Transmission - 4-speed automatic / 4-speed manual (until 1992) / 5-speed manual
Power - 255 bhp @ 4600 rpm / 180 BHP @ 3400 rpm
Torque - 330 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm / 360 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
Curb weight - 4305 lb
Zero to 60 mph - 9.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile - N/A
Price - $19,455

Last edited:
Great truck for cheap, but every time I see them they are driven by teens or guys in their early 20's, usually on BFG All-Terrains with a lift, brush guard, dual exhaust, and way too many antennas. Seriously Uncool!

Seriously uncool. People who own these remind of people who sit around drink Bud, watching NASCAR, and listen to country and western music. And if it's not the redneck, it's some guy in his 80's who's had the truck forever and it's an ugly brown colour. Nothing about that even remotely suggests cool to me.

They weren't bad trucks though, especially for their time, though. They can also be had extremely cheap now and make pretty good work trucks.

As much as I like this generation of GM's trucks(extremely durable), they are very boring style wise. Plus, you can't really customize it without looking like every other customized 1500. I would much rather get a F-150 or a Ram of the same decade as not everyone has one.

-Uncool.

For what it was, back that, it was cool, I guess.

In todays environment, it would be a turd, but i'm judging all vehicles in the era they came out.

Great truck for cheap, but every time I see them they are driven by teens or guys in their early 20's, usually on BFG All-Terrains with a lift, brush guard, dual exhaust, and way too many antennas. Seriously Uncool!

Well its certainly refreshing for someone to submit something uncool on purpose.
Not much to say, boring, seriously uncool.

If I saw this in the UK, I'd almost certainly assume the driver had lost most of his teeth through smoking, beats his wife and has an absolutely miniscule penis.

Then again, that applies to pretty much any pick-up besides the Mazda B/Ford P. While I'm sure they have their place, and there can be such a thing as a cool one, in the US, in the UK they're completely absurd and not in a good way.

My dad has owned two of these and both of them absolutely refused to die. The only reason my dad got rid of his first one was because the frame was rotted and the bed was so rusty you could punch a hole through it, but what do expect for a New Hampshire truck.

If I ever needed a truck this is exactly what I would get. I would prefer a Dodge but I wouldn't want to be replacing transmissions left and right.

Cool

EDIT: It's a great truck when you're actually going to use it, but I do agree with others that a lot of people who drive them aren't the best human beings out there. My dad was a carpenter so it was perfect, you could put everything you could possibly need and then some in the bed.

Seriously uncool. People who own these remind of people who sit around drink Bud, watching NASCAR, and listen to country and western music. And if it's not the redneck, it's some guy in his 80's who's had the truck forever and it's an ugly brown colour. Nothing about that even remotely suggests cool to me.
Same thoughts here.

If I saw this in the UK, I'd almost certainly assume the driver had lost most of his teeth through smoking, beats his wife and has an absolutely miniscule penis.
:lol:

My dad had one of these (a split-headlight, stepside 5.7L 1989 model) for years and years and years.

It was the car I learned to drive in (and therefore the car I learned to drive manual in), the (first) car I nearly killed myself in, the car I got in my first accident in (unrelated the the former).
I would spend long amounts of time helping my dad do stuff on it. We tuned the engine to 300 or so HP, we recalibrated the speedometer so the KM/H reading was actually MPH (which was kind of moot because he later replaced the speedometer assembly with one from a newer Tahoe), we changed the transmission to an NV4500, we installed a roll bar. Most of my childhood and teen years were spent in a seat of this truck, and they were all the more awesome because of it.

Sub-Zero.

Last edited:
It's not bad, but it's DEFINETLY not cool. You don't hear people going around saying "Oh yeah, I'm crusing around in my big, ugly, gas guzzling pickup. Check me out." It at least helps people with jobs that require off-roading.

Nevertheless, uncool.

PS: I notice that all the cars are suggested by someone. How do you do that?

It's a pick up truck FFS... how could it possibly be anything other than seriously uncool.

Cool... One of my favorite generation Chevy trucks.. A true work horse that does every right.. And one of the most reliable vehicles on the road. Annnnd they make a lovely noise.

Most of the above can be said about any 90's pick-up.

Oh, oh, oh. No. We had a white '98 where I worked, and, honestly, the damn thing felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment. Steering was light and overboosted, shuddered and shook, and attempting to use the four-wheel-drive on an icy day resulted in a funny smell, dragging front wheels, and what appeared to be grease having escaped from the front pumpkin.

As well, I tend to associate these with factory workers, driving eighty, assumedly with Skynyrd at full volume, though it's impossible to tell with dual 3-inch boat exhausts roaring out the back...Not that I hate blue collar boys or anything, but I can't stand drivers like that. Cannot tell you how many times a K1500 has tailgated me...lately, they've also been sprouting xenon bulbs in housings not meant for them.

Add this to the fact that, when it comes to trucks, I like Ford. (see Cool Wall Nomination: Bigfoot.)

Uncool's too cold for this one.

Well I voted Uncool, but only because my perception of it is that it's probably not the best at what it does, and it also looks rubbish - rather than because it might be associated with 20-80 year old, beer-swilling, fag smoking, wife beating, NASCAR watching, country and western listening, under-endowed, aftermarket xenon headlamp fitting, annoying type people!

I don't live in the US, but from what I've seen on the adverts during NASCAR.. when it comes to pick-up trucks I'd rather have a FORD EF-ONE-FIFTY SOOOPER DOOTEEY!

They weren't bad trucks though, especially for their time, though. They can also be had extremely cheap now and make pretty good work trucks.

Hey man, nothing wrong with drinking beer, listening to country, and watching some Nascar. Just replace the Bud with Spaten or Franziskaner! That said, this truck is just meh. It's cool if you want a work truck, or a truck to take to the beach or just beat off road, or of course tow the boat with. It will do anything you ask it to, other than get you girls. :lol:

Would not mind one for a second vehicle, because I do tow a boat, drive on the beach and go off road. This is likely the newest Chevrolet truck I'd buy, I prefer Ford trucks to Chevy's, but not if it was a Ford from the same time period as this truck.

Sooo...Uncool, but very useful, but we're not voting on that.

LSX
It will do anything you ask it to, other than get you girls. :lol:

Hah, mine does all that, and get me girls. F150 FTW!

Anyways, I voted Cool. I looked a few of them, I like them. And with that 350, you can make them as fast as you dare

Brilliant truck but it does seem like a bit of an overcompensator's truck. If nobody's using it for work or hauling stuff, it does give off the impression that you're compensating for something.

UNCOOL

It's only cool if it has one of those 8-foot long antennas.

Back