• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1986 Jeep CJ-7 suggested by buickgnx88 :.

blue_cj7.JPG

Specs:

Engines

* 150 cu in (2.5 L) AMC I4
* 232 cu in (3.8 L) AMCI6
* 258 cu in (4.2 L) AMC I6
* 304 cu in (5 L) AMC V8
* 140 cu in (2.3 L) Isuzu Diesel C240

Transmissions

* Warner T-18 (4 speed)
* Borg-Warner T-4 (4 speed)
* Borg-Warner T-5 (5 speed)
* Tremec T-150 (3 speed manual
* Tremec T-176 (4 speed manual)
* Borg-Warner SR-4 (4 speed)
* GM TH-400 (3 speed automatic)
* Chrysler TF-999 (3 speed automatic transmission - 4.2L)
* Chrysler TF-904 (3 speed automatic transmission - 2.5L)

Transfer Cases

* Dana 20 (1976-79)
* Dana 300 (1980-86)
* Borg-Warner QuadraTrac #1339 (1976 -1979)

Axles

* Dana 30 Front (1976-86)
* 2-Piece AMC 20 Rear (1976-86)
* Dana 44 Rear (1986)

Could be any number of those.​

Seriously uncool. In short I hate most Jeep owners, they some how think they drive gods gift to the automotive world and that makes all Jeep's seriously uncool. Not to mention that a Land Rover Series III and the Toyota FJ40 are both cooler in every way when it comes to off road vehicles from the 70's and 80's.

Seriously uncool. They do nothing for me, and as with Joey I'd prefer an old Toyota FJ or Land Rover of the same vintage. I don't know what kind of people actually drive them, but to me they bring up images of mullets, irritating college jocks, and Baywatch types with enormous fake boobs and hair colour out of a bottle.

Seriously uncool. In short I hate most Jeep owners, they some how think they drive gods gift to the automotive world and that makes all Jeep's seriously uncool. Not to mention that a Land Rover Series III and the Toyota FJ40 are both cooler in every way when it comes to off road vehicles from the 70's and 80's.

Actually Land Rover owners have a habit of behaving like that too. They're either far too cocky about having the 'best 4x4xfar' and go around brandishing bumper stickers like 'Suzuki Rescue Vehicle'; or they go into a silly little fantastical world of being able to drive to the ends of the earth, despite having never left Surrey.

I don't think this Jeep is massively uncool. These, however...

JP007_001CP.jpg

2007-jeep-patriot.jpg

Seriously Uncool, never liked this style Jeep, never will. Not to mention the only decent ones (soft top's) are completely useless 7/12 months here as it's too cold to drive them.

Jon - I'd actually rather have a Jeep Patriot than a CJ-7. At least it has a nod towards practicality and comfort and doesn't look too bad in an unimaginative sort of way.

I don't know what kind of people actually drive them, but to me they bring up images of mullets, irritating college jocks, and Baywatch types with enormous fake boobs and hair colour out of a bottle.

Take Jondot's statement:

Actually Land Rover owners have a habit of behaving like that too. They're either far too cocky about having the 'best 4x4xfar' and go around brandishing bumper stickers like 'Suzuki Rescue Vehicle'; or they go into a silly little fantastical world of being able to drive to the ends of the earth, despite having never left Surrey.

and replace "Suzuki" with "Hummer" and "Surrey" with "Anytown, USA". There you have exactly what a Jeep owner is like for the most part. Granted if you own a Jeep Liberty you are probably a girl between the ages of 16-25 and it was a present from your daddy.

It's a shame people with Land Rovers act that way, there aren't enough of them around here to really get an impression of them...although any new Land Rover is pretty much driven by a guy who yells into a Blackberry while doing 85mph in a 40mph zone with 4" of snow on the ground.

It's a shame people with Land Rovers act that way, there aren't enough of them around here to really get an impression of them...although any new Land Rover is pretty much driven by a guy who yells into a Blackberry while doing 85mph in a 40mph zone with 4" of snow on the ground.

Ahh, well it depends which Land Rover.

New ones tend to get the general SUV treatment (soccermom alert), while the older ones are bought up by those obsessed with clambering up and down muddy bits of the countryside for reasons that aren't immediately apparent - the 'enthusiasts', if you will.

cool, as enzo ferrari said "the jeep is americas only true sportscar" and i am 100% sure he meant teh open top CJ's. i love going offroading, thats why my new car is an 84 blazer. jeeps are one of the few vehicles that you can take the doors and top off and not get pulled over for it. tehy arent meant to be practical, they are meant to be rugged and fun. and there is nothing wrong with the fake bay watch boobs!

Cool 53.34%

Jon - I'd actually rather have a Jeep Patriot than a CJ-7. At least it has a nod towards practicality and comfort and doesn't look too bad in an unimaginative sort of way.
The Jeep Patriot is so mind-bogglingly awful that is the equivalent of if the next announced Lamborghini was actually a rebadged Škoda Praktik, only put together worse. Or, for a more obvious correlation, if the next Aston Martin was a rebadged Freelander which had an interior patched together out of old shoes.
Mercedes sucks.

I voted cool, since it's a great off-roader and can become a convertible. If it has a good working heater, it would be fine for the winter. I have a soft top Wrangler and I'm perfectly fine in below zero weather (after it warms up of course :P). The only drawbacks would be the Carter carbs they used, but you can easily upgrade to the better Holley or Weber.

Re: cocky drivers
There are idiots for every popular vehicle that think theirs is God's gift, and all similar should die.

They are cool for off road use but not as a daily driver for the city streets.

There are idiots for every popular vehicle that think theirs is God's gift, and all similar should die.

Jeeps are especially bad, and very much so in my area because there is a whole crowd of tool boxes that think they are awesome. They even had a petition going around to get a bunch of citations removed because they were all ticketed for breaking into an abandoned rock quarry and off roading. That seems really bold to me, you broke the law by trespassing on private property to go "off-roading" and you were caught.

This is why I hate Jeep owners. Plus I'll never understand recreational off roading. If you are trying to get somewhere then I can understand but to drive around in a mud pit? What the hell?

A Jeep is equal to a lawnmower to me. My lawnmower does a real good job on the lawn,but really sucks on the road...same as a jeep.

@ Joey: It's just something that when you do it, you love it (or at least I do). Heck, I do agree that there are tools in the Jeep crowd, and I'm embarrassed by it, but the ones that aren't cocky are a great bunch of people. They help each other out when someone breaks down, they help each other when someone gets stuck, and if someone's Jeep gets stolen they try their hardest to find out where it went. I'm not going to change your view on us, but at least I can let you know what I feel.

@ Daddyvdub: Haha, it isn't the greatest on the road but I could care less.

@ Joey: It's just something that when you do it, you love it (or at least I do). Heck, I do agree that there are tools in the Jeep crowd, and I'm embarrassed by it, but the ones that aren't cocky are a great bunch of people. They help each other out when someone breaks down, they help each other when someone gets stuck, and if someone's Jeep gets stolen they try their hardest to find out where it went. I'm not going to change your view on us, but at least I can let you know what I feel.

I have been recreational off-roading quite a few times and still for the life of me I can't understand it. As far as I could tell it was a bunch of backwards rednecks flying confederate flags, drinking a ton of awful beer and trying to see who could drive the deepest into a mud pit. I really good with not being associated with that crowd.

And all enthusiast groups help out each other, I've seen fellow MINI owners in trouble and I've pulled over to help them. But that's not the point, it's how others outside you group view you. If all they ever experience is tool boxes from your group then you get a bad image. It's one of the reasons I quit running with the mini truck crowd, they were all full of self righteous d-bags. Jeep owners come across the same way to me, especially with their stickers that say "it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". I understand an automotive culture just fine, you all love your vehicle, that's cool, now quit being so "holier than thou" about it.

I don't know Jeep owners just really rub me the wrong way and I have virtually no respect for them and thus it makes all Jeeps seriously uncool.

Uncool. There's just nothing cool about it. It's not the original, and the newer ones aren't that bad, actually pretty good at off-roading. But these ones? They fit right in that place between a classic and something new enough to be cool. So it's junk.

they bring up images of mullets, irritating college jocks, and Baywatch types with enormous fake boobs and hair colour out of a bottle.

You bot the mullets, but for the CJ-7 the jocks and fake boobs types stick to the newer Wranglers. In fact some guy at Hope has one with the muffler cut off that drives around like a tool every day.

Except some people actually do drive cars that are God's gift to the automotive world. Golf GTIs in particular. But since we're talking about Jeeps, that doesn't really matter.

Except some people actually do drive cars that are God's gift to the automotive world. Golf GTIs in particular. But since we're talking about Jeeps, that doesn't really matter.

You're a cheeky bastard aren't you :lol:.

[/joke]

Last edited:
Sub-Zero without question.

IMO these are GREAT vehicles, especially with the doors and roof off, it's just so, open? The ease of repair and modification is a major plus. Where can't you go in a jeep, especially a proper jeep as these? There not fast, have horrible aerodynamics, but that was never the point, they are great fun and great to own. I absolutely LOVE Jeeps. Only Wranglers and Cherokee/Grand Cherokees I would consider to be proper jeeps, even with street tires, and stock suspension they are great off road vehicles. If you ever want a great truck and love the outdoors this is it. Pop the top and doors off and cruise the beach on a sunny day, I can't think of a better way to get around in the woods, or on the beach. Did I say I love Jeeps? Cause I love Jeeps!

Oh and the chicks dig it so +1 :D

Just cool for me. I rather prefer the newer Wrangler, but I like the old ones, too. Don't see many people swapping the V6s for Hemis.

and Jeff Bainter's "Hot Stuff" CJ was pretty cool...

johnstown06038.jpg

((That one's still around and touring, BTW, but under the name of it's teammate, High Voltage)

But the Jeep automotive culture is centered (more or less) around off-road.

Oh great I've confused myself.

Ya I know, I understand it's part of their culture and like I said I know why they do it, I just don't see why people would want to. I guess I'm using "I don't understand it" as a figure of speech. Perhaps I'm not explaining myself clear enough, but whatever, I should be done with this anyways...back to cool v. uncool.

Some people don't understand drifting either.

Offroading is just something fun to do, for me at least. I've owned many Jeeps, they have taken me places I otherwise would never have gone or gotten to. Are there better off road vehicles out there? Sure there are, Jeeps are just widely available, easy to maintain and I've never been able to kill but one, and it had over 350,000 Miles on the clock, but that was not the motor or driveline, just the electronics. Dropping it into 4-Lo and setting off down the beach to where basically no one goes to have your own private area to fish and relax is great. Or four wheeling around in a National Park, seeing all kinds of wildlife and un-spoiled (for the most part) land that many people would never see in a vehicle is what it's all about for me. Sure it's nice to drop into a mud pit and sling some mud around just to do it, but that's not everything. I'll give credit where it's due, but as far as a cheap reliable four wheel drive, Jeep has that wrapped up in my mind. Offroading is something you either enjoy or don't, I love being off the beaten path, either going nowhere just wheeling or experiencing nature. Me personally, I love to fish, a Jeep will get me to spots that I would not reach in a two wheel drive pickup. Sure other trucks will get me there, but sitting in leather seats with the a/c blasting in a Grand Cherokee wheeling down a trail or top off wheeling down a trail or at the beach in a Wrangler, to me it just does not get any better. Bad people exist in any car culture, Ford and Chevy war for instance. If you base your opinions on Jeeps by that then fine, but I've never met anyone who was like that when I was out wheeling, regardless of if I was pulling out a Silverado, taking turns with a K-5 Blazer in a mud hole or just trail riding with an F-150. Everyone is just out to have fun, there is always one guy who can ruin it for everyone, I just avoid those types.

Down in Merrit Island two years ago there were over 1,000 trucks out at a place in Canaveral Groves called "The Black Hole". Everyone was getting along just fine, regardless of if they drove a Duce and a half of if it was a sponsored mud tuck or four wheeler. It's kind of cool to just watch trucks go into a pit with water and mud that almost reaches the top of the windshield and then drive out the other side. It's really the same as any community, I'm not trying to change your opinion on it or anything, it's just more than being a drunk redneck and talking badly about someone's off road vehicle of choice. It really can be a whole lot of fun. If I ever see someone with a rover off road I'd only give them thumbs up and think it was cool to see someone using it for something other than the street, never would I talk down to someone because I have a Jeep and they a Suzuki, those Samurai's are great little trucks.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't see the last post.

Back