Major League Baseball: 2011 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 770 comments
His legacy is already ruined, his record will forever be marked with an asterisk, his reputation unrepairable. The guy has suffered enough in my opinion for what he has done. If he was the only one using steroids at the time then I would understand everyone wanting to lynch him. But he was one of many, and many players got away with it. So no I don't think he deserves to go to jail over baseball. I understand he lied or what not, but at this point the public has turned him into a scapegoat and are determined to see him hang.

His legacy is already ruined, his record will forever be marked with an asterisk, his reputation unrepairable. The guy has suffered enough in my opinion for what he has done. If he was the only one using steroids at the time then I would understand everyone wanting to lynch him. But he was one of many, and many players got away with it. So no I don't think he deserves to go to jail over baseball. I understand he lied or what not, but at this point the public has turned him into a scapegoat and are determined to see him hang.

I think its two things that creates this venomous hate towards Bonds:

1. He lied about it and continues to lie about it. In general, people don't like to be made a fool.
2. What he did while he was allegedly on PEDs. The single season HR record has lost all of it's luster now.

At the minimum, I think he should be officially banned from the HoF and he should be officially stripped of the HR record. Clemens should be banned from the HoF, too, while we're on it. Neither will probably get banned though because Bud Selig has no spine. The voters will have to do their own banning. And even then after his voting period expires, Bonds can get in by the Veterans Committee like Phil Rizzuto did. So if Bonds can do some jail time and maybe get fined for lying to a grand jury, then at least there is some justice being done here.

As it is, the prosecutors will probably bumble this case and Bonds will get away scott-free. Again. Just watch. It sounds like they're already screwing up this tape recording thing.

2. What he did while he was allegedly on PEDs. The single season HR record has lost all of it's luster now.

Its lost its luster because of steroids in general. Barry Bonds just so happen to break the record while using steroids. The above statement could apply to McGuire or Sosa as well.
I think prisons should be reserved for murders and rapist. I don't even think drug users belong in prison. I see no justice in sending the guy to prison. Its not like he was distributing steroids to everyone he was just another user.

Its lost its luster because of steroids in general. Barry Bonds just so happen to break the record while using steroids. The above statement could apply to McGuire or Sosa as well.
I think prisons should be reserved for murders and rapist. I don't even think drug users belong in prison. I see no justice in sending the guy to prison. Its not like he was distributing steroids to everyone he was just another user.

McGwire and Sosa aren't high on my list either. They should get banned, too.

Nobody went to jail for using steroids. Andy Pettitte came out and said he used HGH and every one just forgot about it. Palmeiro got caught red handed, too, and nothing happened to him. If Bonds would have just admitted it, he wouldn't even be on trial right now, Selig wouldn't have punished him, and everyone would have forgotten about this. If Bonds is going to jail, it's because he lied to a grand jury, which is just stupid but it's his own fault, and I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Yes, I understand the Grand Jury part, he lied no way out of that. But honestly answer my question: Do you personally want to see him go to jail for lying or because he used steroids and tarnished the record?

I'm just saying I totally understand why the guy lied at the time. It's just his human nature, he didn't think the public would forgive him like they did A-rod or Pettite. It's not right but I see where the guys coming from, he's far from a perfect human being. And I feel the hate from the public is stemmed from the steroid use not from the fact he lied to the Grand Jury. I can be totally wrong too but I don't think anyone cares that he lied, they would hate him even if he didn't.

Honestly, I think I'm more upset with Selig for not doing jack about this whole thing. He should have nipped it in the butt to begin with. Tell me this - How are drugs that are illegal-without-a-prescription in the "real world" not banned in MLB? I don't even get that.

Bonds and the other big names are scapegoats, obviously. Everyone who used should be automatically banned from baseball, if you ask me. It's not in the spirit of the game. I don't think I want to see Bonds go down more than McGwire or Sosa, for instance, but I do think they should get punished for what they did - be it by MLB or in the court of law. Preferably, MLB. If Bud Selig is going to be all wishy-washy about this, it's somewhat comforting to see Bonds finally get punished by someone for something.

That may sound vindictive or harsh but the idea that these guys think they are above the law just irks me. It's the same feeling I get when I see a celebrity get out of a DUI or OJ Simpson literally getting away with murder. There's a double standard in our justice system and it's not right.

Bonds wont go to jail because its about him lying not if he used steroids. And its basically impossible at this point to prove he did or not. Its been pretty well known for awhile now that the Gov has nothing on him. And remember when he, McGuire, Sosa were allegedly roiding it wasn't actually illegal. EVERYONE except for a few were doing it. Every team was loaded with them, Bonds just so happened to already be one of the best players in history by the time he allegedly started.

I think that people are forgetting that a lot of the greatest players in history are known cheaters. Ruth was very well known for bending to rules and corking his bats. Hank Aaron used amphetamines. What about Pettite? He roided big time yet everyone seems to love him.

Bonds knows that he is pretty much untouchable at this point which is why he is fighting it. This is just the Gov't trying to control sports and wasting away over $100 million in tax payers dollars. Its ****ing ridiculous.

Barry Bonds won't go to jail, but he should if only because he let his trainer sit in there for how many years? That's extra cold. I wouldn't let someone I spent most of my life with go to jail for me just because I didn't want to admit that I knowingly used steroids. Honestly, I think that is the biggest crime. Players all through this game and many others (NFL, NBA, Boxing, Tour de France, etc.) have used steroids and I mostly agree with the argument that blames the era and not the individuals.

But, man, I don't know how you could let someone you've trusted like that sit in prison over something like steroids. Everyone believes that you took them. Your money, your fame, your family, and your die hard fans will still be there after you admit that you knew what you were doing with those injections. He should've gone the A-Rod and Andy Pettitte route and fessed up to it in the first place. Take your public shame, chase it with the eventual public redemption/acceptance (a'la Tiger Woods), and move on. Don't let someone sit in prison for you.

Barry Bonds won't go to jail, but he should if only because he let his trainer sit in there for how many years? That's extra cold. I wouldn't let someone I spent most of my life with go to jail for me just because I didn't want to admit that I knowingly used steroids. Honestly, I think that is the biggest crime. Players all through this game and many others (NFL, NBA, Boxing, Tour de France, etc.) have used steroids and I mostly agree with the argument that blames the era and not the individuals.

But, man, I don't know how you could let someone you've trusted like that sit in prison over something like steroids. Everyone believes that you took them. Your money, your fame, your family, and your die hard fans will still be there after you admit that you knew what you were doing with those injections. He should've gone the A-Rod and Andy Pettitte route and fessed up to it in the first place. Take your public shame, chase it with the eventual public redemption/acceptance (a'la Tiger Woods), and move on. Don't let someone sit in prison for you.

Exactly. Bonds is a d-bag. :lol:

I know that you're joking but that is literally most of the problem. If he had been a nicer guy throughout his career, I don't think people would've been so quick to jump all over him. If Lance Armstrong wasn't such a nice guy (publicly), they'd ban him from cycling and asterisk all of his victories. The public wants blood and they want it from someone villainous (not me! :scared:). No one has been more willing to step into that role than Barry Bonds. He's always had a reputation for scoffing and writers and being rude to the press. I don't necessarily blame him, because the press does usually seem to be full of a-holes and pious snots (like Bill Plaschke, ugh!), but that's the hole you dig and you have to accept it when some of that dirt comes falling back in.

Of course he won't, though. He never will. He'll come out of this trial claiming a victory. More bad things will be written about him. He'll wag his finger at everyone, and then go on with his life holding his nose above everyone else. They'll still love him in Frisco.*

• Los Gigantes are in San Diego. SD has taken an early lead, and it looks like Bumgarner made an early exit. I don't know what happened as I'm only able to follow the boxscore on Y!Sports at the moment. The Giants picked a good week to have to use the bullpen early with this week having 2 days off. Aaron Harang is on the mound in his San Diego debut.
  • Dodgers will be getting underway in Colorado shortly. Clayton Kershaw vs Jhoulys Chacin. Let's see if we can keep the ball rolling! Look for big games by James Loney and Andre Ethier, they have had success against Chacin. Hawpe was the Rockies' Kershaw antidote, but he's been shipped off.

*100% intentional. I know full well how much the Bay Area hates that term. ;)

Last edited:

Have you met the guy? I have three times and he was extremely nice on all three occasions. Hes not nice to the majority of the media that's not based in the Bay Area.

Do you honestly think Anderson isn't getting some under the table cash? If you don't you are out of your mind. There is a REASON why he is doing this, he and Bonds were best friends from the start and still are.

Bonds isn't as bad as people make him out to be. From what I hear from long time teammates is the polar opposite from what the crap you hear from the media. Ask Aurilia, Rueter, Nen, Snow etc.. They've all said on many occasions that he was a great teammate. Don't pay attention to the Kent/Bonds sideshows because the same thing happened down in LA when Kent was with the Bums. People who accuse Bonds of being a douche bag are either on his naughty list or never met him.

EDIT: Bumgarner left after one bad inning that could of been avoided if the Ump would of called a slider right down the middle a strike :S Or if he made the throw to first.

Yea man when I saw him cheering the Giants on during the world series he looked sincere. I kind of felt bad for him, he came so close himself.

Oh don't worry. I'm sure most of that was on Kent. He looks like a totally hard 🤬 and I used to absolutely hate his guts when he was in San Francisco. I also don't doubt the under-the-table cash, but honestly, I think that makes it worse! You'd rather pay someone to go to jail for you than to fess up in the first place. You'd rather play baseball with performance enhancers than to work out and play the game right in the first place. I'd never let my best friend go to jail because I didn't want to hurt my public image, and I wouldn't buy his loyalty either. I don't pay much mind to what teammates have said because that is pretty much irrelevant to my point. My point was 100% based off of his interactions to the media and its affect on the media's treatment of him.

Anyways, Barry Bonds doesn't pretend to be a classy guy. His public actions don't show him to be one. That's the point. That's why people have been so quick to jump on him. Same goes for Roger Clemens. You can't be above your own actions. Period. I'm just glad that those guys are all out of the game. I don't read the stories about them and I generally tune out when I hear their names on ESPN. I care about what's going on today and tomorrow. History has shown what happens to people who dig their own graves, so I'm just going to let them have at it while I focus on the positives and enjoy the game.

As an aside, when you started mentioning that old Giants team it really brings up emotions. Aurelia, Kent (I never much liked him as a Dodger, to be honest), and co. were just :yuck:. I really hated that team. I was so happy when they collapsed in Anaheim! :lol:

I loved that old team.. Good pitching and a beastly lineup. Burks, Bonds, Kent, Aurilia was awesome to watch. Patience, loads of power and speed.

EDIT: BTW no one knows the REAL story. For all we know the idea that Anderson lied too Bonds about the clear like other clients could be true. We can't pretend we know what happened because we have no idea.

That's true, but you have to be 10 kinds of naive to beleive the Bonds did not use PEDs.

I don't need to re-read it. I got it right the first time and my response reflects that. I wasn't trying to disagree with you, merely add to the point. Notice how I said "that's true." Anways, I've been over Barry Bonds for about a year and a half now, so I'm all set to worry about tonights' games. I'm at work, so I have to find a TV with the game on around here somewhere!

This umpire so freakin dumb. Breaking ball low and away off the plate below the knees that the catcher can't handle and its called strike three to Posey.

Score update, Dodgers lost 0-3 to the Rockies and their record now stands at 3-2. Great pitching by Chacin limited the Dodgers' offense, only a few hits from our lefties but they all came without being much of a threat. Tulo hit his first home run off of Clayton Kershaw to break open the game 0-1 in the 4th inning.

We'll look to break even tomorrow against the six and a half foot tall Jason Hammel in a day game. It'll be regular starters, including the return of Casey Blake from the DL. The mystery will be who loses a spot for his return (I'm going to guess Ivan De Jesus, Jr.).

Bah, Hamels got lit up big time last night, giving up six runs in one inning in a 7-1 loss to the Mets. The Phils did end up with seven hits, but only scored one run. To rub a bit of salt in the wound, the Mets and Phils are now tied for the division lead.

On a happier note, though, the Red Sox dropped another one, and are still looking for their first win.

Baltimore still undefeated! How long can they keep this up? (yeah, I know it's only four games, but even so.)

On the Bonds situation: Perjury is a serious offense, for good reason. If he did commit perjury, he should go to jail. Not for steroid use, but for lying under oath.

I didn't get to catch todays' Dodger game, but they lost their second in a row to the Rockies (now sitting at 3-3). There's some silver lining in the activation of Casey Blake and that our offense was able to show some power. James Loney and Rod Barajas hit their first home runs of the season, Casey Blake went 2-3 with a triple in his first AB of 2011, and Kemp hit another double. Dodgers lost 5-7 while goin 1-11 with RISP :yuck:.

The Club is almost whole, now we await the 2011 debut of 5th starter Jon Garland and the ultra-versatile bullpen presence of Vicente Padilla. I'm looking forward to the series in San Diego this weekend, for sure. There aren't very many hitters on that roster who are known to have had success against Dodgers' pitching.

Last edited:
Astros failed to do a damn thing after leading 4-0 after one inning, as we failed (again) 12-4. We're 0-5 to start (we started 0-8 last season) 2011. Good thing tomorrow afternoon's game is radio only because I can't stand watching this team fall apart. Almost as if we need to forfeit tomorrow afternoon's game and just head home to Houston to hopefully get some home cooking going after taking on two division leaders to start the season.

Typical Houston teams- slow starters. We're more like a 6-gear car that only has Reverse, Neutral, and 1st Gear working. Right now, it's stuck in 1st. Too bad 1st doesn't reflect our NL or NL Central standings right now...

Yeah, Cincy's off to an awesome start there, for sure. The Orioles lost, leaving the Reds and the Rangers as the only undefeated teams so far.

I can sympathize with the Astros fans here; as a long-time Phillies fan I've been there enough times myself. I'd love to see a replay of the 1980 NLCS (best series evah!) but sadly I don't see it happening this year.

Astros win! Its our first win of 2011. We won 3-2 at the Reds earlier today. So we're now 1-5 on the season. Up next is a three-game home set against the Florida Marlins. Florida is always a tough out, and I'm not expecting this one to be any different. I just hope we can get some good home cooking to perhaps reel off a few more wins on the season.

Well, I feel good. How are your team(s) doing?

Sorry to rain on your NL discussion, but I really didn't expect the O's to be top of the AL East and Boston/TB both at 0-6 after a week. Not entirely surprised that Tampa aren't going well, they lost a bunch of good players over the off season and Longoria being injured doesn't help.
It also seems that the Blue Jays picked up where they left off last season with the long ball - at least one in every game until todays, even without Bautista against Oakland.

I'm not surpised that Baltimore is doing well. They have a solid team (could probably use an upgrade with the pitching, though). Things will even out, but I hope that Buck can keep the train a'chuggin. I love it when the AL East is topped by someone other than BOS/NYY.

Last edited:
Back