• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1996-2003 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type V suggested by C-ZETA :.

mitsubishi_legnum_2836061.jpg

Specs:
Engine
Configuration — DOHC 24v V type 6 cylinder
Code — 6A13TT
Bore/stroke, capacity — 81.0 × 80.8 mm, 2498 cc
Compression ratio — 8.5:1
Fuelling — ECI-MULTI, premium unleaded fuel
Peak power — 206 kW (280 PS) @ 5500 rpm
Peak torque — 367 N·m (271 ft·lbf) @ 4000 rpm
Transmission — 5 speed semi-auto / 5 speed manual
Suspension — Multi-link (front & rear)
Dimensions
Length — 4680 mm
Width — 1760 mm
Height — 1420 mm
Wheelbase — 2635 mm
Curb weight — 1520 kg
Fuel tank — 60 L
Wheels/tyres — 225/50 R16 91V

Last edited:
yay! first vote, first post!

I think it's cool and not just because of the pic :sly:

Family carrying space and commodity in a sport package wit all wheel drive. I drive a Galant regularly (granted it's a '92) and they're good tractioned cars with great sporty options. The one I drive has Economic and Power performance as well as Normal and Sports steering... and this is a basic run-of-the-mill car. Can't imagine how many gadgets the Legnum VR-4 may have.

Y'know...after first hearing of this car in GT, I've wished, badly, it'd been brought here. Imagine, a 3000GT VR-4 shaped like a Galant Wagon. Magnum? What Magnum?

Yet, given that, I wouldn't quite call it cool enough to warrant below freezing. It is an awesome car, but...eh, it just doesn't have the presence, or awesome drivetrain, of it's direct competitor, the Nissan Stagea. The fact that other car exists makes this an also-ran, and merely cool.

For me neither one thing nor the other...

Not a hyper-estate in the mould of an E63/E55 AMG or RS6, and not properly practical family transport (but good to drive) like a 530/535D.

And it's monumentally ugly.

Uncool.

Subzero.

That generation of Galant was pretty nice... it was the last one before things all sort of fell apart for Mitsubishi. Great looks, great package... AWD, good rear seat space and cargo space (what, not practical? With a gas-guzzling 2.5 liter twin turbo V6? How can it not be practical?)... and ...great looks.

I was thinking of just giving it a "cool", because it's not a Volvo 850 T5R... but I just really, really like it.

More than a same generation Legacy Turbo? Maybe... maybe definitely...

EDIT:

Ugly? Seriously? I think they're rather understatedly handsome... unlike the horrible bulbosity that is the 3000GT.

VR4_1_26328133425.jpg

Last edited:
It would be helpful if someone could fill me in on the years this car was made, I honestly know nothing about it.

I'm Guessing 96-03 as that was the model years for the eighth generation Galant VR-4 . Really don't know for sure though.

Cool for me. An AWD twin turbo V6 in a wagon sounds like it would be a blast to drive. The styling however kind of hurts it but at least it looks somewhat sporty.

Cool. An excellent car that visually finds the right balance between not shouting about it's abilities too loud, yet not looking completely anonymous (I agree with Niky - I've always found these things very handsome with a dash of aggression. I'm amused how the current Mitsubishi corporate face on the Lancer and Colt isn't dissimilar to the Galant/Legnum...). Plus, probably fuel economy aside, it's utterly useable day to day - space for a family, space for stuff, comfortable, loads of toys.

Not a car that shouts "conspicuous consumption" like a big fast Audi, BMW or Merc estate and therefore cool.

Well gents, I'm torn on this one. Doesn't look bad, but doesn't look cool either...

NEUTRAL

Not an easy choice, I like large powerful wagons. But I don't like Galants or Mitsubishi, aside from wanting to beat on an Evo off road. It makes good power, AWD helps the case too, does not look horrible. It's still a Mitsu wagon though, so, uncool.

Cool. I love that generation of Galant/Legnum, especially the front. Good looks + a nice 280 hp makes it cool!

My dad has one and its a stunning blend of practical and rapid, great to drive and if you add in Japanese sat-nav (and therefore the ability to be driving through the Sea of Japan) its a cool in my book.

Scaff

Considering what replaced it, it's a damn cool car.

Looks: not bad for the time, but looking rather dated now. Not a fan of 4WD other than on a rally car or a landrover. The Mitsubishi badge again dosn't really do anything for me.

In total I cant think of anything that I find cool about this car, so I guess that means that its uncool then...

Epic awesome car. I think it's awesome looking, much in the same way as the new Camaro, and it's also fast as all hell.

But, something doesn't make it sub-zero. I'd have one in a second, and I'd have one over mostly anything. But, there's something.

COOL.

I'm a sucker for hopped up, sporty wagons. Sub-Zero. But if I actually knew enough about it or it was sold here, I might thing otherwise.

Cool looking station wagon with power to embarrass other cars that make fun of you for driving it. Always liked the look of the front too, especially compared to the Magnum (which is the only thing we have over here thats like it, yuck).

Cool in my books. 👍

I'm sorry but this car is an epic fail. It looks ugly and has not contributed to anything to the automotive world.

Sleeper, check. Reasonably good looking, check. Enough power to shame a Mustang (granted, a V6 Mustang), check.

Cool.

Seriously Uncool.

The only Mitsu I'd want to buy and use on a daily basis is of course any version Evo, because most of Mitsus other cars are horribly unreliable. Same with this which seems to be a wagon version of the infamously powerful-yet-very-unreliable 3000GT. I'm not all that keen on the looks either, and there's that little thing called the Nissan Stagea. RB25DET wagon? Yes please.

The trouble with the Stagea is that it's like a Volvo estate with even less style. The Mitsubishi has a bit of character. And to be honest, Nissans aren't the most reliable things either, at least not up to the same level that Hondas and Toyotas seem to occupy.

Nissan engines are pretty reliable... it's the gearboxes that usually take a dump when you race or modify them... :D ...I could give a whole litany of mechanical issues with the Galant up to and beyond that year model... but a car doesn't have to be as reliable as a Corolla to be cool.

My dad has one and its a stunning blend of practical and rapid, great to drive and if you add in Japanese sat-nav (and therefore the ability to be driving through the Sea of Japan) its a cool in my book.

Scaff

"Please to turn right at beach. Drive 10,000 kilometers, then take a left at Tokyo."

:D

(Okay, so I was off by a few hundred kays...)

Last edited:
Back