Mod to use sst shifter with fanatec wheels

• Thread starter bevo
  • 60 comments

bevo

Premium
GTP_bevofrancis
bevo francis
I haven't read anything on here about this and I figured alot of people would like it. Here's a link on how a guy got the SST shifter to work with his turbo s wheel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPNK82LPNg8

It is way beyond my ability, but I'm going to find out if he would make one for me and how much he would charge.

Thanks for posting the video.

Now that is perfect, man I hope Fanatec sees this and decides to let us know they are working and releasing a CS H shifter soon, other wise I am going to keep an eye out for his next video where he shows how to do it.

Funny I was thinking the other week something like that may be possible and surprised nobody had tried to.

I see that Thomas has just replied about an hour ago to that guys youtube video, hopefully Fanatec will come up with something soon.

Yeah hopefully Fanatec comes out with something official soon since the current plastic H shifter is the only part of the PTWS I don't like.
Hell I already broke one H shifter with Forza 3, good thing is they replaced the broken one in 2 days (Armin is a great guy) and the new one doesn't seem so hard to change gears like the first one did, maybe this one will last until the CS H shifter comes out.

I have developed a usb to analogue interface that allows an SST lightning shifter to interface to a fanatec GT2 wheel.

Connections as follows;

Shifter plugs into usb connector on my board

My board has a short cable terminated with a mini din connector that plugs into wheel.

5 Volt supply is then connected to my board.

You now have the SST lightning interfaced to fanatec GT2 wheel. It's out being tested on Forza just now and is working.

Would anyone else be interested in this interface?.

Here is one picture, working on video of interface being used.

Cheers

sstinterface.jpg

Great work! I like that you've used SMD in your circuit design. It appears much more compact then the Richard Kuo's SST adapter circuit. Will you announce it for sale here first or do you have another site for that?

One suggestion: I think a female PS/2 plug interface would be preferable to a cable for longevity sake.

GeekCred, I did think about using a mini-din female connector on the pcb.
I checked available cables for the connection and as far as I can see they all had 4 wire connections and more importantly missed out pin 2 connection (used by fanatec for the x-axis).

I decided the solution of making a 6 way cable (ok position 6 is not used) with 2 male mini-din connectors and a female pcb mini-din connector was just adding cost to the project.

The solution used does have a cable strain relief through the cable tie shown in the picture and I thought this would be adequate for the job.

But hey, I'm always open to suggestions. :nervous:

interfaceone, will you be selling these in the future? and if so, how much do you think you'll sell them for?

Looks good 👍

I'm definitely interested in one (or two!) of these. Looking forward to more info. Good work fella :)

Great work!

Definitely looking at it.

Makes me wonder why Fanatec or TM seems to take forever to come up with something that works..and works well.

Great work!

Definitely looking at it.

Makes me wonder why Fanatec or TM seems to take forever to come up with something that works..and works well.

Wqnder no more ! There's not enough market. Vastly opening up Sim-Gears potential customer base is Sim-Gears challenge....and risk to take, not Fanatec and TM's.

Sim-gear should take a note from Fanatec's playbook whrer they made an adapter opening their wheels up to being compatible with a LARGE installed base of G25/27pedals, hence a good chance at profitability.

Scotty

I actually think this could be a cool product for Fanatec owners. How much would something like that cost I wonder?

Very cool Thomas (Fanatec) even offered his help and gratz

Interfaceone, you still interested in producing/selling your board?

Hello tonyfreak215,

Yes I am still interested in producing/selling these, but it seems to take longer getting price quotes on fictional quantities than it does designing hardware and software. Ok not quite but it sure feels longer and I'm in holiday mode for the next week.

I will have an internet connection through my phone and I will keep an eye on the forum.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Hello Interface,
Do you know if there's any possibility this would work with a Frex H-Shifter (which also has a USB controller built in and is also an 8 speed)? I just got one of these and would LOVE to hook this straight up to the wheel.

GeekCred

I have been on holiday this is my first chance to reply.

I have not tried the Frex H-Shifter on the interface, but if they use the same byte change in the usb data stream as the sst then there will be no problem.

Even if they don't and I can get hold of a Frex H-Shifter I can use a usb monitor program running on the PC to find the byte that changes and make a very small change to software on the interface, then it should work.

I had access to a SST Lightning when I developed the interface, but the cost involved of buying a Frex to test it may not be cost effective.

The interface will not harm the Frex H-Shifter it will just not work. PM me and we can talk about a solution.

Interfaceone...I joined this forum to follow your progress on this. I can't wait for this to be available for purchase.

Any update on the time frame or cost?

hey any chance it could be modded to allow me to connect

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel 360/pc and ps3?
lightning sst
and my homemade http://www.cannonsimulationtechnologies.com/category-2.htm cst pedals?

if so whats the price including shipping to Melbourne Australia?
(Probably dreaming on the pedals working.........)

If the shifter your using just now is the same as the one that works with the GT2 wheel then there should be no problem with using the interface to connect the SST shifter to the wheel.

Numanoid,

The usb power supply is used to power the interface. The final form is shown on previous page in this thread with the exception of the din connector that connects to wheel. Could not use the sleeve supplied. The sleeve has been removed to allow the connector to plug into the wheel!!.

Looking into the harmonized codes for customs. I will supply customs declaration form with package, it is up to buyer to pay all fee's and duties at their end.

looking to do all selling using paypal. i.e. you Private Message me your paypal email address and I'll send you invoice through paypal. You pay and I send once payment is cleared.

I have 4 units at present 3 are booked. Will wait to see if there is any more interest before ordering more pcb's. Takes about 3 weeks (15 working days) for pcb's and I can build 6 circuits a day without going blind!!.

Back