Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123

Mercedes-Benz SL73 AMG '95

SL73.JPG

Engine V12 48 valves

Displacement 7291 cc

Power 517hp @ 5500 rpm

Performance 0-100 km/h in 4.80 s​

The R129 has always been my favorite of the SL-Class, even more so than the Gullwing. It was the absolute last of the old-guard Mercedes automobiles before the bean counters wrested control of the company away from the engineers, so they were built to last 1 million miles before even requiring a tune-up. It was even built on a shortened version of what was the absolute peak of Mercedes-Benz's traditional, gloriously gratuitous engineering, the W124 platform; which means the only way you will ever break anything on it is if you crash it into a bus. So it was like a W124 convertible, only with newer, more powerful and larger engines. And they looked fantastic. A normal 500SL, or even a 300SL, would easily be a Cool.

Then AMG got their hands on a few of them and put some Pagani Zonda engines in them (yes, I know I have that backwards). It was like a more contemporary, convertible version of the AMG Hammer from the mid 80's. Only with a 150 more horsepower. Absolutely, fantastically Sub-Zero.

Last edited:
This was an SL when it was still cool to drive an SL. It was also the most powerful V12 at the time. This exact same engine was also later used in the Pagani Zonda!!!

Sub-Zero.

This is a beast. I'd love one if I could afford it, the insurance and the gas.

Sub-Zero

It is a fast, competent car. Nice, beautiful Mercedes-Benz. Sweet engine, later used in the high performance Pagani Zonda. This thing nearly bathes in liquid nitrogen.

For that, Sub-Zero.

One of the world's greatest sleeper cars. To the untrained eye, it looked like any regular SL w/ big 5-spoke wheels, unbeknownst that a 7.3L V12 lurked underneath the hood. A relative on my ex.'s side also had one of these a few years ago in Europe & seemed pretty happy with the car during our only conversation together.

Sub-Zero for me.

I've voted Sub-Zero because, hey, 7.3L.

Although it's almost knocked down to cool, because the R230 after it is still one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

Mercs don't excite me that much. But this one does have the Mercedes V12 that was used in other cars like the CLK-GTR, All the Pagani Zondas and the Chrysler ME412.

The looks make it Sub Zero. The engine also makes it Sub Zero. But the weight puts even the latest big Mercs in shame. 2320.125kg/5115lbs of Seriously Uncool.. I give it cool.

Let's see...more displacement than the 426/427 displacement class in 'merican cars (it'd be a 445ci mill)...and it was made in the last 20 years. and in Germany. and it's not a V8.

Yeah, sure, I'll sub-zero it....

Last edited:
Open youtube, find a video of this car, put the volume to maximum. There you go, Sub-Zero-ness on it's true essence.

But the weight puts even the latest big Mercs in shame. 2320.125kg/5115lbs of Seriously Uncool.. I give it cool.
Um... no?
2320 is the GVWR. The unladen weight is 2050. Still heavy, but well in line with the AMG versions of the R230 SL.

Last edited:
I had to vote uncool because where I am from, if you drive any sort of coupe/convertible Mercedes you are either considered a homosexual (not that is anything wrong with that) or a rich housewife. I love that generation of Mercedes cars though and that engine is amazing.

There isn't even an option cold enough on that poll. This goes beyond the DB9 fridge. I love SL's almost more than anything else but this is the one I'd buy over any other. It's just brilliant.

It gets a Meh from me. Too many people put AMG badges on their c200 or e320 and the SL was no different to having that kind of treatement.

Second have fun explaining to every person that your engine was later put into a Pagani Zonda. Problem is most of those people wont even know what a Pagani Zonda is.

One of the world's greatest sleeper cars. To the untrained eye, it looked like any regular SL w/ big 5-spoke wheels, unbeknownst that a 7.3L V12 lurked underneath the hood.

This 👍

SUB-ZERO

Second have fun explaining to every person that your engine was later put into a Pagani Zonda. Problem is most of those people wont even know what a Pagani Zonda is.
I think in this day & age, (car) people will know what the Pagani Zonda is & not the SL73, so people will probably be more amazed when you tell them, "My engine is the one Pagani put in their cars".
2cents.gif

The R129 has always been my favorite of the SL-Class, even more so than the Gullwing. It was the absolute last of the old-guard Mercedes automobiles before the bean counters wrested control of the company away from the engineers, so they were built to last 1 million miles before even requiring a tune-up. It was even built on a shortened version of what was the absolute peak of Mercedes-Benz's traditional, gloriously gratuitous engineering, the W124 platform; which means the only way you will ever break anything on it is if you crash it into a bus. So it was like a W124 convertible, only with newer, more powerful and larger engines. And they looked fantastic. A normal 500SL, or even a 300SL, would easily be a Cool.

Then AMG got their hands on a few of them and put some Pagani Zonda engines in them (yes, I know I have that backwards). It was like a more contemporary, convertible version of the AMG Hammer from the mid 80's. Only with a 150 more horsepower. Absolutely, fantastically Sub-Zero.

This x 100000

Subzero, this goes directly to Kelvin's icebox imo.

Back