Engine Overhauls Investigated.

• Thread starter RogsR34UK
  • 47 comments
There was something on the tuner forum about that lately.

Adrenaline (a reviewer) found out that his RUF was not so good once he applied the tuner's settings and the tuners didnt really recognize his car so they start arguing wiht each others. Adrenaline then realize or got ask i'm not sure if he has done the chassis reinforcement overhaul, he didnt and as soon as he did the car behavior become like the tuner said. So yeah both have impact on high mileage car. What would be interesting to test is when exactly your car is loosing chassis integrity/power. After how many km etc..

it´s not about km. Just start and cancel 5 races to get new UCD material.
after these 5 starts without moving the car one inch, you can restore body & engine, tested with a freshly restored Escudo. :ouch:

AMG E55 isn't exactly old. and it gained almost 30 BHP.

Well the E55 came out around 2002 so its about 9 years old therefore, if you bought it in the Used car dealership you would assume it's not pumping the full horsepower as when new so you need an engine overhaul to bring it back up to speed. There was a debate about the E55s pumping between 476hp and 496hp when new stock. SL55 had the same story. It seemed like some models came out more powerful than others and I guess as long as they don't pump out less hp than advertised, it was okay. So GT5 seems right on the money on this one.

Plus if any of you watched some of the Top Gear episodes where they had old cars, I remember them commenting about the loss of horsepower as cars got old and weren't properly maintained. Some lost up to 50% of their horsepower if I remember correctly. That said newer cars have much better tolerances than old ones so the loss shouldn't be that great unless you really abuse your car (lack of oil changes etc.)

Here's the problem iv'e encountered, my R89C was tuned to 1193bhp ...after a while it dropped to 999bhp, literally all of a sudden. I then changed the oil and had the engine overhauled but it only went back up to 1093... thats a loss of 100bhp, i know people are experiencing the same with the X1 and the 88CV.

I have to overhaul the engine in my favourte car, an elise every few weeks it seems. You can really notice the acceleration hit and the improvement afterwords.

Brainfade, I believe the "problem" in your case is you just have to run the car in again, it should slowly increase

So from now on, when you hit up GT Auto and see that Engine Overhaul logo just after your pride and joy recieved its Oil change, be considerate to your ride. ;)

Just don't do both at the same time. If you do the overhaul, the oil change isn't necessary. You can do the oil change before the overhaul but the overhaul replaces the oil anyway. If you do the overhaul and then try changing the oil, it won't let you because the overhaul included the oil change.

it´s not about km. Just start and cancel 5 races to get new UCD material.
after these 5 starts without moving the car one inch, you can restore body & engine, tested with a freshly restored Escudo. :ouch:

Perhaps there was really strong wind out on the track when it was waiting to start! LOL. Or maybe this game doesn't go anywhere near as deep as we'd like or expect it to.

The obvious way which I explained in another thread is take a car such as a NASCAR which all reach the same HP. 892bhp(in the measurements I use) is the max power of them and is achieved after 200 miles. Simple...

Just taking the car onto the track or even starting will start the wear process and yes you will be able to do an overhaul but it has no real benefit at that stage.

Wait until your car has around 500+ miles on it with no changes and you'll notice the difference.

after the engine ouverhaul, the car stops to throw flames when you gear them up... I wonder it will take a bit for them to do it again...

I did an engine rebuild on my trusty Subaru Imreza Super Touring Car yesterday, and whilst I did not notice an increase in BHP, I did come tyo the conclusion that the engines revs were more responsive than they had been before the engine rebuild. 👍

500,000 for 30 hp?! no thanks

anyway thanks for your time trying this out, it is good to know.

Instead of thinking of it as adding BHP, think instead of it as removing seconds from your fastest lap time.

For instance. I can do a 6.25.xxx around the Nordschliefe in a 527bhp/1030kg Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car, thats the fastest I have managed to get out of the car, which I'm begginnning to believe is runnig at peak performance. Yesterday, I set a 6.20.xxx lap with a 564bhp/1090kg RM'd Corvette Z06.

There is less than 40bhp difference between both cars, the Corvette is actually heavier, and there is also the question about displacement, but trust me, every single HP increase makes the difference. 👍

Ok, quick question about the Peugeot 908. Who has one? Have you had to do an engine overhaul on it yet, and at what mileage did you do it at?

Here's what I been testing and have tested:
Car: ZR1 RM fully modded with all the extra trimmings.
Used it on Enduro SuZuKa 9 Hour Endurance.
I changed oil, Re-built the engine and done the Chassis Resto.
used ZR1 from B-Specs Level 33~36.
from 905HP it dropped 853HP to now 725HP.

Test Track: High Speed Ring.
at 905HP I can do a fastest lap of 56.635.
at 853HP my fastest Lap is 57.796.
Now at 775HP I can still do 58.308.

Handling wise [Rigidity]: Not much different whether at 905HP to 853HP and 725HP. I can still do my fastest lap as clean and as perfect as possible... BTW My fastest lap is always on the 2nd lap of the three lap race Super Cars Challenge High Speed Ring.

Gonna continue destroying my ZR1 and see how low it will go by the time I'm B-Spec level 40.

~To Be Continued...

Last edited:
i dont think you actually can do an overhaul on a new car, when you try to do it it says something like the engine doesnt need it yet.

on a side note, does anyone know where the break in period is for engines? my focus has about 1000miles and keep getting more and more powerfull.

I checked out a number of cars and came to conclusion that the Engine Overhaul is a thinly disguised Oil Change with maybe a few more horsepower "thrown in" to confuse the unwary. The amount of horsepower after the Overhaul is dependent on mileage, a fact I was none too impressed with.

You're definitely right, I posted about this a while ago -> https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4583641#post4583641

Engine rebuilds do not fully restore the cars original power after either x miles OR x number of rebuilds :grumpy:

It's not realistic and is just another area where the game is flawed...

Back