Engine: 4.3L V6 turbo @ "13.8"psi
Figures: 280hp, 350ft-lb torque, 3422lbs
Performance: 0-60 in 4.5s, 35/65 AWD, 4x ABS
Original MSRP: $27,465
Buy it now for: $9,000, good condition
Total production run: 2997
gmc-syclone.jpg

Last edited:
Like a Typhoon, only cooler because it was even less practical and faster.

Also, in before "Waah Hp/L" and "Waah its a truck."

Seriously uncool, it's not a Ranger. JK.

A Truck with a turbo, that's crazy! I wonder if I could get a Turbo on to my Tundra. Turbocharged V8, that's crazier!

Anyways, Sub Zero.

0-60 time...4.5 secs in a pick-up truck by anyones standards is quick. Cool.

Just to say, that is almost as good as a 5.0L V8 Mustang. Amazing. I vote cool, 1. because, well, yeah, it's fast, but why? and 2. it just doesn't hit my sub-zero meter. But it is one cool bad-ass truck.

Just to say, that is almost as good as a 5.0L V8 Mustang. Amazing. I vote cool, 1. because, well, yeah, it's fast, but why? and 2. it just doesn't hit my sub-zero meter. But it is one cool bad-ass truck.

Why? Why not?

The Syclone, Typhoon, Grand National/TTA, and F150 Lightning were the most insane things to come out of Detroit in a long while, and to an extent still are.

Why? Why not?

The Syclone, Typhoon, Grand National/TTA, and F150 Lightning were the most insane things to come out of Detroit in a long while, and to an extent still are.

Well, it is a great truck, that is very competitive by todays standards (and willbe for a while), but something about it would just make me look and say cool. If I saw one on the road, I'd be like, hmm. Cool truck. Sub-zero for me, is something that I myself will want to gaze at endlessly. While it is very good, it only hits cool with me. And to me, the Lightning was like a car in a truck skin.

Well, it is a great truck, that is very competitive by todays standards (and willbe for a while), but something about it would just make me look and say cool. If I saw one on the road, I'd be like, hmm. Cool truck. Sub-zero for me, is something that I myself will want to gaze at endlessly. While it is very good, it only hits cool with me. And to me, the Lightning was like a car in a truck skin.

Honestly this is closer to a car in a truck skin than a Lightning; the Lightning maintained most of the hauling ability of the normal trucks (and in the case of the first-gen actually had a stronger frame).

Small truck with great power for its time. Pretty much a sleeper on the street if you pull up to anyone who knows nothing about them. Its not going to get girls to take their clothes off, but theres some girls who love going fast and get wet over trucks, so this one gets a cool.

Cool.

Cool, it's an insane truck, however the fact most people have no idea what makes it special it's only cool.

I don't know if this is sub zero cool, but it's definitely at least cool because this truck went like stink way before it was "cool" to have a truck that outran sports cars.

Sub-Zero, it out ran Ferrari's of it's day for a lot less. It's like the GT-R of the truck world too, only it's cooler then a GT-R because isn't worshipped by Japan-fans and GT fanboys. I've known a few people to have Sy's and they really do move like a stabbed rat, and with proper tires they handle surprisingly well for a pickup.

Honestly I would love to own either one of these or a Typhoon and if one ever came up for a decent price I probably would have to pull the trigger on it. The sports trucks of today suck, this is where it's at. I never understand why they didn't do something similar with the 2nd gen Sonoma's or the Canyon.

Dammit, I didn't think my vote through. The idea of the truck got to me before the reality of the truck did, and so I got carried away.

For the record, I'm changing my vote to Uncool.

The truck is not a cool thing to drive. The idea is sweet, a pickup with a gnarly turbo, AWD, go-fast bits, collector car, and all that. But in practice it's just not cool. First of all it looks like a Sonoma to anyone who doesn't know why it's so special, and they automatically think "I'm surprised the guy didn't crash it last winter". It doesn't have a rumblygrumbly V8 so girls won't notice it. The people who drive them are all old and won't step on the gas for GM collector car reasons. If you drove it through a university campus the only people who would notice would be "bros". And that's just not cool. He'd initiate conversation of trucks, off-roading, and show you his Wrangler. Might even invite to beer pong later that night.

*note: Bros are often confused with rednecks where I'm from. Bros are distinguishable by young-adult age and have usually are in or have attempted college, at least, but often drive the same kind of trucks as rednecks. Typically Wranglers. Top down.

Last edited:
*note: Bros are often confused with rednecks where I'm from. Bros are distinguishable by young-adult age and have usually are in or have attempted college, at least, but often drive the same kind of trucks as rednecks. Typically Wranglers. Top down.
Also plays lots of Halo and Madden. Around here they usually own V6 Mustangs with factory stripe packages instead of Wranglers, though.

Most of the Bros I see are running the Chevy Z71 extended cabs with straight pipes, but that's beside the point! :P
Plus, all the Wranglers with the top down are actually wheeled, also beside the point.

Would you really want a girl that only goes for the loud V8? That's a Bro chick! ;)

Edit: Guess most affordable performance cars are uncool, since most people wouldn't know why they're special. Of course, if you try to make them distinguishable enough (read: flashy), then people complain that they're too brash.

Crazy idea, power, speed, rarity...all good.

Truck...meh.

Overall: mid to low level cool. There are many, many things cooler than this, and many, many things worse.

Subzero. The Syclone is a monster. I prefer this over the Typhoon actually as well. They run fast stock, modded they can easily hang with SBC's. Just watch and listen to this. That turbo is insane...

Why? Why not?

+1 The second gen Lightning is godly stupid fast with a pulley. Though mod for mod the Syclone will win with that AWD.

What do you call a Terminator Cobra with a bed? This:

I always loved that whine that 2nd Gen Lightnings make when you absolutely pound on them. Its a shame that Chevy's return salvo was basically a Silverado with the engine from the Escalade in it (though Dodge's was pretty nice...). Especially after the awesome that was the SS 454.

Back