six cylinder models would get a lower cool to un-cool rating.

When i see one all i think of is Pontiac, and the crappy brand image they've created for themselves. So i have to vote uncool. It just doesn't wow me.

One of the few pretty good Vauxhalls. Seeing as Vauxhalls are usually very uncool, it deserves some respect for giving their line-up some life.
Not sub-zero but definitely a cool car despite the Vauxhall badges.

Cool

In terms of value-for-money, it was on its A-Game when it came to the States in 2004. Significant updates later on made it even better. But, its life was cut short thanks to GM not wanting to spend money on it anymore.

What holds it back from Sub-Zero? The style. Its a little boring. Not all the bits and pieces were up to snuff either.

Yes, I'd love to have one. A 2004 model in Cosmos Purple. I'd make the engine and style sacrifices just for the color alone.

I love the car. It carries on the muscle car legacy from the 60's and early 70's by putting a V8 in an otherwise everyday sedan. Yeah it's boring to look at but I would imagine a re-badged Tempest or Malibu would be to if your were alive back in the muscle car era. 👍 to the Aussies for making a car that keeps this principal alive unlike Detroit's bloated retro cars.

Uncool. Not at all fussed on them, and if you drive one in the UK you look like a yob, mainly thanks to the Vauxhall badge.

The Commodore is cooler and the Ute version cooler still, but the Monaro isn't.

I've always thought of the Monaro/GTO as a muscle car for grown ups, which is why I've always liked it so much. Maybe even a poor man's CLK55. Sitting inside, its just a nice place to be. Even in the back. Quiet, comfortable, and still able to kick out the tail with a loud thwomp of the Chevrolet V8 if it needs to.

Which reminds me... I should start looking at them again.

I went with cool, cause when rode in one(gtoLS2) with a 7psi supercharger it was pretty sweet, and I like the interior for being spacious. It just says to me, hey Im sporty but please dont make me turn :) So again cool.

Sub-Zero

V-8 ( down a bit on power , 300+ hp would have been real nice ) , rear wheel drive , 5 speed transmission available . This car along with it's American sister ( the GTO ) are good for straight line as others have pointed out , but they do lag a bit in the handling dept. Plenty of engine / suspension upgrades are readily available for these cars to really call them a weekend race warrior.

Nice car Aussies 👍

I voted cool. I know a few people with GTO's and they are nice. Big V8 power, handling isn't the best but decent for that size of car. The LS1/2 engines are pretty good in reliability and fuel economy for the amount of power they have. Styling is a little bland but I kinda like the sleeper look.

Just a cool. A little anonymous in the looks department... but the performance is worth a nod.

Sorry... Holdenites... I'm a Ford man... :dopey:

Cool. How can a V8 RWD car that isn't obnoxious be voted anything but cool? Seriously, possibly one of the only things General Motors makes in any country that is cool.

Back