I think PD need to rethink the licensing portion of the GT games

  • Thread starter Thread starter A2K78
  • 203 comments
  • 19,489 views
^ Yes I know about those, but GT5 needs more small event races like these with a smaller prizes. Its just not enough.
 
I want more license tests.

I want them harder.

:D
 
^ Sounds like you want me getting stuck with a B-License huh? :p
 
Before I made the switch from ds3 to dfgt I would have agreed with you that the license tests need changed, but since I made the switch the tests help me learn how to play with the wheel very quickly. I think they are a great learning tool for people, maybe a little overkill, but in this case I feel too much is better than too little.

I will probably be buying a wheel around the time I buy GT5, so the licenses are going to be invaluable in getting used to it :)
 
I know of many casual gamers who are put off by the license tests and also dislike the way you cannot progress into certain events without having them.

I think that they should be there but should NOT be needed to use any part of the games later events and races. They do get slightly annoying after a while and turn into a chore, there should only be as many as GT4 Prologue had for example.

Robin.

THat's what puts of 99% of all my friends that played GT games. It even put me off when I was younger.
 
I will probably be buying a wheel around the time I buy GT5, so the licenses are going to be invaluable in getting used to it :)

It is, I was terrible before I decided to redo the licenses in gt4, and now I'm easily faster than I was with the ds2/3. If it wasn't for the licenses I might have just packed the wheel up and decided to resell it.
 
Haha, not really :)

Bronzes are achievable to anybody, even if you can't pass them, there is "leaf" license pass for every category since GT4.

But, as avid GT player I really want more licenses, more mission races, more one lap magic races, even introduction of some kind of Great Driver Challenge races for every circuit as was done in F355 Challenge game for PS2.

Those kind of races represents the pinnacle of GT series and philosophy and I really would like to see it expanded and made more life-like and harder to make the accomplishment sweeter. Nothing else :)
 
Haha, not really :)

Bronzes are achievable to anybody, even if you can't pass them, there is "leaf" license pass for every category since GT4.

But, as avid GT player I really want more licenses, more mission races, more one lap magic races, even introduction of some kind of Great Driver Challenge races for every circuit as was done in F355 Challenge game for PS2.

Those kind of races represents the pinnacle of GT series and philosophy and I really would like to see it expanded and made more life-like and harder to make the accomplishment sweeter. Nothing else :)

I understand completely.
 
I think they where one best parts of the GT experience. Until you completed a certain series of tests, you couldn't enter specific races,
it was that feeling of accomplishment, that you earned the right to drive in those series.

The Viper at Laguna Seca's corkscrew in GT2 was always a challenge.

I'm expecting more test than in GT4. :)
 
I think they where one best parts of the GT experience. Until you completed a certain series of tests, you couldn't enter specific races,
it was that feeling of accomplishment, that you earned the right to drive in those series.

The Viper at Laguna Seca's corkscrew in GT2 was always a challenge.

I'm expecting more test than in GT4. :)

One sony rep said they have TUTORIALS for NASCAR. Wonder if that's different from the license tests or he just miss spoke.
 
-> I for one liked Licenses, but not Driving Missions. :grumpy:
 
How about the most difficult sections of tracks for lessons in each kind of car configuration? Like taking the Uphill esses at Eiger in a Citroen and then doing it in a Dodge Ram.
 
Haha, not really :)

Bronzes are achievable to anybody, even if you can't pass them, there is "leaf" license pass for every category since GT4.

But, as avid GT player I really want more licenses, more mission races, more one lap magic races, even introduction of some kind of Great Driver Challenge races for every circuit as was done in F355 Challenge game for PS2.

Those kind of races represents the pinnacle of GT series and philosophy and I really would like to see it expanded and made more life-like and harder to make the accomplishment sweeter. Nothing else :)

Yep, more of them please.

I like them so much I don't even start racing before acquiring the S license :lol:

Besides, even the "unnecessary" ones you won't be facing in a real race, like driving in circles and slalom, are actually there to teach you car control, so they do have a very important purpose.
 
I enjoy the license test, to a point. I think there were a few too many in GT4. 10 - 12 seems about right to me. I usually bronze one or 2, go race a bit and come back and try to get silvers and bronze the next test. I occasionally can get a gold but I have never gotten all golds. The challenges in GTPSP were nice, but they weren't true license tests because you didn't get anything for completing them (besides some credits). After that I knew I would really miss the license test if they were not there.
 
Perhaps some of the 1-lap ones can be removed (Some of those were just pointless, the pace car held you up half the time).
The biggest challenge in most of those tests was to avoid hitting the pace car when it braked too early for a corner! :lol:
 
-> I for one liked Licenses, but not Driving Missions. :grumpy:

Oh I agree with this too, the missions were a total pain.

Edit to quote Dave SZ "It even put me off when I was younger". Me too.'Til I realised it was teaching me how to improve to a high level GT'er.
 
Last edited:
Some guys are saying licenses put them off. Let me tell you my experiences:

When I first got GT1, I bought a car, messed around in the Sunday cup, just winning races, saving up for cars etc. But first, I had to do the license tests. The B license was fairly easy, but took a good few hours to complete (Being one of the first racing games I had ever played - bar Need for Speed, Formula One and Ridge Racer, I found it quite difficult). But then it got to the A license.

I remember one particular test, the Supra RZ at Grand Valley. I kept trying to do that for about 3 days. Then I remember next time I got home from school my Dad had been playing it. He completed that test that I had tried and failed to complete :banghead: He said it took him about 100 tries, but he did it. That annoyed me. But it was fun and very challenging, and definitely improved my skills.

I then remember a couple of months down the line, My mate and I said we should each try and complete all the licenses in gold (On our seperate saves). I completed both the A license and the IA license all golds quite easily, but I wanted that Dodge concept car from completing the B-licenses. He completed the B-licenses before me :mad: That one at Deep Forest, turn 1 with the Honda CRX caught me out. I did not complete that test at gold until I returned to have another go, in February of this year. How long is that... 13-14 years?

They were always one of the most challenging parts of the game. Something I found way more tedious were the one-make races where the cars were slow and/or not very fun to drive (They don't always go hand in hand), and the prize money only returned about 1/5 of the car's original cost. There were many of these in GT4. They required you to invest a great deal of time and credits into something that was not fun at all, but merely a chore. These are the sort of races i only ever did once. These are the reason why I will never max my A-spec points, because I find it an infernal bore to compete in a lot of these.
 
Last edited:
License tests are good. Leave them be.

Well nobody is saying get rid of the license test, but rather get rid of the irrelevant parts of the license test e.g. its bloated with so much useless crap, stuff you even barely uses in the game.

As for the Driving Missions, I actually liked them because they actually allowed to really put the skills you learned in the licnese test to real use, kinda like what
 
What I really hope (and miss in GT5P) is that the pro physics will bring more money or better price cars...

In GT5P it was senseless to race in pro mode if you only wan´t to win the race... Only after getting gold everywhere and get bored I played the most races in pro mode...

There must be better rewards for pro physics racers... also in the license tests!
 
What I really hope (and miss in GT5P) is that the pro physics will bring more money or better price cars...

In GT5P it was senseless to race in pro mode if you only wan´t to win the race... Only after getting gold everywhere and get bored I played the most races in pro mode...

There must be better rewards for pro physics racers... also in the license tests!

There should be an incentive to complete the game on professional physics.

Not cars or anything like that, but some sort of trophy or reward. Or maybe, if A-spec points make a return, Professional physics could yield a higher amount than the same race in the same car etc. on standard physics.
 
I hope they don't change the licensing for the game. I liked it how it was, and it made me a much better driver. If I was racing a certain course, and couldn't win, then I'd head to a license test on that track and do it over and over. It's skill building. I remember GT4's Super License. I silvered it, and I felt great. But then I wanted gold. I wanted that Model T. Now. It took me a week for all golds, except I completed 14 golds in one day. What gives? The MOTUL Z at Suzuka and the 190E at the Nordschleife. I actually did it, and felt like a level up :D. I love license tests, and I couldn't play without them.
 
As long as there aren't anymore Nurburgring style tests I'm fine :)
 
I hope they don't change the licensing for the game. I liked it how it was, and it made me a much better driver. If I was racing a certain course, and couldn't win, then I'd head to a license test on that track and do it over and over. It's skill building. I remember GT4's Super License. I silvered it, and I felt great. But then I wanted gold. I wanted that Model T. Now. It took me a week for all golds, except I completed 14 golds in one day. What gives? The MOTUL Z at Suzuka and the 190E at the Nordschleife. I actually did it, and felt like a level up :D. I love license tests, and I couldn't play without them.
I hear you, I also finally golded the S-Licence a couple months ago and got the T-Ford. Out of all the licenses, I probably enjoyed doing that one the most. :)
 
Robin.
I know of many casual gamers who are put off by the license tests and also dislike the way you cannot progress into certain events without having them.

I think that they should be there but should NOT be needed to use any part of the games later events and races. They do get slightly annoying after a while and turn into a chore, there should only be as many as GT4 Prologue had for example.

Robin.
If people want an easy ride they can always set the difficulty low and only aim for bronze licences to progress. However, if you want to race an international-class race, you should have to qualify just like the rest of us.

Taking your approach they might as well just give us the game fully unlocked with all cars and tacks available. Whatever happened to people needing to put effort into progressing through games?
 
this is going to be the 1st GT game that im going to have a wheel for... so those tests are really gonna help me out...

and the only reason i didnt like the tests was because, if you didn't have the needed license then you couldn't race in some of the races... which was annoying and i do agree it felt like they were way too many test in whole.
 
I'd like to see it become a bit more forgiving on certain tracks like the Nurburgring. Yes its designed to teach you to drive, but running a couple of wheels on the dirt near the finish should not mean you have to start all over again.
 
From early on the license tests were one of a number of aspects i really hoped would make it to GT5 without any steps backward. From gamescon it seems we got some kind of confirmation that they would make the transition (awesome... i'm a fan). Only thing i have to worry about now is "at the same quantity/quality". Hopefully no less then GT4.

Yes.. i'm sorry to those that don't like them or think they are to numerous. I really liked the challenge of them! I also much rather license tests and a-spec points than any PS3 "trophies" or whatever they are. That has always been such a lame attempt at gamerscore IMO. Granted i don'tp lay games on my PS3 and only bought it for GT5. But still... the trophies aspect seems so crap i hope PD stay with internal achievements as they are done more professionally and mean more due ot not being "dumbed down".
 
I think the license tests are a good idea, but I really don't like being forced to run them with ASM and traction control on, thats just silly if I'm never going to use either in game. They should at least give us the option.
 
I used a cd from codejunkies to cheat my way through the licenses. I don't care much for the licenses although they are a part of the gameplay.
If I buy a race game, I want all the cars and tracks to be available from the beginning.

After I got all the licenses through cheating (only cheated when I got really frustrated that I couldn't get gold. All the other tests were done without cheating), I re-did the licenses without cheating to get gold without cheating. I wanted to see if I was able to get gold without cheating, afterall, I'm a perfectionist and a winners type. I did get all the gold medals without cheating, after I cheated. Does that make any sense? :p:

If PD should implement a feature that you can choose for unlocking everything through making a choice in the menu, I wouldn't hestitate to use that choice. I would still try to get gold on every license test though, simply because it's there. But I would be able to start playing, hotlapping from the beginning with the cars I like and on the tracks I like.
Also, if this choice would be available or cheat codes would be available, I can do every test without being frustrated, without stress. I have to avoid stress at all costs due to my illness.

It's my opinion that the license are a part of GT, it's part of the game play and it's part of what makes GT so good.
 
Back