The drift guide for beginners.

• Thread starter Kaspa
  • 43 comments
I feel we could start this thread and potentially help a lot of the new drifters out there joining this website, there's constant threads being made asking questions all the time, so maybe we should answer all those questions and give information/help to newer members, in one thread.

It would be easier for newer members to access, if they need help they just simply visit this thread for help, where they can read/ask for help.

"I can't control my car" - I suppose you're new to drifting, and have gone for a fast car eh? Well, try a slower car, I'd recommend something around 350bhp, don't jump straight into buying everything for it, try it stock and work on what the car needs first.

"I can't initiate into a drift" - I'd recommend making the suspension more soft, and also make sure you don't have grippy tyres on, that can be a b1tch.

"I can't maintain a drift" - From my little experience, a huge factor to me is tapping the throttle on certain cars, as you can end up having too much power going to the wheels and end up in the grass.

I'd also say another important factor is getting the right balance of counter steer, and adjusting how much you counter in different stages whilst in the drift.

"I'm new to drifting and using a FGT.." STOP. You're jumping ahead too fast my friend, start using a controller to begin with, just to understand everything behind drifting. It would be a lot more wiser to start drifting with a wheel, with a fair bit of knowledge.
(This is of-course in my opinion, others can disagree.)

The list of things that may help you:
- Drift Bible
- Settings thread
- Drift Nights, events meets. (Practice with others).

I hope other people can contribute to this thread and help newer members, all good points will be added to the thread, and if anything I have said in this thread which you feel is wrong, then please be constructive to why, and I will remove it.

I'm a beginner myself, just happen to have learnt a few things quickly, so don't expect me to be some drift pro, I'm just here giving you pointers on what helped me the most when I originally started.

I feel we are somewhat hostile to new members, they need our help, and I think this would be the best way to help them in my opinion.

The way i see it, there is alot of info on this site and alot of the people on here are noob friendly. there are very few here that ive seen that are sarcastic when it comes to a noob asking questions. i can understand why tho when different people ask the same questions over and over but hey, thats how a forum works.

not to plug anything but the guys at evergreen have helped the most with my drifting with the tips they gave.

in every game (GRID, forza 3, etc) i can drift like a pro using the dualshock but i got GT5 and i bought the logitech GT wheel and now i can't drift. i won't lie i haven't tried that hard i would mainly just try it here and there when i'm so far ahead of the field in a race. i've gone through this site and got some base setups to start with and i'm going to start really trying and messing with the suspension today. can't wait

in every game (GRID, forza 3, etc) i can drift like a pro using the dualshock but i got GT5 and i bought the logitech GT wheel and now i can't drift. i won't lie i haven't tried that hard i would mainly just try it here and there when i'm so far ahead of the field in a race. i've gone through this site and got some base setups to start with and i'm going to start really trying and messing with the suspension today. can't wait

I had the same problem you're having my friend. I got GT5 prologue, and didn't know how to maintain a slide with my steering wheel. What I suggest to you is start off with a Nissan GT-R (yes I know, it's AWD), put comfort hard tires on it, get a center differential, set the torque split to 30/70 and go slide around. The more comfortable you get with the 30/70, start using 20/80 and then 10/90. After that, use a RWD car...Something easy like a NISMO 270R or a TOM's Chaser to start with. Hope this helps! 👍

Hey, I just began drifting. Started out with tailhappy MR cars such as the Lancia Stratos. I drift that car full-stock a while ago.

Just for a beginner like me, how's 7715 drift points on the Eiger Nordwand Short Track (sunny)? I did sector mode, by the way. And drifting MR cars is fun :D

"I'm new to drifting and using a FGT.." STOP. You're jumping ahead too fast my friend, start using a controller to begin with, just to understand everything behind drifting. It would be a lot more wiser to start drifting with a wheel, with a fair bit of knowledge.
(This is of-course in my opinion, others can disagree.[/QUOTE]

I dont agree with this as the controller is WAY different than a wheel and the feel is extremely different, as theres no feel with a controller.
On about everything else i think your right.
But for starting with a controler, isnt much good. And if you buy a s13 your gonna have to tune it as it doesnt have near enough power.

S13 has plenty of power to learn how to drift, lock up the differential and put comfort tires on it. You're probably not going to be linking full tracks with it, but if you can't drift it at all then you just need to keep working at it.

I do agree that if you're going to drift with a wheel you should start out with a wheel. Once you get used to the feel of a wheel you'll find that the force feedback makes the car much easier to handle, you get a lot of balance and traction information through the wheel.

S13 has plenty of power to learn how to drift, lock up the differential and put comfort tires on it. You're probably not going to be linking full tracks with it, but if you can't drift it at all then you just need to keep working at it.

I do agree that if you're going to drift with a wheel you should start out with a wheel. Once you get used to the feel of a wheel you'll find that the force feedback makes the car much easier to handle, you get a lot of balance and traction information through the wheel.

And stock drifting becomes a ease!

I think you should add to the top a list like this...

Requirements for drifting
Comfort hard tyres

Everything else IMO is trivial ;)

MrDinosaw94
I think you should add to the top a list like this...

Requirements for drifting
Comfort hard tyres

Everything else IMO is trivial ;)

What is it with the Comfort Hard tire guys and their insistence that They are the only Tire choice of Pro level Drifters? I get guys calling me Noob and junk because I use sport softs. My thing is, I'm beating most people who are using Comfort Tires in the Turns with better angle and faster entry and exit speeds.

What is it with the Comfort Hard tire guys and their insistence that They are the only Tire choice of Pro level Drifters? I get guys calling me Noob and junk because I use sport softs. My thing is, I'm beating most people who are using Comfort Tires in the Turns with better angle and faster entry and exit speeds.

Have any videos of you drifting sport-softs?

OT: I think the thread is a good idea if it helps out newer drifters.

Adavicro
Have any videos of you drifting sport-softs?

OT: I think the thread is a good idea if it helps out newer drifters.

Plenty mostly all in my S14 onTsukuba. I'll try and get them uploaded, but I'll do you one better, I'll invite you anytime to come Drift with me. SKOT_FREE is my psn. I can't get on right now because I got trapped Downloading SOCOM 4 Beta that's 1561,27 MB file and I'm only on 361 mb after 45 min.

Plenty mostly all in my S14 onTsukuba. I'll try and get them uploaded, but I'll do you one better, I'll invite you anytime to come Drift with me. SKOT_FREE is my psn. I can't get on right now because I got trapped Downloading SOCOM 4 Beta that's 1561,27 MB file and I'm only on 361 mb after 45 min.

I wasnt doubting that you can drift those tires, I was just thinking it woulf make following slower cars difficult and holding longer drifts more of a handful. I mainly use those tires for racing/cruising but everyone likes different car setups. 👍

Adavicro
I wasnt doubting that you can drift those tires, I was just thinking it woulf make following slower cars difficult and holding longer drifts more of a handful. I mainly use those tires for racing/cruising but everyone likes different car setups. 👍

Oh no I was just inviting you to drift anytime to share tips and techniques. Actually i have more control with Sport Softs.....But this depends on The HP I'm running. If the car is bone stock I can run with Comforts, but as I tune the car, I move up to sport soft. I may have to move up to race on my 600 HP Monaro because it's so heavy.

Thanks for this area, it makes it less intimidating to keep trying to drift with constructive advice.

My biggest issue is that I over correct once I get some angle and end up snapping back in the other direction, can anyone offer any advice on how to unlearn this?

Hey, I just began drifting. Started out with tailhappy MR cars such as the Lancia Stratos. I drift that car full-stock a while ago.

Just for a beginner like me, how's 7715 drift points on the Eiger Nordwand Short Track (sunny)? I did sector mode, by the way. And drifting MR cars is fun :D

Have you tried the Dome Zero? It's a great MR drifter.

Thanks for this area, it makes it less intimidating to keep trying to drift with constructive advice.

My biggest issue is that I over correct once I get some angle and end up snapping back in the other direction, can anyone offer any advice on how to unlearn this?

Try to keep the wheels spinning, so stay on the throttle (slightly) instead of abruptly lifting off. If the rear wheels get grip, it causes the "snapping back".

Alternatively you can reduce (rear)downforce, try less grippy tyres, etc. but I'm guessing it's more of an technique issue ;)

Okay, I have a question for you guys. This thread seems like a reasonable place to put it.

I've been drifting for a few days now with the DFGT. I can initiate and hold a slide fine now. My issue is linking corners together. Is there a secret to doing this, such as tapping the E-brake or something? Like on the Eiger short track, I can't seem to link the first two corners together for the life of me. I'm using a 400BHP Supra if that makes any difference.

i find MR cars easiest to use i have worked my way up from slow cars to a farriri f430 and after 200,000 dollars in suspension driveline and weight reduction i find it the best drifter i have ever had example score nurbering gp/f 22,379pts

Everyone has different ideas on how to start, this thread isn't gonna work...
There's been a few of these already and the one thing we could agree is that its probably best to start in an S13 on CH (and someone's gonna disagree with me now probably)
We worked that out a few days after GT5 was out so I'm guessing it's probably right;)

EDIT: SKOT-FREE you might wanna watch this ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-vcnU4L-_c&feature=channel_video_title

Since I'm a beginner, I'll post my progress - maybe it will be helpful:

I'm running all aids off except ABS at 1, and toying with Active Steering Off and at Mild. I've found that each car really has a different entry speed for every corner so try various speeds, starting with 40 mph and going up. I say that because some people like to go in fast but have good control on throttle/steering. I personally haven't gotten to that level so I tend to go into corners slower than most.

The setting you'll find on this site will help but in terms of how to drift, you really just need to try multiple cars and tracks until you learn naturally.

For an example, I have a fully tuned Spirit RX-7 (stage 2 turbo) that I had been using to drift at Tsukuba. Was so happy to get my 10K trophy last week. Last night, I put Comfort softs and Intake/Exhaust upgrades on a TVR 350 and hit 12,000 on Tsukuba on my second try.

Just keep trying. I am seeing a difference in my drifting coming along and its pretty fun.

Acording to that video sports hard are: More speed, less angle, less smoke, drifts. And comfort hards are: Less speed, more angle, more smoke, and more tire spinning fun lol :dopey:

i like seeing how other people drift i NEVER dissagree or dissaprove of ones drifting like the person there style is different

Try to keep the wheels spinning, so stay on the throttle (slightly) instead of abruptly lifting off. If the rear wheels get grip, it causes the "snapping back".

Alternatively you can reduce (rear)downforce, try less grippy tyres, etc. but I'm guessing it's more of an technique issue ;)

Thanks for that it is definitely technique, I have similar issues no matter what car or tyres and I am still sticking to normal cars(370z, monaro, corvette). I can get it right some times but I'm pretty inconsistent, I either spear off, loop it or just slide to the inside slowly when I get it together though it is still without much angle. I'll concentrate on my throttle pedal. Thanks again.

You can carry more speed with better tyres and spin less.

ran the Grand Valley speedway seasonal last night and got a score of 9938. Prolly coulda got into the 10K range but I got tired and went to bed.

Used a bone-stock Viper SRT, just changed to Comforts. No adjustments whatsoever - like I started drifting it off the showroom floor. A few observations:

-Comfort mediums front/hards on the rear seemed easier to initiate a a drift but I had to be much more careful on the throttle. Hard/hard was harder to initiate but I could be much more liberal with the throttle (and my scores were higher). Is that how the tires are supposed to perform?
-Watched the CroationRacer's vid (top score) - he obviously had a good tune but his camber was WAY out on his tires. Because of this, he was able to get sideways at much slower speeds. I know that speed isn't as big a factor in scoring as it should be and that being closer to the line gives you more points. My questions is: is entry angle or tire smoke more important in terms of scoring?

Also hit 13K on Tsukuba last night for the first time - the numbers keep getting higher!

I had the same problem you're having my friend. I got GT5 prologue, and didn't know how to maintain a slide with my steering wheel. What I suggest to you is start off with a Nissan GT-R (yes I know, it's AWD), put comfort hard tires on it, get a center differential, set the torque split to 30/70 and go slide around. The more comfortable you get with the 30/70, start using 20/80 and then 10/90. After that, use a RWD car...Something easy like a NISMO 270R or a TOM's Chaser to start with. Hope this helps! 👍

Audi R8 as well. Centre Diff 20/80. Front Sport soft and rear with Sport hard. :)

there's no secret... put in the hours on a fairly standard rwd car.... that's it. don't mess about with settings all the time keep the car reacting the same all the time and you will learn better. every standard rwd car in the game can do decent skids.

also 4wd is wack and teaches you **** all for real rwd drifting. makes you lazy, doesn't require particuarly accurate steering inputs and you can power out of anything with no real chance of spinning.

Back