Ford GT '06 fixed !

• Thread starter fumes
  • 47 comments
CptTitan1972
That's it !!

I've found the fault to the Ford GT '06 on GT5.
Yes, I said fault.
I would say this will fix the Ford GT '05 in GT5 as well. Maybe even the race spec Ford GTs.
No amount of suspension or LSD tuning would have fixed the understeer (push) on mid corner acceleration, unless the fault was fixed first.

Before I continue, I’d just like to introduce myself.
I’m Fumes.
I have had just over 20years experience tuning race cars. And I have been tuning cars in Polyphony’s GT series since the original GT game.
This is my first post and first tune here, but it’s far from being my first tune.
My usual haunt is GT Vault. Where you can find a large database of GT3 and GT4 tunes. However, as GT5 is a different beast, the site owner is not able to support GT5 tunes. Setting up the existing site to capture GT5 tunes was something too difficult.

So let’s visit the Ford GT in GT5.
The problem with this car was the huge understeering experienced under acceleration out of corners.
I first saw this in the Seasonal events using a Ford GT ’06 at Trial Mountain. There were a few clues to the fault, which has been bugging me for as long as Seasonal event bonus race 3 has been out.

First clue, as we all know, understeering in mid corner acceleration.
Second clue, no wheel lockups during hard braking.
Third clue, no change to understeering even if springs were at 5.0 front and 18.0 back, or reversed.
Fourth clue, no apparent change in handling when dampers and Anti Roll Bars were set at extremes.

Something is afoot here, I thought, and it smells like Electronic Assist !!!
And there you have it. What is the first thing we keep preaching about ASM? Turn it off !
However, PD have arsed it the wrong way around for the Ford GT'06.
For the Ford GT06, you WANT to turn ASM ON !!!!
Before you shout sacrilege or blasphemy ! Try my setup.
Now the car starts behaving like electronic assist are actually off.
We start to get lock ups under hard braking, the car reacts to tuning changes, and most importantly, it now accelerates out of mid corners.

So any other setup you see that asks you to turn ASM off on a Ford GT'06, you will know to steer clear off straight away.

Without further ado, here is my Ford GT'06 setup.

Max Power: 876HP/6900rpm
Max Torque: 750ft-lb/4900rpm
Weight: 1203kg

Body/Chassis:
- Purchase everything
- Aerodynamic Adjustment: 0/40 (Add Rear Spoiler)

Engine:
- ECU Tuning
- Stage 3 (optional, less hp on this car will perform even better with this setup)

Intake:
- everything

Exhaust:
- everything

Turbo Kits:
- Supercharger

Transmission:
- Top Speed: 236mph or 380kph

Drivetrain:
- everything
- Adjustable LSD
-- Initial Torque: 5
-- Accel Sensitivity: 5
-- Braking Sensitivity: 35

Suspension:
- Ride Adjustment: -5/-5
- Spring Rate: 12.6/12.0
- Dampers (Extension): 3/8
- Dampers (Compression): 5/6
- Anti-Roll Bars: 1/6
- Camber Angle (-): 3.0/1.0
- Toe Angle: +0.20/0.00

Brakes:
- Brake Balance: 6/6

ASM ON !!! (<-- very important! If you change nothing else, change this).
TCS 1
ABS 1

Racing Soft tires are required to tame this car with 867bhp.
If you have a car with less HP, this setup would work even better.

Cheers,
Fumes.
(Comments welcomed, but keep it civilized please).

FUMES!

I will be following you Everywhere you go! hahaha

I've used PLENTY of your tunes off GTVault! I Praise You!

Thanks for the Tune, I'll test and report back! :)

I noticed that problem... thanks for the help as this was really 🤬 me off. It's good to see a new name every now & again, but a respected tuner? You just made my day 👍👍👍👍👍

I will also be following you religiously :bowdown:

Smileys are fun ;)

Mid engine cars are much harder to control then FR. The new LFA is an FR set up because it is to appeal to the masses, and its easier to control it then if it was a mid engine. So its not just this mid engine that needs ASM, others like the Elise benefit from it greatly too. And its not a fault with the game, its how the car really is like. You think the developer of GT would let them put it out with the Ford GT screwed up? Its his favorite car! He owns 2!

Hi guys,

I'm not that advanced in the game, but I played with that car. Do you need to tune it to win the races or is it just for fun?
At least to win the seasonal events 4, you don't need to tune it that much, especially if you have tuned the engine to that level, straight lines are sufficient :-)

However, thanks for the advice! I played with the car stock, and it was sufficient for me, but when I'll have time, I'll start enjoying these kind of mods.

Thank you!

well for as long as I expected that understeer was not a problem but I will try to pay attention to that but mostly my gt just slings the tail out and hauls behind when cornering lol

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I drive the gt regular and race version both without asm and have no problems. I refuse to use asm as well as anyone else should. Asm reminds me of forza where every car practically drives the same with aids on, takes the fun and uniqueness of individual cars away. Imo anyway.

I used your tune but I did not use the ASM, it worked fine. The car handles better than some other cars. It is not the best handling but it is ok. I easily won the special event race.

It's about time you popped up over here Fumes. I used many of your tunes for GT4 that you've posted over at gtvault. Since Kerr doesn't have any immediate plans for updating gtvault for GT5, have you put any thought into creating your own tuning garage over here? You'd be a welcomed addition I think. I have an '06 GT in my garage, so I'll defintiely be putting this tune through the paces as soon as I can.

... So its not just this mid engine that needs ASM, others like the Elise benefit from it greatly too. And its not a fault with the game, its how the car really is like.

Except you can tune it out for the Elise. ASM = off on the Elise really is Off.
And I have a setup with my Elise that dial out the rear loosing traction on hard braking. I have not seen any tuners here dial with that problem.
And no, putting more brake bias to the rear is NOT a solution.
A car will never stop as fast with brake bias to the rear, not to mention the stability issues it introduces.
People that do that have a lack of understanding of physics of a car under hard braking.

You think the developer of GT would let them put it out with the Ford GT screwed up? Its his favorite car! He owns 2!

That's no reason for the Ford GT being screwed up. Does/Did the developer do the testing of each car? Or does he just over see the entire project and entrusting these low level tasks to his team?
At the end of the day, GT5 ASM implementation is turning on or off of one digit in the car's code. ASM 1 = On, ASM 0 = Off. The developer trusted the programmers to get this right.

I have tested the Ford GT extensively in GT5. Conclusion by me = It's broken with ASM off.
With ASM on, the car starts behaving like electronic assist is actually off.

I knew there would be skepticism.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I drive the gt regular and race version both without asm and have no problems. I refuse to use asm as well as anyone else should. Asm reminds me of forza where every car practically drives the same with aids on, takes the fun and uniqueness of individual cars away. Imo anyway.
To each there own. I don't mind of you are unwilling to try what I have tested for hours. Continue using ASM = off on the Ford GT and continue deluding yourself into thinking the code programmers got ASM right way around.
Note: it is wrong for this car ONLY. ASM is the wrong way around on the Ford GT only (that I have found so far).
Apart from that, I agree with you and everyone else - Turn ASM off as the first thing before you start tuning. Otherwise ASM will nullify any change you make.
When you say you have no problems, I refuse to believe you have not experienced the severe understeering under hard acceleration out of a corner. - That IS a problem.
Sure the car feels stable, sure it does not oversteer like crazy ... that's because ASM is actually silently ON ... doing it's thing in the background correcting handling mistakes ... without you knowing because you think you have ASM = off (It says so in the Driving Options).

For all the skeptics, do your own tests on the Ford GT first.
Brake Hard, Accelerate out of corners hard. Anything that would make a car unstable. Now turn ASM on/off and observe the behavior. With ASM on, it should suppress this instability. Now see what you have in Driving Options.

Last edited:
Appreciate the help however, for someone who has been tuning for 20 years you forgot thee most important part of the car. The LSD can fix most any issue and you didn't even mention it. For a car such as this you might want to try lowering the initial torque setting... Then you can remain pure and not have to resort to electronic training wheels!

Here is a great post https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166129

Last edited:
ok i admit it....Im an idiot! My apologies!! I think i'm going to crawl in a corner and shut my mouth...Talk about feelin like a fool:dunce:

Good tune FUMES...I did try it with the total pkg minus the ASM and it still was great...Time for me to go to reading class, then the take the foot out of my mouth class... 💡

Fumes, what are your lap times on Trial Mountain with this setup? I am currently using a setup of my own 686 hp 1203kg and running about 8/10ths pace with 1:25.5xx per lap. ASM off, traction control set at 1, ABS set at 1. Any others using his tune?

Last edited:
You my friend are a tuning legend.

Come by the site and visit us some time, it would be an honor to have you as a member.👍

Last edited:
Fumes: I don't care how well respected you are by half the people here who have used your tunes in the past...

You're completely wrong here. I just took my personal Ford GT to Trial Mountain, bone stock save for Sports Soft tires. I ran a 1:29.938 with ASM off (as in actually off in the menu) and a 1:33.461 with it on. Care to wager a guess why I was so much slower with the ASM turned on via the menu? BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY IS ON. Get on the throttle, system detects understeer, it nails the brakes and makes the front tuck in a bit by way of slowing the car down. Entry, same sort of deal... Detects oversteer, it makes it push a bit, detects understeer, tucks back in, etc etc etc.

When I first read this I thought to myself "Well... A big, heavy, long MR car NOT understeering a bit on-throttle sounds more like electronic aids than it doing so...". And so it is.

The GT in stock form is slightly unstable on entry and very mildly understeery on exit (though the tail will come out with too much throttle). Turning ASM on will put even more stress on the front tires under braking as it will apply EVEN MORE braking force to them, hit the brakes on corner exit to tuck the nose back in line, etc etc. And where you would once have a bit of oversteer? Nope, it hits the brakes for that too. Suddenly the car is completely docile and completely neutered in terms of pace. True or false... When accelerating out of a corner, not sliding at all, you should be accelerating, correct? Then why, with ASM turned on, have I seen the car accelerate, nose dive a bit, lose 2mph, and go back to accelerating?

Also...
Fumes
First clue, as we all know, understeering in mid corner acceleration.
Second clue, no wheel lockups during hard braking.

1. Natural for any vehicle with a heavy rearward weight bias aside from when the rear tires eventually get overstressed, at which point you get oversteer.
2. Wheel lockup won't happen with ABS on. Overstressing, sure (and it does), but not lockup. ABS off, ASM off, it will happily lock all four tires.

Your 3rd and 4th clues will be dissected after I actually start tuning the car.

Suggestion for the OP, buy a completely new Ford GT and see if the problem persists...
and/or try a new one on someone else ps3... since the opinions here seem so opposite..
the theory being that your car data is physically corrupted on the disk... (can this even happen?)

Will test out the tune shortly though..

Edit: Initial test, offline practice, Nurburgring, Stock, Racing Hard... no difference between ASM on or off, while on the little white light does flash frequently.. the car felt the same to me... my lap times were only a second apart (7:14) with similar uncleanliness (minor offtracks..)

Edit#2: Online, Nurb, ASM on, no particular difference... ASM off and my bumper is hanging off and I give up at half lap...
Conclusion, none really... since I didn't duplicate the test conditions, my effort really is not helpful at all :(

Last edited:
kprawny1 is right,I've been following you for years on the vault,to bad Kerr doesn't want to stick around,loved that sight,anyway,I'll be following you here that's for sure,you do know how to tune!!!! Glad to see you here... Nice tune too

I NEVER had a problem with the Ford GT, in this game or the last. STOCK settings are fine for this car. Turn everything off except ABS at 1. I added the front extension in the body parts column as well as the 'lip'. That might affect how the front end bites. It might not say downforce in the settings for front, but i run that well, no oversteer or understeer problems that can't be corrected. You need to have the right tires. Too much power and not enough tire will make any car not drive right.

I NEVER had a problem with the Ford GT, in this game or the last. STOCK settings are fine for this car. Turn everything off except ABS at 1. I added the front extension in the body parts column as well as the 'lip'. That might affect how the front end bites. It might not say downforce in the settings for front, but i run that well, no oversteer or understeer problems that can't be corrected. You need to have the right tires. Too much power and not enough tire will make any car not drive right.

I second that. This setup made me heaps slower. Even the stock suspension feels way better for me. I just love the sloppy stock suspension on the GT, because I drive it on the 'ring like a maniac. With your settings I lose wayyyy to much contact with the road on all those bumps.

Sorry, but this tune is busted, at least for me on the 'ring.

Sorry, but this tune is busted, at least for me on the 'ring.

This setup is not tuned for the 'ring.
You'll need a completely different setup for that track. Suspension needs to be way softer for that track.
You have proved nothing in this respect.

For everyone that says "I have never had a problem with the Ford GT" using ASM = off in the menu, you have fallen into the ASM trap.

You need to understand what ASM does.
It smooths out driver and car instabilities. So yes, of course you have not experienced problems yet. ASM was actually on all the time.

Really turn ASM off and a 800+ hp car will exhibit instabilities.

Testing a Stock car proves nothing either. There is not enough power to cause the car into any drastic instability. Of course not, you have ASM on as well. Running a stock car with racing tires? Bah, you mask the problem even further. You'll never experience understeer or oversteer in a stock car riding on slicks.

Take an FF honda civic for example. Stock car with Sports soft, now does this understeer as much as a tricked up 280+hp Honda civic on Sports soft tires? Of course it doesn't a stock honda civic doesn't have enough horsepower to really cause understeering instabilities. And you want to compare a stock Ford GT with a 800+hp version by saying, "My stock car does not have any issues" ?

So go away and upgrade the car with enough power to experience the issue, then try tuning it away, with ASM off and ASM on.

Last edited:
Well i thought i would try and see if there is a difference between ASM on and off as per the OP. Now i only tuned the ecu to stage 1 (Fumes said it should be better with less power) everything else was at its maximum, i also didnt have Traction control on. Other then that it was as the OP stated.

I decided i would do 2 warm-up laps then 5 hotlaps. Now around Trial Mountain with ASM off i got a 1:23.56 (with definite room for improvement). The lap times were falling steadily until i pushed a little to hard on the last lap. With ASM on i got a 1:25.7. And my laps were hit an miss either side of that time were 1:29's.

But what struck me was the feel of the car, with ASM off the car felt natural (well as natural as can be). Sure under hard acceleration it understeered out of the corner. So you adjust your driving to that. But with ASM on you could feel it correcting you when you were pushing hard. It was almost like a see saw affect. Almost to the point of being undriveable. It just didnt feel right to me at all.

On another note at certain corners under hard breaking i could feel the rear end breaking out. Im not a tuner but would that be the Anti-roll bar at the back being high?

Hope this made sense and was of some benefit.

This setup is not tuned for the 'ring.
You'll need a completely different setup for that track. Suspension needs to be way softer for that track.
You have proved nothing in this respect.

My JGTC NSX runs EXTREMELY stiff springs at the Ring. You do not need a softer suspension there. You need properly matched dampers to keep the tires on the road, yes, but you don't need a soft car. I wouldn't call 18.x/17.x spring rates "soft". ;)

For everyone that says "I have never had a problem with the Ford GT" using ASM = off in the menu, you have fallen into the ASM trap.

You need to understand what ASM does.
It smooths out driver and car instabilities. So yes, of course you have not experienced problems yet. ASM was actually on all the time.

That's what it's meant to do, yes.

Really turn ASM off and a 800+ hp car will exhibit instabilities.

Yup.

Testing a Stock car proves nothing either. There is not enough power to cause the car into any drastic instability. Of course not, you have ASM on as well. Running a stock car with racing tires? Bah, you mask the problem even further. You'll never experience understeer or oversteer in a stock car riding on slicks.

Racing tires? I never mentioned racing tires.

That said, the GT I did my testing on wound up running 600hp still on the same tires, still with the same conclusion drawn.

Turning ASM "on" in the menu resulted in ASM acting upon the car. On entry it would detect a bit of understeer, correct for it, find oversteer, correct, etc etc. On exit, where the Ford GT naturally understeers (all MR vehicles will until traction is broken), it would physically hit the brakes and cause a drop in speed.

Please, do tell me, how a car with no electronic aids and 550hp SLOWS DOWN while at FULL THROTTLE without any wheelspin or sliding happening? ASM set to off, car will just understeer slightly unless the rear tires break loose... But continue to accelerate perfectly smoothly. ASM on, it nails the brakes to kerb the understeer sensed by the system and the car decelerates on exit.

Take an FF honda civic for example. Stock car with Sports soft, now does this understeer as much as a tricked up 280+hp Honda civic on Sports soft tires? Of course it doesn't a stock honda civic doesn't have enough horsepower to really cause understeering instabilities. And you want to compare a stock Ford GT with a 800+hp version by saying, "My stock car does not have any issues" ?

So go away and upgrade the car with enough power to experience the issue, then try tuning it away, with ASM off and ASM on.

Never said my stock GT had no issues. It was rather poor to drive, in fact. Understeer, understeer, oversteer when overthrottled, etc etc. But it felt natural.

As for the Civic comparison... What do you define as "tricked up"? My FWDs oversteer on exit. ;)

Methinks someone is too dense to tell what's going on with the car... My Mazda 6's never hit the brakes for me because it was understeering on throttle and it sure as hell doesn't have ASM. ;)

Last edited:
SO I was a ASM skeptic but I tried the tune to the letter. Hopefully I can provide some useful feedback. I did my testing on Laguna Seca.

I could really feel and see a bitey mid corner understeer when trying to put the power down. This was slowing me down a lot. I prefer mild oversteer and am quite a agressive driver.

I also experienced heavy tail waggyness while under heavy braking. This was not comfortable.

I will report back with more testing results!

Cheers for the tune

Back