BlackIce49
First Ever GTP Team Drift Battle on GT5
Team NEMESIS vs Team ACN

Regulations:
- RWD Cars
- 410 HP
- Comfort Hard Tires

Rules:
- Only 2 cars at a time, one from each team.
- Lead car always has the right of way!
- There will be 2 session for each pair. (So one team leads first session, then the other team leads the next)
- Only one car per driver.
- Cars will be inspected by the judges and other drivers to make sure they meet the regulations.
- Chase car cannot pass the leading car unless the lead car is fully off the track.
- If the chase car hits the leading car and the leading car's drift line is altered (gets pushed higher up on the track then intended or goes off the track) because of this hit, the chase car automatically loses.
- If the leading car goes completely off the track, (all 4 tires are NOT on the track) the leading car automatically loses.
- After both cars make it to the finish line, it is up to the judges to decide who preformed better.
- Only judges can use mics during the race. Judges will talk to each other and commentate the battle going around the track so the other drivers know what is going on. Ex. (1) has taken the lead while (2) spins out into the grass, but then (2) smashes into the wall too hard and (1) is able to catch up. Something along those lines. Judging should be fairly fun for this event.

Score Sheet:
Judges, you may copy and paste this and just fill it out for every driver as they go.
-------------------------------
For Single Drift Session Only
Driver:
Team:
Speed: [-/25]
Angle: [-/30]
Line: [-/30]
Style: [-/15]

Every time two or more tires go off the track, 3 points will be taken off from style. One tire is allowed off the track because some people use grass to initiate a drift.
Overall Score: [-/200] (Scores will be out of 200 because there are 2 judges)
-------------------------------
[0]---------[100]-------[200]
Horrible - Average - Perfect

The team with the most wins is declared the winner of that track.

Tracks:
Tsukuba
The start line is where the actual start line is. The finish line is at the end of the last 2nd turn that is right before the long straight.

Suzuka East
The start line is where pit lane ends. Finish line is at the end of the last turn.

Sudden Death Track : Special Stage 5
I chose this track because not all members from both teams are very good on this track. Encouragement and practice would strengthen your chances in winning. Start line is at the actual start line. Finish line is at the end of the last turn.

All drift events will be done in a race so that way they can be recorded and reviewed.

Schedule:
1. Once all drivers are in, as well as the judges, the schedule and the rules will be explain.
2. 5 minute shakedown session.
3. Cars line up.
4. Cars go one at a time through the whole track. Judges will score every driver individually based on angle, speed, and style.
5. Best drivers from each team will be the first to tandem. One team will lead this round. Followed by the second best, third best, and fourth best.
6. Drivers will tandem again with the same opposing driver but this time the leading car is switched.
7. Judges will announce scores after each run as well as declare which team is currently in the lead.
8. Track is changed and #2 through #7 will be repeated.
9. If both teams have 1 win after both tracks are finished, They will move onto sudden death on Special Stage 5.
10. Winner will be declared, results and pictures will be posted. If anyone has a capture card, I can send you the replays to record for me and I will mesh all the footage together to make it an interesting video.

Judges:
TwinTurboCH
---------- (undecided)
Both judges cannot be in either of the teams competing. Outside judges only! Need one more to volunteer.

Server Info:
Server Name: NEM - ACN Battle
Slots Available: 8 slots for drivers, 2 for judges, 2 for spectators, 12 in total
Host: BlackIce49
Time: Sunday, January 9th, 2011: 6PM GMT (1PM EST, 10AM PST)
Connect time is 30 minutes before.

If a driver is lagging, he will be asked to leave and rejoin.

Drivers:
Team NEMESIS:
BlackIce49 (confirmed)
Rovered78 (confirmed)
REDDAWN_77 (confirmed)
fcpmarcus (confirmed)

Team ACN:
GODfreyGT5 (confirmed)
KotKas (confirmed)
ps3dan101 (confirmed)
Knight_spirit (confirmed)

Check back for constant updates!

Last edited:
Winner: Team NEMESIS

Overview:
OK where to start? This battle was close from the start. Turned out that the 2 lowest qualifiers ended up in the finals to determine a winner. Myself as well as GODfreyGT5 battled it off in the finals. We had to do a total of 6 runs to get a winner. The whole event did have a number of technical difficulties which resulted in lose by default. Our judge, TwinTurboCH, had a real hard time deciding the winners throughout our tandem battles. The whole battle was really close. Team ACN and Team NEMESIS are truly the top drift teams on this site. Both ACN and NEMESIS encourage any and all to challenge us and anyone else. A possible league will start soon for all GTP Drift Teams!

Honorable mentions are:
kotkas who kept all his battles real close, but unfortunately, couldn't get on the track from a constant error (even after changing the host and restarting his PS3).
REDDAWN and fcpmarcus who if it wasn't for them NEMESIS would have probably lost.
ps3dan101 also had connection issues so Rovered did not get much of a chance to battle but when he did, he preformed very well! Proud of you man!
Knight_spirit managed to snag a win when facing me at the start. You gave your team a very good burst from the start.
GODfreyGT5 and myself were the lowest qualifying pair but which our equal skill level, we managed to put on a good show.
TwinTurboCH lent use his time for a very long and restless battle. Thank you for your time and effort to make this battle possible. We might need you for next time if your up for it.
And DGambino1, although he wasn't in the battle at all, he watched over us, cheering us on. I am proud to have him as my leader!

Our schedule was altered a bit but that didn't matter because we still managed to have a great event.

Screenshots will be added, I only have a few from the final battle but others have saved all the races into one. Once they are posted here, I will add them all into one post! Captions will be included to tell you what was happening.

Last edited:
Why would touching be an issue as long as it doesn't interfere with anything that matters as a reference for judging..

If one of the judges have a capture card then yes there will be videos.

The reason I included minor bumps is because small bumps can cause spin-outs, but I may change a few things in the point system if it is proven to be worthless or over-the-top.

I would probably change that..
Creates a paranoia, stops good drivers from riding on other drivers doors, may result in uninteresting rounds if they take it the wrong way.

I'll look into it and see what everyone else thinks. Thanks for the input though, might make the battle a bit more interesting.

Well, it would be nice to see a stream of the first battle. Unfortunately, my capture card isn't working with 7.

Well I guess if anyone who wants to broadcast this event, they can, just let me know. I can reserve a spectator spot for you. DGambino1 has the other spectator slot.

Wow Ice... This is very thorough...

However, we should cut down the number of tracks for the first battle. This will put more pressure on the drivers to perform.

I'm thinking 2 tracks would be better... The two tracks (chosen out of the 5 listed) are picked by the judges at the time of the event (more suspense).

Other than that - looks great!!

lol this makes me want to join in the fun

Would you like to be a judge?

However, we should cut down the number of tracks for the first battle. This will put more pressure on the drivers to perform.

I'm thinking 2 tracks would be better... The two tracks (chosen out of the 5 listed) are picked by the judges at the time of the event (more suspense).

Good idea.

Okay, couple of things...

I think we should use sectors of the tracks, rather than the whole track. Also, only use 2 or 3 rather than 5. I'm also not a fan of the points system, it doesn't seem to take into account any of the main judging points of drifting, or am i missing something?

yeah drifting battles is also about who can get closest to the clipping points and who can drift as far out as possible. and the chaser is suppose to get as close to the leader and leader as far away as possible from the chaser..
these are vital points in whos the better in the battle.
also angle is crucial. the one with more angle also gets points for it.
just my 2 cents.

yeah drifting battles is also about who can get closest to the clipping points and who can drift as far out as possible. and the chaser is suppose to get as close to the leader and leader as far away as possible from the chaser..
these are vital points in whos the better in the battle.
also angle is crucial. the one with more angle also gets points for it.
just my 2 cents.

Exactly, except we cant always score proper points for angle, speed, and smoke. I will add something about clipping points and a map to show the track and the clipping points. All judges can say is, "He had good angle and speed." but both drivers can have that so you can really put a point system on angle, speed, and smoke.

My point is we don't even need a points system, thats what the judges are for...
They decide who wins each round, and decide who wins overall for the battle. We do that four times and the team with the most wins, wins!

These are real rules and are most likely what the judges will be using,

http://www.drifting.com/article.php?threadid=3866&goto=newpost&show_Title

Here at Go Drift, we get asked about judging at drift events all the time. Drifting is a subjective sport, true, but there has been a push lately to justify judging decisions with specific numerical judging guidelines for fans and competitors to understand what makes a winning drift.

The finer points of drifting detailed below represent the american approach to judging, which is very similar to what the Japanese judges look for in their competitions. However, the point systems for each of these areas can differ and should not be seen as hard rules for scoring drifting competitions.

Speed/Driving Line
The faster a driver goes through a corner the better. This applies to entry and exit speeds as well as speed maintained through the drift. Although speed guns are not used at drifting competitions, the use of tandem runs makes an advantage in speed more obvious.

Driving line refers to the path the car travels through the corner. Judges prefer to see a driver take a tight line around a corner, putting the nose of the car as close as possible to the apex of the turn. Getting the back end of the car close to the outside of a turn also demonstrates car control and can score the driver addtional points.

Angle
Driving angle of the vehicle is the angle of rotation of the vehicle relative to the direction of its travel. Basically this means that the farther the back end of the car comes around (without losing control), the more points a driver would score in this category. Angle also refers to the length of time a drift is maintained as well as the average angle of the vehicle during the turn. This means that getting the back end to come around for a short period of time won't score the driver many points, even if the angle of rotation was significant.

Showmanship
This is the most subjective area of scoring in drifting events, and it's value relative to the other aspects of drifting varies from judge to judge and competition to competition.

Basically, this category refers to the driving style of each driver but can also include considerations for the vehicle. The judges in D1 are accomplished drivers in their own right and are familiar with all of the vehicles used on the circuit. They are able to use this knowledge to isolate driver skill from handling characteristics of the vehicle when judging events.

The most universal component of this category is smoke. The more tire smoke generated by a vehicle while drifting the more points a driver will score.

This category previously included the driver sticking hands/legs out the window or opening the door in a turn, but D1 now requires windows to be rolled up and prohibits door opening, demonstrating a shift in emphasis to more technical aspects of driving.

Tandem Runs
It is important to discuss tandem runs because the judging changes and tandem runs are used in later rounds to ultimately decide who wins an event.
In tandem runs, each driver of the pair is given a turn at being the lead vehicle. The chase driver must then prove to the judges that he or she is better able to drift by getting as close to the lead driver or better yet passing the lead car in a turn. Conversely, if the lead driver can pull away from the chase driver, he or she can score additional points.

Tandem runs also demonstrate which of the two drivers can perform better under pressure. Drivers often use intimidation to throw off the other driver causing them to lose a drift.

When a driver spins out on a tandem run, he or she loses that run. In case of contact, the driver causing the contact is ruled to have lost the run (usually the chase driver).

By running close together, judges can easily compare the aspects of scoring for solo runs discussed above. Numerical scores aren't as important as judges can simply award a winner based on comparative judgments.

Its important to understand that the concepts discussed in this article are general guidelines for scoring drift events meant to educate the general audience. They do not provide a guarantee of results and should not be used to compare to results from drift competitions. Drifting is still a subjective competition and the judges at an event are the final authority.

The reason I have the point system in place is to ensure everyone race clean and not drive each other off the road. If one player on a team spins out another player from the other team and passes that will hurt his/her team. So this point system will encourage both teams to work together instead of just "one on one, I win" basis.

Please read those rules, if the person spins out they dont get a score there opponent gets the win , but one on one is a drift battle you have to out drift your opponent if you touch its ok but if the touch results in an off its a 10/0 ;)

In <ACN> we all drive very cleanly and fairly.

If we cause a crash we will admit to it.

We're not just little kids that smash other cars off the track at every opportunity.

We want a fair competition as much as we want to win!

Chris.

Great job taking charge Ice! Very clean. Nemesis is no way like a classroom of little children either, respect everywhere. Im very excited!
except how will the time difference effect it?

When I get home, I will make a few changes that will make both parties happy. But I do want to keep the point system in. It is a bit more forgiving then just being out completely. Even real judges follow a point system, it will be their choice to decide if the light bump that happened (an example by the way), deserves a deduction or not.

I think its great what you guys are doing its about time we had a good game to do this with. Dont worry about the crap about the points outsiders are trying to advise you as long as the 2 teams battling understand the rules and are happy to compete go for it.
Good on you guys have fun and would love to see some footage.👍👍

Dont worry about the crap about the points outsiders are trying to advise you as long as the 2 teams battling understand the rules and are happy to compete go for it.

It's the other team that doesn't really like the idea of the point system I have created.

I like the effort you've gone to its just the rules i cant get my head round there not following the typical point scoring systems of ,speed, angle, distance to clipping point, and closeness to other car ;)

I wanted to but there is no proper way to score it because I want to cancel out the possibility of the judges being biased and favouriting one side. In a way the judges are more like officials in this case.

I will be posting overhead track pictures with starting points, finish lines, and all the clipping points.

Back