GTP Cool Wall: 1976-1986 Jeep CJ-7. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 54 comments

Jeep CJ-7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hgyj.jpg

Real Jeeps have square headlights.

@ Joey: The picture in the first post has gone all "Mario is Missing" on us, it seems. At least to me.

Last edited:
Can't see it either.

Pssh or rectangular!!!
Pictures013.jpg

Nah, I know a Wrangler is what comes to mind when one hears the word Jeep.

Casting aside the image of the typical owner, I like this Jeep. Looks nice and tough. Still, it's not nearly as intimidating as a Hummer H1 though.

COOL

not all offroading is mudding, a huge percentage is rock crawling, mud was teh 80's 90's thing. you know the jeep rubicon? it wasnt inspired for mud, it was inspired, built, and tested fro and on the rubicon trail, take a look at the pictures on this page and you will see what i mean. and the reason why joey doesnt understand, is because its a jeep thing.
http://www.rubicontrail.com/photos.html

LSX
Nah, I know a Wrangler is what comes to mind when one hears the word Jeep.

I personally think of Cherokees actually as that's what we get the most of in the UK. As a kid I was aware of the Cherokee before I knew what the Wrangler/CJ/whatever was. The Cherokee was special for having even fewer curves than a Volvo estate car...

And Toronado - I know the Patriot is awful, but hopefully it puts into perspective how little I feel for the CJ-7 if I'd still rather own a Patriot...

Voted a "cool" because it's great off-road and about as basic as modern transport can get... at least in the US... the rest of the world gets something even better...
1998_Suzuki_Jimny_01.jpg

(funny thing... the Jimny STILL looks exactly like that)

Didn't vote it subzero because it's not a Willys' Jeep. And no, real jeeps don't have square headlights... they have rear hinged headlights so you can read your map with them...
headlight-earth-wires.jpg

(can't find a pic of this in action!)

Saved from being uncool because it's pathetic onroad and it's not a Patriot or... shudders... a Commander. It's a real Jeep.

Voted a "cool" because it's great off-road and about as basic as modern transport can get... at least in the US... the rest of the world gets something even better...
*Snap*
(funny thing... the Jimny STILL looks exactly like that)

I LOVE Jimnys. It's a shame they're so horrendous on normal roads really. And actually it does a better job of being a basic off-roader than the Wrangler - a Jimny is £9,000 if you haggle; a Wrangler starts at £19,000.

The Jimny is the most basic thing you can buy. Tiny engine, dual live axles... :dopey: ...ride comfort to rival an original Jeep. Its diminutive size allows it to do things many bigger and more powerful offroaders can't (except tow another rig... unfortunately).

It's a horrid little car. Still kicking myself for not buying one back in 03... but it was automatic... and I don't like automatics. They're still available new, at least... hopefully in a year or two when I can buy again, they'll still be around... :lol:

I like Jimnys too. Autocar once did an article where they put a Jimny and a Porsche Cayenne around Land Rover's off-road testing course. The Porsche was apparently very good... but then for £60k it should be. The Jimny was equally as good, but only costs £9k. So yeah, it's certainly a proper off-roader, and clearly Jeep-influenced (just have a look at the grille - albeit with 5 grille bars rather than the trademarked 7 of Jeeps).

The Jimney is great, but of course we don't get it here in the States. Back in the day one could get the Suzuki Samurai, but of course they were too unsafe for our roads. As with the Jimney though, they were (and still are) comparable rivals to the Wrangler.

Uncool

I like them, typically, but I'm not a Jeep guy. More specifically, I preferred the generation that follows. The YJ and TJ are the Wranglers I remember most-fondly, and are actually easy to drive. Go figure.

Tough call here.

On one hand,as an off road style vehicle,they are great.They can get you wherever you may want to go in the off-roading world with relative ease.

On the other hand,I have riden in these Jeeps and they will beat the hell out of you,due to the short wheelbase and tight suspension,they ride pretty rough.

No choice offered between cool and uncool, ( possible undecided type vote ? ). Hmmmmmmm, I'll go cool.The V-8 option decided this vote for me.

its a Jeep, seriously uncool. its ugly, off road ability is nothing on a landrover, and over here at least Jeep drivers are a bit ..............

Cant think of a single good thing to say about it!

Wow, I think this may be the closest poll in history, 1 vote could determine whether it is cool, uncool, or seriously uncool.

A lot can happen in two days of voting. It'll probably stay fairly close though.

Back