GTP Cool Wall:Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type V. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 60 comments

Legnum VR-4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seriously Uncool.

The only Mitsu I'd want to buy and use on a daily basis is of course any version Evo, because most of Mitsus other cars are horribly unreliable. Same with this which seems to be a wagon version of the infamously powerful-yet-very-unreliable 3000GT. I'm not all that keen on the looks either, and there's that little thing called the Nissan Stagea. RB25DET wagon? Yes please.

Speaking from personal experience, its actually a very reliable car being closer to the Lancer Evo than the 3000GT (both the Legnum and the Lancer Evo ran the 4G63 engine).

While not strictly speaking accurate, the Legnum is closer to a Lancer Evo wagon than a 3000GT based wagon, and a Lancer Evo based wagon is always going to be cool.

"Please to turn right at beach. Drive 10,000 kilometers, then take a left at Tokyo."

:D

(Okay, so I was off by a few hundred kays...)
If only we knew what it actually says, could be telling us how to order Sushi.

Scaff

Last edited:
sub zero

although structural rigidity and suspension leave ALOT to be deasired for,this car has been raised and still kept bottoming out on a drive to the borders.sounds good too with the turbos whistling away.Its also fun seeing how many bars on the AYC you can get to light up when you floor it out of corners :D

Speaking from personal experience, its actually a very reliable car being closer to the Lancer Evo than the 3000GT (both the Legnum and the Lancer Evo ran the 4G63 engine).
Didn't the Legnum VR-4 run the same 2.5L V6 that the Galant VR-4 had?

For those who don't know, the Legnum was the wagon version of the Galant. We got the Galant in the States, but it was the underpowered FWD version.

In the final (8th gen) version they did indeed (the 6A13TT), the first of the 'true' VR-4 Legnum's however started life with the 4G63 from the Evo.

Linky - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant_VR-4#Sixth_generation_.28E38A.2FE39A.29

Scaff

Not to mention the fact that the entire 4G63T Lancer Evolution line-up owes its life and general layout to the first Galant VR-4s.

Excuse me for asking but could someone translate that into Horsepower?

276 "gentleman's agreement" limited horsepower... same as any high-performance Japanese car of the time... can be made much more with simple upgrades.

276 horsepower. ;)

Cheers,
Jetboy

Thanks. I'm still debating on whether or not to classify it as a sleeper because it has the same "listed" horsepower as the major Japanese sports cars of that time period.

Thus, I might end up voting...

Thanks. I'm still debating on whether or not to classify it as a sleeper because it has the same "listed" horsepower as the major Japanese sports cars of that time period.

Thus, I might end up voting...
Well, what makes it sleeper is that you wouldn't expect that power, in a wagon. Picture it beside you at a stoplight. Do you think it would be sub-300 horse and turbo'd? ;)

Cheers,
Jetboy

That was the limit on horsepower for a while... that's why the NSX and original Evos were limited.

The trouble with the Stagea is that it's like a Volvo estate with even less style. The Mitsubishi has a bit of character. And to be honest, Nissans aren't the most reliable things either, at least not up to the same level that Hondas and Toyotas seem to occupy.

None of the 5 or 6 Nissans we've owned, except for the recent water pump replacement on my current S'line, have ever needed anything replaced, and nothing major has gone wrong with them. Mitsubishis, 3000GT and Eclipse being the main culprits, have had a habit of having both unreliable engines AND gearboxes.

And the Stagea is essentially a wagon R34 Skyline. Same engines, same styling except for the rear of course. And RB engines are ridiculously good I might add.

None of the 5 or 6 Nissans we've owned, except for the recent water pump replacement on my current S'line, have ever needed anything replaced, and nothing major has gone wrong with them. Mitsubishis, 3000GT and Eclipse being the main culprits, have had a habit of having both unreliable engines AND gearboxes.

Well as the Legnum doesn't have many similarities with the 3000GT and the Eclipse is well known for it's problems, neither really apply. None of the Mitsubishis we get (or have got) in the UK have too bad a reputation. All variants of the Evo have been pretty good as long as they aren't tuned to oblivion, the FTO (whether officially imported or otherwise) has quite a good reputation though the ones that do suffer are probably from abuse as it's a bit of a yob car (unfortunately), and things like the Galant, Lancer and Carisma seem to be okay too.

And the Stagea is essentially a wagon R34 Skyline. Same engines, same styling except for the rear of course. And RB engines are ridiculously good I might add.

The Stagea pictured doesn't look anything like an R34 though I do know the one you mean. Though as I don't find anything about the R34's styling particularly nice it's not really a selling point looking like one.

I used to think they were cool. But now I live in Japan, they really aren't that rare to see and the Legacy has it beat for street cred. Uncool.

Nissan engines are pretty reliable... it's the gearboxes that usually take a dump when you race or modify them... :D ...I could give a whole litany of mechanical issues with the Galant up to and beyond that year model... but a car doesn't have to be as reliable as a Corolla to be cool.

100000% disagree. My dad used to own aa Nissan in Japan. After six years or regular use (50 000K) he was on the highway and the timing belt snapped. Never touched a Nissan ever since.

100000% disagree. My dad used to own aa Nissan in Japan. After six years or regular use (50 000K) he was on the highway and the timing belt snapped. Never touched a Nissan ever since.

Nissan (UK at least) always used to have timing belt intervals of 5 years or 60K (whichever comes first), so at six years it was well into 'iffy' anyway (rubber doesn't last forever).

Personally I would never leave it six years between timing belt changes, too much risk and a very big bill on an interference engine (and most Nissans are).

To be honest, most cars with a timing belt would be into the risky category at 6 years.

Scaff

Nissan (UK at least) always used to have timing belt intervals of 5 years or 60K (whichever comes first), so at six years it was well into 'iffy' anyway (rubber doesn't last forever).

Personally I would never leave it six years between timing belt changes, too much risk and a very big bill on an interference engine (and most Nissans are).

To be honest, most cars with a timing belt would be into the risky category at 6 years.

Scaff

+1. Six years of use and 50k kms is pretty long to go without changing a belt.

Makes me glad SR20s are chain driven... chain failures are extremely... extremely rare.

Makes me doubly glad my Mazda mill is non-interference... though it's about time I changed my belt, too.

Really? We just changed our Toyota Sienna's timing belt at 150 000 km.

Asking for trouble in a big way.

Here in the UK an average timing belt change would be around £300 including labour, compare that for a potential £700 - £1,000 for a new engine.

Timing belts are made of rubber, they wear and perish and stretch, they don't even need to break to do the damage, simply slip, that will throw your timing out. If you have an interference engine you now have piston and valve hitting each other and a very big bill.

Its standard maintenance.

Scaff

+1. Six years of use and 50k kms is pretty long to go without changing a belt.

+billionty

Being unreliable is one thing. Breaking because you didn't stick to even the most basic service schedule then blaming the car? Ridiculous.

Makes me doubly glad my Mazda mill is non-interference... though it's about time I changed my belt, too.

Same here - on both counts. I've been putting Red's cambelt off because it'll cost £700 (V6 in engine bay designed around it specifically = nightmare job = more hours = big money) and because if it does go it's non-interference, I won't be far from home and I have an entire spare engine on the drive...

And 150,000 kilometers on one timing belt is so far beyond ridiculous, it's criminal.

Same as the fact that just because you can get away without changing tires until after the steel cords start sticking through the tread doesn't mean that you can blame the tires when you have a big blowout and end upside down in a ditch.

Back