• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 770 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Time for a new thread on Major League Baseball... This thread is all about the 2011 of Major League Baseball. This is for all the different news notes and such. Everyone's chasing the San Francisco Giants to try to win the 2011 World Series. Thirty teams. Two leagues with three divisions each. Interleague play in two different stretches. One All-Star team for a little World Series advantage. One champion. Who will take home the title in 2011?

Welcome to a new season, players! Let's play ball (or at least... talk Major League Baseball)!

Who will take home the title in 2011?

Same division, different team: Dodgers!
los_angeles_dodger_stadium_aerial21.jpg

You think the Dodgers going to win it all? Congratulations- welcome to Prosthetic's dark side.

Who will take home the title in 2011?

I'm not implying that this is accurate or not,but here's what Vegas has to say about MLB 2011.

Vegas Insider

Tribes chances of winning it all - 200 to 1
Tribes chances of winning the American league pennant - 100 to 1
Even Vegas knows that we will suck this year.

:lol:

The Astros will obviously take it all, with all our proven talent!

No wait, that doesn't really make sense, does it?

2005 was a long time ago.

I'll still try to go to a few games.

The one thing that concerns me about the Astros is their continued development with some of their younger players. I still anticipate the usual suspects to deliver for Houston. I'm not even sure if the new HD screen at Minute Maid Park will give the Astros a lift. What matters to me, however, is high-definition hitting and pitching from the entire roster. I think many are probably predicting us to be middle of the road in the NL Central and almost a no-factor in the National League overall. That is... unless we can go on a little run that makes the Astros contenders (even if for the NL Wild Card). But for right now, I don't really see the Astros mustering up much of anything to really be any factor. I'm not expecting anything like a 21st century version of the 1998 Houston Astros with this 2011 squad.

Nicksflix brought in the American League, so I'll carry that on. I seem to favor teams like the Angels, the Twins, the Rays, and of course... the Yankees and Red Sox. I'm an Astros fan that also has love for our Interleague rivals, the Texas Rangers. I think the Royals and Tigers would be solid opposition in the AL as well this season.

Miguel Cabrera was busted for a DUI last night. That's going to be a huge blow to the Tiger's offence if he can't play, although he does deserve what he gets.

Well maybe someone else on the Tiger's will step it up and fill his shoes. Even if he is allowed to play, Detroit fans will boo him to no end.

Miguel Cabrera was busted for a DUI last night. That's going to be a huge blow to the Tiger's offence if he can't play, although he does deserve what he gets.

Well maybe someone else on the Tiger's will step it up and fill his shoes. Even if he is allowed to play, Detroit fans will boo him to no end.

Awesome mugshot.

miguel-cabrera-mug-shot.jpg

Even better:

The 27-year-old Cabrera was spotted by a deputy in a car with a smoking engine alongside a road in Fort Pierce. Inside the vehicle, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and took a swig from a bottle of scotch in front of a deputy, according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office. He refused to cooperate and more deputies were called to the scene.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tigers-cabrera

Baseball Prospectus has also released updated 2011 PECOTA projections because the first ones were way off. I'll post them when they hit the blog-o-sphere since I don't have a BP subscription.

I found out my Astros will begin the season at Philadelphia. So I guess we stand as much of a chance of starting strong like my 2010 Houston Rockets. Yay...

It'll be hard to compete against the Brewers and the Reds. Carlos Pena should do well in Wrigley. The NL Central looks a helluva lot more competitive than it did at the start of last season. If the Astros meet any sort of success this year, I'd be shocked (not trying to be a hater, just being honest). Does Houston have a decent farm system?

Awesome mugshot.

miguel-cabrera-mug-shot.jpg

Even better:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tigers-cabrera

Baseball Prospectus has also released updated 2011 PECOTA projections because the first ones were way off. I'll post them when they hit the blog-o-sphere since I don't have a BP subscription.

All Marlins are hardcore boozers. You gotta have a thick liver to play in our dump. My friend's wife saw Dan Uggla put away bottles of hooch at a bar the night before they had an afternoon game. It's kind of appropriate that all of these ex-Marlins guy drink like... fish.

The Astros have a... okay farm system. Trouble for my boys is that we just don't have enough talent to really make any significant noise. Round Rock is no longer our Triple-A unit (Round Rock Express now the AAA affiliate of the Texas Rangers). Our new Triple-A is the Oklahoma City Redhawks.

If anything, I am just really concerned that we're not going to do much of anything, and will mostly amount to nothing. Now before you go telling me to stop whining or anything, I am not saying we're going to win 40 or less games. I'm just saying we're not equipped well enough to really make any significant noise. The Astros just have to make the most with what they have, even if it isn't enough. Our biggest concerns are hitting and pitching. I think we can still win at least 60 games.

I just don't know, GTP. I just don't know if the Astros can really emerge or become competitive. The March games may be a good indication of finding out what talent we do have. One thing's for sure- I will rooting for my boys like we have a chance at the World Series.

All Marlins baseball players are hardcore boozers. You gotta have a thick liver to play in ourthese dumps. My friend's wife saw Dan Uggla put away bottles of hooch at a bar the night before they had an afternoon game. It's kind of appropriate that all of these ex-Marlins guys current-and-former MLB players drink like... fishthe Irish.

/Fixed. (I like to paint with broad strokes...)

Put google to use and search for stories about the time when Swisher and Zito were on the A's. Absolutely legendary. I like to think the only player who doesn't party hard is Josh Hamilton, but we all know that he's had his fun:

504x_custom_1249711403362_josh-hamilton-009.jpg

Just to be clear, I love the game of baseball, I've had the pleasure of being friends with a few professional ballplayers, and I was mostly joking when I edited your post :)

I'm really hoping the Twins have a good season so at least we can have 1 team that doesn't completely suck.

Really hoping I get a chance to go to a game this year, really wanted to last year but didn't get the opportunity. May just hop on a train(goes right from a stop by my house to the stadium) and go myself during a day game.

I'm really hoping the Twins have a good season so at least we can have 1 team that doesn't completely suck.

Really hoping I get a chance to go to a game this year, really wanted to last year but didn't get the opportunity. May just hop on a train(goes right from a stop by my house to the stadium) and go myself during a day game.

If I travelled half way around the planet to go to opening day 2009 in Toronto, you have no excuses for not getting on a train to go a few stops:D. OK, so I was in Toronto anyway to see my girlfriend's family, but thats not the point.

I have to say, Im liking the moves that the Jays have made over the off season. It was a huge effort for them to get rid of Wells' contract, a little sad to see him go, but the contract had to. No idea how the bullpen is going to look, they have more relief pitchers than you can poke a stick at. Hopefully they can at least be still in the mix for a playoff spot going into the last month of the season.

I think the Twins are going to be just fine. They are no doubt a player and a force to be reckoned with in the AL. I'm thinking they'll have to contend against divisional foes like the Royals and the Tigers. They'll also need to do well against non AL Central teams. If they really want to sound off, beat teams like the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Angels, the Rays, teams like that (even the Rangers).

One other thing I wonder is (going back to the National League), can the Giants be as competitive this season as they've been last season? Could they even go back-to-back (or at least be NL Champions)?

My Astros will go to work for Spring games starting February 28, against the Braves.

If I travelled half way around the planet to go to opening day 2009 in Toronto, you have no excuses for not getting on a train to go a few stops:D. OK, so I was in Toronto anyway to see my girlfriend's family, but thats not the point.

All the games that were on my days off were either sold out or night games that could have left me stranded there(last departure from the stadium is rather early and if the game were to happen to go into extra innings you would miss it).

I think the Twins are going to be just fine. They are no doubt a player and a force to be reckoned with in the AL. I'm thinking they'll have to contend against divisional foes like the Royals and the Tigers. They'll also need to do well against non AL Central teams. If they really want to sound off, beat teams like the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Angels, the Rays, teams like that (even the Rangers).

I'm not really worried about other AL Central teams, Tigers could possibly challenge but they have a tendency to play below what they should. White Sox are iffy, they aren't exactly a young team, but Ozzy is a great manager so who knows what they might do. Kansas City lost Greinke so I don't see them challenging anyone and Cleveland is well... Cleveland.

It's really the Yankees and Red Sox I'm worried about, they normally do decent against the Sox but they haven't been good against the Yankees lately.

Are you sure you don't need to watch out for the ChiSox? Adam Dunn should fit like a glove in that lineup. Beckham and Ramirez are improving as well, and they still threaten to have breakout seasons.

I seriously doubt that the current ChiSox roster will be the one that they finish the season with. I'd also look out for them to move Buerle to an NL contender midseason, they already started talking about that being a possibility (although I was reading that they'd only make that move if they were struggling). Edwin Jackson seems to like pitching in Chicago. I expect the Sox and the Twins to battle it out this season, but I admit that I'm much better versed in the NL. I only really catch glimpses of the AL on Sportscenter and on blogs, mlb.com, etc.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit in the AL:
East: Boston
Central: Minnesota/Chicago (edge to Minnesota)
West: Texas/Oakland (heavy edge to Texas)
WC: New York/2nd place Central team (edge to Central teams)

The Giants have only played two games but won two! :D I know its spring training but I've been really pleased so far. DeRosa has been healthy and hes killing the ball and Sandoval apparently is a new man. Ford and Brown are showing off how ridiculously fast they are and Crawford and Culberson are showing off their defensive skills. And a few other things but so far I am very pleased. Although every spring you see highlights from the Grapefruit league and not the cactus league is getting sickening. No, I am not wowed by Joba's 123 inning which seems to be a career first I want to see my prospects playing dammit.

This year I wasn't going to go to spring training as I had to take care of my mother who unfortunately passed away a week ago. My dad sister and I decided to get out and drive down to spring training for a week to clear heads. Going to three games, one against the Brewers, Cubs and D-Backs. Leaving tomorrow morning can't wait to get back down in Scottsdale.

Sorry for your mother, Prosthetic. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I will try to catch some of the Astros' Spring Training games whether on TV or on the AM 740 here in Houston. We got the Braves in our first Spring Training match. The Braves are usually a very solid team, and I'm sure this year's Braves won't disappoint. They'll probably be up there contending for the NL East along with the Phillies and the Marlins.

If I had to pick NL favorites, I'm certainly feeling the Giants to win the NL West (unless the Dodgers have anything to say about that). The NL Central may come down to the Cubs and Cardinals (and maybe the Brewers). My only concern is if the whole Pujols deal will be a total distraction. I think the other NL East teams will be looking up at the Phillies as that team to knock off in the NL East. Other favorites are the Braves, Marlins, and MAYBE the Nationals.

The Braves had already played a Spring Training game, losing 5-4 to the Mets on Sunday. NYM had 7 hits compared to ATL's 6 hits.

I was at that second Giants game... You can't count that one, it was against a split-squad! :lol:

It was fun though, I got to see the Giants' Starting Five up close and personal. Buster Posey as well.

As a White Sox fan, I can tell you that the Twins will definitely not suck and I will loathe it, most of all in September.

One of the minor league managers from the Braves just had his left eye removed. He was hit in the eye by ball that was slugged by Brian McCann. The hit sent him to the deck and they initially thought it would be fatal. :ouch:

One of the minor league managers from the Braves just had his left eye removed. He was hit in the eye by ball that was slugged by Brian McCann. The hit sent him to the deck and they initially thought it would be fatal. :ouch:

Here come the batting helmet people again...

Back