My track design

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I guess I'll just put it here...

Anyway, so this is my first try using Google SketchUp. I wanted to make a fast track with some passing opportunities.

The track orientation is meant to be run counter-clockwise.

I wanted the last half to be downhill (after the long right hand sweeper heading into the kink).

Also, any thoughts, comments & suggestions? I had a lot of fun making this and hope to improve as I go along.

EDIT - btw, the program is free if you want to give it a go...

Attachments

• track1.jpg
    track1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
It might be fun to drive, but it's a lousy race track. Modern cars can't do anything with those long sweeping turns except line up behind each other. You'd do better to have more straight sections, even short ones. And at least two places you've got the thinnest part of the sand trap at the beginning of the corner, no run-off room. And that sweeper-into-hairpin to start the pit straight is completely undoable. The kink before the end of the fastest (only?) straight is just plain dangerous.

And it gets even worse if you contemplate bikes on that thing.

It might be fun to drive, but it's a lousy race track. Modern cars can't do anything with those long sweeping turns except line up behind each other. You'd do better to have more straight sections, even short ones.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I think it is an interesting design, sure there are flaws that need some ironing out, but I think this has the possibility to provide a unique challenge if it were ever to be created in real life or virtually.

I think this track is owkey and well done for your first time ;)👍

I sketched a lot of tracks in my drawing block but have to look for it though.

EDIT: Too many long sweeping corners is just plain and boring IMO. Try to go with some tight chicane after a straight, or maybe a tight chicane after a shot sweeping corner. That might test the driver's braking control ability.

I think this track is owkey and well done for your first time ;)👍

I sketched a lot of tracks in my drawing block but have to look for it though.

EDIT: Too many long sweeping corners is just plain and boring IMO. Try to go with some tight chicane after a straight, or maybe a tight chicane after a shot sweeping corner. That might test the driver's braking control ability.

Thanks for the compliments & suggestions. It is still a work in progress as I'm still getting used to the program (I've had for only less than a day).

Is that blue strip supposed to be water? Looks like everyone would end up in it.

Blue are grand stands.

magicalign
Isn't sketch up for designing stuff in 3d?

Yes, but I haven't gotten that far into the program yet. I have found some very nice tracks designed on SketchUp on the Ten-tenths forum done in 3D.

Last edited:
I'm tired of car threads being on the rumble strip and no one doing anything about it. Surely this has to be in the motorsport section at least...

Isn't there a track design thread somewhere?

Yeah, for F1 tracks, but then it turned into a real project so no one did anything with it. Of course that was after it had enough interest from people to do it on the old setup...

LSX
Yeah, for F1 tracks, but then it turned into a real project so no one did anything with it. Of course that was after it had enough interest from people to do it on the old setup...

Interest dwindled down to my own.

It simply died off after a couple of weeks, with occasional bumps reviving it.

No-one had any good ideas for themes, so it was screwed from the start.

I had a go with this software this afternoon and came out with this, Its not the best but I think its ok.

Attachments

• track 2.jpg
    track 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 135
Interest dwindled down to my own.

It simply died off after a couple of weeks, with occasional bumps reviving it.

No-one had any good ideas for themes, so it was screwed from the start.

It wasn't good as is though? Well, I guess theme ideas would have been good.

Nice track Tiddy, simple and looks like you could do some good racing on it.

I'm just putting another one together now, My first try with the 3d tools, You wont be able to see it on here but I'll post some pictures as I get closer to the end.

I also found the terrain colouring tools :ouch: which I could have probably used on my first track.

This track looks like it would flow better and isn't just for karts like the first one.

Edit: looking at this now, It sort of reminds me of GT4's Driving Park :D

Attachments

• track3.jpg
    track3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 99
TGM, I'm glad someone else is trying their hand at this. I saw your post on 10-tenths also, I'm glad to see a GTP member find their way over. There seems to be some really knowledgeable people there.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what you'll make when you start to get more comfortable with the program.

As a side note, here's my second try at a new circuit. I think the layout is better suited to be run anti-clockwise.

FINAL EDIT - Ok, so I'm pretty much done with it.

4288537272_f0f69502cd_b.jpg

4287796611_0183f83062_b.jpg

4288538488_64bb6a727e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sweeet, dude. It looks pretty big. How many e-miles is it? :P:tup:

EDITL: I'm downloading Sketchup at this moment.. I want to see if I can come up with any good designs.

That one really is looks great Arvin!! I might have to try that software, maybe later when I get some times ;)

That one really is looks great Arvin!! I might have to try that software, maybe later when I get some times ;)

Sweeet, dude. It looks pretty big. How many e-miles is it? :P:tup:

EDITL: I'm downloading Sketchup at this moment.. I want to see if I can come up with any good designs.

Thanks for the compliments!

TT, I haven't really thought about measurements. In that case, I would need a scale for the front straight & then measure from there and I don't really feel like doing math at nearly 2am...

By the way, if you guys do try the program, draw your lines using the line tool & the arc tool. Once you have a complete circuit, use the offset button. Whether you choose to go more in depth with 3d pits/garages and grandstands is up to you!

Fyuuhhh!!! Got it done with, so noobish result :P

It consisting of 13 corners and med-low downforce setup track. Ah well it's still under construction :P.... I'm not sure how to calculate the length but anyways, I think roughly around 4KMs??

Last edited:
I like it the only thing I would say is that your right angled corners could be smoothed out a bit and I think it would look better.

update on my track, coming along well, kerbs still need to be added as well as some other things.

Attachments

• track3.jpg
    track3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 73
^ Nice details on your last one. The garages look freakin' awesome! All you need now are grand stands. :)

Kidrauh, that's not a bad first effort. You can only get better from here. PS - export your image (to your desktop for example) as a jpeg that way the axis lines don't show up.

Updated, with some minor details... I have no idea how you made that garage but it looks awesome TGM Tiddy!!!

I also fixed the sharpness right angled corner... It looks much better now ;)

Looks interesting, i do a bit of track designing myself for some tracks for my current project i am doing

Might put some up and u can rate them?

I like how every circuit we've designed so far has a different feel.

Updated, with some minor details... I have no idea how you made that garage but it looks awesome TGM Tiddy!!!

Looking good! I like the improvements. That looks like a fast course! It gives me a very F1 feel to it as opposed to a club circuit.

For the garage, I used the push/pull tool to offset to make the garage doors 3d. (See my new pic on page 1, post #17 for an example).

Looks interesting, i do a bit of track designing myself for some tracks for my current project i am doing

Might put some up and u can rate them?

Go for it. The more the merrier.

Last edited:
Back