Engine Overhauls Investigated.

• Thread starter RogsR34UK
  • 47 comments
England
Near Oxford, UK
RogsR35UK
RogsR34UK
I did initially ask about this in the GT5 Q & A section. I proceeded to do some further investigation and thought my findings might be of general interest.

I checked out a number of cars and came to conclusion that the Engine Overhaul is a thinly disguised Oil Change with maybe a few more horsepower "thrown in" to confuse the unwary. The amount of horsepower after the Overhaul is dependent on mileage, a fact I was none too impressed with.

Here are the few results I have so far, I suppose I ought to investigate some other cars though I suspect it would not highlight anything different.

The approximate percentages are the increase over Quoted HP for the car. This is after doing an Oil Change on a new car, or an Overhaul for cars with mileage on them.

0 miles - +2.1%
9,7xx miles - +4.9%
29,428 miles - +4.3%
34,320 miles - +4%
57,xxx miles - +2.5%
221,776 miles - 0%

I need to do a comparison with just an Oil Change on high mileage cars.

With an oil change my FGT's HP was 1.2% less than with an Overhaul.

In my experience when I first received a car I didn't need to change the oil that frequently but when the miles started stacking up I needed to change the oil more frequently. I haven't done an engine overhaul on any of my cars yet but I'm assuming when I do an engine overhaul the HP will stay in the appropriate range longer.

Pretty good find! I think that it is for realism purposes as cars lose hp after driving alot.

For some reason, my X1 (now traded) had around 1500 miles and had more HP than my friend's with 350 miles.. I did the Engine Overhaul at around 1000 miles.

I use an X1 to grind B-spec which now has 12,000 miles on it.
I change the oil after every event and it won't go beyond 1475bhp now, whereas after running in, it got up to around 1583bhp (I think).

Haven't planned to rebuild it, Im just gonna let my drivers slowly destroy the thing.

I was expecting an Engine Overhaul to produce a new engine, but it obviously gives you the maximum available horsepower for the mileage of your car. If the percentage improvement for an Engine Overhaul over an Oil Change is consistently only a 1.2% increase then it is not really worth the ridiculous amount of money you pay for it.

It is more a Car Service where you car is returned to peak condition for its miles. Would you pay 500,000 (or whatever) to get your real car serviced?

ok your looking at it the wrong way with a engine overhaul.
e.g lets take a standard none modded engine with a base BHP of 400, now we all know that changing the oil increases the BHP by between 5-15 BHP roughly

now with a engine overhaul.
lets say the standard engine overhaul with in GT is a full replacement.

what is the benefits of a engine overhaul if we compare the same make and year and model at different points of it's lifespan.
vehicle (a) with 100kms pass the breakin period to a vehicle (b) with 1000kms passed the break in point

to the untrained eye the first thing you would have noticed is the drop in BHP and the first thing most people would do is change the oil which is a fast and cheap way to restore your BHP which is'nt that bad on Vehicle (a) and vehicle (b).

saddly to say Vehicle (b) with the 1000kms on the clock even tho vehicle (a) and (b) both show the same BHP you would notices that Vehicle (B) would have less torque response, revs would be effected also and a few other effects.

so in all vehicle (B) without a engine overhaul that shows it having the same 400 BHP as Vehicle (A) would be slightly slower.

The breakeven point where an Oil Change gives the same as an Engine Overhaul is around 2200 miles (c. 3500 Km).

Just did a comparison test on a Toyota Vitz Turbo (the best option for the Yaris/Vitz series). The car had done 25,000 miles (40,000 Km). As purchased it had less than 130 HP. The HP quoted in the Description was 147 HP. An Oil Change gives it 136 HP. An Engine Overhaul gives it 142 HP. This is still well short of the Quoted figure.I have noticed some oddities when comparing Oil Change and Engine Overhaul to the Quoted Horsepower, but over that minimum mileage, the Engine Overhaul is the better Option for getting the most Horsepower.

It is a real pity the Engine Overhaul does not produce consistent results regardless of mileage. For the amount of money you pay I would have expected a new engine!

Another of the little quirks that GT5 uses to annoy us (well me anyway). It is things like this that make me want to use the Birthday Exploit so that I can get a car with a new engine!

Ok, I personally don't like how they implemented overhauls and power loss over mileage. But, I can't complain because it is realistic and that's what I want. Ever since I learned of this, I try to keep my most precious cars in the best condition and still be able to race them without power loss.

In my quest, I've noticed the game will let you do an Oil Change after every *single* race. I *started* doing this in my GT-R Spec-V, my bob's grinding car, after a fresh overhaul at 2,000 miles. I put *started* because I didn't finish, after 4 or 5 races I got too lazy :indiff:

I did notice that during that span of 5 or so races, my BHP never went down. I know it wasn't that many races, but it makes me curious. It would be realistic for changing your oil more often to help stop the power loss. Just like in real life.

Will somebody do some testing on the effect that frequency of oil changes has on power loss?

If it does make a difference, I'll be one happy duck :sly:

Did you lot know you can keep upping a cars bhp by doing an oil change then trading it. By this I mean I bought a f10 cahnged oil up to 699hp sent it to my other account (without using it) and then changed the oil again on my second account then it was 705bhp then sent it to my third account and changed oil again and it's now at 715bhp.

I'm not sure how many times you can do this but as the car has 0 miles it is seen as new on each psn account so you can change the oil. I'm not sure how many times you can do this it may be possible to keep doing it forever who knows you could have a 2000bhp veyron or x1 after a while.

Right, so previously somebody posted a thread about how Engine/Chassis Overhaul was a big waste of Cr's. Well it IS expensive and people often refrain from the purchase (myself included) though I have just tweaked around with a few cars (stock) and the results were, well, ASTONISHING!

TEST #1: Turbo 2002

I had just won the DTM Championship and recieved a brand new 2002 Turbo. Thing was I already owned one (stock). Now first things first, I went and did an oil change on both. The Pre-owned one came out with just 163BHP post Oil change. The New one came out with 170BHP dead. Now that got me thinking, obviously this pre-owned version has suffered sum serious wear and tear. So off I went to purchase a engine rebuild. Alas! The results were better than I thought! 172BHP! So not only did it regain power it originally lost, it also gained a lil bit extra. :)

TEST #2: AMG E55

Purchased USED offcourse and after oil change got 466BHP.
Purchased Engine Overhaul and recieved 491BHP!

I'm not to sure how the power jump is mesured (though I'm going to take a stab at it and say it's on the same lines as the Oil Change itself) but it's evident it makes a BIG difference after all.

So from now on, when you hit up GT Auto and see that Engine Overhaul logo just after your pride and joy recieved its Oil change, be considerate to your ride. ;)

Maybe the theory is that the engine overhaul uses modern technology which gets some more power out of an older car?

...already well-known...

when you buy at ucd dealership you have to overhaul everything, yes...realistic.
AMG E55 isn't exactly old. and it gained almost 30 BHP.

yeah, because the engine is used. A new car can have a overused engine too.

Have you tried this on any new Premo cars from the dealership with no miles? Doing engine overhaul on used cars with quite some mileage is kind of a given..... Still very mysterious though!

Of course, but it is just a possible blanket explanation.

Oh sorry dude. Didn't know what you meant by the last post :P

D_slabic. I couldn't find any post related to this that had proper results on it.

well wouldn't a ucd already have those gained hp from the breakin. drive the new 2002 for a while and you'll see some hp gain.

Have you tried this on any new Premo cars from the dealership with no miles? Doing engine overhaul on used cars with quite some mileage is kind of a given..... Still very mysterious though!

Why should a new car(Premium) need an engine overhaul?

Maybe the theory is that the engine overhaul uses modern technology which gets some more power out of an older car?

Hmm more like handwork rebuild is always diffrent. See Nissan GTR each of them is little diffrent in therm of max HP

So from now on, when you hit up GT Auto and see that Engine Overhaul logo just after your pride and joy recieved its Oil change, be considerate to your ride. ;)
The engine overhaul has got nothing to do with the oil change.

There are three major factor to the fluctuating power of a car's engine.
1) The oil.
2) Engine wear.
3) Engine break in.

The oil you get from GTAuto icnreases the car's power. It will worsen as you put milage on the car, making oil changes neccesary.

The engine wear causes the car to lose power after some considerable milage has been put on it, which is often the case for newly bough cars from the UCD. An engine rebuilt only makes sense if your car doesn't reach it's peak performance after an oil change.

Engine break in increases the power a new engine puts out as mileage is put on it for a while. Engine break in is quite iften not finished before the car run 150 to 200 miles. That's the case with your BMW 2002s. The new one isn't broken in completely yet. The rebuilt old one is, so after the rebuild, it's at peak power.

So, if you want to maintain a cars peak power:
Do the oil change. Drive it until the HP figure doesn't increase anymore. Note the HP figure afterwards.
Whenever the HP figure drops, do and oil change. if you can't get back to the peak power, that's when you should consider rebuilding the engine.

There was something on the tuner forum about that lately.

Adrenaline (a reviewer) found out that his RUF was not so good once he applied the tuner's settings and the tuners didnt really recognize his car so they start arguing wiht each others. Adrenaline then realize or got ask i'm not sure if he has done the chassis reinforcement overhaul, he didnt and as soon as he did the car behavior become like the tuner said. So yeah both have impact on high mileage car. What would be interesting to test is when exactly your car is loosing chassis integrity/power. After how many km etc..

Back