Limited Slip Differential - Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
itstheDRE4M
The following thread is to help our community understand what an Limited Slip Differential (LSD) does exactly.

Testing involves changing one set of values at a time and then running five or more laps on Tsukuba Circuit. By chaning one set of values and comparing Fastest Lap achieved as well as Average Lap.

First lets start with the car being used for the test.

5439843494_3b06d1cd80_o.jpg

Camaro Z28 RM 69'

565hp
550ft-lbs
1085kg

Aerodynamics- F(20) / R(47)
Transmission- 149mph
Brakes- F(7) / R(4)
Tires- Racing Soft

Ride Height- F(-13) / R(-11)
Spring Rates- F(7.1) / R(7.9)
Extension- F(4) / R(5)
Compression- F(3) / R(4)
Anti-Roll- F(3) / R(5)
Camber- F(2.1) / R(1.9)
Toe- F(-0.21) / R(-0.04)

NOTE: DURING TESTING ALL OF THESE SETTINGS STAYED EXACTLY THE SAME

According to Scaff's tuning guide, the LSD cause / effect are listed below:

Initial Torque Settings
Opening (lower values) Improves the cars manoeuvrability. Reduces the effect of the accel. and decel. LSD settings.
Locking (higher values) Increase the effect of the accel and decel LSD settings up to a point, after which the effect will decrease. Reduces the cars manouverability.

Acceleration Settings
Locking (higher value) Increases traction out of corners by limiting wheel spin. Limits the car’s ability to turn, particularly in tight corners.
Opening (lower value) Reduces traction out of corners by increasing the chances of wheel spin. Improves the car’s ability to turn, particularly in tight corners.

Deceleration Settings

Locking (higher value) Increases stability when decelerating into a corner. Limits the car’s ability to turn.
Opening (lower value) Reduces stability when decelerating into a corner. Improves the car’s ability to turn.

Lets being the testing.

Intial Torque - 5
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 5

---------------------------------------------------------

• Inside tire loses traction on every turn.
  • No problems with under-steer or over-steer.

LSDInsideTire.jpg

Fastest Lap: 0:53.609
Average: 0:53.816

Next test will be to raise the Initial Torque setting from 5 to 25 and leave the Accel and Decel values at 5.

Intial Torque - 25
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 5

• Inside tire loses traction only on the tighter turns.
  • Slight under-steer increase

LSDInsideTire.jpg

Fastest Lap: 0:53.266
Average: 0:53.374

Noticeably faster lap times than our previous 5|5|5 test. Lets keep this going and try an Initial of 50. Remember we are keeping the same Accel and Decel values of 5.

Intial Torque - 50
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 5

• Inside tire still loses traction but quickly regains traction. Barely leaves a visual skid mark.
  • Under-steer is becoming more noticeable.

Fastest Lap: 0:52.826
Average: 0:53.041

My lap times are increasing a lot! We began this test with an Initial of five(5) running a fast lap time of 53.609 and by changing the Initial to 50 we've managed to run a fast lap of 52.826. Since we still have 10more values left we might as well try it, so here we go.

Intial Torque - 60
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 5

• Slight loss in traction only on turns (4) and (8) which are tight hairpins.
  • Under-steer is evident.

Fastest Lap: 0:52.431
Average: 0:52.633

We've hit our fastest lap time yet compared to the beginning of the test. A 0:52.431 is remarkable! we've knocked over a full second off our lap time.

We're done with testing Initial Torque, next is to move on to Acceleration and Deceleration.

So far our fastest lap comes in at 0:52.431 using LSD settings as below
Initial Torque - 60
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 5

Last edited:
Acceleration Settings
Locking (higher value) Increases traction out of corners by limiting wheel spin. Limits the car’s ability to turn, particularly in tight corners.
Opening (lower value) Reduces traction out of corners by increasing the chances of wheel spin. Improves the car’s ability to turn, particularly in tight corners.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know that 5|5|5 gives us from the previous test above. So lets up the 5 to 25 value just as the previous test, but for acceleration only.

Intial Torque - 5
Acceleration - 25
Deceleration - 5

• First signs of OVER-STEER in this testing.
  • Outside tire begins to lose traction.
  • Full throttle can be achieved aggressively.

LSDOutsideTire.jpg

Fastest Lap: 0:52.269
Average: 0:52.601

We've got our fastest lap time yet along with the first signs of over-steer. Lets keep it going and move on with a Acceleration value of 50.

Intial Torque - 5
Acceleration - 50
Deceleration - 5

• Over-Steer increases.
  • Full Throttle - needs to be feathered during corner exit.

LSDOutsideTire.jpg

Fastest Lap: 0:52.162
Average: 0:52.557

Our lap times keep increasing, we've got 10more values left so lets try those real quick.

Intial Torque - 5
Acceleration - 60
Deceleration - 5

• Over-Steer increases.
  • Have to feather the throttle on corner exits.

LSDOutsideTire.jpg

Fastest Lap: 0:52.175
Average: 0:52.545

Slightly slower lap times, but only by about 0.010 of a second. It's possible that while only tuning with Acceleration settings the sweet-spot is somewhere between 25 and 50.

Outside tire losing traction first on corner exits.

This doesn't sound right.. surely in real life this should not happen because when you exit a corner, the weight transfers to the outside rear tire. Surely the tire with the most weight on it shouldn't lose traction, but in this case it does.

Last edited:
Deceleration Settings
Locking (higher value) Increases stability when decelerating into a corner. Limits the car’s ability to turn.
Opening (lower value) Reduces stability when decelerating into a corner. Improves the car’s ability to turn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know that 5|5|5 gives us from the previous test above. So lets up the 5 to 25 value just as the previous test, but for deceleration only.

Intial Torque - 5
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 25

• Inside tire loses traction at all times*
  • Faster entry on corners.
  • Stability during braking increasing.

LSDInsideTire.jpg

Fastest Lap: 0:53.695
Average: 0:53.942

I really didn't expect much since this is a setting that has absolutely nothing to do with grip. But lets increase the values just to see where it takes us.

Intial Torque - 5
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 50

• More Noticeable under-steer.
  • Inside tire loses traction at all times.
  • Stability during corner entry increases.

LSDInsideTire.jpg

Fastest Lap: 0:53.615
Average: 0:53.978

Once again.. I'm not expecting much of a performance increase. My lap times, however, have increased from the previous test. I do believe it's because of the increase in under-steer along with a higher corner entry speed.

Intial Torque - 5
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 60

• Under-Steer very noticeable.
  • Inside tire still loses traction around every corner.
  • Stability while entering corners is much greater than when the test started.

Fastest Lap: 0:53.574
Average: 0:53.981

Lap times are slightly faster than the very beginning of this testing using lowest values possible (5/5/5). The reason behind this is ( in my opinion ) is that our corner entry speed has increased but with the increase in under-steer is has limited our speed around apex and exit.

Last edited:
Interesting. Your results so far support my theory that ive been using to test and adjust my cars(my theory is a little different from scaff's explanation). Also seems to be exactly how PD explain the settings. Will be watching this.

Good work taking up the serious LSD research, I used to drop some back during my... I'm still too paranoid about reverse damper theory and drivetrain differences in clutches and flywheels to get my head into this area of the game... also, reminds me I still need to finish that Camaro Z/28 RM '69 tune... just got burnt out on it and too many other bits to do.

your info on initial torque is opposite. the lower the # the faster and easier it is to lock both tires together. easily noticable with some testing (set it to 5 and it locks right away set it to 60 and it takes a while maybe not even locking at all)

it is the amount of torque in a %age neccisary to lock it together so having it at 5 means it will lock after 5% torque goes to one wheel.\

edit: you can even notice it in your own testing and pictures where it shows the inside tire burning out around a corner, that shouldnt happen and is causing traction loss and therefore a loss in time.

Thank you so much!
It made so much clear of the Limited Slips' role on the car =)

EDIT: I have just been playing with the LSD for hours now on my Toyota Supra RZ (JZA80) and it runs very beautiful now. I put the acceleration a bit higher than what is suggested. I like to have a little bit of understeer.

your info on initial torque is opposite. the lower the # the faster and easier it is to lock both tires together. easily noticable with some testing (set it to 5 and it locks right away set it to 60 and it takes a while maybe not even locking at all)

it is the amount of torque in a %age neccisary to lock it together so having it at 5 means it will lock after 5% torque goes to one wheel.\

edit: you can even notice it in your own testing and pictures where it shows the inside tire burning out around a corner, that shouldnt happen and is causing traction loss and therefore a loss in time.

You're wrong. And the same picture is evidently used for each setting.

The higher the number the closer to locked it is. It's always been this way in GT series.

You sir' are wrong.

Testing with an Initial of 5 gave me a lap time of 0:53.609.

While increasing the Initial Torque value and that value only! The inside tire stops losing traction on corner exits and my lap times increase substantially.

Initial Torque of 5 --- 0:53.609
------------------------------------------------
Initial Torque of 60 --- 0:52.431

Run the test yourself and you'll see the same exact results as shown above.

I've done tests on the LSD too, although much more briefly than this.

I tested different cars and found that generally lower values will result in the inside wheel unloading first, and with high values the outside is more likely to spin first.

The Camaro loves spinning it's inside wheel (probably because it has a lot of weight up front, so there isn't much load on the rear axle as the car turns and the lighter wheel spins). So for this car, higher settings will help it channel more power through both wheels, and be faster, but this isn't true for all cars. There are many cars whose outside wheel will always be the first to go, right down until very low diff settings. This is affected by weight distribution and suspension and camber also...

The main goal with the LSD is to find the area that offers good traction to all driven wheels whilst the car is turning. The official description in the menu implies high settings = understeer, low settings = oversteer, but this is a stupid thing to say.

The following is my own theory, but I think it's sound.... :lol:

In an MR car, you get a LOT of load on the outside rear wheel with the position of the engine, and the car's weight shifting sideways and back due to cornering and acceleration forces. So the outside rear-wheel is under a lot of stress, and at the limit of grip before we try to pump 690BHP through it. So... predictably, when you try to get on the throttle, the outside rear breaks traction and results in horrible snap oversteer. In this scenario it's much better to make the diff very loose and let power through the lighter inside rear. This is what low settings will do, as your tests and mine show - Why it behaves this way, I can't fully explain.

In FR cars, thanks to the weight distribution, the outside rear is not under as much stress from the load of the car and the inside rear wheel will usually spin first when power is put through the rear axle. You can eliminate this with higher settings, but it doesn't really cause oversteer problems. Notice how stable the Camaro is under acceleration, despite it's constant burnouts.

I am talking about acceleration here, because it's the most critical one. Braking is a piece of cake! ;)

Last edited:
You sir' are wrong.

Testing with an Initial of 5 gave me a lap time of 0:53.609.

While increasing the Initial Torque value and that value only! The inside tire stops losing traction on corner exits and my lap times increase substantially.

Run the test yourself and you'll see the same exact results as shown above.

That is because it's better running an open diff around corners. The way to test how fast it locks is go on a straight stretch in something like the Speed 12 and floor it in 3rd gear.

With it at 5 both tires lock up together right away, evident on burnout marks, and with it on 60, one tire burns out for a long time before the other one kicks in.

Setting it at 60 is too high but yes you will get better times on most tracks that arent extremely tight, having it set around 30~ is optimum as it still lets it unlock around corners and such but locks up hard under acceleration like an lsd is supposed to.

Proof is if I set initial torque to 60 and go around a tight corner and floor it, only the inside tire will spin and it wont lock up and start drifting where if it is set to 5 it will lock together right away and the inside tire wont even burn out by itself at all.

Read the in game description, it CLEARLY states that the # is the amount of torque necessary to lock the LSD, so a lower # means lower torque to lock it, therefore a lower # means it will lock faster and easier because it doesnt need much torque applied to it. I dont see how you think opposite when it is clearly visible with 2 minutes of testing that Im right.

Closest to full lock is 5/60/60 and closest to full unlock is 60/5/5.

Im not even going to argue because I know that Im right and Im not explaining it to people who are obviously not comprehending what is said. Especially looking at your test where you have accel sens at the lowest which is a horrible way to test the LSD locking strength.

You can just look at the pictures, inside tire fire around a corner means the diff isnt locking, and the outside tire burning out and the inside tire not burning out ISNT POSSIBLE in real life, and the only reason it happens in this game is because the diff is fully locked

Even better, just set your diff on any higher powered RWD car to 5/60/20 and floor it on top gear track to see how fast the tires lock together and leave symmetrical burnout marks, then do it again at 60/60/20 and you will see that one tire burns out before the other, hence it not locking as hard or fast.

Last edited:
I've done tests on the LSD too, although much more briefly than this.

I tested different cars and found that generally lower values will result in the inside wheel unloading first, and with high values the outside is more likely to spin first.

The Camaro loves spinning it's inside wheel (probably because it has a lot of weight up front, so there isn't much load on the rear axle as the car turns and the lighter wheel spins). So for this car, higher settings will help it channel more power through both wheels, and be faster, but this isn't true for all cars. There are many cars whose outside wheel will always be the first to go, right down until very low diff settings. This is affected by weight distribution and suspension and camber also...

The main goal with the LSD is to find the area that offers good traction to all driven wheels whilst the car is turning. The official description in the menu is that high settings = understeer, low settings = oversteer, but this is a stupid thing to say.

The following is my own theory, but I believe it's sound:

In an MR car, you get a LOT of load on the outside rear wheel with the position of the engine, and the car's weight shifting sideways and back due to cornering and acceleration forces. So the outside rear-wheel is under a lot of stress, and more likely to break traction than the inside before we add the forces of 690BHP. Now, when your car is leaning heavily on it's outside rear in a turn, the last thing you want is to light up that wheel as you try to put power through it. That will result in snap oversteer. In this scenario it's better to let power go through the inside rear, and this is what low settings will do, as your tests and mine show.

I am talking about acceleration here, because it's the most critical one. Braking is a piece of cake! ;)

Well what you're saying about the Camaro is opposite because you need a lower # Initial torque to prevent the inside wheel spin around corners, and the In game description even shows that having a lower # means it locks faster especially mentioning oversteer, do you really think that having it set lowest at 5 (which they say increases oversteer) is going to one-tire-fire ever? No, because it isnt going to, they are locked together right away and that is why it increases oversteer so much.

Setting it at 60 is too high but yes you will get better times on most tracks that arent extremely tight,

Proof is if I set initial torque to 60 and go around a tight corner and floor it, only the inside tire will spin and it wont lock up and start drifting where if it is set to 5 it will lock together right away and the inside tire wont even burn out by itself at all.

Im not even going to argue because I know that Im right

You are wrong. Results show that a low Initial Torque setting SPINS THE INSIDE TIRE with ease!

Setting the Initial to 60 provides a faster lap time on Tsukuba! a tight track and on top of that the Inside tire doesn't burn.

Well what you're saying about the Camaro is opposite because you need a lower # Initial torque to prevent the inside wheel spin around corners, and the In game description even shows that having a lower # means it locks faster especially mentioning oversteer, do you really think that having it set lowest at 5 (which they say increases oversteer) is going to one-tire-fire ever? No, because it isnt going to, they are locked together right away and that is why it increases oversteer so much.

Lower Initial Torque settings doesn't PREVENT THE INSIDE TIRE FROM SPINNING! it increases it! good lord look at these results people!!!

You are wrong. Results show that a low Initial Torque setting SPINS THE INSIDE TIRE with ease!

Setting the Initial to 60 provides a faster lap time on Tsukuba! a tight track and on top of that the Inside tire doesn't burn.

wow buds you are so smart, look at your own results and pictures and WHAT DO YOU KNOW! ALL OF THEM HAVE INITIAL TORQUE AT 5
not even gonna reply anymore because of the sheer stupidity in this forum, you didnt even test it right and dont even know how to do it if you were going to anyways, you MUST have accel sens at max to test it properly

do this and come back to me

5/60/20 and 60/60/20.

60/60/20 doesnt lock like 5/60/20 does.

like if you are going to spread false information then dont even ****ing post your little test thread buddy, you straight up failed with your test and have no clue how it works and you need to read the in game description and roll around in the pile of stupidity you keep crappin out

PS, you say it increases inside wheel spin around corners yet I get none whatsoever with initial torque at 5 and i do with it at 60, both with accel at max, and im doing it right now so im pretty sure im gonna go with what i know, and have observed over the last 2 months of constantly playing this game

Last edited:

Initial set at 5 --- Accel set at 5 --- Decel set at 5

Initial set at 25 --- Accel set at 5 --- Decel set at 5
  • Decrease in Inside tire losing traction ( only on the tighter turns ).
  • Slight under-steer increase.

Initial set at 60 --- Accel set at 5 --- Decel set at 5
  • * Slight loss in traction only on turns (4) and (8) which are tight hairpins. Quickly regains traction, barely leaves a visual skid mark.

wow buds you are so smart, look at your own results and pictures and WHAT DO YOU KNOW! ALL OF THEM HAVE INITIAL TORQUE AT 5
not even gonna reply anymore because of the sheer stupidity in this forum, you didnt even test it right and dont even know how to do it if you were going to anyways, you MUST have accel sens at max to test it properly

do this and come back to me

5/60/20 and 60/60/20.

60/60/20 doesnt lock like 5/60/20 does.

like if you are going to spread false information then dont even ****ing post your little test thread buddy, you straight up failed with your test and have no clue how it works and you need to read the in game description and roll around in the pile of stupidity you keep crappin out

Initial Torque -- Controls the differential as a whole, and as such it will act to increase of decrease the accel/decel settings themselves. It also determines how responsive the differential itself is.

Setting the initial value to 5 will result in the LSD acting as an 'open' differential and a setting of 60 will result in the LSD acting as a 'locked' differential.

Last edited:
Initial set at 5 --- Accel set at 5 --- Decel set at 5

Initial set at 25 --- Accel set at 5 --- Decel set at 5
  • Decrease in Inside tire losing traction ( only on the tighter turns ).
  • Slight under-steer increase.

Initial set at 60 --- Accel set at 5 --- Decel set at 5
  • * Slight loss in traction only on turns (4) and (8) which are tight hairpins. Quickly regains traction, barely leaves a visual skid mark.

Initial Torque -- Controls the differential as a whole, and as such it will act to increase of decrease the accel/decel settings themselves. It also determines how responsive the differential itself is.

Setting the initial value to 5 will result in the LSD acting as an 'open' differential and a setting of 60 will result in the LSD acting as a 'locked' differential.

Nope you are wrong. You need the Accel Sens to be at 60 for all of the tests. All of my tests show that Initial Torque at 5 causes the inside tire to never spin by itself and if you floor it it locks right away and starts drifting around a corner, and that Initial Torque at 60 makes it so the inside tire spins by itself and not lock up under acceleration for a little while, both have accel sens at maximum. Proof right there.

you also need to test it on a straight stretch where you can try light both tires up at once and then you will notice that having it at 60 makes it hard to lock up and it prefers to just burn one tire in a straight line.

AGAIN READ THE IN GAME DESCRIPTION

I honestly think that it is purely a %age of wheel spin difference allowed before it locks, where a lower % means the wheels can only turn at speeds that differ 5% from each other where having it at 60 lets one wheel be able to spin 50% faster then the other, and therefore take 50% more torque then the other wheel before it locks.

Just think about it for a bit test it a bit more and you will see. Im done arguing here because its just pointless, but you really, really do need to do some more testing and realize that a low # means it locks hard and fast.

I COMPLETELY agree with you on the Initial Torque part, but Im just saying that having a lower # means it will let the wheel speed difference differ less (5% as opposed to 60%)

Another thing is having it at 60/60 will make it lock fast still but will also cause single wheel spin before it kicks in fully, as it is always engaged to some extent.

sorry poppins. itstheDRE4M is right. if the diff was locked when going round a corner then both wheels would have to be spinning the same speed but as you're going round a corner one wheel has to spin faster to maintain grip which a locked diff will not let it do.

initial torque should be called torques sensitivity or something cos that's what it actually does.

I COMPLETELY agree with you on the Initial Torque part, but Im just saying that having a lower # means it will let the wheel speed difference differ less (5% as opposed to 60%)

Another thing is having it at 60/60 will make it lock fast still but will also cause single wheel spin before it kicks in fully, as it is always engaged to some extent.

This isn't percentages it's only values. Higher = harder just as it is with suspension. Higher = Locked just as it says in Scaffs guide, just as it has been in all Gran Turismos, just as it says in the game.

sorry poppins. itstheDRE4M is right. if the diff was locked when going round a corner then both wheels would have to be spinning the same speed but as you're going round a corner one wheel has to spin faster to maintain grip which a locked diff will not let it do.

initial torque should be called torques sensitivity or something cos that's what it actually does.

Finally someone to help me defend this crap. Thanks.

Youre just plain stupid and wont take any proper advice. Have fun with your open diff ;)

The guy who defended you even showed that Im right, having it locked around a corner causes the back end to slide out and start drifing and unlocked will cause inside tire spin.

Going around a corner the diff is never locked fully btw. You havent tested it on a straight stretch like I said. Im really temped to take a video of the car Im driving right now to prove how stupid you are in the fact that it is unlocked when initial torque is high and locked when it is low.

Look again.

i5, a 5 = inside tyre wheelspin.
i5, a 25 = outside tyre wheelspin.

and with acceleration constant, adjusting initial:

i5, a5 = inside tyre wheelspin.
i50, a 5 = no wheelspin.

It's hard to discuss this when you are so aggressive and have the figures backwards.

Last edited:
Youre just plain stupid and wont take any proper advice. Have fun with your open diff ;)

The guy who defended you even showed that Im right, having it locked around a corner causes the back end to slide out and start drifing and unlocked will cause inside tire spin.

Going around a corner the diff is never locked fully btw. You havent tested it on a straight stretch like I said. Im really temped to take a video of the car Im driving right now to prove how stupid you are in the fact that it is unlocked when initial torque is high and locked when it is low.

Yes!!! Having it locked causes the car to OVERSTEER! and having it OPEN causes Inside Tire Spin!!! JUST AS MY RESULTS SHOW DUMBASS~!

Look again.

i5, a 5 = inside tyre wheelspin.
i5, a 25 = outside tyre wheelspin.

He just doesn't get it.. lets just ignore him.

I get this on my TVR Speed 12.

Racing Softs for Max Grip.

5/60/20 Causes instant tires to lock up while launching in a drag race, Causes diff to be really close to lock around corners and lets the inside tire not spin at all around corners, as well as losing outside tire grip while accelerating

60/60/20 Causes one tire to burn out and make skidmarks on launch for a few seconds before the 2nd tire kicks in and starts laying rubber, Causes Diff to be unlocked around corners and makes the inside tire spin first, but still locks up after a second and losing outside tire grip (due to accel sensitivity still being set to max) if accel is set to minimum it will not lock up AT ALL while cornering and will cause massive one tire fire.

Im done here. Im right you are wrong. Your tests even prove your wrong you are just too dumb to know how it even works and shouldnt even have posted this thread in the first place because you are just spreading false information.

crikey poppins. all I know is that when I set initial torque to 60 and accelerate round a bend the outside tyre lights right up leading me to believe the diff is locking setting to 5 in some cars makes inside tyre light up in a few of my cars but in most both tyres heat evenly.

if that's wrong then fine it's just what I've learned so far by playing with the game.

Yes!!! Having it locked causes the car to OVERSTEER! and having it OPEN causes Inside Tire Spin!!! JUST AS MY RESULTS SHOW DUMBASS~!

He just doesn't get it.. lets just ignore him.

If you dont realize what Ive been saying this whole time is that your WHOLE TEST AND ALL RESULTS ARE FLAWED AND WRONG

you need accel sens at max.

w.e though im done and you still havent tested it like i said

read the ****ING IN GAME DESCRIPTION it even says a lower # will cause understeer due to it being locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back