GTP Cool Wall: Chevrolet Corvette C1

• Thread starter TheBook
  • 60 comments

1957 Chevy Corvette C1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I must say not my favorite Corvette, but since it is the origin of the species had to go for a top vote.

I voted Meh, simply because it does absolutely nothing for me, I wouldn't think I was cool driving it, and I wouldn't ENJOY driving it all that much...

Incidentally, slightly later C1s with the scalloped sides (as in the pic in post #1) look about a million times better than the flabby slab-sided earlier ones.

It's the details that make the C1 though. It's small, it's a simple design, it works best in bold colours, and it's designed to make you feel special. The interior is as much a work of art as the exterior:

vemp_0906_04_z+1962_chevy_corvette_c1_show_car+interior.jpg

corp_0810_04_z+1962_chevrolet_corvette_c1_vette+bucket_seats.jpg

Those seat recesses cut into the bodywork in particular are a great bit of design.

Sooner or later someone else is going to flame you.:ouch:

Why would someone flame him? He's simply expressing his opinion. Indeed, he had the decency to expand upon his initial comment when he was asked to. Seems reasonable to me.

^^ I think he meant "the very same formula as ever", didn't you Leonidae?

And that's not exactly true.

If you go by that line, you'll end up being flamed. Not only by vette fans, but the 911 fan-hordes started to move as soon as you mentioned their god.

Myself included. :grumpy:

Voted meh..... I know its a legend in its own right, but it doesnt do anything for me :( I like the later versions of the car better to be honest..... i.e. Stingray ;)

I think that is a pretty legitimate opinion. The C1 Corvettes were still trying to find their way, generally speaking, before GM really had the path decided with the C2 models. The C1 generation is probably my least-favorite of the six.

If I had to pick in some sort of order, it'd probably be C6, C1, C3, C2, C4 and C5. The C6 is a great bit of kit but in general I far prefer the classics. The C4 and C5 do nothing for me at all. Technically more competent maybe, but they aren't the sports car the C6 is and they don't have the style of the C1-3.

Cool- This is one of two cool Corvettes for me, the other is the C2, which is sub-zero.

If it would be C3 Stingray, I'd love it to death. But it isn't.. And to further expand my reasons to dislike it.. Well, the interior design looks like it came out of a luxury/muscleboat of that era. C2's boat-like appearance continued this, but with the C3 they hit the sweet spot.. After that it has been downhill, especially after original C4 ZR1.

While I like the C3's more, this is a really nice car.
Not as sporty looking as the newer ones, more like a sunday afternoon cruiser.
Cool.

If I had to pick in some sort of order, it'd probably be C6, C1, C3, C2, C4 and C5. The C6 is a great bit of kit but in general I far prefer the classics. The C4 and C5 do nothing for me at all. Technically more competent maybe, but they aren't the sports car the C6 is and they don't have the style of the C1-3.

I'd probably go C2, C4, C6, C5, C3, C1. Of course that is heavily based on looks for the C2 cars, and the C4 more for sentimental value. I completely agree with you on the C6 though. Despite my early, tepid reception of the car, I've grown to absolutely love it.

Incidentally, slightly later C1s with the scalloped sides (as in the pic in post #1) look about a million times better than the flabby slab-sided earlier ones.

It's the details that make the C1 though. It's small, it's a simple design, it works best in bold colours, and it's designed to make you feel special. The interior is as much a work of art as the exterior:

vemp_0906_04_z+1962_chevy_corvette_c1_show_car+interior.jpg

Nah, I like the 56-57 better, more clean in the design :
chevy_corvette_i_5.jpg

On the interior I don't know the differences - that was just a picture I chose to represent what I meant. So my point still stands.

But I agree, that interior is cleaner.

Am I strange that I actually like the C5 generation?

This was the car that finally showed the world that Corvette wasn't just a one-trick pony, but a world-class supercar. And it was a heck of a lot sexier than the C4 (in fact, I still like the looks of this gen better than the C6...).

Voted meh..... I know its a legend in its own right, but it doesnt do anything for me :(

This, it was the same with the Gullwing for me, though I respect both vehicles neither of them move me in any way and for that reason I'll also be going meh. Of course we had no meh option back then on the Gullwing, so I leant to cool as I don't dislike either.

Am I strange that I actually like the C5 generation?

This was the car that finally showed the world that Corvette wasn't just a one-trick pony, but a world-class supercar. And it was a heck of a lot sexier than the C4 (in fact, I still like the looks of this gen better than the C6...).

I prefer the C4 to the C5, because the 80s straight edges make the car look a lot leaner than the blobby C5. I don't think I've seen the C5 up close but I always get the impression that it's absolutely massive compared to all the other Corvettes and that's not a good thing. It looks "soft" and that's not a good thing for a sports car either.

. I don't think I've seen the C5 up close but I always get the impression that it's absolutely massive compared to all the other Corvettes and that's not a good thing. It looks "soft" and that's not a good thing for a sports car either.

Other than being 4" longer than the C6 it's rather similar size wise. Although compared to C1-C4 both the C5 and C6 are rather large.

My list would be C6, C5, C2, C1, C4, C3 with the C5 and C6 almost tied. But this probably changes from day to day. :dopey:

Is this turning into a "List your favorite gen. vette thread"?:lol:

Mine is C2, C6, C3, C1, C5, C4

(The only thing good to come out of the C4 era was the GS)

My thoughts EXACTLY Astrosdude. The C4 ZR-1 was the first car that woke me up to American Muscle when I was a kid thrashing it in the Test Drive series (it was in an Expansion pack along with the RUF Yellowbird), then on the original Need For Speed.

As for shape, I have to go this way: C4 then the rest, that's how much the ZR-1 captivated me back then. But the C6 ZR-1 has had me looking at it really closely now for about a year due to the fact that we can get this motor in a Clubsport at our HSV dealer with the same 620 odd horses. I've been thinking that some rich person here will be going to get a "Super-Clubby", but I still haven't seen one yet. Strange, considering they can be bought here brand new for 1/2 the cost of a 911C4 and 1/4 the price of a 430 or Gallardo.

As for this, the C1 isn't my favourite shape, but there's nothing going against it and it's image speaks for itself. Ultra-cool, bordering on sub-zero.

I prefer the C4 to the C5, because the 80s straight edges make the car look a lot leaner than the blobby C5. I don't think I've seen the C5 up close but I always get the impression that it's absolutely massive compared to all the other Corvettes and that's not a good thing. It looks "soft" and that's not a good thing for a sports car either.

As someone who has spent his entire life obsessed with the Corvette, being around as many of possible whenever I can, generally speaking you aren't missing much with the C5. Its marginally smaller than the current C6, but generally less defined than the C4 that preceded it and the C6 that succeeded it. The post-1991 C4s had a pretty hard edged look to them, and those really are the vehicles I blame for digging me so deep into car culture. When the C5 showed up in 1997, I was as impressed as you'd have expected an eleven year old to be, but really, the looks just haven't held up to me.

Perhaps my entire problem area with the Corvette can be widled down to one thing: The seats. Flat, ugly and not good enough considering what the car was capable of. Something they never fixed. Arguably, they still haven't.

My thoughts EXACTLY Astrosdude. The C4 ZR-1 was the first car that woke me up to American Muscle when I was a kid thrashing it in the Test Drive series (it was in an Expansion pack along with the RUF Yellowbird), then on the original Need For Speed.

As for shape, I have to go this way: C4 then the rest, that's how much the ZR-1 captivated me back then. But the C6 ZR-1 has had me looking at it really closely now for about a year due to the fact that we can get this motor in a Clubsport at our HSV dealer with the same 620 odd horses. I've been thinking that some rich person here will be going to get a "Super-Clubby", but I still haven't seen one yet. Strange, considering they can be bought here brand new for 1/2 the cost of a 911C4 and 1/4 the price of a 430 or Gallardo.

As for this, the C1 isn't my favourite shape, but there's nothing going against it and it's image speaks for itself. Ultra-cool, bordering on sub-zero.

No, you can't. Walkinshaw's supercharged powerhouse is not an LS9, it's their own supercharged creation starting with a stock LS3.;)

Back