I think PD need to rethink the licensing portion of the GT games

• Thread starter A2K78
  • 203 comments
United States
orlando,FL,USA
I say this because one thing I notice in every GT game to date including Tourist Trophy is the fact the liscening portion tend to be filled with tons of irrelevant and unnecessary modules(ex. the slalom and circle driving to name a few).

If anything I think in the future PD need to go simple and be to the point by employing only those training modules that actually are necessary rather than throwing the book at players.

Other than the "coffee breaks" in GT4, that you were never obligated to complete in the first place, I don't see how any license tests are irrelevant and unnecessary.

In a way I do agree that there were a little too many license tests in GT4, so much that it became a chore to complete them all. I think the first GT had a suitable number of tests without becoming arduous.

I always enjoy completing the all the licences before i start the career mode, it provides an oppertunity to se many track and drive many cars straight away.

I know of many casual gamers who are put off by the license tests and also dislike the way you cannot progress into certain events without having them.

I think that they should be there but should NOT be needed to use any part of the games later events and races. They do get slightly annoying after a while and turn into a chore, there should only be as many as GT4 Prologue had for example.

Robin.

^I like that idea, but what I think would be nice is having a downloadable "key" on PSN that unlocks all events without the licenses. It makes sense to me because it still follows the true GT spirit, but it can be changed if people don't like it. I'd prefer it to be free, but if they made it 99 cents or maybe two dollars, they'd still get a lot of people wanting it.

The license tests dont usually bother me but I would like a 'Go straight to final test' option. Basically whatever course lap, pass and get the license.

^I like that idea, but what I think would be nice is having a downloadable "key" on PSN that unlocks all events without the licenses. It makes sense to me because it still follows the true GT spirit, but it can be changed if people don't like it. I'd prefer it to be free, but if they made it 99 cents or maybe two dollars, they'd still get a lot of people wanting it.
I really don't want to see any EA-esque money milking where you can have everything unlocked by paying extra. :ill:

Gran Turismo games are hard, deal with it ;)
For me it's not the difficulty, since I've golded most of the licenses in GT4. It's just the sheer amount of tests that becomes tedious after a while IMO.

I want them to include an online license that you can LOSE for misbehaving online. And every time you have to re-take it, they knock a tenth off the target times :eek:

They should be kept.

A) They provide prize cars
B) They contribute towards 100% completion (Gold ones)
C) They are a means of learning to drive and getting used to the new physics engine
D) They provide a sense of achievement, especially for the more difficult ones for gold

Apart from the coffee breaks, they are both a useful learning tool and provide a challenge to reach gold for the more experienced racer. For casual players, it's easy enough to get bronze on every test, and they do help you improve no matter what your skill level.

They provide an element of realism into the game that most other games simply overlook. You need prove you are of a certain skill level to enter certain events in real life.

They do not need re-thinking, they are an integral part of the game. There is no tutorial in GT because of the sandbox nature of the game. This is where you go to learn your skills and try out different types of vehicles.

One thing I will note is, the information could be more helpful. It could teach you to gradually apply throttle and brakes smoothly (Something which I never learnt properly until GT5:P) rather than telling you about the slowin/fast-out philosophy on every test.

For me it's not the difficulty, since I've golded most of the licenses in GT4. It's just the sheer amount of tests that becomes tedious after a while IMO.

You don't have to do them all at once :) Personally I like to get 2 or 3 of them out of the way before I even buy a car (I'll certainly need to with the new physics engine). I then do the other ones later to reach the later events. Sometimes though, it can just be fun to try out LMP race cars in the S license right at the beginning of the game. Infact, the licenses in GT4 sometimes affected my choices when buying cars :)

Gran Turismo games are hard, deal with it ;)

The license Tests are hard and difficult, but not anymore than any other games... because for me, i always managed to get all the license in Gold...

For me, it's has never been a chores, i've always enjoyed them, and they are probably an aspect of the GT games that i always look forward too...

It's challenging and so it's rewarding.... 👍

How can it be rewarding if it's not challenging... and you learn a few tricks at the same time... they are there for a reason... to learn to position your car properly in different scenarios.... You dont become a F1 driver overnight ;)

It's literally years of training in different cars... so consider yourself having it easy.... kinda going through a drivers' training for dummy :dopey: ;)

I think too that the licence system has to be remade.

As of now (GT4), licences tests feel too random, with too much focus on very specific situations one will very rarely encounter while racing.
PD should of course still keep some kind of test in my opinion, but make the player invest more time in some kind of "Driving School" ("GT Academy"?) which would teach properly the basics of driving (in addition to more advanced topics), and kept optional for those who think they don't need it and want to go straight for the tests, which would be less than in previous games (GT4 had way too many tests in my opinion!).

For people who still want random driving challenges maybe a new section called "Driving challenges" (duh) or something similar, separated from licences, could be made.

If PD will keep the usual old system I will be a bit disappointed. The problem of the Gran Turismo franchise is that several parts of the game have gotten a bit old as they have essentially remained unchanged since the first GT in 1997.

I know I'm gonna hit up the tests to get used to the new physics model I'm looking at. But the tests do need to be changed a bit. I personally would like the theory portion that is in text before doing the test be applied in an actual race situation (You know that option of watching a video of an AI car doing the test, but only this time it's done in an actual race).

Hi, I'm SrRd RacinG, and I disapprove this topic.

License tests give the game a sense or progression. Otherwise, you'd hop right into the Extreme Events.

The grind is good. Embrace it.

And with the new physics in GT5, I bet we'll be thanking the license tests.

License tests, live on!

You don't have to do them all at once :) Personally I like to get 2 or 3 of them out of the way before I even buy a car (I'll certainly need to with the new physics engine). I then do the other ones later to reach the later events. Sometimes though, it can just be fun to try out LMP race cars in the S license right at the beginning of the game. Infact, the licenses in GT4 sometimes affected my choices when buying cars :)
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of license tests and I think they are one of the things that makes GT unique. :) It's just that the amount of tests per license has increased with every iteration, with GT1 having just 8 compared to the 17 in GT4.

Before I made the switch from ds3 to dfgt I would have agreed with you that the license tests need changed, but since I made the switch the tests help me learn how to play with the wheel very quickly. I think they are a great learning tool for people, maybe a little overkill, but in this case I feel too much is better than too little.

-> While getting certain license are an integral part of GT and I highly doubt that it will change. Plus it adds to the unique GT experience. :)

-> What we need is more license-free races in GT Life (Simulation/Gran Turismo Mode), on which I find to be lacking a lot! :indiff:

For me the licences are the BEST part of the game.

I love trying to get gold on them all. I must have done th licences 4 or 5 times on GT4.

Infact I would gladly pay for DLC that some other licences on it.

I think its a genuine test of your ability. Fixed car,fixed length of track and penalties for short cutting.
Excellent fun.

Personally, I think a nice addition to the license tests would be about trials that encourage you to race cleanly.
For example: beat a target time with another car on the track, without touching the other car, while you do not need to overtake the other car to get silver.

I wonder if the indicators seen on the HUD in one of the new shots will be used in licence tests, if PD were to include non-racing themed tests.

The License Tests are essential in my opinion. I always complete all the tests before even completing the Sunday Cup, it's been a part of the (hard)core GT expirience, and I don't want it to change :).

Doesn´t bother me though if they have an option to skip them, as I'd take them anyway :dopey:

I always enjoy completing the all the licences before i start the career mode, it provides an oppertunity to se many track and drive many cars straight away.

I agree completely, the license tests are fantastic, a real opportunity to have a first hand look at what the new physics are like or how certain cars peform, also not to mention learning racing techniques (at higher level license tests of course) Also, these tests are what keep GT unique and more immersive than other racing sims to date.

-> While getting certain license are an integral part of GT and I highly doubt that it will change. Plus it adds to the unique GT experience. :)

-> What we need is more license-free races in GT Life (Simulation/Gran Turismo Mode), on which I find to be lacking a lot! :indiff:

You can enter a race on any track with any car without a license in GT5. (Family cup in GT4, spot races in earlier GTs)

Just not any major events.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of license tests and I think they are one of the things that makes GT unique. :) It's just that the amount of tests per license has increased with every iteration, with GT1 having just 8 compared to the 17 in GT4.

I do see what you meant with that. Perhaps some of the 1-lap ones can be removed (Some of those were just pointless, the pace car held you up half the time).

The ones that teach you different types of corners, using cars with different drivetrains and power etc. are good though.

Last edited:
EDIT: Didn't mean to double post, when I returned to the homepage it was highlighted, meaning it had new posts. :/ Please delete this post.

Last edited:
Back