GTP Cool Wall: Holden Monaro. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 98 comments

Holden Monaro

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, what he said, Kyle. Leo made a mistake, and instead of apologizing, he acted like a total ignorant. 👎

made a mistake? where? :odd: I will apologize if I did a real mistake, like claiming that a pope is a transsexual drag queen in the bars outside vatican during weekends. I merely voiced my opinion and voted accordingly, and that's nothing to apologize for. As someone pointed out, Holdens are almost completely unknown outside Australia, and closest thing the rest of us can compare it to is a Pontiac GTO etc.

Sub-Z. A grand coupe alternative the Commodore, with a clean yet sophisticated and sporty design and load of power from the 6 or 8 cylinder powerplants respectively. 2-door sports coupes are rare in the Holden lineup, and the Monaro's heritage means that it is guaranteed to be a genuine collector's car in due time (the last batch known as the CV8-Z, especially, already are). Best of all, it is, in Australia, a superb all-rounded power-house sports car with the looks, credibility and good-value to match.

I voted cool, just because of this color!👍

Sorry for not posting this in my original post but I think this is a good shot of our Monaro.:)
picture.php

Just to chime in here:

I don't know of the fanbase that Joey speaks of, but ruined by the fanbase is a very valid reason to not like something.

Actually, very many people dislike each of those cars for that very reason.

Anyways, I voted uncool. Yeah, the Monaro handled well, and yeah, when it was a GTO it was a creaming deal. But something always felt off about it. I don't think it was that it wasn't a "true" GTO or even that it was a captive import. Its just, something felt wrong about the whole situation from the first second the car was sold here.

Except we're voting on the Holden Monaro, not the GTO.

made a mistake? where? :odd: I will apologize if I did a real mistake, like claiming that a pope is a transsexual drag queen in the bars outside vatican during weekends. I merely voiced my opinion and voted accordingly, and that's nothing to apologize for. As someone pointed out, Holdens are almost completely unknown outside Australia, and closest thing the rest of us can compare it to is a Pontiac GTO etc.

The closest thing you can compare to is the Vauxhall, since it uses the same grille and bumpers. Your mistake was saying the Monaro was a re-badged GTO and voting accordingly. The Monaro is the original, was designed and built in Australia for an Australian brand/sub-division of GM. It was after it was built and went on sale that Maximum Bob decided it was so awesome Americans had to have it too.

Edit: If what you say is true, it should be sub-zero on the fact alone that outside of Australia only true automotive enthusiasts know what a Monaro or Holden for that matter is.

The closest thing you can compare to is the Vauxhall, since it uses the same grille and bumpers. Your mistake was saying the Monaro was a re-badged GTO and voting accordingly. The Monaro is the original, was designed and built in Australia for an Australian brand/sub-division of GM. It was after it was built and went on sale that Maximum Bob decided it was so awesome Americans had to have it too.

Edit: If what you say is true, it should be sub-zero on the fact alone that outside of Australia only true automotive enthusiasts know what a Monaro or Holden for that matter is.

Loving that "edit", Paulie. 👍 Absolutely true.

Toronado
I don't know of the fanbase that Joey speaks of, but ruined by the fanbase is a very valid reason to not like something.

Problem is that I don't know how something can be ruined by a fanbase, but I will leave it at that, since I know no matter how much I compare my opinions to yours, guys, I won't change mine.

Toronado
Actually, very many people dislike each of those cars for that very reason.

Of course, that's enterely plausible. However, some people may dislike the Monaro for that, but they will like some of the other cars, like the GT-R and the NSX-R, even though they are (or may be) being ruined by their fanbase.

I know it's a muscle car but it visually it doesn't really give that certain flare.

To me muscle cars should either look completely intimidating like the '68 - '74 Dodge Chargers OR complete sleepers like the '87 Buick GNX.

This car doesn't fit in either category and receives an uncool vote from me.

Seriously I kinda like this car... But I voted it uncool because originally, it's a Pontiac GTO...

The car looks and performs good actually, but sorry guys... It's a Vauxhall...

Seriously I kinda like this car... But I voted it uncool because originally, it's a Pontiac GTO...

:banghead: Do you not read any of this thread? The GTO is a RE-BADGED MONARO! Arrrgh, seriously.........

Yeah, Vauxhalls blow. +1

Time to put some sense into it.

I'm voting uncool for two reasons.

1. The people who normally drive them drive them like absolute baboons. If they had some semblance of driving ability then it would be alright, but the usual owner drives it like they're Skaifey and usually put them into poles.

2. The people who normally drive them have an arrogance about them that makes them unbearable to be near. They think they have the best car in the world, no doubt inflated by that stupid "GAME OVER" ad beating Ferrari's & stuff when it first came out, and when they lose in a race, cannot accept the fact their V8 muscle car was just squashed by a Japanese grandpa mobile. ;)

The car itself is a cool car, goes well and is a decent priced car overall, but it's like the old M3 & now Audi problem the European's have...all the Aussie "roosters" find themselves in Monaros.

Fail... I think a ban warning is necessary here. :P

Time to put some sense into it.

I'm voting uncool for two reasons.

1. The people who normally drive them drive them like absolute baboons. If they had some semblance of driving ability then it would be alright, but the usual owner drives it like they're Skaifey and usually put them into poles.

2. The people who normally drive them have an arrogance about them that makes them unbearable to be near. They think they have the best car in the world, no doubt inflated by that stupid "GAME OVER" ad beating Ferrari's & stuff when it first came out, and when they lose in a race, cannot accept the fact their V8 muscle car was just squashed by a Japanese grandpa mobile. ;)

The car itself is a cool car, goes well and is a decent priced car overall, but it's like the old M3 & now Audi problem the European's have...all the Aussie "roosters" find themselves in Monaros.

That's funny, because I find more "roosters" in Japanese cars. There are still lots of hoons everywhere in Australia though.

You put sense into nothing.:P

Last edited:
I never was and I'm not a huge fan of the Monaro, better say any Holden. On the other side, I don't see any reason why not like the car. So I voted Sub-Zero.

some of these australian kids just are upset that we don't like or want their toys, that's all :lol:

They sure are upset we don't want their cars, but what's your aim with such a comment, provoking people who actually like this car? I mean, everyone has their own opinion and has the right having their own opinion. Plus, I don't see any reason for any discussions.

some of these australian kids just are upset that we don't like or want their toys, that's all :lol:

And some of the rest of the people posting in this thread against the Munroe make no sense, whatsoever.

If I hear the words "GTO" or "Vauxhall" again... :grumpy:

Should we include a lower IQ limit for voting? :lol: :dopey:

The Monaro is the same thing as the Vauxhall whatever and the Pontiac GTO. It's just a badge job.

Yes, you are right. Because Argentina is Australia. It has seven letters, and starts and ends with an A.
Like the Monaro is a re-badged Pontiac GTO.

See what I'm getting at? :rolleyes: You could have just said "I don't like the car, I prefer x kind of cars." But saying it's a rebadged car, when it's the other way around, will piss people off. Not just aussies, but also argies, brits, yankees, and everyone who likes the car.

The Monaro is the same thing as the Vauxhall whatever and the Pontiac GTO. It's just a badge job.

The Vauxhall VXR8 is a badge-job.

The Pontiac GTO is a badge-job.

A Holden Monaro is a legitimate, actual car. It's not their fault they're owned by a mother company that sucks at platform sharing.

It was the Vauxhall Monaro, too.

800px-2004-2005_Holden_VZ_Monaro_CV8_coupe_01.jpg

Holden Monaro

800px-2006-Pontiac-GTO.jpg

Pontiac GTO

monarovxr05_w800.jpg

Vauxhall Monaro VXR

PLUS!

chev_lumina_coupe.jpg

Chevrolet Lumina Coupe (Middle East)

They were all essentially the same vehicles, but interestingly enough, the engine options were all over the board in the different markets. While we had the 5.7L (LS1) and 6.0L (LS2) flavored models in the 'States, the Brits had the 6.0L (LS2) available with a 500 BHP supercharged option. The Aussies had the wider assortment of kit, with the Buick 3.8L S/C V6 and the 5.7L (LS1) V8. Plus the HSV models, too.

The Vauxhall VXR8 is a badge-job.

The Pontiac GTO is a badge-job.

A Holden Monaro is a legitimate, actual car. It's not their fault they're owned by a mother company that sucks at platform sharing.

Still the GTO is the same car so it gives me some idea of what the car is like.

Now that is a well "thought" opinion, and I won't disagree with you. 👍 :cheers:
Though it isn't exactly the same car, you did say it gives you an idea. 👍

CASE CLOSED

The Vauxhall looks like crap.

I usually think that the GTO looked the best of the four of them, but it depends on the color and what style package they had on it. The Vauxhall is what I'd usually rate as second best, but I totally forgot how clean the Lumina SS looked. That is one sharp car.

That's funny, because I find more "roosters" in Japanese cars. There are still lots of hoons everywhere in Australia though.

I'm saying it because the one's I raced personally, thought yeah I could take this grampa car out, only to be watching my tail lights and they wouldn't acknowledge they got their butt handed to them at the next lights. They usually get a bit agro. :confused:

You put sense into nothing.:P

I've seen 10 times the roosters in Commodores.....go check out between Blacktown and Penrith if you ever go to Sydney. :lol: Every second street racing story in the paper involves a Monaro/Commodore aswell. Too slow to get away I guess. :P I also have a photo of a Monaro going through next door's fence due to a rooster. ;)

I make perfect sense, don't get cut I'm not voting cool or sub-zero on it. :cool::P

So it seems that the Monaro's reputation as a 'cool' car is dwindling largely thanks to the douches who drive it. The people who drive the car so judged is a necessary factor in determining whether or not the vehicle is cool (i.e., whether you'd feel super-awesome or an idiot if you drove it down to the shops), so I can't blame anyone for it. I just wish it was avoiding the stigma associated with pre-VY Commodores, whose majority of drivers (not you Paulie), showing off 20-inch chrome dinner-plates, fist-diameter fart cans, whilst doing 'rounds of Frankston's CBD in pursuit of 'the ladies', profess to own some of the lowest IQ's seen in Australia. I hate those drivers, and for that reason I wouldn't be caught dead driving a pre-VY Commodore. Same-same but different scenario.

I'm saying it because the one's I raced personally, thought yeah I could take this grampa car out, only to be watching my tail lights and they wouldn't acknowledge they got their butt handed to them at the next lights. They usually get a bit agro. :confused:

I've seen 10 times the roosters in Commodores.....go check out between Blacktown and Penrith if you ever go to Sydney. :lol: Every second street racing story in the paper involves a Monaro/Commodore aswell. Too slow to get away I guess. :P I also have a photo of a Monaro going through next door's fence due to a rooster. ;)

I make perfect sense, don't get cut I'm not voting cool or sub-zero on it. :cool::P

The same can all be said of Japanese, European and American cars, what the hell are you trying to get at?:odd: The difference between the Monaro drivers and you is the size of your wallet, yours is bigger. Speed is all a matter of the size of your wallet.

Edit: Oh yeah, the guys saying the Vauxhall or Chevy look better must be a little confused or something, they all have exactly the same body kits as the Monaro, it just depends on what year model you look at. The Monaro VXR is just an HSV GTO Coupe.

Back