Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
1973 - 1975 Leyland P76

p76.jpg

Production: 1973–1975

18,007 produced

Class: Fullsize car

Body style(s): 4-door saloon
3-door coupe (Force 7V - 56 built 8 Auctioned, 2 kept by Leyland, rest destroyed)
5-door station wagon (Two or Three built)

Engine(s): 2.6 L E-Series I6
4.4 L Rover V8

Wheelbase: 111.25 in (2,826 mm)

Length: 192 in (4,900 mm)

Width: 63.25 in (1,607 mm)

Height: 54.875 in (1,393.8 mm)

Fuel capacity: 74 L (19.5 US gal; 16.3 imp gal)​

Y'know...despite being an EXTREMELY obscure Australian car, which, usually, I'd rate anything this obscure at least "cool"...Can't do that here. Doesn't help that it looks like an early '70s AMC Matador...only squarer.

I really know nothing, so....Yeah. Skip until more people post.

Don't really know it and even though it's from the Australian part of the company it's still part of British Leyland so uncool...option of the Rover V8 kept it from being seriously uncool!

If I saw one I'd usher the word "wow" in much the same way as TG's Jezza does when James May announces some new news about the Dacia Sandero.

Uncool.

I'll just go with uncool since it seems like an old, boring sedan and possibly wagon and possibly coupe.

edit: poop, typed cool instead of uncool

Last edited:
So basically a middle of the road, 1970s saloon that an Australian spin off of BL made for 2 years. Yes?

Not even remotely interested. Uncool.

It's related to BL, uncool.

So basically a middle of the road, 1970s saloon that an Australian spin off of BL made for 2 years. Yes?

Not even remotely interested. Uncool.

That's pretty much my thoughts. "Anything but Average". Uncool isn't average. :sly:

It's the worst car that Australia has ever produced, regardless of it's little cult status amongst the oldies here.

So seriously uncool it deserves it's own pit in the fires of hell so it can be killed off with fire at every possible moment!!

If it was actually capable of challenging the other cars in its class of its day, maybe it'd be better, but from what I understand it was a slow, bland turd. The coupe would almost have been alright, but they didn't make enough to save the car, the majority of P76s will always be sedans. Anything but average? Uncool isn't average.;)
Here's a small pic of the coupe btw:
leyland_P76_force7_2.jpg

It's from British Leyland.

It looks like a wedge of chesse, and the coupe looks no better.

Never heard of it.

It has the most ironic slogan.

It's Uncool.

I could deal with it if had the Rover V8.I think it would be sort of cool.The car itself is Fugly,but the V8 option pushes it up into the MEH ranks.

First time I heard of this car was when I opened up this thread, and it's not exactly good looking. No wonder it's obscure...

UNCOOL

Looks quite like they've tried to copy the Dodge Challenger, but make it a sedan/saloon and not make it too obvious (I imagine the 3-door would bear more similarities).

Edit: Oooh, no. The 3-door looks like a Mitsubishi Colt Galant GTO made much, much fuglier. I've never heard of a car copying a 70s Japanese car before (though the other way round is quite normal)...

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know much about this car or who drives it (which seems to be an important factor around), but it looks like some of those bland American sedans from the '70's and '80's.

Uncool. I'm not giving it a Seriously Uncool, since I don't know anything else about the car other than the looks. But I'm sure if I learned more about the car, I would give it a seriously uncool.

I don't know much about this car. After seeing the way it looks, I probably don't want to.

Undecided, leaning towards uncool

Hmm, I don't know much about this car or who drives it (which seems to be an important factor around), but it looks like some of those bland American sedans from the '70's and '80's.

Uncool. I'm not giving it a Seriously Uncool, since I don't know anything else about the car other than the looks. But I'm sure if I learned more about the car, I would give it a seriously uncool.

If you learned more about the car you would put it where I said it deserves to go, in it's own pit of hell where it deserves to be killed with fire at EVERY possible moment.

Hell, I'll make the argument for making it seriously uncool even more. Read, and wince.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_P76
http://www.leylandp76.com/models.html

I think that's enough stomach churning reading and vomit inducing images of P76's for you guys. :sly:

Y'know what....

73.jpg

('73 AMC Matador 4-door)

19leylandp76_m_m.jpg

They look more alike than I thought...But, yeah. S-U for me.

Voted for Uncool, the design just looks unresolved, but I would love to know how this thing sounds.

There's a few different Rover V8's though X-Power. You have the 3.5 (rover 3500), the 4.0 (Morgan Plus 8), and the 4.4 that's in the P76.

Here's a video of a P76 in action, doing the only thing I consider it good for......PADDOCK BASHING!! :D

The sound is different to that Rover V8 in your video. :)

That, and I'm pretty sure Buick 215s Rover V8s didn't come with long-tube headers and street cams...

I could deal with it if had the Rover V8.I think it would be sort of cool.The car itself is Fugly,but the V8 option pushes it up into the MEH ranks.

But every old big car back in those days had a V8 option in the states (and probably Australia also)...

Back