Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
1957 Chevy Corvette C1

1957-corvette.jpg

Specs

Notabilities:
First year of optional Fuel Injection (second vehicle to use FI, after the Mercedes 300SL)
Offered one of the first mass produced V8s that produced 1hp/cubic inch
Optional power convertible top, optional power windows​

Betty Skeleton drove an red 56' Corvette C1 Pace car during the "Speed Week" at Daytona Beach in 1956.
1956_Corvette.jpg

Last edited:
As one of the Corvette guys on the forum, I believe I am contractually obligated to voting "Sub-Zero" for any Corvette.

Well, with an exception here and there...

80_corvette.jpg

1980 Chevrolet "California Special" Corvette: 180 BHP, 305ci V8

I've no trouble giving this one a Sub-Zero. Not that quick, certainly not a handler, but effortlessly cool in a way that US cars from the 50s seem to manage. It's all about cruising along, having fun and hanging out with a V8 burble providing the soundtrack.

Just needs to be parked in front of a Diner with a jukebox and a neon sign and the image is complete.

I have NEVER liked the look of the '57 fuelie, or most '57-model GM products. My favorite C1 is the '62, followed by the '53.

I recognize that it's cool, but I can't give more than a The Cheat Noise.

Can't stand the chrome stuff so, uncool. It still has some credibility so its not seriously uncool but personally I'd find it uncool.

It's all about cruising along, having fun and hanging out with a V8 burble providing the soundtrack.

Just needs to be parked in front of a Diner with a jukebox and a neon sign and the image is complete.

👍

Sub-Zero from me too. In my dream garage there's one of these in red.:)

This car reminds me of the scene out of the movie, True Lies:

Language Warning!

I'll vote sub-zero, jut like most Corvettes!

Sub-zero for the reasons I gave in the OP, as well as being an American Classic before the Mustang was ever introduced. I could have gone with the original '53-'55 Vette, but I figured the first refresh would be better off. I also do like the styling of the quad-light years, but the '56-'57 were really the turning points for both the Vette as well as American cars in general.

50's icon. Not to mention it's also America's sports car.

SUB-ZERO

Not really sold on this car. Reputedly drives like a bed on cart springs... and there are probably a zillion sports cars (and non-sports cars) of the time that were better to drive.

But you can't argue with sex appeal... sub-zero.

Not really sold on this car. Reputedly drives like a bed on cart springs... and there are probably a zillion sports cars (and non-sports cars) of the time that were better to drive.

Pretty much. At least for the street versions, it wasn't until the C4 (1984-1996) generation that Chevrolet got most of the performance sorted out. Even then there are plenty of arguments to be made that it wasn't until the C4 ZR1, or perhaps even the C5 Z06, that the Corvette could really be taken seriously as a globally competitive sports car.

Still, it doesn't stop us Corvette guys from thinking we're special.

If you're gunna go against the norm, you've got to bring some reasons

Cool. Sparked an icon, but I don't find it too pretty

It's not very pleasing to look at, and the formula itself hasn't changed since this car appeared.. it's US version of 911.

Definitely Cool. Not quite Sub-Zero because that accolade would go to what I believe is the most epic-looking 'Vette ever, the C3 Sting Ray, but the C1 is still bloody beautiful.

As one of the Corvette guys on the forum, I believe I am contractually obligated to voting "Sub-Zero" for any Corvette.

Well, with an exception here and there...

80_corvette.jpg

1980 Chevrolet "California Special" Corvette: 180 BHP, 305ci V8

That`s NOT a california spec 1980 corvette. It`s the "high performance" (more like highER performance) Corvette of the same year, the L82. 230 hp from a 350 small block. The badge over the side grille says L82. Of course it`s easy to find a similar badge and stick it on your cali-vette, but those california cars are starting too get really rare now (thankfully), so why ruin it even more than chevy did?

And i vote sub zero. I find the 55 with the optional v8 to be the best looking c1 corvette. And best looking overall after the 67 stinger\63 split window.

EDIT: Pictures of a few 1955 v8 Corvettes
Chevrolet_Corvette_1955.jpg

DSC_6026A_a.jpg

55int2.jpg

55side2.jpg

1957-corvette-5.jpg

Edit 2: Damn, the last one is not a 55.

Last edited:
Let's not forget worthy mentions to customs like these:
1341_C1RS-web.jpg

0707sr_68_z+1960_corvette+.jpg

There's nothing wrong with my eyes. Just different interpretations regarding style, that's all.

Back